PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Powerstream, noise and fan speed / led strength?

phungus
10-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to kill some of this noise in my system. I'm running a Coolermaster CM Stacker case with the stock fans, plus a couple of 80mm's in the bottom. I have a Zalman 7000 HSF and all of it together is very quiet when just the motherboard has power (to test just the fans and all).

Once I hook up all my drives and everything, the OCZ 520W I have makes my system much louder. I have noticed that sometimes the green LED inside goes a little dimmer, and the noise goes away, but the fans are still going. I know this has something to do with the noise killer tech inside the unit, but I don't know what's triggering it.

My system is an Asus P4C800-E Dlx, with 2.8C. Radeon 9800XT card, One SATA Maxtor 120, Two IDE Maxtor 160's, One Pioneer DVD-RW. The system has two Thermaltake 80mm Thunderblade fans, two stock Coolermaster 120mm fans, one Coolermaster 80mm fan, a Zalman OP-1 fan on the video card (I have the big VGA heatpipe unit), and of course the Zalman 7000AlCu.

I'm not overclocking and I have all the voltages set at stock.

I don't see how in the world a 520W OCZ Powerstream would be pegged enough that it would need to set the fans on high. It just doesn't seem right. I haven't touched the voltage rails on the back, though they all show green.

I'm going to unplug some drives and fans to see if it gets better, but does this sound like the way it should be working?

Jeff

bito
10-14-2004, 08:55 AM
I've just bought one of these and as soon as the power cable is plugged in it starts making a buzzing noise from inside.....very annoying sound too.....this is without pc even switched on !!
Going to ask for a replacement and if that is the same then i'll look elsewhere.

phungus
10-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Just wanting to see if anyone had any suggestions before I void my warranty and replace the fans... :(