PDA

View Full Version : Any other Ubuntu Linux users here (Debian)?

J-Pak
10-11-2004, 11:37 PM
www.ubuntulinux.org

I've been running it for the past few days now, dual booting with XP Pro on my laptop and so far it is the easiest yet most versatile distro I have ever used. It detected all of my hardware perfectly (minus NIC, which wasn't plugged into the network). I managed to get everything up and running in under 2 hours; record time for linux.

Its also based off of Debian so it has all those good features. They might still be running the promotion where they will send you a free cd (no shipping charges either) so might want to see if you can still get that :)

masterofpuppets
10-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Never used ubuntu but I have debian 3. Definately my favorite distribution. Debian is not for linux newbies to be honest. It didn't detect about half of my hardware and I had to update it to kernel 2.6 before SATA worked properly. Debian really should include 2.6 with the download. But once you get it working, it's pretty good. It can't beat FreeBSD for packages system. Ok, so debian has its own package format and has APT for updating, but FreeBSD is just as easy. You can just get a fast connection and update the ports collection with a command ;>

Crankster
10-12-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm running knoppix, yes i am a n00b.
At least it's debian based so i guess it isn't totally OT
:(

masterofpuppets
10-13-2004, 04:11 AM
Hey, knoppix ain't too noobish. Look at SuSE or Mandrake if you want noobiness. Anything based on BSD or Debian is good in most cases. Both BSD based and Debian based systems are very stable and reliable.

J-Pak
10-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Hey, knoppix ain't too noobish. Look at SuSE or Mandrake if you want noobiness. Anything based on BSD or Debian is good in most cases. Both BSD based and Debian based systems are very stable and reliable.

Glad to see someone who is open minded to both BSD and nix. Seems like most forum posters (on other forums) are die hard fans of one or the other.

I personnally haven't FreeBSD yet since I don't have any servers and I guess most people don't regard it as anything great for just a desktop environment?

masterofpuppets
10-14-2004, 05:51 AM
To be honest, if you have an nvidia card, freebsd is suitable as an opengl gaming platform since nvidia make 3D drivers for it. ATi on the otherhand is restricted to 2D mode unless you have a 9200 or less.