PDA

View Full Version : AMD IHS with chilled water / phase

zakelwe
10-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Hello,

I've gone from air cooling to chilled water recently and from 2500 to 2750 or so on my AMD64 3400. However yesterday it cut off after boot and managing a quick look in the BIOS before it flaked out again showed a temp of 118C . Which is quite warm.

I thought the cold temps ( the chilled water is at -20C ) might have popped off the IHS and no contact was being made, but taking the chip out I was surprised to see a bubble come out from between the IHS and the pcb that holds the chip. Looking at the pictures on the IHS sticky thread on this part of the forum it seems that the rubber joining gasket is not all the way around and thus air (and moisture), can get into the insides of the package. Being drunk I then took the IHS off with a knife but, being also drunk, converted my 754 into a 753 :D oops.

Therefore I am going to get a nice cheap AMD Newcastle to get more experience with, however I would like some advice from other people on what they do with phase or chilled to get me off on the right foot.

As far as I can see options can be

1) Take the IHS off ( whilst sober ;) ) smother the resisters on the PCB with something waterproof and use without the IHS

2) Seal up the gap in the rubber gasket so that no misture can get in ( though I do wonder why AMD left it open, maybe an air tight seal is not good for the remaining air in there expanding when heated) ?

3) Take off the IHS, slap waterproofing agent on the resisters and then epoxy the IHS back on after removing the thermal gunk on the chip and applying Artic Silver or ceramic, leave the air gap there.

4) Just use a hairdryer to dry out the chip after runs ( not sure how effective this rather simple technique is ).

Sorry for the long post, any advice appreciated !

Regards

Andy

Garrett
10-09-2004, 01:39 AM
I'd go for option 1, no IHS!

I doubt you will get better temps with it on...

Walrusbonzo
10-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Get some Neoprene and/or seal string. Take the IHS off the CPU and when you've got yer WB on it seal it all up and make it air tight :)