PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL MSI K8N Neo2-939 tips and tricks guide thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

nfm
06-21-2005, 08:44 PM
How about an A64 Tweaker screenshot of your most stable, highest clocking memory settings.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32886&stc=1
That's on crappy Hynix D43 chips! I can do suicide DRR600 :toast: none of the boys on geil pc4000 can dream about speed like this.

cheers

harpyboy
06-21-2005, 08:54 PM
dude... u posted a A64T screenshot but had 1/3 of it covered :P

maybe it doesn't matter.. hehehe

STEvil
06-21-2005, 09:34 PM
PC4000 isnt D43/TCCx based.

You should only need to hold it as long as it takes to get to the POST screen where you can press DEL to enter the bios.

You have to hold it before pressing the power button until it shows the POST screen however.

I find my board has a cold boot issue at times.. to solve this I press the power button once to power on then wait 10-20 seconds (POST screen should be up by then... but isnt if cold boot happens) so I just press the power button again.. and it pops up in about 5 seconds.

You might want to try 1 stick of ram in slot 3 (from CPU) and power on with the CMOS battery removed... if that doesnt go, then i'd say its time to start checking the CPU if its dead or if you need to reflash the bios.

uniacid
06-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Would the POST screen take more than 5 or so minutes to show up? also I'm trying something a friend told me, unplug the power, reverse the cmos battery and short the power button with a jumper, but I'll try what you suggested in the morning, also I don't think the cpu is dead (I hope not) as there wasn't any reason it would die, I'm thinking of picking up another MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat at tigerdirect which is about an hour drive since I can't wait long for a MB rma :P

One more thing, how would I reflash the bios in this current state

STEvil
06-21-2005, 10:56 PM
no, it should take a maximum of 10 seconds... more likely 2-5.

Dont reverse the battery, just remove it, unplug the PSU from the board and press the power button down for about 5 seconds.. that will definately clear any power in the board..

CD 1986
06-22-2005, 03:16 AM
w00t, finally got the board back from RMA :D

Video card appears dead after the mobo shorted-out on me, but other than that it all works! Currently burning in the CPU, then will start testing the 1.8mods and 1.95b.

uniacid
06-22-2005, 05:56 AM
How long did your rma take? and did they give you back the same model board?

I don't see any progress still so I think I'm going to go buy the mb from tigerdirect and check everything out

CD 1986
06-22-2005, 07:19 AM
RMA took 2 weeks. I sent in a faulty 0448 Taiwan board (Neo2 54G) and received back an 0506 Taiwan board, again a Neo2 54G. :)

corruption
06-22-2005, 07:39 AM
guys I need some emergency help, last night I tried some settings that worked the week before but suddenly this week my pc has been acting funny, not allowing me to overclock much on settings I've ran before and I've been having to reset my cmos if that happens, so last night I decided I would try again to see if it would work and right around 2.4ish I get no post from my pc and attempt to reset the cmos only this time even after resetting my cmos I get no post at all, I've checked my psu's (not sure about them as they turn on automatically once they get power) and I've stripped apart my pc today and put it back together only connecting the essentials and it still does the same thing, psu turns on automatically, shut it off manually via case switch then I turn it on properly via the case switch yet no post, also from the D-Bracket it shows that it is "Decompressing BIOS image to RAM for fast booting".

So I come to you guys for help, is there anything you can think of to try or what the problem could be and why this is happening? :confused: :bsod:

THANKS A BUNCH!

First off, don't panic. I had something like this happen to me after a bios flash and OC attempt. I couldn't post and was about to rma my board when I thought, "Hey, why not try a PCI gfx card? Can't hurt..." I removed my 9600xt (now a 9800pro...cheap upgrade from a friend :D) and I installed the S3 Trio that I had laying around. Booted up and to my surprise my monitor turned on! Apparently, my bios was corrupt and I had to reflash. (Here's a good site for that...http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html) After the reflash, everything's running well....no problems to speak of and I'm running 1.9B5. If you have a PCI gfx card laying around give it a shot....you have nothing to lose, except for a possible long wait for your rma return. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes...and good luck! (Hopefully you won't need luck of any kind) ;)

uniacid
06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks, I will diffinitely try that, I'm setting up my server as my pc right now and I'm glad to know that my other components are working (Gfx card, HD's , Cdrom) and I should be receiving my new psu today as well, I will see if I can get a pci vid card at compussr or so and test it out.

uniacid
06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Ok update: I tried with a pci vid card with the 3700 and it didnt work, but I tried it with my FX-53 and it posts, but it still turns on automatically, so now I am unsure if I should still rma my mb and now should I rma my cpu?

uniacid
06-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I guess I'll try to rma both tomorrow, but I'm still wondering how this could of happened, maybe I tightened the cpu waterblock down too much?

corruption
06-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Ok update: I tried with a pci vid card with the 3700 and it didnt work, but I tried it with my FX-53 and it posts, but it still turns on automatically, so now I am unsure if I should still rma my mb and now should I rma my cpu?

Don't give up yet. Put the FX-53 in there and reflash the bios. There's a chance that a corrupt bios won't let you boot with the 3700. If you can successfully reflash, you might find that you don't have to rma anything. That could save you a headache or two. ;)

(bios page....http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html)

If you're unsure about flashing the bios from a floppy, follow these instructions:
1.) Insert floppy disk into your floppy drive. (of a working computer with internet access) Format and "Create an MS-DOS startup disk."
2.) Download "AWFL833D.EXE" from http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/AWFL833D.EXE
3.) Download "7025v18F.zip" from http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/7025v18F.zip (That bios image is the same one that you'd get from MSI's webpage. It is for bios 1.8 final release, so it should support venice and sandiego chips.)
4.) Copy "AWFL833D.EXE" to the floppy disk.
5.) Decompress the bios file "7025v18F.zip". There will be a folder called "7025v18F" created and it will have 4 files in it. Don't worry about any except the one titled "w7025nms.180". Change the name of the file "w7025nms.180" to "w7025nms.bin". Copy "w7025nms.bin" to the floppy disk.
6.) Insert the floppy into the machine that you want to reflash. (K8N Neo2 Platinum in this case.)
7.) As the computer is booting, keep hitting F11 (pretty sure it's F11) to get the boot menu. Choose to boot off of the floppy disk.
8.) When you see "A:/" type "dir" (no quotes)....this will give you a listing of the directory on the "A:" drive. (This is not necessary, but it will let you know what's on the disk so that you don't make a typo.)
9.) You will see "A:/" on the screen....type the following after it:
AWFL833D w7025nms.bin
It will look like this: A:/AWFL833D w7025nms.bin
10.) Hit enter and follow the instructions that come up on the screen. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER OR RESTART IT UNTIL THE FLASH IS COMPLETE! (It will let you know when it's done.....it shouldn't take more than 4 minutes tops to copy the bios files.)
11.) Restart with the floppy out of the drive and keep pressing "del" until you get into the bios when rebooting.
12.) Hopefully, it should work again and you can do a happy dance like so: :banana:

Give it a shot and let me know if you start ":banana:ing." If it works, you owe me a beer. :D :toast:

Good luck and don't be afraid to flash! :stick: (Don't forget that it's not going to get any worse than it is now....you can't break what's already broken.;))

TMM
06-23-2005, 05:18 AM
hmm thats odd. I would put it down to a faulty PSU, but then again mine does a similar thing with the board but i have no problems at all once its booted

my system turns on straight away after the psu recieves AC power - the PC turns on but fails to boot, no POST or anything, just the fans spins etc. i put it down to it being an incompatibility between the mobo and PSU (Antec 480w - about 1.5 years old). The solution is to hold the power button while you apply AC power, and let it go after about 1-2seconds of the computer being powered. Then it POSTs fine :). after a soft-off (e.g. holding button for 4 seconds or just going to shutdown from windows it works fine booting up again as per normal.
i only get the issue after removing AC Power and then reapplying AC power (plugging the PSU baack into the wall)

uniacid
06-23-2005, 07:28 AM
weird but why could the bios be corrupt? even though it worked fine before? I guess I could always give it a shot but I need to ship out this cpu quick (Sold my FX53)

kupidisk
06-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Are there 64bit drivers for raid hards that are on 3&4 (those one that are locked) ports?

uniacid
06-23-2005, 08:06 AM
Alright I just tried reflashing the bios and then put my 3700 back in but no go and also when I use the 3700 now the mb powers on automatically, when I used the fx though it didn't so now I'm unsure if the mb is faulty and if I should still rma it, what do you guys think?

Oh and does anyone know how AMD is with their rma's?

CD 1986
06-23-2005, 08:25 AM
RMA'd a CPU a few weeks back, it took 9 days for me to get a replacement. :)

uniacid
06-23-2005, 08:31 AM
not bad, do you think i should still rma the board?

uniacid
06-23-2005, 10:16 AM
just got back from fedex, shipped out the parts :X

4rory
06-23-2005, 02:26 PM
When I have to flash my bios cuz i've gone to far with something and it wont post, I turn off psu via its swtich and reset the jumper on the board which is a b*tch to get to then I plug everything back in, soon as i flip the switch on the psu, computer starts up, werid.

uniacid
06-23-2005, 08:07 PM
did you try clearing your cmos? what were you doing to push it too far? I just had a similar problem except my cpu seems dead :/

4rory
06-23-2005, 08:10 PM
it happens all the time, doesnt matter what i do to get it not to post, but when i have to reset cmos, when it comes to powering it bacj up it always turns on as soon as i turn on the psu again, turn on after powerloss or poweroutage w.e is disabled in bios to. Boards just werid.

uniacid
06-23-2005, 08:17 PM
so after you reset the cmos still no post? try some of the tips given to me a page ahead or so, see if those work or not

nfm
06-23-2005, 10:44 PM
remodded 1.36 bios http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios/?dir=./need.for.mhz

rocka
06-24-2005, 12:19 AM
the zipped files are invalid yo.

Augu
06-24-2005, 08:49 AM
I have slightly odd problem with two Corsair CMX512-PC3500C2 (BH5). They are giving error on stressprime, superpi and etc on 230MHz 2-2-2-5 2T 3.3v. Max stable with 2-2-2-5 2T on 3.3v is 220MHz and yes, i have checked every posible setting in the bios. This problem is only in DC mode, when using just 1x512, both of them is working fine is SC (1x512) with ~250Mhz 2-2-2-5 1T 3.3v. So i cant decide is the problem in San Diego's memory control or is it in MSI NEO2 bios.

Does enyone else have this kind of problems with SD ja NEO2? :confused:

sideeffect
06-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi need.for.mhz

Good job editing the bios did you do it yourself in the end or did tictac help you. Are you going to make a 1.8 version with those timings as well? Also i need someone to add the 1t force command so that the san diego will work with 1T without A64 tweaker.

; Command Rate(dcl)
cr_data equ 0EFFFFFFFh ; Command Rate (1bit)
cr_1t equ 000000000h ; 1T
cr_2t equ 010000000h ; 2T

If you could try to do this i would be really grateful as i dont really understand how to do it myself and tictac doesnt seem interested in doing it.

I can host any bios files for you if you want i have fast webspace and i can test bios files as well as i have a spare bios chip.

harpyboy
06-24-2005, 10:12 AM
NFM nice job there... but those settings doesn't work for me... TCCD.
Good job tho... i wish i hav the time to take up some BIOS editing too....

nfm
06-24-2005, 10:37 AM
thanks all, that bios work very good on my board

@sideffect

I did myself, finally started to understand bios structure. Give couple minutes and I will post v1.8 BIOS :toast: . unfortunely I can't use modbin6 to unhide hidden options :( Need Win 98 for that. Hang on

CD 1986
06-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Need Win 98 for that.
Why not use DOS and a floppy? That's how i unhide bios options etc...

nfm
06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
^^^ dude tell me more!!!!!!

so you make dos floppy ( right click A disk, format, choose make bootable dos diskatte?) then when you boot you call modbin6? I did that but it takes modbin forever to load the BIOS

Please tell me step by step because I'm ready to realese v1.8 bios with 1T fix for san diego, thanks

CD 1986
06-24-2005, 11:27 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/tmod/utilities.htm

Download Tmod's Bios Mod v3.6 and click on it to create a bootable floppy. Then put the bios file onto a 2nd floppy (call it bios.bin). Boot with the Tmod floppy, then insert the 2nd floppy. Then press:

1 (enter)
2 bios (enter)
0 (enter)

Then mod the bios using modbin6 (its in the Tmod package) and save the bios (as bios2.bin for example) and exit modbin. Then press:

3 bios2 (enter)

Reboot and take your freshly modded bios from the floppy and post it here! ;)

nfm
06-24-2005, 11:40 AM
link is ok, but winrar says that archive is broken. And the file is only 1.85kb
Can you host it?

uniacid
06-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I can host it if you want, pm me or msg me on aim

nfm
06-24-2005, 01:39 PM
I need Tmod's Bios Mod v3.6 asap. Anybody have it PM me or post link

Go it!

sideeffect
06-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Hehe

Wow i hope this 1t hack works. I can host whatever u need hosting and give u ftp access to so u can add other files.

emal = robertwillmin@hotmail.com also msn

nfm
06-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Ok, here he is: v1.8 official modded BIOS with fix for San Diego CPUs. This is Rev.1. Taken from readme:

- Based on v1.8F BIOS

*** This is a special San Diego Edition, therefore 1T Command Rate always will be enabled.
Will work on Platforms that are able to boot with 1T at default settings

Changelog:

- Fixed divider issue, trc = 12 clks & trfc = 18 clks on all dividers
- Read Write Queue Bypass = 16x
- Bypass Max = 7x
- Idle Cycle Limit = 256 clks
- Max Async Latency = 8ns
^^^ Includes memory optimizations.
http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios/?dir=./need.for.mhz grab it from here. THANKS TO SIDEEFFECT FOR HOSTING

EDIT: This BIOS was tested and it work great
I'm so ready for next release aka Rev.2

sideeffect
06-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Ok, here he is: v1.8 official modded BIOS with fix for San Diego CPUs. Taken from readme:

^^^ Includes memory optimizations.
Download two parts, use winrar to unzip

EDIT: This BIOS is untested

Bios will soon be tested :)

nfm
06-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Bios will soon be tested :)
:toast:

sideeffect
06-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Haha guess what?

It only works :banana:

thanks so much mate. Im going to play around with it now :)

Added both your bios files to full rars and added them here
http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios/?dir=./need.for.mhz

nfm
06-24-2005, 02:53 PM
hehe, my pleasure. Thanks for hosting :cool: . Just wait for Rev.2 Try to play with your memory, see if you can clock them higher than before

CD 1986
06-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Great bios there; does the 1.36 version have the same tweaks as the 1.8?

Sorry, don't have a copy of Tmods tools available here now, but i can get one to you tomorrow if no one else finds one first. :)

nfm
06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
^^^ The only difference between my 1.8 and 1.36 is that 1.8 has 12 clock trc and 1.36 has 13 clock trc. Also 1.8 always boots with 1T command rate, other than that they have same tweaks. My 1.8 bios doesn't have unhidden options while 1.36 does. Provide me with Tmods, and I will revise both BIOS, so finally I'll be able to use modbin :)

mapel110
06-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Nice, having the opportunity to flash a modified Bios. But I would rather flash an new official one. Any Information about that? I heard, a Beta is in the Web, but this one is not that good?!

CD 1986
06-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Need.for.mhz - did some rumaging around on my old utility backup cds, check your AIM e-mail ;)

nfm
06-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Nice, having the opportunity to flash a modified Bios. But I would rather flash an new official one. Any Information about that? I heard, a Beta is in the Web, but this one is not that good?!

The 1.9B5 is still crappy, I had endless problem with it including no POST, other people on different forums reported same issues. When newer beta will come, and if it will be more stable, I will mod right away

nfm
06-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks CD 1986
I'm working on Rev.2 of my v1.8 and later I will try my v1.36

Thanks!

CD 1986
06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Great, looking forward to the final revisions. 1.8 & 1.36 are the only ones worth modding at this point. :)

sideeffect
06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Great work NFM this 1.8 san diego bios rocks :toast:

Havnt got enough time to fully test it tonight but it is definitely more stable than any of the other bios files i have used Including tictacs r2.

Gonna push it tommorow and see if i can hit 265htt 1:1 with this bios which is looking quite likely atm.

nfm
06-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Ok, v1.8 mod for sandiego, v1.8 mod and v1.36 mod has all been revised to version 2 :rocker:
Right now SIDEEFFECT need to upload those BIOSes from me and eventualy test them because I can't hotflash or restore my BIOS if something goes wrong. I need to contact SIDEEFFECT somehow. All BIOS feature same tweaks:

- Fixed divider issue, trc = 12 clks & trfc = 18 clks on all dividers
- Bypass Max = 7x
- All hidden options are now available

Here are the names of files:

- 180NFM(Rev.2)1T.rar <------------- Mod BIOS w\ 1T Command Rate fixed for San Diego CPUs
- 180NFM(Rev.2).rar <------------- Mod BIOS
- 136NFM(Rev.2).rar <------------- Mod BIOS

Hang on people :)

@SIDEEFFECT, get rid of my Rev.1 BIOSes on your ftp and replace them with these
EDIT: All of them work great. Thanks STEvil for testing :)

STEvil
06-24-2005, 07:55 PM
tested them - they all worked.

lost some clocks on my OCZ PC4800 Platinums with TCC5 though.

corruption
06-24-2005, 08:05 PM
The 1.9B5 is still crappy, I had endless problem with it including no POST, other people on different forums reported same issues. When newer beta will come, and if it will be more stable, I will mod right away

I am still using the 1.9B5 bios. I initially had a no POST problem, but after shutting off the powersupply, resetting the CMOS, and removing the IDE cables from my HD (and power) I was able to boot. I have been running this bios for well over a week with no problems at all so far, aside from initially getting it to POST. I even managed to lower the voltage needed to maintain my OC while still being prime stable for over 24 hours. I can't control the multiplier in the bios (don't really need to though) and the voltage given to the cpu is .1v short, but voltages are otherwise stable. (1.7v selected in bios, 1.6v in windows with a multimeter) Can't wait for the final release! :clap: :woot:

nfm
06-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for testing them, good to hear they are working. I'm on 180NFM(Rev.2) right now. Works great :)

I have OCZ PC3200 rev.2 w\ TCC5, got them today. So far I'm stable at 289fsb, 2.5 HTT link (none of other work) but 2T, why? With 1T I go stable only up to ~ 240fsb. I already burned my sticks for 4 hours. I will leave it burnng for the whole night today. I also use agp volt of 1.55 which work best with memories. If I up it to v1.6 or v1.7 is memory becomes unstable so v1.55 is my sweet spot. CPU is completely stable too.Can this be caused by winnie's memory controller or by Neo2?

@STEvil, post screeny of A64 Tweaker along with CPU-Z with your highest stable memory clock

lost some clocks on my OCZ PC4800 Platinums with TCC5 though That's impossible. Memory optimizations that I patched BIOS with icrease overall overclock and stability. I gained 4~6 Mhz with my bios :) used v1.8F before. Check this out http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57317
EDIT: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=924948#post924948 oh i see
EDIT: OK, overnight mem burn-in helped a lot!! I'm at 275 fsb with 1T

.: Eru :.
06-24-2005, 09:00 PM
It's strange, but I cannot get into Windows using a different bios than 1.37mod.
Tried 1.41, 1.80 official, Tictac's 1.80 R2...all of them at stock speed, and cannot boot. It slows down when its starting to show boot logo...and freezes there.
Now I'm using 1.37Mod, and doing 270x10 1.55v, 6-3-3-2.5 1:1

My rig:
Neo2 & Venice 3200 LBBLE 0518APDW & XP120 & 2x 512MB PQI Turbo TCCD

Any advice? Thanks, of course.

STEvil
06-24-2005, 09:33 PM
gah.. cant even get 312 like I was before..

310 @ 2.5-4-3-10-13-15-2T 2.88v went though.. grudgingly.

Tictac's 1.8r2 bios with nothing else changed.

nfm
06-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Hello again, another release :woot: This time just testing. I created this BIOS with a patch that helped me with my TCC5 overall stable, 1T overclock.
I just need anybody who can I apply these settings in A64 Tweaker and run system stable on these settings:

- trc = 12 clks
- trfc = 18 clk
- Bypass Max = 7x
- trrd = 3 clks
- twr = 2 clks
- trwt = 2 clks (trtw in A64 Tweaker)

Can anybody test this BIOS out. If you be able to, can into to windows and then to A64 Tweaker to verify ^^^ those settings. Big thanks :toast:

180NFM(HH) <--------- HH stands for High HTT

STEvil
06-25-2005, 01:30 AM
tried 'em.. gain ~1mhz at best.

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 06:18 AM
K mate im adding your new bios files to the page :)

All files added now

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 06:57 AM
Sideeffect - did you add the high HTT versions? I can't see them on the site.

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 06:59 AM
I think i added the high htt version. In the 1.80 folder but not sure. Labelled 180NFMpatch.rar look at readme is that the right version.

Shall i call it high HTT instead of patch?

lol im confused which is which NFM email me or msn and ill send u ftp so you can put it how you like

robertwillmin@hotmail.com

edit = ok i found the High Htt bios and added it on in 1.80 folder. Will there be a high Htt version for san diego ?

nfm
06-25-2005, 07:17 AM
the 180NFMpatch.rar is the one for high HTT, just rename it to "180NFM(HH)" sideeffect :) same think with readme.

EDIT: In 'HH" edition I want more tweaks, so Rev.2 is coming anyway
I need to know which DQS Skew mode brings more stability, off, slower or faster. Also Refresh Rate, I think 166Mhz 1.95us would be best

Kriller
06-25-2005, 07:20 AM
I use 1.36b for the %vcore thingies, is there any new bios where this work? i need 1,66v 24/7 :)

raydelee
06-25-2005, 07:21 AM
to the master at XS,
wat is the best bios to go with Tmsp UTT

nfm
06-25-2005, 07:23 AM
to the master at XS,
wat is the best bios to go with Tmsp UTT

grab 180NFM(Rev.2).rar. you may also try 136NFM(Rev.2).rar ;)

I use 1.36b for the %vcore thingies, is there any new bios where this work? i need 1,66v 24/7 Taken from my Readme from v1.36 bios

- Based on v1.3B6 BIOS that allows up to 18.3% VID, activated by MSI's BIOS writers.
v1.36 is only BIOS that allows insanely high voltage. In other BIOS when you try it to enable to it will just default to v1.55 vcore :(

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 07:25 AM
I use 1.36b for the %vcore thingies, is there any new bios where this work? i need 1,66v 24/7 :)
Nope, none so far. The new 1.9 might go that high once officially released though. :)

Kriller
06-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Well, just haveto wait then :(

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 07:32 AM
ok i changed name hopefully its ok now :slap:

nfm
06-25-2005, 07:39 AM
ok i changed name hopefully its ok now :slap:
It's ok

edit = ok i found the High Htt bios and added it on in 1.80 folder. Will there be a high Htt version for san diego ?
When Rev.2 of it comes out, I probably make one for San Diego

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 07:48 AM
NFM, I am trying your new bioses now. For some reason-even on modded bioses-I can't boot with the 166 divider. 200 is fine up to 240. And 133 lets me go as high as I want (180 now). I would like to use the 166 divider to slighly overclock my memory rather than underclock it. Is it a problem with my bios, cpu, memory, or motherboard. Also, what is a safe voltage for a 3000 wini on stock cooling.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 08:10 AM
For 24/7 use, don't go above 1.60v on stock cooling. It might run ok at 1.65v but then you run a higher risk of damaging the chip.

Kriller
06-25-2005, 08:13 AM
For 24/7 use, don't go above 1.60v on stock cooling. It might run ok at 1.65v but then you run a higher risk of damaging the chip.

I have my watercooling that cools my cpu down to 40c idle and 48full, 1,66v 2,7ghz...

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 08:19 AM
NFM, I am trying your new bioses now. For some reason-even on modded bioses-I can't boot with the 166 divider. 200 is fine up to 240. And 133 lets me go as high as I want (180 now). I would like to use the 166 divider to slighly overclock my memory rather than underclock it. Is it a problem with my bios, cpu, memory, or motherboard. Also, what is a safe voltage for a 3000 wini on stock cooling.

Stock cooling probably shouldnt go to high on vcore maybe 1.6 max and watch your temperature and make sure the bios is showing the correct temperature.

Maybe replace the stock fan with a 80 mm for better cooling. The 166 issue I have as well and not sure what it is either. Try using another mutiplier for the cpu that forces a different multiplier for the ram and might help.

I attached a 120mm fan blowing over the memory sockets and all those resistors and chips at the top of the motherboard and it helped my htt overclock. And I attached a heatsink to the chip in between the ide cables and nforce chip which seems to get really hot, think that helped as i get better overclocks now.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 08:20 AM
I have my watercooling that cools my cpu down to 40c idle and 48full, 1,66v 2,7ghz...
Water isn't exactly stock cooling. ;)

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Is vapochill counted as stock cooling :D

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Only if you forget to turn it on. :p:

Kriller
06-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Water isn't exactly stock cooling. ;)

For me it is :D Would never go back to air :) (still have air on x800 thou :brick: )

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I want to do 265x9 with a 166 divider, wont boot. I tired 235x9 with a 166 divider, won't boot. 270x9 with a 133 divider boots fine. I am at 1.56v right now. In bios, I am 43C. I am doing CPU burnin max heat right now. Temps are 53C. I am thinking of selling my setup for a Chaintec NF3, DTR 3000, and a gig of Corsair value ram. I could probably run 250x10 with a 166 divider on that with under 1.5v

My current setup is

WInchester 3000 @ 270x9
2x256 Dell ram @ 180 2-3-2-7
Neo2 platinum

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Get the ram and try it in your neo 2 probably the dell is the problem and if not then you were going to get it anyway so...

And with the dfi nforce 3 out now thats gotta be the better choice than Chaintec.

Or the total cost of the corsair value plus another mobo it would be better to get some quality ram that the neo 2 does like and run high htt 1:1.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Yeh, Neo2 can be picky about certain types of RAM. See if you can get hold of some different memory to test with the 166 divider. :)

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 08:37 AM
What is the cheapest ram that I can run at 265.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Depends if you want low timings or not...you could get 2x256mb of TCCD (say from PDP or PQI) that would clock well with semi-tight timings...

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=140644&Category_Code=DDR-PDP

EDIT: do you want 1024mb, or just 512mb? :)

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 08:56 AM
My crucial ballistix seem to be stable at 265 1T 2x 512mb but i dont know if i would recommend the ram as it took a lot of messing around to get here.

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 09:24 AM
I would want something that could do 270 2.5-3-3-10 on 2.85v which is the boards max right. I would def want the cheapest stuff. I am looking for a gig if possible. I would be using NFM's modded bios of course. I guess the timings could be pretty loose if the ram is cheap enough.

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 09:28 AM
cheap ram wont do 270 2.5-3-3-10 at 2.85v. Maybe at 3.3 v but memory companies arnt stupid. you get what you pay for.

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Can I do 3.3v on my mobo. What kind of price are we talking here also? I heard the crucial pc3200 can do this for under $100. And, what kind of performance increase are we talking from 512mb 2-3-2-7 1t 176 to 1gb 2.5-3-3-10 1t 265

Zeus...
06-25-2005, 09:40 AM
my OCZ Dual Channel Platinum PC3200 rev2 1GB will do 1T 2.5 4 3 7 @ 2.85v PASSED memtest89 for 11hrs no problem

But it wont pass prime at those speeds 1:1 - well not on the MSI neo2 with bios 1.7 1.8 or 1.9b5 (hopeful on 1.9 offical :rolleyes: )

Best stable I can get is in sig - just trying prime95 at 2550MHz 1:1 rest of settings as in sig

edit typo!

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 09:42 AM
How do I get my mobo to do 3.4v? Also, do you think it is my mobo, memory, or cpu not allowing me to run my 166 divider. If it is my memory, I will just get ram that can do 220 and use that. My memory booted 1:1 up to 240; however, it won't boot at 195 with the 166 divider.

Zeus...
06-25-2005, 09:48 AM
OCZ DDR Booster (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_ddr_booster_diagnostic_device)

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 09:55 AM
How do I get my mobo to do 3.4v? Also, do you think it is my mobo, memory, or cpu not allowing me to run my 166 divider. If it is my memory, I will just get ram that can do 220 and use that. My memory booted 1:1 up to 240; however, it won't boot at 195 with the 166 divider.

you can use a ddr booster http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/OCZDDRbooster/

It provides more volts to your ram and then you would get some ram that likes high voltage and the neo 2. Not all ram likes high voltage.

Yes would probably be best for you to get ram that will run at 220 or so well in 166 divider.

these corsair sticks are rated at 275 with okish timings and an okish price imo http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS.html

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't know if I want to volt mod or anything. If I could, I would just get 1gb ram that will run nice timings at 220 with the 166 divider. I might have a problem with my mobo or cpu though with the 166 divider.

Also, do you think my machine is any good.

A64 3000 winchester @ 2.38 on 1.56v
2x256 Dell ram @ 176 2-3-2-7 1t
Neo2 platinum @ 265 HTT
9800 pro @ 409/358

What do you think I could improve on the most. I don't want to spend too much money on it. Although, it did only cost me $20 more than what I sold my 2.0 P4 TI4600 for! I get 21000 on 3dmark 01, 38s 1M PI, 2700 3d05. Everything is on stock cooling. I think more VC overclocking and 1gb of ram would help the most.

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I am at 270x9 with 1.56v right now. Not PI stable. I think 260 or 265x9 is the sweet spot. I am going to check how much I have to underclock my ram to boot with the 166 divider now btw.

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 10:04 AM
upgrading the ram would give you the biggest performance boost because for one thing u would have 1gb instead of 512mb which makes a big difference in newer games.

Try uaing the 2.5 Ht multi like NFM does to see if it helps.

4rory
06-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I just flashed with "180NFM(HH)" and when i entered the bios it asked me for a biospass, I've never had a bios pass befor, I have to reset the cmos to get past it right now i'n in windows for the first time with this bios and the clock mods look like they took effect, nice work maybe now we can get one modded with 200mhz 15.6us? Or if someone can show me the steps and programs used I can do it myself. Just a little hex and compling right?

nfm
06-25-2005, 10:05 AM
@Blinkme323

Either go with OCZ PC3200 VX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227204 + with DRR Booster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813998301 or go like me, I just got OCZ PC3200 Rev.2 with TCC5 chips http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890 Unfortunely my crappy winnie can not handle more than 280fsb (mem cotroller craps out, dam CBBID :frag: I burned them for total 10h. Tried them with my friend's CBHHD winnie and I did DRR600, 2.5-4-3-7 easily at ~2.9v (Neo2 overvolts)

@4rory

what does 200mhz 15.6us equal, 4072 Tref? It is 780 tref
good thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61297&highlight=tref

4rory
06-25-2005, 10:11 AM
I got no idea what it equals in tref lol but, its a setting in a64 tweaker, I'll test now and let you know how much it effect performance and stbility also why not change the read preamble from 5.5 to 5.0 most a64 screenies i see use that setting.

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 10:12 AM
There is definately somehting wrong with the 166 divider. 225x9 with a 133 divider and 3-3-3-8 booted but was completely unstable. The 2.5HT didin't help. And, I am using NFM bios. That ram is a little out of price range since I am primarily a console gamer. BF2 was giving me some hiccups though. Also, how are people overclocking their 9700 pros and 9800 pros so much higher than mine. I can barely do 410:360 it seems.

nfm
06-25-2005, 10:17 AM
There's nothing we can do with TREF. Leave i alone for now, I'm unable to increase.

@Blinkme323

166 divider is messed up. I can only boot 304HTT stable with it (I had to use 2.5HTT for that, none of other worked) :( . But when I boot 1:1 I do 320HTT easily :) 3x HTT worked :confused:

4rory
06-25-2005, 10:17 AM
overclocking my 9800pro was all about good cooling.

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I can't boot at all with the 166 divider lol. I could probably trade my system straight up for a DTR 3000, chaintec NF3, 1gb corsair, and 6800nu.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Any other people still getting 166 divider issues with the modded bios? All divider work fine on my board now. :confused:

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 10:31 AM
260x9 is definately my sweet spot. 1.5v, stable, lower temps, same scores. My memory is killing me though at only 173.

4rory
06-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Dam even with this new modded bios I can't get 280 stable with my plat rev.2 dam tcc5, when i got from 2.5-3-3-7 to 2,5-4-3-7 i gain minimal stablility then when i go to 2.5-4-4-7 i get decreased stablility. :S wtf, I can't seem to get memtest86 to run off floppy with this bios.

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Yes i still have the 166 issue but I already knew that for me it wasnt to do with the timings so ive been focussing on 1:1 for a while and NFM bios does help me get higher 1:1 so im happy.

I run my 9800 Se modded to pro at 440 core and 371 memory I use a vga silencer with artic silver 5 but i took off the plastic casing of the vga silencer and the fan and screwed the stock athlon 64 fan into the heatsink So its more like a cpu heatsink design. I have a pci exhaust fan below that to remove the heat.

I used the pencil mod to up the voltage on the 9800 pro and it helped on the core but didnt help at all with the memory but then i have crappy SE memory so 371 is quite good.

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Jeez, your 9800se can do more than my new from RMA pro. I wonder how high I can get my Dell ram to go 1:1. Should I try 3-4-4-10 and 2.8v maybe.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Give it a go; you have nothing to lose. :)

Use windows memtest to test it for errors, as it's better than memtest by a long shot IMO.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Lol forget that. 225 is about all it will go. Would you be happy with this:

260x9 CPU
1.48v
133 divider
2-3-2-7 timings
agressive timings and performance mode enabled

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Have you tried 290 x 8 with a 133 divider giving 2320mhz cpu speed and 193 ram speed.

Turn off aggressive timing before you try and performance mode.

raydelee
06-25-2005, 11:24 AM
is this NFM 1T mod 1.8 bios good for UTT ram

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 11:27 AM
You only need the 1T mod bios if you are using a san diego as the option shows with the winnie and venice cpus.

Try and set the timings that the 1.8 HH bios uses in a64 tweaker in windows and if it works flash to the bios and tell us if its good with UTT ram :)

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 11:27 AM
I tried 300x8 when I first got the board. It was unstable, but I'll try it now. BTW, do AT and P-mode help at all. I always left them disabled, but figured I would turn them on since I was underclocking the memory.

I am really contemplating getting a DTR setup. I can get a 3000 DTR with thermalright heatsink for $115, Chaintec NF3 for $55, 1gb Corsair value for $75, and a 6800nu for $160. I am sure I could sell my setup and maybe come out ahead even. The DTR's are beasts. 1mb cache and ~2.8ghz.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Aggressive timings will only decrease your stable OC, but you could try enabling performance mode to see what happens. I always leave both disabled though.

raydelee
06-25-2005, 11:34 AM
You only need the 1T mod bios if you are using a san diego as the option shows with the winnie and venice cpus.

Try and set the timings that the 1.8 HH bios uses in a64 tweaker in windows and if it works flash to the bios and tell us if its good with UTT ram :)

my utt max speed on can hit 260fsb 1t
do i need to use the 1.8hh bios

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 11:35 AM
I settled for 260x9 with a 133 divider. Rock stable. Should I enable them or disable them.

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 11:37 AM
If the system is solid with them enabled, then keep it that way. If you want to OC more later though, would be best to turn them off to help with stability. :)

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Performance mode will overclock your overclock which is bad because 260 x 9 is your maximum settings. Aggressive timing you might as well enable if its stable because it should/might make your ram work faster.

Most people disable Aggressive timing because they want a high ram speed but because you cant get that anyway its different for you. Your ram isnt really stretched at 167mhz,

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 11:51 AM
NFM the rev 2 sandy bios is it the same with just the hidden options showing or did you do away with the need to have the realtek lan active and hardmod the timings into the bios?

Havnt tried it yet as I use shift f2 alt f3 with the rev 1.

If its the same with just hidden options ill wait for rev 3 :p:

Maybe you could change the layout in rev3 like tictac did with his rev2 he actually says he doesnt mind people using his bios to edit from so might be an idea.

Also was thinking of making some custom boot screens with photoshop if i can make anything good ill brand it with your name and maybe you could use them. If they are good that is ;)

Blinkme323
06-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Will performance mode still overclock more if I disable dynamic overclocking. BTW, my limit is 270x9 but that requires more volts and shows no benchmarking advantage. My ram is running 173 2-3-2-7 1T. Also, what about DRAM strenght, spread spectrum, ATI speed up, etc.

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 11:57 AM
performance mode without dynamic overclocking doesnt do anything i dont think.

spread spectrum = off
ATI speed up = off (it does the same thing as dynamic overclocking it overclocks your overclock)

Drive strengh depends on your ram for me it makes no difference what i set so i leave it on normal

nfm
06-25-2005, 12:05 PM
@ sideeffect I emailed you. I don't know if you got that mail. I need access to your ftp, just update some stuff. Email me kamilkss@hotmail.com

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 12:24 PM
@ sideeffect I emailed you. I don't know if you got that mail. I need access to your ftp, just update some stuff. Email me kamilkss@hotmail.com

You have mail :slap:

CD 1986
06-25-2005, 01:11 PM
I just want to suggest a couple of possible tweaks to the High HTT modded bios. I think that having:

Max Async Latency = 9ns
Read Preamble = 6.0ns

Since the bios is achieving max HTT for memory, i think those timings "might" help a bit. Could you mod a version with those in NFM? Then we could test it against your current version and see which yields higher results. :)

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
I just want to suggest a couple of possible tweaks to the High HTT modded bios. I think that having:

Max Async Latency = 9ns
Read Preamble = 6.0ns

Since the bios is achieving max HTT for memory, i think those timings "might" help a bit. Could you mod a version with those in NFM? Then we could test it against your current version and see which yields higher results. :)

Yes that seems logical You could keep running the hh bios in parallel with a slightly tighter timed bios.

06-25-2005, 03:32 PM
If you haven't read my last post, I don't know why I cannot get into windows with any newer BIOS than 1.37Mod. Even at stock speed, I can't :S

Will try 1.95, it is the last bios left to test.
If anyone have an idea, thx a lot.

Regards from Buenos Aires, Arg.
Nicolas .-

sideeffect
06-25-2005, 05:14 PM
If you haven't read my last post, I don't know why I cannot get into windows with any newer BIOS than 1.37Mod. Even at stock speed, I can't :S

Will try 1.95, it is the last bios left to test.
If anyone have an idea, thx a lot.

Regards from Buenos Aires, Arg.
Nicolas .-

Cant get into windows or cant boot? Do the other bios files boot into dos ok?

Does memtest work ok in dos with other bios files?

is 1.37 bios stable in windows?

06-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Cant get into windows. With 1.37mod is 101% stable, prime 270x10 1:1 all night long...
Memtest works OK....that's why I think that is strange.

Thanks again.

digitalfrost
06-25-2005, 06:30 PM

Max Async Latency = 9ns
Read Preamble = 6.0ns

If you look at AMDs BIOS and Kernel developers guide you will see that for higher clockspeed a lower Read Preamble is chosen. For a Board with 4 DIMM Slots it goes like: 9ns 100Mhz, 7ns 133Mhz, 6ns 166Mhz, 5.5ns 200Mhz. If you continue this to 300Mhz a Read Preamble of 5.06ns would be optimal (5.25ns 233Mhz, 5.125ns 266...). Have you tried setting Read Preamble to 5ns?

Cant get into windows. With 1.37mod is 101% stable, prime 270x10 1:1 all night long...
Memtest works OK....that's why I think that is strange.

Thanks again.Give me a screenshot of A64Tweaker, I will try and mod a newer BIOS to have those timings, maybe then it'll work. :stick:

06-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Here it is.

http://img295.echo.cx/img295/4134/cpuztweaker7tg.jpg

Thanks to all, we'll win this battle :P

nfm
06-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Max Async Latency = 9ns <----------- Might help when you exceed DRR650!
Read Preamble = 6.0ns <---------- 5.5ns is the sweet spot on Neo2 :)
Thanks for helping

Now, lookie here http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios/?dir=./need.for.mhz
All BIOSes has been revised to Rev.3 :woot:
What's new in Rev.3:

Changelog Rev.3:

- trrd = 3 clks
- twr = 2 clks
- trwt = 2 clks (trtw in A64 Tweaker)
- tref = 133Mhz 7.8us (removed)

The HH edition is no longer revised because "Rev.3" BIOSes feature same tweaks that HH edition had

NEED SOMEONE TO TEST THOSE AND VERIFY ^^^ THOSE SETTINGS IN A64 TWEAKER. THANKS !!!

EDIT: Oh, forgot to thank sideeffect for ftp access, thanks mate :toast:

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 01:53 AM
No problem mate.
Ill test the san diego rev 3 now and see what happens :banana:

edit
Rev 3 for san diego works fine all timings show in a64tweaker as they are listed in changelog :D

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 02:31 AM
Testing out the 166 divider now to see what happens.

The timings that you changed all set fine.
Write to read delay time twtr sets to 1 with 166 divider. 200 divider its 2 also read preamble sets to 6.5 with 166 divider. With 200 divider its 5.5.

Maybe they should be set to 200 values

nfm
06-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Testing out the 166 divider now to see what happens.

The timings that you changed all set fine.
Write to read delay time twtr sets to 1 with 166 divider. 200 divider its 2 also read preamble sets to 6.5 with 166 divider. With 200 divider its 5.5.

Maybe they should be set to 200 values
Thanks for testing, 166 divider in Neo2 is totally messed up :banana:
So in next release I will force twtr to always set at 2 clks and read preamble at 5.5ns. 1 clk for twtr is way to tight. Probably those caused boot failures when using 166 divider. Thanks for noticing those :)

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 10:09 AM
K fully tested 166 divider and its still not even any where near stable set read preamble to 5.5 and twtr to 2 with a64 tweaker. Htt was set to 290 multi at 10 Resulting memory frequency was 243 mhz failed prime in about 10 seconds and windows memtest in about the same amount of time.

260 mhz ram speed is stable in 1:1 with exactly the same timings. Pc is also stable at 290 htt when i use 133 divider.

am i missing something here. Could this be a high Htt issue rather than a ram issue or are their other timings that a64 tweaker just isnt showing. Also could this be a bad memory controller on my san diego does it have to deal with 290htt or 243 when is the divider put in place.

Why would 290htt at 133 be stable if it was high htt issue with the cpu. Dont really think anyone can answer this was just saying what i have found with my setup.

Im so hoping this is just a san diego issue that will magically dissapear with the 1.9 bios release which is taking forever to come out.

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Can you post an A64 Tweaker screenshot of 166 divider v 133 divider @ 290HTT (without tweaking anything). Unless they are exactly the same timings of course. :)

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Only visible difference is the tref refresh rate so im focussing on that now to see what works with 166. Maybe 133mhz 3.9us will work with 166 divider.

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 10:56 AM
What tref rates do you get for 133 and 166 divider? I think tref values might be read wrongly in A64 Tweaker however...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=907882#post907882

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 11:04 AM
when I load the
200 divider a64 tweaker shows 200 3.9
166 divider a64 tweaker shows a tref of 166 3.9.
133 divider a64 tweaker shows 133 3.9

I tried setting 200 3.9 in 166 divider before but it doesnt help but i dont think i tried lower settings.

But if the reading is read wrongly then ill have to try all the settings to see if any work.

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 11:10 AM
lol just tried 100 3.9 in 166 divider and memtest crashed bad in like 0.1 seconds :stick:

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm downloading RMMA (from that thread i posted) to see if the rates reported in the tweaker are different to what the actually are. Best to test all values in any event, since some people get better results with totally different values. :)

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 11:16 AM
I have right mark ill see what it says to.
It shows 7.8 us instead of 3.9 hmm interesting.

Set 133 7.8 us in a64 tweaker and it now shows as 15.6 us in rmma :slapass:

Went through all the refresh rates with athlon 64 tweaker and the lowest that shows in rmma is 7.8 us.

Im going to restart in 1:1 and see what it says then

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Ok, i also found that 200mhz 3.9us is actually 7.8us...so the tweaker is wrong. Seems like what ever you select in the tweaker, the actual value is 1 step higher...?

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Im in 1:1 now and it still shows 7.8 us refresh interval with rmaa even though a64 tweaker shows 3.9 us. I think rmma is wrong and doesnt read values lower than 7.8.

Or it could be that the actual values are 1 step higher. Looking for another tool that reads the value now :p:

The reason i think rmaa is wrong is because setting 1.95 in a64 tweaker still shows 7.8 in rmaa.

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Ok tried with systool which you can get from here http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/ and it shows the same as a64 tweaker but then its very similar to a64 tweaker it could be the same code :p:

Btw systool is ace if you havnt used it because it shows the real voltages of the mobo unlike speedfan and mbm which show wrong values.

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I think RMMA is correct, only because...512mb sticks nearly always have a default refresh rate of 7.8us and that is what RMMA is showing on my setup. I could be wrong, but the guys in that other thread seemed to reach the same conclusion.

Tweaker vs RMMA
1.95us ---> 7.8us
3.9us ----> 7.8us
7.8us ----> 15.6us
15.6us ---> 15.6us

Yeh, systool is great...i helped the author set it up for the nforce3 chipset, since he didnt have an nf3 testbed; reading and changing clock speeds etc... Best all in one tool around! :)

EDIT: have you managed to find any tref value which gives greater stability for your setup?

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 12:03 PM
EDIT: have you managed to find any tref value which gives greater stability for your setup?

No ive been to busy messing with rmma and systool lol. Going to try some more now. One thought though if 7.8us is the minimum setting what are the other settings actually doing in a64 tweaker ...... :stick:

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Ummm....

I suppose smaller sticks (eg. 256Mb) might use a lower refresh rate value. And maybe a lower value might help improve performance in some cases. I'm guessing here though. :p:

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I think if the value could be set with a 256 mb stick then it could be set with a 512mb stick even if it caused the 512 stick to crash while setting it.

Someone with a 256mb stick test this and see what reading they get with rmma please :slap:

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Also, look in Everest to find the default refresh rate of your memory modules...its in the SPD info section. These were taken from my laptop memory modules...they have default of 7.8us, but they are only DDR333:

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 12:29 PM
LOL this is just plain weird, Ok so im running memtest and it keeps finding errors after a few seconds. I change all the tref values each failure and start again but it still errors. (166 divider)

So I leave tref on 133. 3.9us and change the memclk frequency to 183 which takes my ram up to 263mhz and memtest is running fine now ....

edit- everest shows 7.8us for me as well in spd

CD 1986
06-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Good find there! What happens if you boot using the 133 divider and then having A64 startup settings set to 166 divider? Is it still as unstable as booting with the 166 divider from the bios?

Didn't 1.9b5 have a 180 divider in? If so, you might be able to get around your problem that way when it's officially released. :)

sideeffect
06-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Booted with 133 and set 166 with a64 tweaker and still the same errors. So it seems that 166 just doesnt work for me.

The 183 divider is more stable but im not sure if its fully stable yet ill test that now :cool:

The 1.95 beta bios is supposed to be more stable with the 183 divider but doesnt have the option in the bios atm but it has the registers in the bios so it seems that it will be added when the final is released.

However i have never been able to get 1.95 beta bios to load bios setup it boots and loads windows ok but wont load the bios setup menu in dos tried msi beta and murdoks rev1 2 and 3 with no luck. Other people have had this same issue though so hopefully this will be fixed in the final revision as well.

alexgontijo
06-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Guys, what BIOS has the 183 divider option? I'm using the 1.8mod and it doesn't have it.

Thanks,

AleX

STEvil
06-27-2005, 12:29 PM
nothing pre 1.95 does I should say.

Might want to try moving fans to different headers if the bios screen wont show for 1.95. Abit nF7(-s)'s had the same issue which was due to RFI interference on the fan headers.. D27 bios may have been the one with the issue, cant quite remember.

sideeffect
06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
You have to set 183 divider with a64 tweaker from within windows. In my experiance its as stable as 1:1 with my setup where as 166 divider isnt stable at all.

STEvil
06-27-2005, 12:32 PM
yeah, but thats annoying ;)

sideeffect
06-27-2005, 12:33 PM
nothing pre 1.95 does I should say.

Might want to try moving fans to different headers if the bios screen wont show for 1.95. Abit nF7(-s)'s had the same issue which was due to RFI interference on the fan headers.. D27 bios may have been the one with the issue, cant quite remember.

Thanks for the info ill give that a try.

Garrett
06-27-2005, 12:34 PM
You have to set 183 divider with a64 tweaker from within windows. In my experiance its as stable as 1:1 with my setup where as 166 divider isnt stable at all.How true ;)
I've been using a64 tweaker startup settings for a few weeks now, in the BIOS I just select the 100 divider and in windows it loads the 166 :)
Works like a charm here :)
In fact, I don't even care about the BIOS memory options anymore, since A64 can set it all for me :)

kasius
06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Yeh, but all people wannna VID + 18% and for the same price 183 divider too ;)

nfm
06-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I see some very positive effects with 5.0ns read preamble. I'm testing it with
my crappy winnie, cbbid, very very poor memory controller :(

289Mhz (2.5-4-3-7) 1:1 ratio@2601Mhz Winnie w\ 5.5ns preamble = winmemtest error at ~ %500. w\ 5.0ns preamble it goes without error forever :)

this was on rev.3 180 bios, so i think 5.0ns is coming in rev.4 Anyone also gets positive results?

4rory
06-27-2005, 06:54 PM
I always use 5ns and most screenies i see of a64 and nice tccd clocks are 5ns.

digitalfrost
06-27-2005, 07:40 PM
I see some very positive effects with 5.0ns read preamble. I'm testing it with
my crappy winnie, cbbid, very very poor memory controller :(

289Mhz (2.5-4-3-7) 1:1 ratio@2601Mhz Winnie w\ 5.5ns preamble = winmemtest error at ~ %500. w\ 5.0ns preamble it goes without error forever :)

this was on rev.3 180 bios, so i think 5.0ns is coming in rev.4 Anyone also gets positive results?I also think 5.0ns is the way to go, but be careful with that.
I integrated read preamble 5.0ns in one of my bios, but my system wouldn't boot @ 200mhz then, so if you do a cmos reset with rd 5.0ns built in you might no longer be able to boot.

nfm
06-27-2005, 07:42 PM
yes 5ns is nice. This will be the last bios that i will release before v1.9 offcicial bios. It's like an improved HH edition:

- 5.0ns read preamble (forget about it :( )
- twr upped to 3 clks (2 clks in rev.3)
- trtw upped to 3 clks (2 clks in rev.3)

what's need to be done:

- DQS, which does better job in terms of stability (faster, slower or off)
- ugh........... the tref value.....headache I believe default is 3072 no?

Many people may reach 300fsb with rev.3 easily, but those who have crappy memory\cpu's mem controller, this bios will be for you. Participate :)

EDIT: @digitalfrost, yes i know about that
EDIT: Oh men, just realized, 5.0 will be no go. hard to boot at 200HTT :(

nfm
06-27-2005, 07:47 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33247&stc=1
haha, yes!, beat my personal record on crappy cbbid winnie :toast: so this shows cpu and mem needs a lot of tweaking.

digitalfrost
06-27-2005, 08:53 PM
EDIT: Oh men, just realized, 5.0 will be no go. hard to boot at 200HTT :(Nevertheless you can integrade read preamble of 5.5ns for the people who use dividers.

To get 5.0ns working we'd need to readout current clockspeed and do an if-then-else, so say, enable it at >=266Mhz, but I don't know how to do that.

nfm
06-27-2005, 09:34 PM
yeah, good idea but it seems impossible. In Neo2 bios timings are changed only when divider is present. But hey, wait, how about hack gig lan like tictac and insert code there. Um but that wouldn't work either, gig lan is probably enabled by default no? Only options is to insert code somewhere to some useless option within the bios that is disabled by default

EDIT: We have only one option left, Hack EPA logo; which is disabled by default. Insert 5.0ns read preamble there and once we reach high htt, just enable the EPA logo
EDIT2: maybe make realtek gig lan disabled by default using modbin :) ??

enigma_pl
06-27-2005, 10:43 PM
How measure tension meter electric vcore? Where on mainboard? Which places in? Please give me some snaps, because otherwise, I will not apprehend... :P

PS. Sorry for my english... :)

----
Great bioses NFM :D

harpyboy
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
sorry to interrupt... jus here to say good effort guys !!!

sorry i can't participate... too busy with my exams now.

gambateh !!!

digitalfrost
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
EDIT2: maybe make realtek gig lan disabled by default using modbin :) ??Yeah thats easy. But integrating the code in nic.rom I have no idea how this stuff works.
I already looked at tictacs file using disassemblers but I don't get it.

Enigma: Take a look at the VCore mod thread, maybe there you will find a picture http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41350

kasius
06-28-2005, 02:55 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23902&stc=1

HI:

With my tester in this point I read 0.2v les than "real" vcore I see in bios and windows. Why???? This is the true Vcore mesure poin??

Thanks

Sonic9
06-28-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi all, I read fast reply ... finally is it possible to set DQS Mode to faster ?

digitalfrost
06-28-2005, 03:19 AM
Wow is this the XP90 ? I like how it also cools the ram

Hi all, I read fast reply ... finally is it possible to set DQS Mode to faster ?Its possible with modded bios.

Sonic9
06-28-2005, 03:20 AM
@digitalfrost: Okay fast reply ! I wait THE modded bios with DQS Mode to Faster !!

Sonic9
06-28-2005, 03:23 AM
@NFM: Thanks for your modded bios :-) and in your screenshot, what the multiplier used ? and what voltage ? thanks ! I want 280-290 of fsb sync'ed too ;-)

nfm
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
@Sonic9

I believe I used 7x multiplier, but 9x did the job also. 289x9=2601Mhz stable max on my winnie. v2.8 for my ram, default voltage for cpu at 7x multi, at 9x multi 1.536-1.55

@kasius

Winchesters are undervolted by v0.1, also Neo2 flactuates

So faster DQS Mode proves to be more stable?

Sonic9
06-28-2005, 10:09 AM
My friend use a DFI nf4 and the only stable configuration is done with DQS Mode to Faster ... but for mee I continue to prime my system ... but my brother kill it and plays GTA sometimes argh

@NFM: the Rev3 has 5.0ns ??

nfm
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
@NFM: the Rev3 has 5.0ns ??

Nope, if it would, the board would be trash, it wouldn't boot at all! U use 5.0ns when you exceed ~270 fsb

Sonic9
06-28-2005, 10:18 AM
oh okay , thanks for this tip ... I'm french so I don't understand at the first read ;-)

enigma_pl
06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
HI:

With my tester in this point I read 0.2v les than "real" vcore I see in bios and windows. Why???? This is the true Vcore mesure poin??

Thanks

So, there I try too. I had near exactly 1,8V and i don't believe that the motherboard give such tension... :|

in bios: 1,4 + 5%
on meter electric: 1,8V

Some other ideas?

4rory
06-28-2005, 02:01 PM
@ need.for.mhz

DQS skew will be very different for everyone, it's basiaclly the skew delay.
Which is the small time difference when signals are received compared to one another.
It will most of the time be within a certain range especailly on the same board, but depending on the rams can be very different, maybe we can test will only 808 brainpower pcbs and see if the same settings helps everyone with the same ram pcbs and chips too maybe.

sideeffect
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Read preamble of 5ns works better for me as well.

Moonman
06-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Can someone sen me this bios: v1.8Mod [NFM] Rev.3 BIOS
nfm's server seems to be overloaded :(

mail: gregat [a] gmail.com
Tnx

mapel110
06-28-2005, 03:50 PM
is it possible to get less than 1.1 Volt for the CPU on that board?

The Bios option is ignored. When I set it to 0.8 Volt and 800 Mhz defaultspeed, I get in Windows always 1.1 Volt.
Other Tweakers like RMClock or Clockgen show also that problem. No less than 1.1 Volt. :(

I got a Venice 3000+ and 1.8 normal bios. Is it because the Bios doesnt know the CPU?

sideeffect
06-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Can someone sen me this bios: v1.8Mod [NFM] Rev.3 BIOS
nfm's server seems to be overloaded :(

mail: gregat [a] gmail.com
Tnx

Server is my server and i doupt it can get overloaded. Maybe just a isp issue try again.

sideeffect
06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
is it possible to get less than 1.1 Volt for the CPU on that board?

The Bios option is ignored. When I set it to 0.8 Volt and 800 Mhz defaultspeed, I get in Windows always 1.1 Volt.
Other Tweakers like RMClock or Clockgen show also that problem. No less than 1.1 Volt. :(

I got a Venice 3000+ and 1.8 normal bios. Is it because the Bios doesnt know the CPU?

Why would you want under 1.1 volts anyway the chip would run super cool at that voltage.

CD 1986
06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd just like to thank NFM for his modded boises! Using 1.80 rev2, i just broke 30s for the 1st time in the unpatched Super-Pi 1M (29.988s)...at 10x280 and 1:1 memory @ 2.5-3-3-7. :D

Next i'll try the SSE3 patched version and break 29s. ;)

Blinkme323
06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I need a bios to run 300HTT, 3x HT, 8x CPU, 133 divider, 2.5-3-3-10. I can't boot at that currently. I a, using 260 HTT, 9x CPU, 133 divider now. That would be fine if there was a 150 divider.

digitalfrost
06-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Blinkme323 if your system doesn't even post at these settings a bios mod can't help you. The code is executed at end of the bios part, so does your system hang after the bios finished, or does is not post at all?

Edit: 1.96 BETA is out. http://msi-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=17502

ColdCollisions
06-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi, I've got Winch + 2x512 corsair xl v1.1 maxes out at 240htt, using 2.5-3-3-8
cpu@280x10 -166 max /mem at 234 -- Pi 32mb stable, hoping might get few more mhz with a newer bios- on 1.36b @ moment.

I see a few new bios, which one's should I try?
OR which one's should I NOT try :)
I read the whole thread(quite a few times) but most of the memory settings info is well above my head sorry.
Any advice truly appreciated :)

Edit: this memory dosn't like twr = 2 clks - trwt = 2 clks when set in A64Tweaker, guess I'll stay where I am until I get better memory.

Blinkme323
06-29-2005, 09:18 AM
When I first got my mobo, I was running 1.8. I maxed out at 2.43cpu, 215 memory, and HTT was 315 but I didn't try to go higher. Now with the modded bios, which works great at my current setting, can only do 285 HTT. I need the best bios for a high HTT. Ram timings don't have to be real loose.

sideeffect
06-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I'd just like to thank NFM for his modded boises! Using 1.80 rev2, i just broke 30s for the 1st time in the unpatched Super-Pi 1M (29.988s)...at 10x280 and 1:1 memory @ 2.5-3-3-7. :D

Next i'll try the SSE3 patched version and break 29s. ;)

Nice one mate :banana:

Blinkme323
06-29-2005, 09:51 AM
I tried NFM rev3. I could boot at 290-300 but blue screened while loading 2000. I am back to 265x9 instead of 295x8. They would do the same thing except I wouldn't b e underclocking my memory. BTW, I am only using 1.45v somehow. I doubt it is stable but I am typing from it.

sideeffect
06-29-2005, 11:08 AM
1.96 beta gives me same error as 1.95 beta

Warning : Have Option Rom Can not be invoke (vendor ID: IODEH Device ID: OODFH)

The bios boots windows loads ok just cant enter bios setup. I tried removing all the fan headers but it didnt help. :slapass:

any ideas?

CD 1986
06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
What flashing method did you use?

If you used winflash, make sure you ticked all the boxes so that the DMI area is updated as well as the main block of the bios, since 1.9b has a different bios structure from the older bioses.

Just flashed 1.9b6...

- the CPU multiplier option is now selectable and works
- the voltage options are back in % over-volt (upto 10%)
- the 216, 233, 250mhz memory dividers don't work correctly
- 183mhz divider not selectable in bios, but visible in modbin6

Maybe someone could try and activate the extra mem divider options, and the extra over-volt options? NFM? :)

flenser
06-29-2005, 11:30 AM
I can't find anything on this mobo and the A64 X2 cpus. Did I just miss it or did MSI leave us hanging?

CD 1986
06-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I can't find anything on this mobo and the A64 X2 cpus. Did I just miss it or did MSI leave us hanging?
I believe that the new 1.9 bios will support X2. I just loaded on 1.9b6 and on the bootup screen (right hand side) it says "1 CPU" detected, therefore its probable that it can detect more cores also. ;)

raydelee
06-29-2005, 01:34 PM
What flashing method did you use?

If you used winflash, make sure you ticked all the boxes so that the DMI area is updated as well as the main block of the bios, since 1.9b has a different bios structure from the older bioses.

Just flashed 1.9b6...

- the CPU multiplier option is now selectable and works
- the voltage options are back in % over-volt (upto 10%)
- the 216, 233, 250mhz memory dividers don't work correctly
- 183mhz divider not selectable in bios, but visible in modbin6

Maybe someone could try and activate the extra mem divider options, and the extra over-volt options? NFM? :)

pls where to download this 1.9b6 bios

flenser
06-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks!

I hope they wait to release it until they get it right.

CD 1986
06-29-2005, 01:46 PM
1.96 download link:

http://msi-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=17502

nfm
06-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Maybe someone could try and activate the extra mem divider options, and the extra over-volt options? NFM?

I'm really busy right now :( Will get back later today. btw nice to see 1.9B6 BIOS out.Waiting for offcial release :toast:

just everybody hang on

kasius
06-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Waiting for offcial release :toast:

Waiting too. We will see that MSI guys knows to make!

damascato
06-30-2005, 07:04 AM
I got this mb. I've bought for the 1st tima a serial ata hd. NO WAY TO GET IT WORKING!

I got no more the mb installation cd, so I dowloaded drivers from MSI website and I've put them into a floppy...

I run windows xp installation, I hit F6, I install the drivers (S key)- win finds either sata driveres, either raid drivers -, I hit RETURN to confirm.... no way to let windows find the hd in the following screenshot.... it says something like "no hd"...

someone can help me?!?!'

Please!!! :p:

sideeffect
06-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes i dont see the point in modding the beta as theres going to be problems with it and if the 183, 150 divider was ready to be enabled msi would have done it. Better to wait for the official and then mod from there. Doesnt work for me anyway so im still using 1.8 :p:

harpyboy
06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
I got this mb. I've bought for the 1st tima a serial ata hd. NO WAY TO GET IT WORKING!

I got no more the mb installation cd, so I dowloaded drivers from MSI website and I've put them into a floppy...

I run windows xp installation, I hit F6, I install the drivers (S key)- win finds either sata driveres, either raid drivers -, I hit RETURN to confirm.... no way to let windows find the hd in the following screenshot.... it says something like "no hd"...

someone can help me?!?!'

Please!!! :p:

i installed winxp on a SATA disk without the need to press F6 to install 3rd party hdd drivers......

paulopais
06-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Someone can help me??? :confused:
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/paulopais/erro.jpg

I don´t inderstand i have an 1.4 bios from msi.

corruption
06-30-2005, 03:00 PM
This is taken from a post of mine, #1527 in this thread. Follow these instructions to flash bios from a floppy. Use the bios version of your choice if you don't want to install the official 1.8 bios.

If you're unsure about flashing the bios from a floppy, follow these instructions:
1.) Insert floppy disk into your floppy drive. (of a working computer with internet access) Format and "Create an MS-DOS startup disk."
2.) Download "AWFL833D.EXE" from http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/AWFL833D.EXE
3.) Download "7025v18F.zip" from http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/7025v18F.zip (That bios image is the same one that you'd get from MSI's webpage. It is for bios 1.8 final release, so it should support venice and sandiego chips.)
4.) Copy "AWFL833D.EXE" to the floppy disk.
5.) Decompress the bios file "7025v18F.zip". There will be a folder called "7025v18F" created and it will have 4 files in it. Don't worry about any except the one titled "w7025nms.180". Change the name of the file "w7025nms.180" to "w7025nms.bin". Copy "w7025nms.bin" to the floppy disk.
6.) Insert the floppy into the machine that you want to reflash. (K8N Neo2 Platinum in this case.)
7.) As the computer is booting, keep hitting F11 (pretty sure it's F11) to get the boot menu. Choose to boot off of the floppy disk.
8.) When you see "A:/" type "dir" (no quotes)....this will give you a listing of the directory on the "A:" drive. (This is not necessary, but it will let you know what's on the disk so that you don't make a typo.)
9.) You will see "A:/" on the screen....type the following after it:
AWFL833D w7025nms.bin
It will look like this: A:/AWFL833D w7025nms.bin
10.) Hit enter and follow the instructions that come up on the screen. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER OR RESTART IT UNTIL THE FLASH IS COMPLETE! (It will let you know when it's done.....it shouldn't take more than 4 minutes tops to copy the bios files.)
11.) Restart with the floppy out of the drive and keep pressing "del" until you get into the bios when rebooting.

sideeffect
06-30-2005, 04:26 PM
just broke 3ghz stable :banana: :banana:

4rory
06-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Nice is that with the vapo?

What psu do you have, I got the same board and I can't apply more then 1.60 in corecenter (1.5 actual) before it shuts downs, are there any voltages at which your shuts down Just trying to find out whats the cause. How many amps on your 12volt line.

brschmid
06-30-2005, 05:24 PM
prime stable? and running a half multiplier puts your ram at the 10x divider sped doesn't it?

digitalfrost
06-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Someone can help me??? :confused:
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/paulopais/erro.jpg

I don´t inderstand i have an 1.4 bios from msi.You can try and flash it with UniFlash.

CD 1986
07-01-2005, 02:18 AM
just broke 3ghz stable :banana: :banana:
Nice work with that vapo! ;) Now for 3.1Ghz! :p:

sideeffect
07-01-2005, 05:01 AM
Nice is that with the vapo?

What psu do you have, I got the same board and I can't apply more then 1.60 in corecenter (1.5 actual) before it shuts downs, are there any voltages at which your shuts down Just trying to find out whats the cause. How many amps on your 12volt line.
Yes i had this to and i thought that it was the cpu reaching its limit but it wasnt at all. The cpu hammers the 12 volt line and with a vapochill and 9800 also drawing power on the 12 volt it can cause i problem. I use 2 psus now a 430 watt enermax to power the vapochill and the case fans and a 460 watt enermax to power the rest. Cpu clocks a bit higher, voltages are much more stable. You cant trust mbm or speedfan they give wrong reading on the +12 and +3.3 v lines you need to use systool or corecenter to get the right reading.

sideeffect
07-01-2005, 05:19 AM
prime stable? and running a half multiplier puts your ram at the 10x divider sped doesn't it?
It says in cpuz that its a 12x divider 250.6x12 = 3006 which is my cpu speed.
htt is 286.4 x 10.5 = 3006 as well.

voltages are all spot on even under full load. So far i ran 6 hours prime stable plus lots of gaming and 3dmark benchmarking its fully stable the cpu has more in it im sure, its the ram that needs lots of messing around with to get it stable at highish speeds.
Heres some sisoft benchmarks at current speed with 32 bit version of sisoft win32
http://www.swjka.com/website/pictures/sisoft.jpg

4rory
07-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I opened my psu and modded the rails on it to bump up the volts on all the rails, I only have 18amps on my 12volt line, I got a 9800pro, gig of rev.2, 1 raptor drive, 1 dvd burner and like 12 fans +90mm tornado, and 4 cold cathod lights :D.

I'm gona try to test this weekend with a lowend video card that draws less and if it's the case and I get better clocks with a lower drawing video i'll pick up a ocz psu.

sideeffect
07-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I opened my psu and modded the rails on it to bump up the volts on all the rails, I only have 18amps on my 12volt line, I got a 9800pro, gig of rev.2, 1 raptor drive, 1 dvd burner and like 12 fans +90mm tornado, and 4 cold cathod lights :D.

I'm gona try to test this weekend with a lowend video card that draws less and if it's the case and I get better clocks with a lower drawing video i'll pick up a ocz psu.

Good luck mate. I have 33A on the 12 volt line and it works a treat.

FatRakoon
07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Does anyone fancy throwing me some info here?

Basically, I got the Neo2 Platinum.
I got a Winchester 3200 that has done 2.8 ( 285FSB to be exact )
I got Corsair XMS4400TX that can do 285FSB

Yet, no matter what I do, no matter what guides I try to follow, the best stable clock I have had is 230FSB.

I have had it to 235, when it finished the BIOS screen, then just as Windows is supposed to start... It hangs?

234 and Windows does startup, but then it BSODs when I am expecting the logo to appear!?

Its me, I know it is, but I am really miffed at this, because so far, its no faster than my Barton or XP17 Clocked boxes and I expected so much more.

Could anyone perhaps tell me what to set in the BIOS, and to what, to try to get it further?

Like I said, both the CPU and the RAM can, and have done it.

Just not by me.

sideeffect
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Yet, no matter what I do, no matter what guides I try to follow, the best stable clock I have had is 230FSB.

I have had it to 235, when it finished the BIOS screen, then just as Windows is supposed to start... It hangs?

234 and Windows does startup, but then it BSODs when I am expecting the logo to appear!?

Its me, I know it is, but I am really miffed at this, because so far, its no faster than my Barton or XP17 Clocked boxes and I expected so much more.

Could anyone perhaps tell me what to set in the BIOS, and to what, to try to get it further?

Just not by me.

I think most of the problems with the board are ram related. Try NFM modded bios to see if that helps you, it sets different timings for the ram and can help . Other option is to open athlon 64 tweaker and windows memtest and try all the different settings until you find whats stable for you.

harpyboy
07-01-2005, 04:29 PM

Just not by me.

do not use SATA port 1 & 2

4rory
07-01-2005, 04:59 PM
yup just about to say that dont use those sata ports there not locked and will mess up the sata drives use the ones near the cpu socket.

sideeffect
07-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Did 1.96 beta bios fix the sata locking issue ?

Edit - yes it does apparantly fix the issue, shows details at msi user forum.

Zeus...
07-02-2005, 04:18 AM
Any one tried out the 1.9b6 bios yet!
is it any better than the 1.9b5?
As I (all of us!) was hoping for the offical 1.9 for July but they seem to be having problems - but then again its not as if all the other Nforce3 mobos r issue free with venice, sandy and X2 :rolleyes:

CD 1986
07-02-2005, 07:03 AM
I found 1.96 to be better than 1.95 - has working multiplier controls etc. I'm running it on my system now, and it seems just as stable as any of the 1.8 Mods. No improvement in OC, but not too bad for a beta bios. :)

4rory
07-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Can we have a modded version of the beta bios? Please Who knows how long it will be befor an offical release, It shouldnt take long, and the 1.8mod on the 166 divider uses a max async latency of 8 and readpreamble of 6.5ns.

can we just have a 1.96 bios modded with

read write queue bypass of 16x
bypass max 7x
max async latency of 7ns
readpremble of 6ns
idle cycle limit of 256clks

thats all thats needed for 1.96 since we got some alpha timings in that bios.
maybe we can add some more timings to the bios?
ryderocz on the ocz fourms mentioned that he thinks the reason tccd/tcc5 is not clocking well on sandys and venice core are because they drive the memory "strong"
and not even the lowest setting on some boards, like ours can set the drive stregnth low enough. does the drive strengh in bios have a value for both the week and strong settings... maybe they can be lowered?

Lestat
07-02-2005, 08:51 AM
is there a way to get at least 3~3.1v out of these boards.

i cant stand the friggin fact that i cant go past 250mhz stable with my ocz pc4000 el gold rev 2 since all i can get is 2.85v
this ram needs more and right now i cant afford a ddr booster unless someone wants to do some hardware trading ;)

its controlled by the 3.3v line so there for no vmod should be needed.
I dont think they put a cap on it like asus does with the k8ne deluxe where you cant go higher than 2.7v

didnt i read somewhere that the neo2 plat has a voltage stop at 3v ?
many people need those extra volts me inparticular lol.

sideeffect
07-02-2005, 09:19 AM
For anyone that has issues when trying to use the 1.96 beta bios and unable to get into bios setup this bios mod is for you. The error was caused by the cpu temperature reading so this bios removes that reading from the bios and so the setup menu now loads.

Big thanks to cd1986 for this mod. The bios has been tested by me and works fine but the risk is yours to take.

1.96 beta no temps mod (http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios/index.php?dir=./cd1986)

CD 1986
07-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Three things you could try to increase the memory voltage on this board:

- buy an OCZ DDR Booster (easiest way)
- add a v-mod --> http://www.rhcf.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000023;p=0
- if you have adjustable rails on your PSU, increase the 3.3v rail to say 3.7-3.8v

Lestat
07-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Two things you could try to increase the memory voltage on this board:

- buy an OCZ DDR Booster (easiest way)
- if you have adjustable rails on your PSU, increase the 3.3v to say 3.7-3.8v and that will increase mem voltage

adjusting the 3.3v rail has absolutely no bearing on your memory voltage adjustments in a bios that stops at 2.85v.

thats why when you set it to 2.7 its 2.7v +/- raising the rails to over 3.3v will not cause the vdimm voltages to raise. you'll only cause hardware failure as the board isnt designed to handle voltages that high.

the ONLY way this is possible is if you have a vdimm mod on your board and can adjust it via the mod.

not sure where you learned that adjusting the rails raises the vdimm thats just impossible.
if it were possible then why would there even be a voltage adjustment in the bios with a limit.

the limit set my MSI on this board as far as i know is 3.0v it may be 2.9though im still researching.

you guys who are modding these have tons more knowledge then i so you tell me an you adjust it via a bios mod ? of course going over the cap set in my the hardware voltage controller is impossible thats what a hardware mod is for but if the hardware limit is higher than what the bios actually is then you should be able to raise it.

sideeffect
07-02-2005, 10:03 AM
The memory voltage is controlled with a resistor/ regulator conected to the +3.3 voltage line. Bios cant be moded to go above the maximum that the regulator will allow. People seem to think that the maximum setting on the regulator is 2.9 volts so thats the most you will get from the board without modding it.

You can do a 3.3 wire mod from the 3.3 line to the dimm but it involves cutting a trace on the motherboard and then you can control the voltage with the 3.3 rail like cd1986 was saying.

The easiest way is to use a ddr booster and it makes no sence to cut a trace in the board unless u are using 4 sticks of ram and have no space for the booster or you want more than 3.5 volts which i think is the maximum of the booster.

Lestat
07-02-2005, 10:11 AM
cd 1986 i just talked to :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:breaker and he corrected me so i apologize,,, you are correct.

didnt think it would work since the hardware voltage controller locks what you tell it to in the bios but when you "trick it"

thanks for the heads up

brschmid
07-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Hey, can anyone mod a bios and add more "drive strength" options. i am hitting a huge wall because of TCCD + Venice mem controller. the "weak" setting is not weak enough.

alexgontijo
07-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi guys,

I took a new CPU today, 3200+ Venice 0519, it got rock solid till 2.7 GHz and 1.55v.

2.750 I tested with 1.6v but was kind of unstable.

So I wonder: there's anything I can try to get it stable at 2.750? (275x10)

My memory is at 166 divider, at ~ 230 MHz, 2.3.3.6. I tested at 2.3.2.6 and the memtested passed OK, but with this config the Windows don't boot. It hangs in the Welcome screen. Any ideas? Why the memtest approves it and the Windows don't?

Thanks a lot any answer,

AleX

4rory
07-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Yes, I agree we need a bios with a weaker "weak" drive strg setting.

nfm
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Can anyone send request to MSI about richer BIOS settings?

Lestat
07-02-2005, 04:29 PM
msi is not gunna do anything else with dram settings for this bios.

if you have read the forum over there some !@$!%^ retard has the balls to try and take MSI to court cuz he flashed his board with a beta bios and it killed his board.

not only is the thought rediculous but the forums have soooooo many warnings about using a beta bios and the correct way to flash that there is no way in hell that this guy can win he also would spend 100x's the amount to have this board rma'd or just replaced.

dont look to msi to continue to cater to overclocking. infact i wouldnt be surprised if they start pulling :banana::banana::banana::banana: like ASUS and severly limiting overclocking with horrible voltage and ram settings.

frankly this board has enough issues already with memory compatability and settings over 250mhz.

im already looking for a new board, nothing wrong with mine i just got used to my Lanparty 250GB UT when i had my clawhammer and nothing can compare to that... so..

asking msi for richer bios settings is just a mute point they arent gunna do it,, its hard enough to get them to release a bios that's even worth trying let alone one with more options.
i love MSI always have but their AMD64 line of boards really has some serious issues that they, years after their release still havent fixed

nfm
07-02-2005, 04:33 PM
@Lestat

Good info, very well said. I feel like going to DFI nf4

brschmid
07-02-2005, 04:37 PM
me too, just ordered a DFI Ultra-D and a 9200SE PCI gfx card (omg, it is gonna roxor LOL)

but seriously, there is nothing wrong with my motherboard other than the lack of a weaker drive strength setting:(

Zeus...
07-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Concur

Just waiting for DFI NF3 to sort out its issues

Lestat
07-02-2005, 07:24 PM
im am just trying to find the DFI 939 AGP board thats the best

i cant find it :(

and im such a freak for trading and stuff in the forums its gunna be hard to find. :(

anyone want a NEO2 plat and a gig of corsair pc3200 in trade for a GOOD DFI 939 board ? AGP version

harpyboy
07-02-2005, 07:44 PM
great.. my raptor with my winxp just died on me..... no spare space or drive to install OS..... living now on ubuntu liveCD....... *sob.... aiiii just when i wanted to try the 1.9b6 BIOS...

anyway... superPI 1M runs 5 seconds faster on linux64... LOL...

nfm
07-02-2005, 07:50 PM
great.. my raptor with my winxp just died on me..... no spare space or drive to install OS..... living now on ubuntu liveCD....... *sob.... aiiii just when i wanted to try the 1.9b6 BIOS...

anyway... superPI 1M runs 5 seconds faster on linux64... LOL...

Damn that sucks, i feel the pain. Never, I say ever try MSI's earliest BIOSes! especially v1.9 betas that are written from scratch

sideeffect
07-03-2005, 02:29 AM
DFI AGP has more issues than the MSI. I was thinking about it to but i havnt seen any people who are able to get better overclocks with the dfi when they traded from the MSI.

We Can now add any memory timings we want to the bios by editing the bios so it doesnt matter if MSI add any more or not really. Voltages well the new venice san diegos dont like high voltage anyway and same with modern ram and a ddr booster works as well and is cheap.

The MSI is a very stable board im sure there are bad versions of it but i have a good one and its highly stable, voltages hardly fluctuate and the cpu clock is also highly stable you set 250fsb u get it dead on.

Raptors die all the time btw i doupt it was the motherboard to blame.

BTW NFM cd1986 made a 1.96 beta bios that removes the cpu temp reading and so will load setup. I had the same issue as you did and the bios works now that setting was removed. no temp bios (http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios/index.php?dir=./cd1986)

brschmid
07-03-2005, 05:15 AM
my board is great as long as i use a divider to keep my ram (Plat Rev 2's) at around 200mhz or less. if i go over then it craps out because the mem controller commands too much from them. the only way to counteract is via lower drive strength, which this board does not have:(

sideeffect
07-03-2005, 07:00 AM
my board is great as long as i use a divider to keep my ram (Plat Rev 2's) at around 200mhz or less. if i go over then it craps out because the mem controller commands too much from them. the only way to counteract is via lower drive strength, which this board does not have:(

Try 133 3.9us tref setting it helps me a lot in any divider.

Lestat
07-03-2005, 07:15 AM
murdock has added several memory settings to his last round of bios's but be mindfull of the 196 beta he has.

if your 12v and or 3.3v lines are raised to high the system will not boot to any device.
it posts fine, it goes thru the whole process but when you try to boot to a floppy or cd or hard drive it says its gunna do it but nothing happens.
i had to lower my 3.3v line down to exactly 3.3v it was at 3.55v to raise my memory voltage more since 2.85v isnt enough for this OCZ PC4000 rev 2.
i spent 2 hours last night trying to figure out why it wouldnt boot. and finally on a whim dropped the 3.3v and 12v back to stock rails and she booted fine. i thought for sure i had lost my mobo.

another thing i saw was that it was saying that the -12v was only 7v this could have also been it but it didnt boot to the floppy so i could reflash with NFM bios until i lowered the 3.3v line

If the extra memory options can me enabled all i can tell modders is grab a stock DFI bois from the NF3 250GB and explore that and see how they have it layed out and then implement them into the MSI bios.

this needs to be done. it might be a good board but modding only certain aspects of the memory timings isnt enough you need to explore all options each setting is effected by the others so to change one many times in higher overclocks you need to change others also.

i just cant figure out why my system isnt stable past 255mhz no matter what voltage, no matter what multiplier and no matter what divider.

only thing i can think of is a faulty mem controller on the cpu itself and if thats the case man-o-man im gunna be pissed.

CD 1986
07-03-2005, 08:17 AM
murdock has added several memory settings to his last round of bios's
Link please. :)

Sonic9
07-03-2005, 08:20 AM
http://www.msi-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=17502

get a temp's login at www.bugmenot.com

nfm
07-03-2005, 08:48 AM
DFI AGP has more issues than the MSI. I was thinking about it to but i havnt seen any people who are able to get better overclocks with the dfi when they traded from the MSI.

We Can now add any memory timings we want to the bios by editing the bios so it doesnt matter if MSI add any more or not really. Voltages well the new venice san diegos dont like high voltage anyway and same with modern ram and a ddr booster works as well and is cheap.

The MSI is a very stable board im sure there are bad versions of it but i have a good one and its highly stable, voltages hardly fluctuate and the cpu clock is also highly stable you set 250fsb u get it dead on.

Raptors die all the time btw i doupt it was the motherboard to blame.

BTW NFM cd1986 made a 1.96 beta bios that removes the cpu temp reading and so will load setup. I had the same issue as you did and the bios works now that setting was removed. no temp bios (http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios/index.php?dir=./cd1986)
Very well said, I had NF4 in mind. I PMed tictac about NIC hacking, he didn't answer :( I wanted to hack Realtek Gigalan, make it disabled by default, and add to it 5.0ns read preamble tref etc, so they can be anbled when you reach high htt, because with default 200 they wouldn't boot

sideeffect
07-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I get a reading of 7 volts on the -12 volt line as well. I think that its just broken :)

4rory
07-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I get the same 7votl reading on the -12 volt line.

How many tref values do we have access to on this board, maybe we can have a vote to see which ones are the most common and then have bios made with them on all dividers. I read tref has a big impact on stablility.

sideeffect
07-03-2005, 08:59 AM
for me 200 3.9us (a64 tweaker setting) Actually i think its 7.8us really is the best 1:1. 133 3.9us is the best with any of the other dividers.

Athlon 64 tweaker is wrong when it says 3.9 it really is 7.8us you can check with rmma. Cd1986 and i did some testing on it look back a few pages.

4rory
07-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Well can the people that are doing the bios modded check to see which tref values they can implement into the bios and then drops them here and I'll test with what we can use. and hopefully other will to.