PDA

View Full Version : Corsair XMS3202v1.1 ?

N8
10-30-2002, 06:40 AM
Finally broke down and bought some new memory. I was lucky enough to order this DIMM from newegg last week before memory prices just jumped up like $20(got it for $99). Breaks my heart to finally move on past my cheap Sammy that has been doin me so good for so long, lol.

Anywayz, I got the DIMM now and the label reads as shown below. What's the 3202 mean? I've been to the Corsair site but I'm not sure how to research this.

Must say, I'm not too impressed with their heat spreaders either, lol. They're on crooked & held on w/ tape. My Mushkin PC3200 that I bought a while back looked like much better quality, but ended up not clocking as well as my Sammy :)

Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to put it in and see how it performs ;)

Marci
10-30-2002, 06:44 AM
It's just a misprint by Corsair on the stickers m8... don't worry bout it...

I actually put it on our site as XMS3202 and got a phone call of em telling me to change it to XMS3200 cos it had been a printing error...

What you've got there is the standard 256Mb XMS3200 C2 v1.1, WInbond 6ns Chips I think... Same stuff as the Platinum just with the black heatspreaders.... I ripped the spreaders off neways and plonked on the old thermaltake blue-spikey sinks... gettin to be quite a lot o them in my system at the mo!

N8
10-30-2002, 06:50 AM
Thanks Marci.

I'd considered using those Thermaltake heatsinks as well, but it looks like a capacitor on the 8K3A would hit 1 of them :)

Wonder if the Thermaltake copper spreaders used w/ some Arctic Alumina would keep it a lil cooler than the stock Corsair spreaders? The look like plain ole aluminum to me ;)

MrIcee
10-30-2002, 08:01 AM
N8:)

Another point worth making is that from my experience and many others, that ram needs extended burn-in to perform at it's full potential and beyond...so run some extended Sandra burn in, gradually increase FSB and voltage, and run max timings in doing so. It will come around and really perform beyond expectations..but be patient:)

Randi:D

N8
10-30-2002, 08:14 AM
Thanks Randi. Shame my patience is shot, but I'll try ;)

JCviggen
10-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Also, the Corsair (Winbond) doesnt like very tight timings ... you can get great performance out of them but thats at very high speeds at medium timings... well with a P4 thats the case anyway

SKATAN
10-30-2002, 10:24 AM
good luck :)

your ticket to 15k :)

N8
10-30-2002, 10:40 AM
lol. I really do hate to get ridda that Sammy stick. Its in the Classifieds btw...been a good DIMM for me :)

SKATAN
10-30-2002, 11:05 AM
so much for the value machine :)

how much did cost your custom WC ?

my corsair 3200 c2.5 was second hand smoke and cheap ;)

and it pretty much sucks too

lots of crash to desktop at 196 :\ I have to be really patient to do a complete run :( , crashing to dsktop in nature is so frstrating :(

Im thinking of selling my crucial 256 2100 and corsair 256 3200 c2.5 , and getting a geil 512 c2 :)

and im not looking forward to bench again I´d rather enjoy Hitman 2 and Need for Speed HP2 , it´s more fun and the and the only valueable purpose of owning a 3d vid card on a PC (3d gaming)

oh and ut2k3 really owns too :)

N8
10-30-2002, 11:29 AM
My pump was $19(Via Aqua 1300), my rad was $18(Chevette heatercore), & my WB was $50(D-Tek Spir@l...that 1 hurt, but it is a sweet block)...got the tubing/fittings free thru work...had the rad fans here from an old project that never happened ;)

I don't plan on benching for long...I just wanna put up a score that actually represents my rig, and then I'm done...I certainly don't find it more fun than gaming either :p This is why I chose to use clips for the vmod as I can install/remove it in about 10 mins.

I didn't go with the water for added performance initially...I just wanted to quiet my rig down, but I couldn't believe how much it dropped my load temps down over my AX-7/Tornado combo once I installed it...very happy w/ that decision :)

I actually also got a pretty dern good deal on the Corsair as I bought it right before these price increases...so if I figure my cost vs what I _should_ be able to bring for the sammy, my net pay out should be minimal.

Hopefully it will not perform like my Mushkin 3200 which got sent back...my Sammy owned that mushkin(C2.5 tho). :D

P.S. Here's a pic of my rig as I bench it, lol. Just found it on my hd, thought I'd post it:

N8
10-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Its off-topic, but wth...he's another closer-up pic that you can kinda see the vmod:

mike.elmes
10-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by MrIcee
N8:)

Another point worth making is that from my experience and many others, that ram needs extended burn-in to perform at it's full potential and beyond...so run some extended Sandra burn in, gradually increase FSB and voltage, and run max timings in doing so. It will come around and really perform beyond expectations..but be patient:)

Randi:D
What program(s) is best for burning in ram?? I just picked up some OCZ 3500 enhanced latency....and it needs some burn in.

NICE Rig N8 !!!!

docah
10-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Prime, folding, seti, sandra burn in, toast, there was a memory testing program that might be better than those though... can't remember the exact name.

N8
10-30-2002, 12:02 PM
Doesn't the duct-tape/cardboard shroud just highlite the whole masterpiece :D

SKATAN
10-30-2002, 12:59 PM
thick hoses :D

I dont WC for three reasons

lazyness , portability for lan .. , lazyness

:D

Raptor
10-31-2002, 02:55 AM
you should try it skatan... if you need help, just ask...

Marci
10-31-2002, 04:17 AM
Nice to know I'm not the only one who resorts to gaffa-tape for most of his budget PC Mods...

That radiator looks similar to mine [N8] ... is a D-Tek Heater Core?? http://www.over-clock.co.uk/media/marci/LANPix/pages/DSC00022.htm & http://www.over-clock.co.uk/acatalog/dtekcore.gif

I was just given one by one of our customers, so I'm using it on my Ti4200 Loop... wondering whether to move it onto my CPU loop now...

N8
10-31-2002, 04:32 AM
The rad is an 87 Chevrolet Chevette heatercore which I purchased @ a local auto parts store. It is identical to the 1 @ D-Tek other than they solder 1/2" barbs on it for ya :)

The heatercore is the best rad out there from what I've read in the forums..and I must say, its impressed the hell outta me so far...so much that I'm thinkin of getting that swifty G4 block and just adding it in the loop...I think the rad can handle it no prollems ;)

Marci
10-31-2002, 04:46 AM
Hmmm... it's gettin closer and closer to Pelt time for my rig I think going off some recent revelations!

Marci
10-31-2002, 04:58 AM
and SKATAN... portability for LAN? I was at a 50 player LAN this weekend (big for the UK!) and there were quite a few who were watercooled... it is incredibly easy to get a full WC kit into your csae, even in the mini-Coolermasters... it's worth it if just for the mini-crowd that gathers round you salivating over it...

However, I just turn up with a big sod-off bucket!
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/cypher/TFF_26_oct/Marci1.jpg

Not exactly the tidiest of jobs, my rig!
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/cypher/TFF_26_oct/Marci2.jpg

HOWEVER...

Here's one: http://www.over-clock.co.uk/cypher/TFF_26_oct/UKDave1.jpg
and another: http://www.over-clock.co.uk/cypher/TFF_26_oct/CM5002.jpg

So there ya go... LAN is NO EXCUSE!

SKATAN
10-31-2002, 05:41 PM
yes it is , that s**t is too heavy and im not in to buying a new case

n8

whats the veredict on the ram ?

N8
10-31-2002, 06:06 PM
Looks like I will have to test it on 1 of the BIOS's w/o the fast cpu command. Hitting the same wall @ 200FSB w/ the 2815...but I can run alot more aggressive timings @ near 200FSB. Too bad that doesn't quite work out for my CPU MHz, hehe...will hafta run 192FSB or so w/ the 2815 for 3DMark. After I'm done playin w/ 3dmark I'll hafta check out the 29XX BIOS and see what kinda bandwidth the Corsair will give.

Also got a 1700+ Tbred comin now...too many toys & not enough time ;)

P.S. Care to save me some time in playin w/ wpcredit & share your settings? @ 192 I'll hafta tweak the memory timings to the max to really push this memory much. Sure wish there was a 10.25 mult :D

SKATAN
11-01-2002, 02:19 AM
with your incredible score on your chase low/high bench at
184,5 fsb :eek:
I think your settings are just as good , if not better than mine

+10mhz of fsb give me 230~250mrks extra (no oc on VId)

I had a couple of troubles with 8k3a and high fsb when I first got the corsair , I was getting the bandwidth but dragotic and nature were dieing , due to agp problems , had to disable SBA

you should try bios 29** it´s very fast even without fast comand decode ,if your corsair can go 204+ with agressive timings it will give you a great score if you dont have high fsb AGP problems

and high fsb benching isn´t as easy as it seems is it :) , well it is if you have really good ram , which isn´t my case and yours as it seems (good ram does 200+ agressive timings and fasta comand decode ;) )

I think abit KX7-333 is over rated since bios 2815 :D don´t you ?

cant wait to get me a tbred b , good luck with your 1700+ , I hope it´s a B :)

N8
11-01-2002, 05:03 AM
My plan was to get my score as high as I can w/ the 2815, then try playin w/ the 29XX to see if I can outscore the 2815. I know this 2815 won't make full use of this memory...I mean, I don't know, I just think ;) I was able to run 214+ w/ the 2612 w/o tearing in 3D(w/ my sammy, a few months ago) so I'd hope I could run near that w/ the 29XX.

I do think the KX7 is overrated. I hear of more problems w/ the black cap vs silver cap deal, that I'm glad I don't have to deal with, with my 8K3A. The only prollem w/ the 8K3A is how it automatically relaxes timings as the FSB goes up...which can be taken care of :) I've been using a soft fsb prog to do it, but I'd like to use wpcredit to do it, as I can also play with other settings as well.

I'm 99% sure the tbred I got comin is a Rev. A. I don't care tho, if it runs 10MHz more than this AGOIA, then it was worth the cash...cuz I doubt I'll have a problem selling one of my 1600's as the slowest 1 does 1.9GHz. BTW, I just sold my sammy and net pay out for the 3200C2 is $19 :) You see, it didn't end up costing me that much now did it...this is why I bought it ;) Much like the tbred if it out-performs my 1600...cuz I'm sure I can get $50+ for a chip that I can vouch for runnin 1.9GHz.

SKATAN
11-01-2002, 11:33 AM
I wish I could do those business here, and stuff is much cheaper in the US

but I dont pay final consumer price so its cool by me

but bahh I will only change for a tbred B

just have to wait a bit thought for those tbreds b :)

256MB Samsung PC2700 CTL Single-Sided DIMM - $85 shipped
This is the famous Samsung chips known for OC'n like a mofo
I've run this memory @ up to about 215MHz(220MHz+ Sandra stable) stable with relaxed timings on the 8K3A @ 3.0v. With aggressive timings it will do around 200MHz(not on the 2312 or 2815 BIOS tho due to the fast cpu command being enabled..will do around 195MHz on those BIOS's @ most aggressive timings).

why the hell didn´t you bench at 192x10.5 instead of 184,5 ????

N8
11-01-2002, 12:01 PM
Cuz I think I might have had a power problem or something, lol. I could do 195 @ lower mults but not @ above 2GHz. Either the board was getting hot somewhere or my 400w antec is not keeping up.

I don't know, I know that DIMM does 3DMark @ 195 & 3v. It doesn't like higher than 3v, but what doesn't make sense is that if its a power issue, than why does the corsair do it.

Any suggestions? I have noticed that w/ the corsair in and runnin the higher FSB that I can't get my CPU MHz up quite as high...I think it is power distribution in the motherboard & not the PS.

hipro5
11-02-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by JCviggen
Also, the Corsair (Winbond) doesnt like very tight timings ... you can get great performance out of them but thats at very high speeds at medium timings... well with a P4 thats the case anyway

.....but why are you saying that???.....:confused: