PDA

View Full Version : What coolant to use?

Flybye
10-07-2004, 04:28 PM
I keep reading of people using windshield wiper fluid that doesn't freeze, alcohol, this Dentere stuff sold at paint stores, and people say anti-freeze becomes to thick. But at what temp does antifreeze become too thick?

And which of these would prevent the growth of alge?

My heat exchanger will be going down to about -10F/-23C.

Juicy629
10-07-2004, 06:52 PM
anti freeze and denatured alcohol..since your not going to low id recommend a 50/50 mixure...

Flybye
10-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Juicy, what is the advantage of using a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol with antifreeze as opposed to a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water?

I've heard of the alcohol drying up seals and corroding metals around the impeller. Any thought on that?

Juicy629
10-07-2004, 11:43 PM
actually now that you say that..yes i would recommend water..never even thought about it...cheaper also =P...if you using water..i might recommend a lil higher concentration of antifreeze cuz the ratings are normally off

blinky
10-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Juicy, what is the advantage of using a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol with antifreeze as opposed to a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water?

I've heard of the alcohol drying up seals and corroding metals around the impeller. Any thought on that?
im using alcohol and acetone, i hope my pump dont break

Flybye
10-08-2004, 02:24 AM
im using alcohol and acetone, i hope my pump dont break
I hope not, too :)

It's just that on another forum, I read of a guy who has used all sorts of different mixtures, and using alcohol has killed 2 of his pumps.

That's why I'm also asking here to get a double opinion on it :) It'll kinda kill me if my 600gph Eheim takes a dump :eek:

saaya
10-08-2004, 06:27 AM
see it that way, in that case you can upgrade to an iwaki ;) :D

alcohol is very aggressive towards a lot of types of plastic... i would try destilled water and add antifreeze until its totally liquid.

having a thin layer of ice particles swimming in the res is not problem btw! as long as its a thin layer on top in the res with small parts that look a bit like a milkshake its not problem, but if the entire liquid starts to get like that or have small ice particles in it then you need more antifreeze

Juicy629
10-08-2004, 10:12 AM
bah..now you guys tell me this..lol...

Flybye
10-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I don't have a res, so it would be kinda hard for me to find out if I have ice particles or not!

I guess what I can do is leave my fill line uninsulated and watch the water through there.

Well, I'm not going to use alcohol. I remember cleaning one of my taillight lenses with a strong alcohol based product, and it made my lights look like the elephant man :eek: