PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL MSI K8N Neo2-939 tips and tricks guide thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

jackea
10-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Hi Thanks for the replies was actually driving me quite nuts :) with about 200 clearing of the cmos I think I will leave it at 1/1 makes life all so much easier.

Have found that the crucial ballistix scales nicely 11 x 264MHz 1/1 @ 2.5 / 3 /3 / 8 / 2T – 1T goes out the window after 250MHz.

One other slight annoyance soz if it’s already been covered but my Optical mouse stays lit when the system has been powered off, is this normal, but on a plus note I can find the computer in the dark :bounces:

Thanks Whap

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I also have the cold boot problem.
I have found that increasing the AGP voltage(I'm now at 1.85V) helps to increase maximum bootable HTT, also disabling all non used onchip features
such as S-ATA, firewire etc helps a bit. You could as I do use Clockgen to set
higher HTT after you have loaded windows and before you shut down you set it to a lower vaule again.

msimax
10-27-2005, 04:31 PM
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2972/imga03104bd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mem volts

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3619/imga03112yd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

messy system

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6320/imga03136ei.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

new bh5 stable shot wit > MSI K8N Neo2-939 with SE bios 1.bb3
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2042/untitled4zt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BottleO
10-28-2005, 12:23 AM
This thread is too long! Forgive me for not finding a past answer to this question.

I want to go from 1Gb RAM (2x512 Crucial Ballistix PC3200 DDR400 2-2-2-5) to 2Gb RAM (2x1Gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000 DDR500). Will the PC4000/DDR500 RAM work OK on the Neo2 Platinum? Can I keep it at T1? Will I have to relax the timings a bit?

BTW, I have a 3500+ Winchester and I don't do any overclocking.

Thanks in advance.

Special_K
10-28-2005, 03:48 AM
it will work fine if you don't do any overclocking, but will be a waste of money. You will probably be able to tighten the timings if you are not going to run it at DDR500.

paulopais
10-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Sorry people, but i have to ask, this thread is too long..

What is the best bios for neo2 with opteron and tccd?? :D

BottleO
10-28-2005, 06:34 AM
it will work fine if you don't do any overclocking, but will be a waste of money. You will probably be able to tighten the timings if you are not going to run it at DDR500.

By "...will be a waste of money", do you mean 'why upgrade if you're not going to overclock?'

I want to upgrade, not because I want the system to run faster, but because I want to help prevent stutters in BF2 and FS2004. My logic was, more RAM - more things can be pre-loaded = less HDD access during application running. But I'll agree this may be a simple-minded approach :slapass: (note, smily incongruously placed here only because I think it's funny)

sinister1st
10-28-2005, 09:27 AM

Cmon special k were waiting for you to overclock those 2x1gb crucial in your sig :) .

Im dieing to see how they do on the neo2. Please some screenies! :toast:

el rolio
10-28-2005, 10:17 AM
By "...will be a waste of money", do you mean 'why upgrade if you're not going to overclock?'

I want to upgrade, not because I want the system to run faster, but because I want to help prevent stutters in BF2 and FS2004. My logic was, more RAM - more things can be pre-loaded = less HDD access during application running. But I'll agree this may be a simple-minded approach :slapass: (note, smily incongruously placed here only because I think it's funny)

no i think he means it will be a waste of money to buy sticks rated for overclocking specifically... DR500 and all that. therefore, if you are not overclocking, try and find 2x1GB sticks that are rated for ddr400 and are cheaper. if you cannot find any for cheaper, then go ahead and buy the sticks you asked about... and at which point you might be able to tighten the timings , given that we can assume the timing specced for ddr500 are looser than what they might be at ddr400.

thats what he says. everyone here would love to have 2gb of ram. there can be no wrong :P (besides slightly limited extreme overclocking - which doesnt apply to you anyhoo)

el rolio
10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Sorry people, but i have to ask, this thread is too long..

What is the best bios for neo2 with opteron and tccd?? :D

i dunno whats the best, most of us neo2 opterown tccd/bh-5 users are on 1.c bios. you can also use 1.b

your choice. it just should be newer than 1.8 i think at least.

paulopais
10-28-2005, 10:35 AM
i dunno whats the best, most of us neo2 opterown tccd/bh-5 users are on 1.c bios. you can also use 1.b

your choice. it just should be newer than 1.8 i think at least.

Sorry, can you give me the link?? i´am portuguese and i don´t talk english very good.. i have tccd and bh5 memory, i will try with the booth memory´s

sideeffect
10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Yes Ive also been using 2 x 512 mb sticks running fast with good timings. The newer games though like Black and White 2 , battlefield 2 etc just need more ram. Even if the ram has to be run slower it will still make those games that need more ram faster so i dont think its a waste personally.

About the overclocking well 1gb sticks are heavier on the mem controller than 512mb sticks. You should be able to run in 1T at DDR 400 no problem. The memory controller on the winchester will determine how much higher you can clock.

I read a comparison recently comparing the newer cpus to older models and the memory controller although not all what AMD promised is still a lot more capable on san diego and opteron based cpus. This is even more previlant when using 1gb modules where gains of 40 mhz ram speed were observed with newer cpus.

Special_K
10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Cmon special k were waiting for you to overclock those 2x1gb crucial in your sig :) .

Im dieing to see how they do on the neo2. Please some screenies! :toast:

dunno what the problem is, but this PC has random shutdowns when using the 2x1GB Ballistix stix even at these low speeds =/

mebe it's time to actually buy a floppy drive and run memtest from DOS (have tried the windows memtest and it ran for 1 hour with no errors, yet randomly shutdown about 5 mins after ending that test????) :shrug:

and yeah, el_rolio said what K meant - why buy RAM for $300 that is rated at 500MHz and only run it at 400MHz, when you could get some RAM for $150 and still run that at 400MHz ? - which is kinda what K R feeling right now =/

sinister1st
10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Special k can you run 2-2-2-5 or 2-3-2-5 at ddr 400? Random shutdowns? Well I guess if you have random shutdowns then we wont see any good shots then. :(
Did you try another psu?

Special_K
10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
tried a new PSU - still same probs

anywhoo, K read somewhere about the onboard 1394/LAN controller not being upto much, so K disabled it for a while and tried some "noob tweaking" for max HTT 1:1 1T

windows loaded once at 250HTT with the 183 divider and using A64Tweaker to set it to 200 managed to get this screenie (don't even think about asking for any benchmarks lol)

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/8526/250htt4cs.th.png (http://img457.imageshack.us/my.php?image=250htt4cs.png)

max windows loadup (plus a few loops of PRIME and SuperPI1M(31sec)) was 247MHz

now the weird thing - K re-enabled the onboard NIC & LAN and the damn thing wont even think about anything higher than 232MHz HTT????

so how do you use the MAC LAN thing on this mobo then? It asks for a MAC Address and K have no idea what that is =/

anybody have any ideas?

will try CAS2 later for you Sin

msimax
10-28-2005, 07:24 PM
is anyone who recently bought this checking the thermal grease on the chipset??? before i had stability my temp were around 75-85c took off the fan there was nothing hardly there.so i put some as5 temps went down like crazy now i use a heatsink from a DFI LP NF2 and my temps never go over 11c

what im saying to those who just bought the board and dont want to read through this thread, do this step first before u do any overclocking :->

JasonDTM
10-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Anyone notice hitting a wall at 291 - 295htt?

I cant break that point, got up to 295mhz htt and went to set 300mhz and it crapped out. :/

sinister1st
10-28-2005, 08:20 PM
tried a new PSU - still same probs

anywhoo, K read somewhere about the onboard 1394/LAN controller not being upto much, so K disabled it for a while and tried some "noob tweaking" for max HTT 1:1 1T

windows loaded once at 250HTT with the 183 divider and using A64Tweaker to set it to 200 managed to get this screenie (don't even think about asking for any benchmarks lol)

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/8526/250htt4cs.th.png (http://img457.imageshack.us/my.php?image=250htt4cs.png)

max windows loadup (plus a few loops of PRIME and SuperPI1M(31sec)) was 247MHz

now the weird thing - K re-enabled the onboard NIC & LAN and the damn thing wont even think about anything higher than 232MHz HTT????

so how do you use the MAC LAN thing on this mobo then? It asks for a MAC Address and K have no idea what that is =/

anybody have any ideas?

will try CAS2 later for you Sin

Pretty good there Sk. Your mac address is it there or is it FFFFFFFF? See if it is there and let us know? :toast:

sideeffect
10-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Anyone notice hitting a wall at 291 - 295htt?

I cant break that point, got up to 295mhz htt and went to set 300mhz and it crapped out. :/
Yes in the 10x multiplier i had this. In other multiplier it was ok. Maximum i managed was 330 x 9. It wouldnt cold boot at that level though. Some people have a tough time with 10 x multi others with 9 x on these new bios's. Depends on cpu maybe.

paulopais
10-28-2005, 11:57 PM
sideeffect can you help me?? My systems it´s working great but sometimes restarts, i think is the temperature protection, what you think??
I have a chiller but my neo report wrong de temperature
thkx :D

Special_K
10-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Pretty good there Sk. Your mac address is it there or is it FFFFFFFF? See if it is there and let us know? :toast:

nothing is there, it's empty :shrug:

sinister1st
10-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Ok Sk. go to start/run open cmd then type ipconfig/all make sure you have BOTH lans enabled in bios and windows and see if you have a physical address. Maybe when you flashed you lost your address. If thats the case you will have to use the right switch to get it back wich will be depending on bios AWFL833D.EXE 7025nms.180 /py /sn /nvmac:xxxxxxxxxxxx /wb /cc /cd .(example)

First try ipconfig /all see what you have, then ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew all with forward slash in cmd. :) :toast:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1041608#post1041608

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1040690#post1040690

el rolio
10-29-2005, 10:25 AM
great help you givin there sinister-nice-av-mane, wonder if you can aswer this question for me too:

is that funny bug gone with the ram timings being different depending on the voltage you select? i know its a real silly question... but i forgot how i checked it before... if i ever did, and i know im runnin 2-2-2 now... but then maybe i forget which voltage it wass that changed the timings on me.... gaahhh i cant rememebr and im thinking of puttin my bh-5 back in so i wanna know!

thanks team!

sideeffect
10-29-2005, 10:41 AM
sideeffect can you help me?? My systems it´s working great but sometimes restarts, i think is the temperature protection, what you think??
I have a chiller but my neo report wrong de temperature
thkx :D

When it restarts does it refuse to boot again for a long time like maybe an hour or more ?

I had big problems with my vapochill that i couldn't diagnose it would restart for no reason ussually when i was idle and the temps were at its lowest. It would then refuse to boot again for hours then it would and work fine for days maybe then it would happen again.... At first i thought it was condensation so i removed it all and resealed everything used loads of grease and insulation but the problem still happened.

So i thought i maybe had messed up my motherboard so i went to air and have had no problem since. Been on air now for a while and havnt gone back to vapo because of all the problems and all the hassle ... only gained a little bit of speed anyway.

sinister1st
10-29-2005, 11:00 AM
EL R well I have never had any problems with my timings getting changed. But when your in bios use the page up and down arrows to change settings sometimes they dont stick if you dont, I mean dont press enter and manual select anything use PGE ARROWS so it stays stuck. :toast:

sideeffect
10-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Well there a few people who have Got good clocks out of Bh-5 on neo 2 but theres a lot more people who have been complainging about them.

I dont think they work as well as TCCD or micron modules on the NEO2.

Even so you have a nice overclock there on the cpu and the ram speed isnt exactly bad.

Aleister
10-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Very nice overclock! :)

A while back I was thinking about ordering some new G.Skill (2x1024 to replace my 2x512). This is what I got:

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB DDR 500 (PC 4000)
Model #: F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

I am pretty happy with the results (I have a 3000+ Winnie and the Neo2).

CPU: 2430
HTT: 270
Ram: 243

I am currently using a 183 divider. Without a divider I was able to get about 250 HTT stable at 2.5 2 5 2. Right now I am at 3 3 7 3 but I am going to see if I can't tighten that a bit. I am a bit more concerned with the true clock speed, and since the ram is running faster than rated, I can't complain. :) I am using the TCCD rev. of the latest beta bios. :thumbsup:

msimax
10-29-2005, 03:41 PM
SillySider03

i recomend you do the ddr booster mod which is to put all of the mosfets on the back off the board and get rid of the stock trimmer for a 10k 15 turn pot for more voltage accuracy of 0.01v. this mod works because it moves that tremendous heat from the bottom of the booster and on your ram to the top of your case

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1028636&postcount=2757

Jolli
10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Is it normal, that my mobo doesn't like over 250 HTT? My mobo is unmodded, i have tried HT multiplier 3 and 4, still doesnt work. I have tried agp-volts 1.5-1.60, no effect :(

Is this also normal, that i put corecenter 1.7v to vcore, but when i measure it on mobo, it just 1.63v...

My mobo is unmodded.

Jolli :)

sideeffect
10-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Maybe its time to upgrade/sidegrade sillysider, Sounds like you have a particularly bad NEO2. Ive seen some stupidly cheap nforce 3 and via profesional boards flying around lately if you want to stick with AGP maybe try one of them.

paulopais
10-30-2005, 04:58 AM
When it restarts does it refuse to boot again for a long time like maybe an hour or more ?

I had big problems with my vapochill that i couldn't diagnose it would restart for no reason ussually when i was idle and the temps were at its lowest. It would then refuse to boot again for hours then it would and work fine for days maybe then it would happen again.... At first i thought it was condensation so i removed it all and resealed everything used loads of grease and insulation but the problem still happened.

So i thought i maybe had messed up my motherboard so i went to air and have had no problem since. Been on air now for a while and havnt gone back to vapo because of all the problems and all the hassle ... only gained a little bit of speed anyway.

No, the machine restarts like i press de reset.. it´s to strange, only when i pass the 3Ghz, and i try with diferents cpu´s.. they go ok until 2990mhz than puff, and all with a litle the vcore, like you can see in my pic..

http://overvoltage.pt/forum/imagens_produtos/OC/cpu-3250.JPG

It´s strange all do 2990mhz, i try with, winchester,venice,opteron and san diego :confused:
Can be a vcore problem?? all the cpu´s don´t like more than 1,63/1,65 vcore.. strange

el rolio
10-30-2005, 07:40 AM
EL R well I have never had any problems with my timings getting changed. But when your in bios use the page up and down arrows to change settings sometimes they dont stick if you dont, I mean dont press enter and manual select anything use PGE ARROWS so it stays stuck. :toast:

oh ok. nah the problem iwas talkin about was you would set 2-2-2 in bios, but in reality there was a bug of some sort that would MAKE it 2-3-2 in actual usage or something like that, and only when you used over/a particular voltage setting in the bios. hey, maybe that was a 1.3betta bios problem specifically im not even sure.

oh and for the record, my bh-5 goes up to 215 at board max volts i think. maybe it still not good enough but its 2-2-2

oh well sinister, i guess i wont worry about it then, the timings issue that is.

sinister1st
10-30-2005, 09:43 AM
I am starting to think the same way...The DFI is starting to look better and better. But I can't figure out why my brothers Neo2 rocks the house...My 6800OC will do 400Mhz on the core in his machine, which is almost identical, but only 372Mhz in mine no matter what I have tried.

During our last bench session a problem arose with my board. The 2nd RAM slot (2nd from CPU), kind of just up and died. If I put any stick of RAM in slot 2 all the board does is beep when trying to post. I was forced to use slots 3 and 4 for the RAM, with the booster in slot 2, and it seemed to work fine - only my board doesn't OC for crap using slots 3 and 4...

I may try to get slot 2 working again, if not, I may attempt to RMA it. I don't think it was anything I did that killed it because all the settings I run are usually stable (you'll get no suicide screens from me with my PC on the edge). But this is the 2nd Neo2 I have had, and each time this problem follows me...My brother has had 2 Neo2's as well, and both of his work just as they should - unless you are trying to get the RAM speed up...Then you are kinda SOL...But overall, how could 4 of the same boards be so dramatically different in performance? I think MSI is losing their mind...

Ssider it looks like you might want to rma that board if one of the slots is not working. You probably have tried the obvious (nice pics). My gskill easily scale up to 290. I dont use bios 1.a (thats the one i skipped) and I DO NOT USE the nvidia ide drivers or core cell & Im sure you have tried messing with the ati nv speed up in bios. I would try taking out your sound card and NOT using the diagnostic pci msi piecer it comes with. Also you might want to try another psu for kicks. But it looks like you have tried everything :confused:. I have heard only bad things about bios 1.a so i never even tried using it.

Nice 3ghtz on that cpu :) . I was looking into getting a vapochill but I can already do 2.7 and im satisfied with that for now on my x2 4400 if i was stuck lower i probably would. I am looking into the OCZ eb 2 gigers right now or the ballistics I think i will be able to achieve the same clocks even better with these since my gskill are the old LE's. I didnt even bother with bh5 since the neo2 limits the voltage on the ram. Im sure you have tried those sticks in your brothers rig already so you know what they can do? :toast:

Losphoron
10-30-2005, 03:02 PM
SillySider03..You at least had money to buy hardware for testing.I can't aford now Corsair or high quality rams..I have one stick of Kingmax 512 pc3200 and one stick of kingmax 256 pc2700...I had very hard problems with my system..At random times in games freeze and VPU recover restarts the VGA...This is not your case..I had this problem for over 3 month only with Direct3d games..I tried every :banana::banana::banana::banana: in my mind and a couple of days ago i end up in installing Catalyst 4.12 with FW off..Now i finished FEAR with oc from 1.8ghz to 2.2ghz efective without any problem..So just rma the board imo and get going again..
One question..Can overclock influience the burners during the writing process?...
I have an GCC 4521B combo and try to burn some movies and from 10 verbatim cd's i saved only 2 this with 1.07 firmware..

Raillex
10-30-2005, 08:36 PM
SillySider - What did you do to get your second RAM slot working again? I developed the exact same problem somewhere along the line and can't figure out what caused it or how to fix it. The board works fine with a single stick in slot 1 or with both sticks in slots 3 and 4, but for some reason it just pukes when I put them in 1 and 2. Kind of ticks me off as using slots 3 and 4 slices about 40 MHz off my formerly stable O/C using slots 1 and 2.

Jolli
10-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Anyone have anything ideas to my problem? Yesterday i test on 1.36b mod-bios, multiplier 9 and vcore 1.6v mobo run 8m superpi on 270fsb, but 275fsb reset my machine :(

TMM
10-31-2005, 03:52 AM
Is there a way to check my Vdimm with this POS mobo? My vdimm is set at 2.85v in bios but when i run core-center in windows it shows 2.7v . Everything else like agpv and vcore shows correct voltages except for vdimm.
Why doesn't this mobo let u monitor the memory voltage anyway in the bios? I went thru alot of mobos and even my old ugly looking Asus Via KT333 had it, shame on msi.
it sets it to 2.7v automatically for some od reason when you set the RAS-to-CAS to 2 :confused:. should give about 2.7-2.75v at the board - only way to get more voltage is to volt mod the board, or get a DDR booster

el rolio
10-31-2005, 08:55 AM
it sets it to 2.7v automatically for some od reason when you set the RAS-to-CAS to 2 :confused:. should give about 2.7-2.75v at the board - only way to get more voltage is to volt mod the board, or get a DDR booster

ahh sinister, this was the issue i was talking about. it didnt change the timing, i dropped the voltages as a result of setting the ras to cas to 2..... once over a specific vdimm, what is that vdimm TMM? lemme know mane cuz i need to make sure my memory is stable heh.

oh and, i think i may finally move on from the neo2 even tho i loved it alot and stuck with it for a year never complaining...

Losphoron
10-31-2005, 09:51 AM
el rolio..Buy a K8N Diamond/Sli Platinium/Neo4 from the most expensive to the cheapest :)
The 1.C firmware wasn't released oficially.Anyone have other info about it?

sinister1st
10-31-2005, 09:57 AM
ahh sinister, this was the issue i was talking about. it didnt change the timing, i dropped the voltages as a result of setting the ras to cas to 2..... once over a specific vdimm, what is that vdimm TMM? lemme know mane cuz i need to make sure my memory is stable heh.

oh and, i think i may finally move on from the neo2 even tho i loved it alot and stuck with it for a year never complaining...

Yes ER Ii seen that this morning I was thinking thats what you were talking about.
I never noticed it because i have tccd and never tried RAS-to-CAS to 2 with high volts only 290ish 2.5-3-3-7 with that much juice (2.7-2.9)nice one for me to remeber if I ever come across a set of bh5. :toast:

Jolli
10-31-2005, 10:05 AM
My 54G suck, 275fsb is highest that i can run 8m superPI over, when i set 280 ->boot etc, i have tried 8, 9 and 10 multiplier. Second thing, why my 54G suck, is that, coz its not like oldscool-BH-5, over 221fsb when 2-2-2-5-1T -> boot :( Bios is 1.36b, no help..

Nossie
10-31-2005, 10:31 AM
My 54G suck, 275fsb is highest that i can run 8m superPI over, when i set 280 ->boot etc, i have tried 8, 9 and 10 multiplier. Second thing, why my 54G suck, is that, coz its not like oldscool-BH-5, over 221fsb when 2-2-2-5-1T -> boot :( Bios is 1.36b, no help..

i got exact the same problem with my bh-5 :(, but i can get stable HTT upto 320 if i disable some things in the bios ( onboard sound,lan,sata ).

Jolli
10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
i got exact the same problem with my bh-5 :(, but i can get stable HTT upto 320 if i disable some things in the bios ( onboard sound,lan,sata ).
Its good to know, that someone have same problem that i. Tomorrow i must test disable onboard sound, lan ant SATA 1 and 2 ( i have SATA-hd ;) )

sideeffect
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
I also notice something strange with onbaord sound at high overclocks.

Sometimes my game would crash the pc if i choose a certain sound set up. Also have noticed the game will crash now if i have teamspeak running at same tame as game. Pc is stable so it must be something to do with the sound. I think ill try other drivers and maybe that will cure it.

There was a webpage somewhere with info on how to use the nvidia sound panel instead of realtek. Does anyone have that link or know how to do it peoperly to save me messing around with working it out :slap:

Nossie
10-31-2005, 02:04 PM
my max htt :

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/157/maxhtt4vo.th.jpg (http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maxhtt4vo.jpg)

with 405 not stable anymore ;)

hypermood
10-31-2005, 02:34 PM
There was a webpage somewhere with info on how to use the nvidia sound panel instead of realtek. Does anyone have that link or know how to do it peoperly to save me messing around with working it out :slap:
Uninstall the Realtek drivers then grab the AudioDrv and AudioUtl folders from one of the 6.XX nforce 4 driver kits. You can either install them manually or create your own nforce 3 remix and install. The versions below have worked flawlessly for me.

Audio driver version 4.62 (WHQL)
Audio utility version 4.51

sinister1st
10-31-2005, 02:55 PM
...Stupid computers...

DOH! LoL! I had to do that you sounded just like him! Glad to see you get it going :) :toast:

sideeffect
10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Uninstall the Realtek drivers then grab the AudioDrv and AudioUtl folders from one of the 6.XX nforce 4 driver kits. You can either install them manually or create your own nforce 3 remix and install. The versions below have worked flawlessly for me.

Audio driver version 4.62 (WHQL)
Audio utility version 4.51

Thanks hypermood im using the 4.62 version :p:

edit - back to Realtek the sound is so much better. The Realtek uses more cpu usage than the nvidia drivers but it is worth it for the quality.

Turrican
11-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't know what I did actually. I let the thing sit off all night, with no power at all going to it. And before I turned it on the next day I cleared the CMOS for a good 10 minutes. Decided to just try my sticks in 1 and 2, with the booster in slot 4 and the damn thing worked...Sorry I can't be more helpful. These Neo2 boards, or MSI boards in general, seem to have some of the most awkward issues.

hi

i've the same Problem here. My OCZ Pc4000 Vx won't work in slot 1+2, but one ram alone (in slot1) works,. :confused:

I already had this Prob. a few weeks ago. I switched my Pc off, and 40min. later i switched it on again , and the speaker beeps. :confused:

then i tried only one 256 mb pc3200 (samsung) in slot 1 and it worked, but the ocz don't. Today i tried the ocz (only one in slot1 ) just for fun and it works, but only one. When i put the second in slot 2 the board won't boot.

My sys. is in thw sig. ;)

what the hell is wrong with this board? :confused:

cu Turrican

corruption
11-01-2005, 03:21 PM
I know that the venice core has problems running dual sided memory at 1T. If you are trying to run your memory at 1T, try running it at 2T and see if it is more stable. It's worth a shot....if it fixes your problem let me know. ;)

zenzog
11-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Hey guys, got a question:

Is there any way to "tighten" the stock NB(or SB; the one with the really noisy 5k RPM fan on it. ;)) cooler (or the NB itself) on the board without using new screws or anything?
For some reason or another, it's gotten loose (?) and to boot my system up anymore, I have to press down firmly on the NB cooler.

Will try to elaborate more later, but my system is VERY unstable even when it boots!

sideeffect
11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
The northbridge cooler is attached with 2 plastic pins that go through 2 holes in the motherboard to hold the heatsink/fan in place. Probably one of these pins has come loose.

You will have to take the motherboard out of its case to fix this as you need access to the back of the motherboard. Take the heatsink off completely while you have the motherboard out of the case and clean off the old thermal paste and apply a new layer.

Losphoron
11-03-2005, 12:49 AM
anyone knows if there is a bios setting for PCI latency..I can't find it.I use 1.C3 by sideefect.Thank you.

paulopais
11-03-2005, 06:22 AM
hi

i've the same Problem here. My OCZ Pc4000 Vx won't work in slot 1+2, but one ram alone (in slot1) works,. :confused:

I already had this Prob. a few weeks ago. I switched my Pc off, and 40min. later i switched it on again , and the speaker beeps. :confused:

then i tried only one 256 mb pc3200 (samsung) in slot 1 and it worked, but the ocz don't. Today i tried the ocz (only one in slot1 ) just for fun and it works, but only one. When i put the second in slot 2 the board won't boot.

My sys. is in thw sig. ;)

what the hell is wrong with this board? :confused:

cu Turrican

Try to put the booster in slot 1 and de memory´s in 3 and 4 slot

paulopais
11-03-2005, 06:23 AM
Someone have problems to enter in the bios with subzero temps?? My neo2 don´t enter

Dr.Leary
11-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Am I the only one waiting for 1C official? Shouldn´t it be ready soon?

Draxx
11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I want to know where the BETA's can be gotten from? ;)

sideeffect
11-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Someone have problems to enter in the bios with subzero temps?? My neo2 don´t enter

Use No temp Edition of 1.B rev 2 Download (http://www.swjka.com/neo2/view_thread.php?fid=39&tid=78)

msimax
11-03-2005, 04:01 PM
do i dare consider this

http://www.msi.com.tw/html/newsrelease/product_news/2005_1102_RD480Neo2.htm

zenzog
11-04-2005, 08:32 AM
do i dare consider this

http://www.msi.com.tw/html/newsrelease/product_news/2005_1102_RD480Neo2.htm

Hey, that's not a K8N! Still a Neo2, but..!

Turrican
11-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Try to put the booster in slot 1 and de memory´s in 3 and 4 slot

hey, thanks. your method worked. i put the ram in slot 3+4 and the booster in the 2nd. I can't put in the 1st slot because there is a condenser (?, i don't know the english word :D) in the way.

here's a pic

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/5706/k8nneo2vddr9ps.th.jpg (http://img475.imageshack.us/my.php?image=k8nneo2vddr9ps.jpg)

thx and cu Turrican

paulopais
11-04-2005, 10:30 AM
hey, thanks. your method worked. i put the ram in slot 3+4 and the booster in the 2nd. I can't put in the 1st slot because there is a condenser (?, i don't know the english word :D) in the way.

here's a pic

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/5706/k8nneo2vddr9ps.th.jpg (http://img475.imageshack.us/my.php?image=k8nneo2vddr9ps.jpg)

thx and cu Turrican

Sorry, my error, i want to say booster on second :p:

Special_K
11-04-2005, 12:01 PM
RAM in slot 1 & 2
booster in 4

thats what they advise on first page of this thread =]

Turrican
11-04-2005, 01:08 PM
RAM in slot 1 & 2
booster in 4

thats what they advise on first page of this thread =]

yeah, but my ram won't work in slot1+2 and i don't know why.

look at post number 3582, there is my prob described ;)

cu Turrican

msimax
11-04-2005, 04:53 PM
http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/detail_secondary/koo-52_3.jpg

im there dude

a_pint_of_milk
11-06-2005, 06:37 AM
OK, I recently upgraded my old rig and bought the K8N Neo2, a Venice 3200+ and 1 gig of corsair XMS3200C2PT. My old rig was as follows

Pentium 4 2.6c (@3200Mhz )
SP-94 cooler with 90mm Silent-X fan
2*256 OCZ PC4000 DualCh Gold (@500) 3-4-4-7
2*256 Geil PC4400 Ultra Plt (@500) 3-4-4-7
MSI 865pe Neo2-FISR (latest BIOS)
Galaxy 6800GT OC (370/1000) (78.01s)
Thermaltake xaserIII case
Liteon DVDRW
160gb Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb SATA
160gb Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb PATA
Windows XP Pro SP2
550w Q-Tec PSU

My new rig is

A64 Venice 3200+ (@2200MHz)
Akasa evo33 cooler ( 28c idle, 34c load for 8 hours)
2*512 Corsair XMS3200C2PT (@220Mhz 2.5-3-3-8) in slots 1&2
MSI K8N Neo2
Galaxy 6800GT OC (370/1000) (78.01s)
Thermaltake xaserIII case
Liteon DVDRW
160gb Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb SATA
160gb Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb PATA
Windows XP Pro SP2
550w Q-Tec PSU

The problem I have is this:
I benchmarked my OLD rig just before taking it apart and the results were as follows:

3dMark05 - 5233 3DMarks
3dMark05 CPU Score - 4284 CPUMarks
CS:Source Stress - 104.8 fps (avg of 3 runs)
(1280*960 4*AA 16*AA All other settings to high and reflect all)
Sandra ALU - 9939 MIPS
Sandra FPU/iSSE2 - 4057/7135 MIPS
Sandra MemBandwidth - 5338/5358 MB/s
I had doom3 installed, but lost my benchmark result. Playing the game, it
ran perfect on 1024*768 without ever stuttering (no AA, default AF)

The results for my NEW rig are:

3dMark05 - 3017 3DMarks
3dMark05 CPU Score - 741 CPUMarks
CS:Source Stress - 102.5 fps (avg of 3 runs)
(1280*960 4*AA 16*AA All other settings to high and reflect all)
Sandra ALU - 9245 MIPS
Sandra FPU/iSSE2 - 3464/4487 MIPS
Sandra MemBandwidth - 5821/5752 MB/s
Aquamark GFX - 6,672
Aqumark CPU - 3,812
Aquamark Overall - 35,584 ( ~ 70,000 on old system)

I quickly installed the doom3 demo and it is completely unplayable on the exact same settings I had before. (AA & AF are set to application controled in NVidia settings). I used the showFPS command in the console and it appears I average around 10-15fps. The highest it goes is around 30.

I have tried 3 different bios versions (1.8,1.9, 1.b) and have also tried different display drivers. I keep getting roughly the same results.

Does anyone have an idea why my 3dMark CPU score goes from 4284 -> 741 ? Thats about 17% of what it used to be. At first I thought it was a mistake but every run I do, it comes up the same. I've tried running the processor/memory at stock speeds and I just get an even worse result.

I'm just hoping somebody has a clue as to whats up with this.

a_pint_of_milk
11-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Problem solved. I had a problem before getting my surround system to work with this motherboard and ended up having to install the nforce4 drivers. Whatever happened I screwed up and installed more than just the audio driver from that. I uninstalled everything (all nforce, nvidia display and AC97 audio), reinstalled new versions and it is working fine now.

sideeffect
11-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Could be a few things a_pint_of_milk.

1) drivers. did you do a full clean install and what nforce drivers did you install?

2) There is a possible issue with nforce3 and nvidia cards. There can be throttling which will reduce the game performance.

To see if the card is throttling download Rivatuner from Guru 3D (http://www.guru3d.com/) click on hardware monitor leave it open and run a benchmark see if the cards clocks drop.

caRpetbomBer
11-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I need a little help. I have a msi neo 2 platinum with the newest bios.
I cant get the system to boot at 300htt. My ram is OCZ 1Gb PC4800 DDR EL Dual Channel Platinum Elite Edition. Using a nice amd 64 3000+ cpu with good stepping. CBBHD 0447RPMW
This is what i have tired.

6x300htt=1.8ghz default for the cpu.
1:1 on cpu and mem 2.5-4-4-10 T2 with 2.8volts

i can boot up at around 280fsb on the ram but not stable. :rolleyes:

Could it be the ram. :confused:

xxbiker
11-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Try sideeffects 1.8 mod bios
xxbiker

Goone
11-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Anyone using the TT Big typhoon for their MSI Neo2 board?

AeroSquid
11-08-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure what BIOS i should use. I'm running on 1.8 right now and when i upgraded it killed 2 of my sata ports, the 2 locked ones no less. If i try to boot to windows on those ports it gets as far as the xp screen and dies... you can just make out the xp screen. So i need a new one that fixes that problem. is 1.9b any good?

sideeffect
11-08-2005, 05:06 PM
AeroSquid You probably had a bad flash when you went to 1.8 theres nothing in the 1.8 bios to kill your sata.

1.9b is a beta. I wouldnt bother with the 1.9 series or 1.A. Move right to the 1.B official bios or the 1.C3 Beta

Make sure after you flash the new bios onto the pc you shutdown straight away then manually clear cmos with jumper also pull out power supply lead and let power drain from motherboard for 20 seconds or so.

AeroSquid
11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm going to try your 1.Cb3 tccd edition tomorrow night.

BoomerAS
11-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Hello,

i am still new at this forum, so hello to everybody ! :)
see my system in signature

CPU ist without HS
my Problem is the bad Vcore option in Bios
max usable VCore ist 1,5 V real and it`s not real stable :(

i am thinking about using Vcore Mod
the search here at the forum results with this picture VCore Mod (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17104)
looks very ease to do..
is someone here who did that mod ?
is there something to look at ?

nice greetings from germany
Boomer

flenser
11-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I have a frustrating problem here...

For some reason, my computer decided to gradually quit being stable at 1T command rate. I backed everything off to stock speeds and voltages, and even did a complete reformat/reinstall of windows, but the computer simply isn't stable at 1T command rate. I put my ballistix pc3200 to 2.5 3 3 8 timings and it still caused various errors in windows.

The problem started a few months ago, and has gradually gotten worse. Before I reformatted the hard drive thinking it was a windows problem, I was down to only 1-2 hours uptime before I started getting random web browser errors and having applications that would crash as soon as I tried to launch them. I even started getting BSOD crashes. This started after about 4 months of great stability and got to unusable after 2 months of not changing anything.

Backing it off to 2T cures the stability issues. I only discovered this after doing a bios reset and running for a few days before remembering that I had to change the command rate. As soon as I went back to 1T, the instability came back.

Any thoughts? The computer runs just fine otherwise, and I'm not sure I want to try something else that would kill it. I think I'm using the 1.8 bios.

Ballistix memory, winny cpu. I took out my audigy2 soundcard thinking that might help and the onboard sound works ok, but I need the audigy2 gameport back so I'll have to reinstall that. But I got the crashes with the soundcard removed too so the soundcard isn't the problem (I don't think).

Oh yes, the memory checks just fine in memcheck86 for 24 hours with command rate set to 1T, so I dunno why it passes there but windows flakes out with it set to 1T.

RafikR
11-10-2005, 04:46 PM
hi BoomerAS,

please forget for any mods Vcore, this is a problem with your CPU's not with mobo I have stable OC's in 1.45V with 5% in bios it's 2,600MHz and my cpu is all right, please try for beaginig OC your CPU and RAm state for 100MHz .

TiTaNiUm
11-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Evnin Gents, i have 2 questions..first, im using the 1B bios but when i set my CPU-V all the way up, 1.55+10% it only giving me 1.6v not 1.7, is this the way the board is or is there a fix? second, when i try and flash my bios using one of sideeffects bios, i get a file size error, im using winflash 1.76. the bios i want to use is 280kb, a RAR file, the stock bios is 512. is there something i can use through windows, i dont have a floppy driv right now, I need a little more V to get this 144 Opty stable at 3gig :)

Thanks

sideeffect
11-12-2005, 06:16 AM
flenser - Maybe your cpu is fading others have talked about cpus fading after a while if they have been overvolted or if they are running warm. I havnt personally experienced it though.

TiTaNiUm - The max vid on winchester and up cpus is 1.45 so setting 1.475 - 1.55 ignores you and just sets 1.45. A rar file is a compressed filetype like a zip you will need to decompress it using Winrar (http://www.rarlab.com/) then the bios size will be 512 KB and will flash ok. After you have flashed in winflash make sure you shutdown pc and manually clear cmos with the jumper pic located under the orange pci slot.

AeroSquid
11-12-2005, 07:39 AM
AeroSquid You probably had a bad flash when you went to 1.8 theres nothing in the 1.8 bios to kill your sata.

1.9b is a beta. I wouldnt bother with the 1.9 series or 1.A. Move right to the 1.B official bios or the 1.C3 Beta

Make sure after you flash the new bios onto the pc you shutdown straight away then manually clear cmos with jumper also pull out power supply lead and let power drain from motherboard for 20 seconds or so.

oh. my. god.

what a totally great BIOS =) Flashed with no problems, sata port is working like a charm and i hit 2.6 stable. I owe you a cookie :)

VaCreeper
11-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Howdy :D
I just setup a RAID 0 with my new Raptors, and my OC wen't straight to hell :confused: WTF? I was running fine 250x11 using the TCCD bios. Now it craps out at 230.
Any workarounds, or is this the price I pay for a RAID setup?
Any help will be greatly appriciated.

TY

Creeper

Turrican
11-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Howdy :D
I just setup a RAID 0 with my new Raptors, and my OC wen't straight to hell :confused: WTF? I was running fine 250x11 using the TCCD bios. Now it craps out at 230.
Any workarounds, or is this the price I pay for a RAID setup?
Any help will be greatly appriciated.

TY

Creeper

do you use the Sata-Ports 3+4?, because they are locked and Port 1+2 aren't locked.
So if you use 1+2 you get at 230 already a high pci/agp clock.

cu

TiTaNiUm
11-12-2005, 09:59 AM
TiTaNiUm - The max vid on winchester and up cpus is 1.45 so setting 1.475 - 1.55 ignores you and just sets 1.45. A rar file is a compressed filetype like a zip you will need to decompress it using Winrar (http://www.rarlab.com/) then the bios size will be 512 KB and will flash ok. After you have flashed in winflash make sure you shutdown pc and manually clear cmos with the jumper pic located under the orange pci slot.

Thx sideeffect, :cool:

VaCreeper
11-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Yup, I'm using 1 and 2. And you are saying that 230x11 is a good result?
Darn :mad: I was hoping I could get back to 2750Mhz.
I'll keep pushing it, but it sure seems to have hit the wall.
Thanx for the reply! Creeper

sinister1st
11-12-2005, 11:34 AM

Anyone? I would also like to know this?

el rolio
11-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Yup, I'm using 1 and 2. And you are saying that 230x11 is a good result?
Darn :mad: I was hoping I could get back to 2750Mhz.
I'll keep pushing it, but it sure seems to have hit the wall.
Thanx for the reply! Creeper

uhm so you are supposed to us ports 3+4, the ones near the gfx card. then you will be able to do what you want OC-wise. DONT USE ports 1+2

sideeffect
11-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Anyone? I would also like to know this?

I think CD1986 is ill ask him next time hes online. Im pretty sure we were talking about it but ill check :p:

VaCreeper
11-12-2005, 05:13 PM
OK, just slightly confused :banana:
I'll give that a try.

TY :D

Creeper

VaCreeper
11-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Fixed!! :woot:
TYVM :toast:

Creeper

flick
11-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Hey Sideeffect,

I was wondering if you could make a 1.c3 no temp mod. If not, that's cool. You 've been extremely helpful with no temp bios' up to this point. Anyways, thanks in advance if you do or don't.

sideeffect
11-13-2005, 05:53 AM
Yes ok ill make one. I was waiting for a 1.C final but MSI is taking ages with that.

Zeus...
11-13-2005, 07:30 AM
I was waiting for a 1.C final but MSI is taking ages with that.

and so unlike MSI ;)

ATT
11-13-2005, 09:10 AM
what's wrong here
lousy scores when both FSB 300 and DDR runing @ DDR600
is this Bios problem
i got 6500k score when doing 10X240 DDR @ 216 in bios HT 4X

this on X2 4400+ CPU @2400
DDR set @ 100MHZ in bios
FSB 300 HTT 3
8X300

flick
11-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Yes ok ill make one. I was waiting for a 1.C final but MSI is taking ages with that.

Thanks man. Really appreciate it. LOL, for some reason I have the feeling as soon as you post it, MSI will release 1.C final. Anyway, appreciate the big effort on your part. :woot:

sideeffect
11-13-2005, 12:58 PM
what's wrong here
lousy scores when both FSB 300 and DDR runing @ DDR600
is this Bios problem
i got 6500k score when doing 10X240 DDR @ 216 in bios HT 4X

this on X2 4400+ CPU @2400
DDR set @ 100MHZ in bios
FSB 300 HTT 3
8X300

Your ram isnt running at DDR600 in that picture its at 150 mhz so DDR300 so that score is about right.

koosjebram
11-13-2005, 01:22 PM
So errrrr,any new development how to get bh5 running a bit better??
Anyone.
I know it can be done i saw people in other posts with mem running well above 500 mhz.
b.t.w:I have a ddr-booster,tried all the way up to 3.7
max@1t about 230 no matter what timings
max@2t about 250 with 1.36mod bios
current bios is 1.bb3 SE

sideeffect
11-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey Sideeffect,

I was wondering if you could make a 1.c3 no temp mod. If not, that's cool. You 've been extremely helpful with no temp bios' up to this point. Anyways, thanks in advance if you do or don't.

Ok sry i took so long was out all day but here it is. No Temp 1.C3 (http://www.swjka.com/neo2/view_thread.php?fid=39&tid=84)

menlatin
11-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Has anyone noticed the capacitors, transistors and other chips to the left of the CPU getting EXTREMELY HOT while over clocking. My x2 3800 @ 2.72 @ 1.52v is making the caps, the transisors and this one (i assume voltage regulating) IC get realy really hot. I put heat sinks on the transistors and the hot IC, but the caps are still hot. Could i add a couple to spread the load a bit or would that be a bad idea? If i could, would they have to be the same kind? or could i slap a couple 4700/16v on there. What about adding some extra transitors as well?

ATT
11-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Your ram isnt running at DDR600 in that picture its at 150 mhz so DDR300 so that score is about right.

yes my bad i though 1:1 was when it was set to 100MHZ memory divider but turn out to be 200MHZ

for now i'm staying here 2585MHZ 11X235 HT4 /// Ram Divider=216 http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/question%203.PNG
well after some testing looks like my board doesn't like to run @ 1:1 300FSB 300 even with HT 3 but it does allow for ram to run close to DDR 600 speeds with HT4 but FSB has to be lower then 250 with HT3 is unstable.

you think voltage mods will help ? i could get another board but we are ill be limited to AGP solutions i will have jump to NF4 long ago damm PCI express :mad:

sad part this on water cooled system CPU//Video card//chipset i was expecting little more then this from MSI
oh well

flick
11-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks again Sideeffect. We all really appreciate it. :woot:

sideeffect
11-14-2005, 03:06 AM
ATT - Your ram is still running slow in that new picture. What ram is it what speed is it rated at?

Make yourself a signature. Then first thing to do is put the 200 memory divider on so that it stays 1:1 with the HTT and raise the HTT till you find its limit.

Then you use the 183 divider on the ram and raise more then the 166 then the 150 etc.

You talk about it like you expect your ram to reach DDR600 speeds even though in both those pictures its running at less than DDR400 with really slow timings also.

ATT
11-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC3200:2-2-2-5 PC4800:2.5-4-4-8

well about timings i wanted to see how far it clock first then i was going to test on memory timings

:D hehhehe really what scores should i be getting on DDR600 ah man feal so stuped here hahahaha i will do more testing after work today ill try what you said

msimax
11-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC3200:2-2-2-5 PC4800:2.5-4-4-8

well about timings i wanted to see how far it clock first then i was going to test on memory timings

:D hehhehe really what scores should i be getting on DDR600 ah man feal so stuped here hahahaha i will do more testing after work today ill try what you said

try using mem default timmings at 1t at 280x9 with 3X with the ram set at 2.50 volts and go into memtest and run test#5 and tell me how many errors u get

msimax
11-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok sry i took so long was out all day but here it is. No Temp 1.C3 (http://www.swjka.com/neo2/view_thread.php?fid=39&tid=84)

YOU da man :toast:

ATT
11-15-2005, 01:40 AM
try using mem default timmings at 1t at 280x9 with 3X with the ram set at 2.50 volts and go into memtest and run test#5 and tell me how many errors u get

run a 22 minute session it passed 20 times test # 5 Memory divider is set to 200MHZ for all 1:1
FSB 280-DDR560 2.5 4 4 8 T1
http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/FSB 280-DDR560 2.5 4 4 8 T1.PNG
FSB 280-DDR560 2.5 4 4 8 T2
http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/FSB 280-DDR560 2.5 4 4 8 T2.PNG

i finally hit both 300FSB and DDR600 on memory but scores are lower then my other post above :( FSB 300-DDR600 2.5 4 4 8 T2
with T1 it gets to the log-in screen when i press OK and it blue screens
http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/FSB 300-DDR600 2.5 4 4 8 T2.PNG

culex44
11-15-2005, 01:12 PM

yes I've got one. What do you want to know about it?

msimax
11-15-2005, 02:48 PM
So errrrr,any new development how to get bh5 running a bit better??
Anyone.
I know it can be done i saw people in other posts with mem running well above 500 mhz.
b.t.w:I have a ddr-booster,tried all the way up to 3.7
max@1t about 230 no matter what timings
max@2t about 250 with 1.36mod bios
current bios is 1.bb3 SE

in memtest does ur errors happen at 500mb upward

msimax
11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
ATT try 7-3-3-2.5

Aleister
11-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Sideeffect:

I am using the TCCD edition of your v1.C Mod bios. After getting 2 gigs of ram I decided it was time to try a new one, and it has worked great for me :)

This is what I am currently running at using it (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1109637#post1109637)

I just had a quick question about this bios, and I did not see any mention of it anywhere.

No matter what I select in the bios, my system always wants to do a slow memory count on boot. Is this a 'feature' of the bios? Or am I loosing my mind, and cannot see the option anywhere :) Thanks!

sideeffect
11-15-2005, 10:10 PM
No matter what I select in the bios, my system always wants to do a slow memory count on boot. Is this a 'feature' of the bios? Or am I loosing my mind, and cannot see the option anywhere :) Thanks!

Its the same in all Bios files after 1.8. Quick boot option doesnt work so the memory check is longer than pre 1.9.

Its a MSI fault and not indigenous to just my bios. Possible workaround is to enable Full screen boot logo as that seems to bypass the elongated memory check.

ATT
11-16-2005, 01:42 AM
well i think i hit a good balance between latency and MHZ/speed
2.5 3 3 5 1:1 9X278 HT 3 now of to memtest to check for stability ;)
http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/1.PNG

sorry for massive pics :D
if requested ill delete them

Rickster_64
11-16-2005, 05:59 AM
I have an Opteron 146 waiting for me at home, and I was wondering how many people have had good luck with SD cores on the Neo2. My venice works awesome and I hope that the same will go over with my Opteron. I am digging the 1mb cache and if its a 0540 chip it looks like most of them are doin 2.8-3ghz on air and with 1.4V or so.

koosjebram
11-16-2005, 08:43 AM
@msimax reply:in memtest does ur errors happen at 500mb upward

Yes i'm quite sure(not 100% will check)
If you'd like to know i tried all standard/modded bios 1.36/1.8/1.c/1.b
(pretty much every bios modded by the guys here at xtreme thanks b.t.w)
Also tried setting timings in a64 tweaker and then using divider.
Volts got up to 3.6/3.7 with not a single mhz clock higher.
Slots 1/2 booster in 4
Any advice??
(tested errors always high numbers in memtest5)

Nossie
11-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I have an Opteron 146 waiting for me at home, and I was wondering how many people have had good luck with SD cores on the Neo2. My venice works awesome and I hope that the same will go over with my Opteron. I am digging the 1mb cache and if its a 0540 chip it looks like most of them are doin 2.8-3ghz on air and with 1.4V or so.

my Opteron 146 0540 CABYE + msi k8n neo2 54g :

default voltage :
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/922/result16bk.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=result16bk.jpg)

with voltage +3.3% i can get stable 2900mhz. So this one does pretty good on my neo2

But one strange thing when i go higher then HTT300, multi 10x (3000mhz), i get a instant blue screen @ Windows when i run superpi or another stress test program, no matter what voltage i give. So im still testing to get this CPU over the 3ghz :)

Goone
11-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Culex44,
So it does fit the msi neo2, was looking to buy the TT Big typhoon but afraid won't fit.
Thanks

Lestat
11-16-2005, 10:42 AM
what BH5 are you actually running ?

just cuz its BH5 don't mean its a good set of ram you can actually have some bad ram.

put your HTT multi on Auto and try.
also try 2.5

If its the new stuff like the Mushkin or OCZ then be warned its not BH5 its UTT which is NOT BH5 that stuff is VERY sensative to voltages. and by going up to 3.7v you may have just killed the ram.

if your having issues getting above 250mhz then its either 3 things/.

1)
a really crappy cpu that cant handle that high of speed drop the cpu multi down 2 steps and then try
2)
really crappy ram... i mean that too like really crap ram you may want to think about RMA'ing it. If its the OCZ PC4000 VX rma it right now that ram is some serious crap ram and shame on ocz for releasing such crappy ram .20 v over and it will die...
the mushkin stuff is the same its very sensative VERY sensative and there are tons of people on the Mushkin forums complaining about the ram running good one day and the next its dead for no reason.
3)
you have one of the early rev's of the NEO2 boaard with the 250mhz bug and my friend there is NO fix for that RMA the board or junk it and go get another one or a dfi agp board.

no matter what BH5 ram you have 250mhz 2-2-2-5 you should NOT have to go over 3.4v 3.5v MAX for 250mhz if you have to go higher DONT all your gunna do is hurt something

Nossie
11-16-2005, 10:46 AM
the problem is that some bh-5 sticks just dont work fine with the neo2. my bh5's max = 218mhz 2-2-2-5 no matter what voltage and settings.

in the dfi ultra-d at my work they do 240 easy.

Lestat
11-16-2005, 11:05 AM
yeah but is that the same CPU, PSU and so on ?

the NEO2 was made long before the TCCD ram was infact BH5 was VERY popular when the NEO2 was made.
240 with BH5 is pretty :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty man, you got some bumb sticks there or your cpu at work cant handle the speed.
seriously 240 with bh5 is prety poopy.

the NEO2 handles BH5 just fine. It handles Mushkin Redline PC4000 and Corsair XMS oldschool bh5 just fine for me and my board was even an old one.

The board may be the issue id seriously look into getting a newer one or rma'ing the board

koosjebram
11-16-2005, 11:31 AM
????
2of the same problems mixed up????
I have geil ultra-x pc3200 utt or new bh5 as they like to call it
most people say it was tccd first and then bh5.
It just wont run.
Without booster it didn't even booted t'ill i set drivestrength to weak
I've read about 3 quarters of this thread and a lot of other forums
and i'm seeing 50/50 with same problems or running fine
NO SOLUTIONS YET!
Please help
(b.tw. is utt the same as bh-5 in the sense that it won't boot at cas3??)

RafikR
11-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Hello,
I have some different problem , I use right now 1c tccd SE mod bios, but this not important now.
I was stupied and I change the MAC adress on the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller in BIOS, sow now I have FB FF FF FF FF FB and card not work :(
It's possible back to the my old MAC or what can I do now to bring a live this card??
Please help :)

BR\
Rafał

culex44
11-16-2005, 01:27 PM
my Opteron 146 0540 CABYE + msi k8n neo2 54g :

default voltage :
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/922/result16bk.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=result16bk.jpg)

with voltage +3.3% i can get stable 2900mhz. So this one does pretty good on my neo2

But one strange thing when i go higher then HTT300, multi 10x (3000mhz), i get a instant blue screen @ Windows when i run superpi or another stress test program, no matter what voltage i give. So im still testing to get this CPU over the 3ghz :)

Which stepping is it exactly? 146 CABYE 0540 FPBW or other? I'm waiting for a 146 CABYE 0540 APMW and I don't find any oc of this stepping

Goone-> Big typhoon fit on this board but happy to have a wavemaster case with possibility to get out the board to install this enormous cpucooler. I process a blow hole in the panel cause the fancooler is near of the panel as you can see on this pictures:
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2317/dscf3254medium5nk.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf3254medium5nk.jpg)

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6271/dscf3249medium3cs.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf3249medium3cs.jpg)

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2631/dscf3250medium5cw.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf3250medium5cw.jpg)

markr
11-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Question.......... My OCZ Gold PC4400 had no problems with HTT over 300. Ever since I switched to OCZ VX and added the DDR booster my HTT is very limited, regaurdless of ram timings or divider. It will not post with HTT above 270ish. Any ideas? :confused:

Nossie
11-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Which stepping is it exactly? 146 CABYE 0540 FPBW or other? I'm waiting for a 146 CABYE 0540 APMW and I don't find any oc of this stepping

its a 146 CABYE 0540 FPMW

Zeus...
11-16-2005, 02:55 PM
The board may be the issue id seriously look into getting a newer one or rma'ing the board

get the same feeling here!

Just goy my 175 opty today - had a little try OC and no joy with less than 1.4V so waiting for the A8N32 (which I was planning to get anyway) and move onto the NF4 and give this mobo to my son.

syn.illusion
11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi! its my first post here
actually it is my first post in the forum.. sorry for my bad english.

well... I had a lot of question answered by this topic so far
first of all I want to thankyou guys for every information here :)

Im using the sideeffects modded bio 1.c for tccd cause I have 2x512Mb hyperX ulk2 memory and it looks pretty good. My Venice is not the best one for OC.
I got only 9x290@1.55v with a Zalman CNPS7000.

anyway.. the question is
I Have only a Raptor 74gb plugged on sata3 port.. and a DVD-R on IDE1.
every setting on the BIOS about Raid is disabled
But even so I got a screen where it appears "Nvidia IDE Raid BIOS 4.xx - looking for array..." (something like that)before loading the winXP.
This really bothers because it tooks about 10-15 seconds on this screen.. almost the same time I used to have to boot up all system on my old rig (s754)
I´ve tried to enable and disable every kind of settings but it didn´t work.

Does anyone here know what kind of silly mistake I am doing here?
Or maybe its a bug from sideeffects BIOS? or.. its a sideeffect from his BIOS? ehhe

Thank you every one who read this.. I hope you understand what I am trying to say
[]´s

Aleister
11-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Its the same in all Bios files after 1.8. Quick boot option doesnt work so the memory check is longer than pre 1.9.

Its a MSI fault and not indigenous to just my bios. Possible workaround is to enable Full screen boot logo as that seems to bypass the elongated memory check.

Thanks, enabling the full screen boot logo did the trick :)

sideeffect
11-16-2005, 06:08 PM
anyway.. the question is
I Have only a Raptor 74gb plugged on sata3 port.. and a DVD-R on IDE1.
every setting on the BIOS about Raid is disabled
But even so I got a screen where it appears "Nvidia IDE Raid BIOS 4.xx - looking for array..." (something like that)before loading the winXP.
This really bothers because it tooks about 10-15 seconds on this screen.. almost the same time I used to have to boot up all system on my old rig (s754)

If raid is really turned off then you shouldnt get that message its not a bug with my bios it might be a MSI/Raptor problem but you would need to get info from someone else with a raptor about that.

Special_K
11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Hello,
I have some different problem , I use right now 1c tccd SE mod bios, but this not important now.
I was stupied and I change the MAC adress on the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller in BIOS, sow now I have FB FF FF FF FF FB and card not work :(
It's possible back to the my old MAC or what can I do now to bring a live this card??
Please help :)

BR\
Rafał

this might work - enable onboard LAN, boot up Windows, and press START>RUN>CMD

now type "ipconfig /all" (without "")

look for the PHYSICAL ADDRESS

msimax
11-16-2005, 08:07 PM

can u make this bios with the tccd timmings thanx

flick
11-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have a memory recommendation for a 2x1 Gig stick setup that will do 270 1:1(or at least 260) for the Neo2 Platinum?

Thanks

sideeffect
11-17-2005, 02:12 PM
can u make this bios with the tccd timmings thanx

Here you go (http://www.swjka.com/neo2/biosfiles/1CNotempTCCD.rar)

msimax
11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks man

niaboc79
11-17-2005, 03:56 PM
i've a problem with my new ram on my msi. I've 2*512mo of MDT PC3200 2.5 3 3 8

I can run them on 240 2.5 3 2 5 with 2.7v in synchro with my venice 3000+

240*9 ram on 200Mhz in bios: prime 95 OK

But i want to run my CPU on 2700Mhz, so with 150 divider on bios:

300*9 ram on 150 in bios: no boot
300*9 ram on 133 in bios: boot + prime OK

If i boot on 200*9, ram on 200Mhz and then in Win i use a64 tweaker to use the 150 divider and then 300*9 with clockgen it's OK but prime failed!!!

What can i do?

flick
11-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have a memory recommendation for a 2x1 Gig stick setup that will do 270 1:1(or at least 260) for the Neo2 Platinum?

Thanks

Nevermind. I just answered my own question. Looks like it's gonna be the mushkin xp4000 2gb kit that just came out. I've seen 265 @2.5-3-2-5 1T timings for it at 2.8V (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Mushkin/XP4000-2GB/2). Definetly looks like a winner. I think they have ce-6 chips, but I'm not sure. Anyways.... :toast:

ATT
11-18-2005, 05:14 AM
what you do when it's prime stable 24 hours///when doing restart it works fine
but when you shutdown your PC it won't turn back on unless you clear CMOS.

any fix to this ?

sideeffect
11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
what you do when it's prime stable 24 hours///when doing restart it works fine
but when you shutdown your PC it won't turn back on unless you clear CMOS.

any fix to this ?
Its cold boot problem. Because your HTT is high so it wont cold boot and because the newer bios's dont have safe mode it wont boot till cmos is cleared. There is no fix only thing to do really is lower HTT before you turn off pc. Or Overclock in windows.

You can make yourself a nforce3 clockgen startup profile that will add the last of your overclock on windows boot so set bios to something like 250 with all the timings you want then have clockgen setting 280 or 290 HTT on windows boot.

D3kMatrix
11-18-2005, 09:56 PM
You can make yourself a nforce3 clockgen startup profile that will add the last of your overclock on windows boot so set bios to something like 250 with all the timings you want then have clockgen setting 280 or 290 HTT on windows boot.

Hey thats not a bad idea.

I might have to try that with my 312x9 OC that is prime stable not won't cold boot :P
Might be able to get some more RAM bandwidth yet.

And it seems I need to update my BIOS page =)

msimax
11-20-2005, 11:09 AM
hey sideeffect is there a way to change tref values when u mod a bios???

sideeffect
11-20-2005, 02:01 PM
hey sideeffect is there a way to change tref values when u mod a bios???

Yes i think so if you have a bios saviour or spare chip you want to try ? I can also force Read Preamble, Dynamic idle cycle counter, DQS Slew Value, DQS Slew Control and DLL forcing.

sideeffect
11-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Side Effect, I am stuck:

That is the most I can get out of this on 1.725v. I am using BIOS v1.A and I like it...It allows me a slightly higher OC than any other BIOSs I have tried. The voltage is as high as I can get using Core Center...Is there any way this BIOS can be modded to give one more bump in vcore. I didn't want to use the older modded BIOS because I had issues with it, even though it has the extra vcore I need.

Dont really know how to help you there. The 1.36 bios wont help you either because your at the maximum vcore using corecenter which is the same as the 1.36 bios give or take.

Also you have a great overclock there and any number of things could be holding you back now like HTT or the ram or the cpu im not sure how any more vcore is going to help you really. If you do need the extra vcore though your going to have to do a hardware mod :p:

sideeffect
11-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Well i think super pi really likes tight timings so if you do drop the bandwidth but use 2.5-2-2 you might get a faster super pi score but then it wouldnt be so fast for games.

- On a side note i just took off the northbridge heatsink/fan while reinstalling my motherboard and omg it has the smallest amount of thermal grease i have ever seen ever it barely even qualifies. Just a tiny amount in the center so I fixed that going to see if it helps my overclock at all.

sideeffect
11-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Im pretty sure the info is in here sillysider somewhere between page 1 and 148 :wiggle:

sinister1st
11-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Im pretty sure the info is in here sillysider somewhere between page 1 and 148 :wiggle:

:doh: :rotf: Ssiders trying to get 4ghtz :D nice oc by the way mate.

flick
11-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Here's the link (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41350&page=1&pp=25&highlight=k8n+neo2+vcore+mod) to all vmods to the neo2.
<p>
The guy that did the mod said "Vcore is controlled by ISL6559, so mod is easy, as usual. Connect Pin#10 and Pin#15 by 50k~25kOhm VR." Which is referring to the picture of the vmod on page 1 of this thread. You just have to count from the bottom up, which makes sense.

msimax
11-21-2005, 03:33 PM
i was going to sell this board but i decided to do the vmods vht and vdd with all voltage check points.. lets see if i can get this badboy up to 400htt :D

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4842/imga03351tz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

CD 1986
11-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I think after Christmas it's time for a new board...and processor....and memory...and graphics card...oh, time for a whole new system! :D

Might keep the Neo2 as a backup though...mod it a bit.

ridczak
11-22-2005, 04:23 AM
@msimax

What size is your NB radiator? I want to replace my original (& loud) with a passive one. No problems with overheating?

Special_K
11-22-2005, 05:40 AM
anybody know what the large FET next to the IDE connectors is (under the MSI logo in msimax's image)?

it gets damn hot!!!

K R thunking of heatsinking it - good or bad idea?

JasonDTM
11-22-2005, 05:46 AM
Mine is sinked, I havent noticed anything strange, or higher overclocks with it, just keeps it cooler.

JasonDTM
11-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Yes in the 10x multiplier i had this. In other multiplier it was ok. Maximum i managed was 330 x 9. It wouldnt cold boot at that level though. Some people have a tough time with 10 x multi others with 9 x on these new bios's. Depends on cpu maybe.

I'm alittle late to this, so the newer bios (I'm running an MSI posted beta atm...) its a PITA to clock high HTT with 10x and 9x Mutliplier? Would my 3700+ Possibly get me higher HTT, or yuo think it will be a no go?... My board is also a Taiwanese version :/

sideeffect
11-22-2005, 09:33 AM
anybody know what the large FET next to the IDE connectors is (under the MSI logo in msimax's image)?

it gets damn hot!!!

K R thunking of heatsinking it - good or bad idea?

I heatsinked that chip aswell because it got so hot. Didnt help with any overclock but motherboard still works so i guess its not a bad thing.

msimax
11-22-2005, 03:25 PM
@msimax

What size is your NB radiator? I want to replace my original (& loud) with a passive one. No problems with overheating?

got it off a old dfi lp2 i get temps of 10c with it

flick
11-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi,

I just received a OCZ DDR Booster. I have a neo2. I had powered turned off, of course, plugged all power in and connectors to booster and the pig to power supply. When I boot up, no leds except an initial flash when power is initially applied to the board. I have two sticks in the lower two slots and the booster in the top one. Only way it could fit. I tried taking the top stick out and moving the booster down one slot and no dice. Is there something I'm doing wrong and is there anyway I can measure voltage on the booster to see if it's still working even though I'm not seeing any led indication?

Thanks in advance.

ridczak
11-23-2005, 05:57 AM
@flick

Does your PSU provide -5V ? Mine previous Enermax 370W didn't and I had the same problem. Now with Tagan everything is OK.

flick
11-23-2005, 07:52 AM
@flick

Does your PSU provide -5V ? Mine previous Enermax 370W didn't and I had the same problem. Now with Tagan everything is OK.

Nope, thanks for the answer. Might have to change PSU's. In the mean time I found the measuring point and just measured until I got my desired voltage. Might even just keep the PSU since I can measure with a DMM, which is probably more accurate than the display anyway.

Thanks again ridczak for your help.

ridczak
11-23-2005, 08:55 AM
You're welcome. :) It should work with your PSU because as far as I know -5V is used only for a display.

Losphoron
11-23-2005, 03:30 PM
sideefect is the Com port disabled in 1.C3 beta..?
I wanted to put a serial cable on a cable modem and saw that my com port is not detected by Windows Xp..i tryed to install it mannually but i get Code 34 from windows troubleshooter..In bios there is not setting regarding Comport activation...Can anyone help me with this...This is the first time in my life when i have this problem with Comport..LOL

sideeffect
11-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Its only disabled by default as most people dont use it and i was saving IRQ's ;)

To enable it go into bios then Intergrated Peripherals then I/O device configuration.

Losphoron
11-24-2005, 05:20 AM
thx i didn't enter in that section :P..Thx for the tip..hehe

lght1
11-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi

I've had this Neo2 for almost a year without an issue. The configuration has not changed since initial installation a year ago.

Yesterday, I flashed the bios and now, cannot get to the Win splash screen when the Promise IDE card is installed. It works fine without the card in it.

I have tried moving the card around , but to no avail.

Only the older bioses work with this card. Is there a solution or a modded bios for this issue?

I would like to go with a new cpu, not that there is anything wrong with the winnie..just that i am tired of it.

Nossie
11-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi

I've had this Neo2 for almost a year without an issue. The configuration has not changed since initial installation a year ago.

Yesterday, I flashed the bios and now, cannot get to the Win splash screen when the Promise IDE card is installed. It works fine without the card in it.

Only the older bioses work with this card. Is there a solution or a modded bios for this issue?

I would like to go with a new cpu, not that there is anything wrong with the winnie..just that i am tired of it.

try disabling some things you dont use in the bios, like the sata ports, ide ports, sound, lan etc.

that works for me (i use a promise sata-raid card)

sideeffect
11-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi

Its a bios issue you have to use either a pre 1.9 bios or 1.C3 beta bios as that fixes the issue. I suggest 1.C3 beta.

Blinkme323
11-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I haven't visited these forums in ages. Anyway, I have a few questions. Here are my specs first:

MSI Neo2 Platinum
A64 3000+ Winchester
2x256mb pc3200 ram from a Dell Dimension
Asus 6800GT

I don't plan on uograding anything at this point. I really only play HL2 and BF2 anymore. Maybe 1gb ram down the line. However, I am just looking to pick up a little performance in BF2 for now.

I have a really weird setup. I spent countless hours configuring before. My main issues are with my cpu and memory. Here are my maxes:

CPU-220x9 @ 1.23v or 265x9 @ 1.53v
Memory-220 2.5-3-3-10 1T

However, I can't get anything to work. When I run a divider, it seems I have to keep my memory below 175 or it won't even boot. I settled on a 133 divider with a 265 HTT which gives me roughly 173mhz memory. I would really like to improve my loading times though.

Do you have any suggestions to try? Also, what bios should I run.

sideeffect
11-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Ram will help you most Blinkme323 512mb just isnt enough for battlefield 2. I'd go for some 2x1gb sticks if i were you.

Blinkme323
11-25-2005, 06:14 PM
I definately plan on picking up ram. I was looking at 2 Crucial 1gb sticks. I just don't want to do it right now because I am spending a lot of cash on an XBOX360 and am not a big pc gamer. I want to try and work with what I have for a little bit.

I picked up your modified 1.c3 bios sideeffect. Same thing, I can't boot in any dividers unless I am underclocking the ram by about 10%. The 133 divider doesn't seem too bad.

Right now I am running:

265 HTT
3x HT
9x CPU
133 divider
2-3-2-7 timings
1.51v cpu
2.7v ram

Its not that bad. If I can get the HTT up to around 270, it will give me a very good cpu speed for my processor, and my ram will be respectable if I can keep the timings low at 180mhz.

How much voltage should I give my Winni to be safe.

DuceGT
11-25-2005, 11:50 PM
hey fellow neo2'rs.. i've just spent 11 hours so far working on this and am going bananas...im in dire need of some help.. heres the deal

i've done raid setups before with never this much hassle...

my IDEs
160 seagate 7200.7
120 seagate 7200.7
160 maxtor
sony dvdrw

The problem..
I have the BIOS setup correctly I believe and the onboard RAID control shows that I have a total of 220ish in raid 0 with the two seagate drives. I realize im wasting 40gb, but thats no big deal. Partion Magic 7 on a bootable cd shows that I have the maxtor and a 220gb drive. However, when trying to install xp or ghosting my previous installion, it only shows my orginal 160 with all the files still there! nothing got deleted. right now im formating the brand new 120 in ntfs with windows and will try again, but im not sure if this is gunna help anything...i've tried doing all the f6 and i dont get a "wrong driver error" it just goes back to insert disk which makes me think that its just not finding any extra storage hardware... I've googled by brains out with no luck so far and considering that most people are using SATA raid.

thanks for any input ya can lend, and also a special thanks to sideeffect...your latest release rocks :) the 150 divider is the :banana::banana::banana::banana:!

DuceGT
11-26-2005, 01:56 PM
it turns out i missed some fine print...the manual says ide raid works for ata133 devices and both my seagates are ata100...i just wasted literally 20+ hours of work, 24 pack of mt dew, 2 packs of cigs... because i didnt RTFM!

sideeffect
11-26-2005, 05:01 PM
it turns out i missed some fine print...the manual says ide raid works for ata133 devices and both my seagates are ata100...i just wasted literally 20+ hours of work, 24 pack of mt dew, 2 packs of cigs... because i didnt RTFM!

LOL. Still just think of all the time you saved in the past from not reading the manual. Thats the way i look at it :p:

DuceGT
11-26-2005, 06:23 PM
lol, thank you very much sir for the laugh...but i still dont understand why'd they'd only allow ata133 to be raided...im gunna bust out my two old 20gb ata133 maxtors that use be in raid 0 and see how they do...i play counter strike competivley and when you record your game it lags as it writes constantly small files so im gunna start off with a 4k stripe!...just the game will be on the drives :)

flenser
11-27-2005, 09:34 AM
What's the lowest bios I can use to run a San Diego core? I think my winnie is flaking out so I just got a San Diego and that newegg 2x1 gig gskil special, but I want to use the "right" bios. I'm not using RAID and since I can't get stable at stock speeds right now, overclocking is not my priority. So what bios do I need just to get it running with the new cpu and mem?

DuceGT
11-28-2005, 07:33 AM
On-Board IDE/SATA
• An IDE controller on the nVIDIA nForce3 Ultra chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA133/100/66 operation modes.
- Can connect up to 4 IDE devices
• Supports 4 SATA ports. Transfer rate is up to 150MB/s
• NV RAID (Software)
• Supoprt up to 4 SATA & 4 ATA133 Hard drives
- RAID 0 or 1, 0+1, JBOD is supported
- RAID function work w/ATA133 + SATA H/D

Took that off MSI's website...so when it says the raid function works with ata133, I beleive that means it wouldnt work with ata100...I've never seen this on any controller before so could someone just point out the obvious to me. :)

Draxx
11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
It should work just fine with driver under ATA133 aswell.

Jolli
11-28-2005, 10:04 AM
any1 have so worst mobo that me. My mobo cannot run over 275mhz :( What i do wrong, or do i anything wrong?

D3kMatrix
11-28-2005, 09:33 PM
any1 have so worst mobo that me. My mobo cannot run over 275mhz :( What i do wrong, or do i anything wrong?

It that with a memory divider or 1:1?

Jolli
11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
It that with a memory divider or 1:1?
Nope, its 133, 150, 166 and 183 dividers :/

Rapier
11-30-2005, 08:07 AM

I've also got one of the MSI Neo2 Plat that is limited to about 280 FSB. I tried everything I can think of to get it higher, but its a no go. I'm figuring since it was one of the first generation of the NF3 250 Ultras (as they called it) and it just couldn't handle the high FSB.

I took the Opteron and dropped it into late model Neo2 that I put in my server box and it doesn't have any problems going over 300FSB (although it seems to hit a wall around 310 -315 FSB.)

For me it doesn't matter much anymore since I've sold my 1st gen. Neo2 and now have a shiny new Lanparty Ultra-D laying on my desk awaiting installation.

Just my $0.02. But I'll continue to read the thread just for curiosity

Special_K
11-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Jolli - your mobo is 10MHz better than this Neo2 =/

Jolli
12-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Jolli - your mobo is 10MHz better than this Neo2 =/
Okey, so some mobos are :banana::banana::banana::banana:stuff :( MY friend Asrock Dualsata 2 run over 300mhz 24/7, so i think that i buy that1, cause i dont want change my graphic-card.. Yup, Im poor studient :p:

Draxx
12-01-2005, 02:13 AM
My friends ASRock dual sata2 won't budge over 250Mhz.

Jolli
12-01-2005, 02:24 AM
My friends ASRock dual sata2 won't budge over 250Mhz.Okey, so i must buy NF4 mobo+net PCIe graphic-card, if i want run up 300MHz..

Special_K
12-01-2005, 10:07 AM
My friends ASRock dual sata2 won't budge over 250Mhz.

he needs to change his bios - the early ones were htt locked

tell him to get the OCWBeta1 and hit 400htt like this =]

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4360/400htt9ts.th.png (http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=400htt9ts.png)

anywhoo - back on topic, this mobo will boot at 280htt but is extremely unstable (even with loose RAM @ 2T). 265htt is rock solid and runs for days on end without problems, but 266htt is as stable as wind direction =/

this thread is so long now, that anything useful is lost (amongst useless posts like this one) so does anybody have any clues to get more out of it?

thx in advance

K

Jigga0o7
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I need help with my board, I can't get it to power up.

I've had this issue ever since the 24th of october. I try to turn on the computer and watch as it power ups for literally 1 second then shuts right off again. I thought the problem was my 3200+ venice, so I RMA'd that and recieved it back yesterday. I popped it in and still I can not get this thing to work. I've reset the CMOS, i've taken out the battery many many times, but I just can't get this thing to boot. Corrupt bios chip or something? I really don't know whats up. I'm almost ready to just buy a cheap mobo to hold me over for something. I just want to start to using my a64 rig again, very badly too.

sinister1st
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Jigga try unplugging the reset switch or unplug all except power button and hd led.

Jigga0o7
12-01-2005, 10:51 AM
I tried that, still no luck. Im starting to wish I would've listened to people who told me it was my board and not my cpu. I could've bought a cheapo board by now easily. Now i'll have to wait until payday to do anything and rma this thing if it's just straight up dead.

Krisse
12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Hello,

I am new to the neo2 board and I have some questions:

My sytem (sig) is 100% 3dmark, s&m benchmark and game (doom3 ut2k4) stable. @11*228 1.45V, DDR 228Mhz 3-4-4-8. 2.75V ( I can go higher)

But when I run superpi I get the "not exact in round" error message, I know this error refers to memory problems but I am sure my memory is not the issue. The same memory worked fine on my Epox 9nda3+ @250Mhz 3-4-4-8. 2.75V.

I use the 2 slots nearest to the cpu (slot1&2), bios 1.9 , when I use the newest bios on the msi website I cant get in to the bios.

So can someone help me out here? The same cpu and ram ran @11*250 rockstable on my epox so I thinks this is a bios problem.

thx in advance

apostglen46
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
MSI doesn't like your mems...............(in fact i think hates hynix chips)
Get TCCD or BH OR u can change your motherboard

sinister1st
12-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Hello,

I use the 2 slots nearest to the cpu (slot1&2), bios 1.9 , when I use the newest bios on the msi website I cant get in to the bios.

thx in advance

With the newest official bios 1.b you have to enable usb/kb storagage support and you will be able to get into bios or do a full shut down, restart will not let you in. You will need to read the long fun thread:) I know time consuming but it will help. Side Effect has good bios for 1.c (the latest beta wich is due for official release soon):toast:

jayjaya29
12-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey people, just got back into overclocking to get some more power out of my chip for upcoming gaming.

Okay, lets get to business, I have the new 1.B bios and I have a few questions on some of the new options.

Cell Menu
-DRAM drive strength - Normal or Weak? Default:Normal

Cell Menu --> DRAM Configuration
-Bottom of 32-bit[32:24] IO Should I leave it alone?
-S/W memory hole remapping - Enabled or Disabled? Default:Enabled

My current situation is a RAID 0 of 2 SATA drives, so do I enable this or not?
Integrated Peripherals --> IDE Devices Configuration
-SATA1/SATA2 DMA Transfer - Disabled or Enabled? Default: Disabled

If you could please tell me what values to select for these options, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys! :toast:

Krisse
12-03-2005, 04:25 AM
With the newest official bios 1.b you have to enable usb/kb storagage support and you will be able to get into bios or do a full shut down, restart will not let you in. You will need to read the long fun thread:) I know time consuming but it will help. Side Effect has good bios for 1.c (the latest beta wich is due for official release soon):toast:

But will that bios solve my memory issues?

koosjebram
12-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Well if anyone like to know
My geil ultra-x pc3200 utt/bh5 did 228 max on 3.4v(booster)
Almost every bios/relevant timing tried.
This was on 54g
On dfi sli-dr went to 255@3,2 without much tweaking
So better get tccd with this mobo to be sure

Krisse
12-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Well if anyone like to know
My geil ultra-x pc3200 utt/bh5 did 228 max on 3.4v(booster)
Almost every bios/relevant timing tried.
This was on 54g
On dfi sli-dr went to 255@3,2 without much tweaking
So better get tccd with this mobo to be sure

any suggestions?

I'm thinking of 2*1024 pc4000 tccd but I dont know wich brand

magica
12-03-2005, 06:54 PM
My new neo plat build on sideeffect 1 b tccd bios

10 x 250 fsb 3200 venice

memory 7 3 3 2.5 ocz platinum rev 2 tccd chips new newegg 11-30 they are back to the tccd chips now. stock times are 5222 , not bad previous owner claimed a 10 x 270 overclock with this brand of memory, might try someday but im happy with it now. nice 185 mem divider in here for that too. 185 x 270=499.50 x 2 =htt 999

high per dis
agg time dis
do dis
nv dis
spec dis
dram weak
cool dis
cpu 10
fsb 250
agp 67
volts 1.45 cpu plus 8 %
mem volts 2.7

dis fast write dis aggres timing no chipset option in this bios so im assuming its also dis.

other bios stuff mostly stock sideeffect 1 b tccd optimized bios

reason for 8% over cpu volt is not for stability but an experiment with game performance. will run memtest at 5% Also 1.45 is the limit on the cpu so setting above that is useless.

I can memtest no problem. Very fast set up much better than my old nforce 2 rig.

comments? I am interested in tighting memory timing but alot of people seem to run this memory along with the cpu overclock at around 7 3 3 2.5 , owell

Also i c there is a 1 c3 tccd edition bios , i wonder why , or if i should be useing it? thanks

Losphoron
12-04-2005, 04:10 AM
is NEO2 board discontinued because the shops have boards with bios 1.50 (from default) or don't have it all...

Krisse
12-04-2005, 04:26 AM
A little noobish question:

Those bios' from sideeffect are they flashable with the flashprograms that come with the offical msi bios'?

Because those official flashprograms have the name of bios you are going to flash. (e.g. AWFL833D)

Garrett
12-04-2005, 05:09 AM
You can flash them just fine :)
I use the AWFL833D.EXE :)

Krisse
12-04-2005, 05:22 AM
You can flash them just fine :)
I use the AWFL833D.EXE :)

thx m8

Losphoron
12-04-2005, 05:23 AM
use winflash

magica
12-04-2005, 08:20 AM
is NEO2 board discontinued because the shops have boards with bios 1.50 (from default) or don't have it all...

neo 2 is discontinued the platinum differs from this -f version in that the is thing minus dual network and one other thing i cant remember.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491

last month i could still buy one new but only at one place and it was expensive, I got mine slightly used from a member of another forum , it rocks!

Losphoron
12-07-2005, 03:18 AM
magica...Fx use nf3 simple chipset with 800FSB only and have only one LAN port at 10/100mbps...

wussupnext
12-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi, I'm a Neo2-F user and I have some problem.

I just can't overclock my X2 3800+ above 2,4ghz, unless I make some sacrifice, where I can achieve 2,5ghz max with memory divider 150.

First of all, here's my spec :

MSI K8N Neo2-F
Athlon X2 3800+ Manchester
Zalman CNPS 9500
1gb PC 3200 Kingston Value
Leadtek 6800 128 mb
Antec True Power 380w
80gb Barracuda SATA
30gb Maxtor IDE
13gb WD IDE (yeah that's even worse)
NEC DVD re-writer
Bios : Sideeffects 1.C Beta 3 Standard

Bios setting :

CPU ratio (multiplier) : 10x
HT Frequency : 4x
FSB : 240
Memory Divider : 166
CPU Vid : 1.40
CPU Voltage : +3,3%
AGP : 67
Memory Voltage : Auto
AGP Voltage : 1,55v

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/wussupnext/oc.jpg

I could need some helpt adjusting my timing as well as the best possible formula to overclock this damn cpu.

Draxx
12-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Give it more volts! Set it to 1.45 + 5% minimum.

wussupnext
12-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Update :

Doing what you said, I can easily achieve 2,6ghz. Still, I can't achieve 2,7ghz, and 2,65ghz is extremely instable.

Using Prime 95, Core 2 fails the test at approximatively 3 minutes, where Core 1 seems to go on forever.

Temperature goes up to 55-56C when both are full load, and drop to around 51C when core 2 fails.

Vcore is about 1,47-1,49V.

I hope I didn't fall on a crappy X2 :(

wussupnext
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I just set the voltage to 1.425 + 5% and went back to 2,55ghz.

Both cores are Prime stable for more than 2 hours. I'll let them go for 2 days to see if eveything is okay.

It just disturbs me that 1,45 + 5% at 3x HTT (785) isn't as stable as 1,425 + 5% at 4x HTT (1020) O_o

Draxx
12-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Try the next % overvolt. It will be fine upto 1.55/1.6v.

wussupnext
12-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Wouldn't that be a little too much ? The processor already max out at 57C using dual Prime 95 instance, and I don't have any Arctic Silver 5 below that CNPS 9500 :(

Finally, isn't 1,47-49 already alot for 2,55ghz ?

Nossie
12-10-2005, 05:31 AM
lol this is very strange, i think i found the problem why i couldnt get my Geil Bh5 over 218mhz 2-2-2-5 no matter what settings.

i removed my Creative Audigy 2 ZS from PCI slot 4, now look at my results @ 3.4 - 3.6v ( my booster drops heavily under load ;s, maby 0.1v - 0.2v )

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6559/42gc.th.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/my.php?image=42gc.jpg)

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5176/58um.th.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/my.php?image=58um.jpg)

:banana: :banana:

sideeffect
12-10-2005, 07:57 AM
That is strange because I just recently bought a Audigy 2 zs platinum pro and my overclock hasnt changed at all. I put mine in the slot above the orange one.

Nossie
12-10-2005, 08:56 AM
hmm this maby explains why some people cant get bh5 any higher then 215-225mhz and others get results like 250-265mhz.

With the Audigy installed (only had it in Slot 4) i cant even boot in Windows with 230 - 240mhz, and sometimes the pc crashes in the bios.

hypermood
12-10-2005, 12:52 PM
hmm this maby explains why some people cant get bh5 any higher then 215-225mhz and others get results like 250-265mhz.

With the Audigy installed (only had it in Slot 4) i cant even boot in Windows with 230 - 240mhz, and sometimes the pc crashes in the bios.
You said before that your booster drops under load. Maybe with the Audigy installed it's taking up just enough more juice to make things unstable?

danmoody
12-11-2005, 05:18 PM
i have this mobo a 3000+ venice an 2x512 g.skill 4400le and im having trouble with the ram in dual channel. with one stick in i can do 277fsb 2.5-3-3-7 1t 2.75v no problem but with both in i cant do any thing over 210fsb with cas 2.5 with out crashing and my max fsb @ 1T is 260fsb 3-4-4-8 , what can it be?

schumifer
12-11-2005, 06:23 PM
OK people, new msi user here so please be gentle.
I am going to be using me neo2 platinum along with an opteron 144 939 and a pair of UTT twinmos 256 a piece.
An agp albatron 6800 LE is going to help me see what i am doing.
So what do you think?

sideeffect
12-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Wouldn't that be a little too much ? The processor already max out at 57C using dual Prime 95 instance, and I don't have any Arctic Silver 5 below that CNPS 9500 :(

Finally, isn't 1,47-49 already alot for 2,55ghz ?

It just means you dont have a great x2 but you dont have a terrible one either. Most will do about 2.5 ghz. Your temperature is getting high though you should look into better cooling or stop where you are. You have good cooling at the moment so perhaps your cpus or at least one of them isnt making very good contact with the heatspreader.

The option there is to remove the a64 casing so the heatsink gets better contact although it can be dangerous to do that you need a steady hand and big cohonies.

sideeffect
12-12-2005, 04:05 AM
OK people, new msi user here so please be gentle.
I am going to be using me neo2 platinum along with an opteron 144 939 and a pair of UTT twinmos 256 a piece.
An agp albatron 6800 LE is going to help me see what i am doing.
So what do you think?

Sounds good but you could really do with 1gb of ram.

sideeffect
12-12-2005, 04:09 AM
i have this mobo a 3000+ venice an 2x512 g.skill 4400le and im having trouble with the ram in dual channel. with one stick in i can do 277fsb 2.5-3-3-7 1t 2.75v no problem but with both in i cant do any thing over 210fsb with cas 2.5 with out crashing and my max fsb @ 1T is 260fsb 3-4-4-8 , what can it be?

When you say 1 stick did you mean you tried both sticks individually and both did 277 at cas 2.5 or only one of them did that.

Also have you tried using slots 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2. Have you set dram drive strength to weak? Have you tried starting with really low volts like 2.6 volts. Some TCCD doesnt like volts. Have you tried lowering the cpu speed to see if its the memory controller? Some cpus wont run high dual channel memory speeds at high cpu overclocks.

schumifer
12-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Sounds good but you could really do with 1gb of ram.

Thank you very much for your reply sideefect. The 2X256 is budget related. Also i dont't play any games at this time so i won't be missing the giga

My truthfull question is . What would the best BIOS version be for this sum of hardware?
Thanks in advance

mid9XtremOC3r
12-12-2005, 07:26 PM

Nossie,
I have no Audigy installed on my slots, I have not been able to stretch the Mushkin lv 2 pc3200 beyond 220Mhz even with the RAM booster set @ 3.5v. So, what did you do to yours that allows you to get up to 250-265MHz? If you smoked something, please send me some:help:

I'm currently trying to maximing the Opty 165 on Neo2 Plat.

Thanks

Nossie
12-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Nossie,
I have no Audigy installed on my slots, I have not been able to stretch the Mushkin lv 2 pc3200 beyond 220Mhz even with the RAM booster set @ 3.5v. So, what did you do to yours that allows you to get up to 250-265MHz? If you smoked something, please send me some:help:

I'm currently trying to maximing the Opty 165 on Neo2 Plat.

Thanks

hmm, after some more research i found out that is wasnt caused by removing the audigy. Im still searching for the thing that caused this :(

before i had exact same as you. max 220mhz no matter what voltage(3.3 - 3.6v )
/settings/bios etc.

the settings i used to get this 250mhz =

- 1.c3 Ballistix Edition (;s) by Sideeffect
- HTT : 201
- HT : 3x
- Multi (Default, 10x)
- Mem frequency : 200
- Timings : 2-2-2-5-11-16 1T, drive strenght normal.
- Agp voltage : 1.55v
- Cpu voltage : +3.3%
- AGP frequency : 68mhz
- voltage : 3.6v on the booster (but under load it drops to 3.45v, currently my booster is getting modded for more stable voltage's)
- removed all my PCI cards ( only the SATA promise card was still inside )

And then all the way up to 250mhz in windows with clockgen.

koosjebram
12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Nice development Nossie.
Does it work when running a divider?

Nossie
12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Nice development Nossie.
Does it work when running a divider?

yes, on the screens on page 150 i used a divider.

but damn i need to know what caused this. The only things i changed since i last tried to overclock my ram is that i added a 3com gigabit network card ( disabled all onboard netword interfaces ), i swapped some PCI devices to diffrent slots etc, and maby i flashed this 1c3mod ballistix bios.

My ram is now behaving as normal BH5 ( scaling nice with voltage etc ). When i got my Modded booster i shall do some more testing. ( im also recieving some old bh-5 2x512mb Corsair XMS PC3500 Sticks this week )

koosjebram
12-13-2005, 01:45 PM
I would test if it has to do with the onboard networking
(could be since it can cause other hefty problems)
But my ddr-booster died on me.
Anoyone else?Might be far fetched but hey:) worth a try

sideeffect
12-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Someone with 1.C3 Beta go into bios and change shutdown cpu temperature from default of 75 degrees down to 70 degrees. See if it changes your cpu temperature.

danmoody
12-13-2005, 08:40 PM
both will do 277 2.5 3 3 7 bythemselves no problem. together they arent stable at 2.5 at all and will only do 250's with 3-4-4-8. i have tried 1&2 and 3&4 and lower voltage and this is my second cpu, i had a winchester and now this venice same deal

ridczak
12-14-2005, 03:12 AM
Hi everybody,

I want to buy one of these 2x1GB (I can only choose from them):

OCZ5002048ELGEGXT, Gold GX Edition, CL3 4-3-8 for €279
OCZ5002048ELGE, Gold Edition, CL3 4-4-8 for €289
OCZ4002048ELGEGXT, Gold GX Edition, CL2 3-3-8 for €274
OCZ4002048ELDCPC, Platinum EL, CL2 3-2-5 for €284

What would be the best for my rig? I want to replace Ultra's & move to 2GB

I suppose that PC4000 Gold & Gold GX should have the same ICs, namely UCCC (however I read on XS forums that now it can be Infineon which doesn't fit PC4000 Platinum requirements & is not the best overclocker). What about the rest and how do they overclock? I think abut speeds in range of at least 260MHz 1:1 CL3 or ~235MHz with divider and best CL2.5

Thanks for any fast help as I have to order them tomorrow or the day after.

Garrett
12-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Someone with 1.C3 Beta go into bios and change shutdown cpu temperature from default of 75 degrees down to 70 degrees. See if it changes your cpu temperature.
temp doesn't change... why?

Special_K
12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
...only things i changed since i last tried to overclock my ram is that i added a 3com gigabit network card ( disabled all onboard netword interfaces) ...

yup, disabling the onboard stuff helped K to overclock much higher FSB than when it was enabled

sideeffect
12-14-2005, 01:24 PM
temp doesn't change... why?

Temperature droped 10 degrees when i did it. Then after i shut down pc at night and restarted next day it was back to normal readings. Guess the sensor glitched. Was just wondering if it would do anything when other people changed that setting.

BobTheDinosaur
12-15-2005, 12:58 AM
ola!
i've been at varsity for the last few months had havn't had time to poke around in my pc or to check up on these forums, so when i logged into my account today i found a stockpile of requests for my CPU reference sheet that i put together a while ago and posted on this thread

so here it is for those who still want it, feel free to mod it as you need to

danmoody
12-15-2005, 11:42 AM
is it my ram or mobo?

TMM
12-15-2005, 06:37 PM
90% sure its CPU. Had the same problem with my 3200+ Winchester. No more problem on Opteron.

sinister1st
12-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Heres for you guys looking to get 2X 1GB sets. I will test more later but these mushkin redlines run 2-3-2-5 at stock. Memtest 86 for about 4hrs ALL tests No errors. Well see how for I can push this stuff. Its rated at 3-3-2-8 PC4000.

By the way it just barely fits under my xp-90:) with heat spreaders ON and without haveing to remove HS. X2 chips run alot smoother with 2 gigs:) so far I like them.

flenser
12-17-2005, 02:44 AM
Anyone else get an error about option bios during startup? It flashes up on the screen during bootup. I have the latest official MSI bios (1.b?), San Diego 3700, and 2x1 gig gskill ZX. It's all at stock.

Everything seems to work under windows and the error popped up right after I reflashed the bios to 1.b from 1.8 due to going from a flaky winnie and bad ballistix memory to the san diego cpu and gskill mem.

sideeffect
12-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Anyone else get an error about option bios during startup? It flashes up on the screen during bootup. I have the latest official MSI bios (1.b?), San Diego 3700, and 2x1 gig gskill ZX. It's all at stock.

Everything seems to work under windows and the error popped up right after I reflashed the bios to 1.b from 1.8 due to going from a flaky winnie and bad ballistix memory to the san diego cpu and gskill mem.

The latest bios is 1.C3 not 1.B. 1.C3 fixes that error.

Elvas
12-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm having problems on putting a redline xp4000 1Gb kit working on my Neo2..
I have a ddr booster

what slots do u suggest? I can't boot with them.. but if I swap them with an OEM kit the problem's gone!

flenser
12-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Is 1.C3 available from MSI? I thought that was a beta bios...

sideeffect
12-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Well they have all been beta bios's since 1.8 to be honest. Each is based on the last with a fix or added support. The 1.C3 is the same as 1.B except it fixes that issue which you have.

http://www.msi-korea.co.kr/program/support/support_dld_detail.php?part=1&serials=66&uid=K8N%20Neo2%20%ED%94%8C%EB%9E%98%ED%8B%B0%EB%84 %20%98&name=%EC%86%8C%EC%BC%93%20939%20(AMD%20K8)&chip_id=51

flenser
12-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Thx sideeffect. I found the winflash utility and flashed 1.C3 and it seems to work. I did get one anomaly after the flash, but I think it's cleared up. I went into bios setup on the first boot and set everything up including disabling RAID, but the nvidia raid still initialized and attempted to detect arrays. It still booted ok and I went back into bios after a reboot and make sure raid was off, and on the next boot it didn't try to detect raid so maybe that's just a one-time anomaly.

Do you know what the option rom error was all about? I couldn't read the msi site you sent me to due to non-US fonts and not knowing chinese...

schumifer
12-18-2005, 03:32 PM
If my opteron can take it (CABNE) can i hope for 4X256 (2Xtwinmoss Utt + 2 Kingston Hyper X) 1T at around 250? (if the dimms can do that of course)

Garrett
12-18-2005, 03:50 PM
If my opteron can take it (CABNE) can i hope for 4X256 (2Xtwinmoss Utt + 2 Kingston Hyper X) 1T at around 250? (if the dimms can do that of course)No... it won't work, you'd better get 2x512 VX or Redline or whatever does 260~270 @ 2-2-2

sinister1st
12-18-2005, 07:09 PM
These 2x1gb mushkin are better than my 2x 512 gskill tccd

I love them with the 11 multi. Since my cpu tops out at 2.7 these are perfect.:)

Dual spi 32 run, these ram are awesome I will test more later. 2.5-3-2-5 with 2.8v 246x11 1:1 :)

2.5-3-2-7 @2.75v also

This ram rocks:D 10 multi later

cpuz
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=57713

sideeffect
12-19-2005, 06:36 AM
They look fantastic sinister1st. Was thinking of getting some 1gb modules sometime and i will get these now. Really takes away the need for a newer motherboard because 1GB sticks are always going to be limited by the cpu memory controller rather than the HTT.

Is that 1T memory timing as well ?

sinister1st
12-19-2005, 11:39 AM
1T for sure SE. :) 2 slots closest to cpu.

These are great for a neo2 with tight timings.:) I love 2gb NO LAG WHATSOEVER WITH ANYTHING. I got mine from new egg best 300 bucks I ever spent. The gskill 2gb will do High HT but I dont think they can do tight timings I was looking at them also but I went with these. The ocz eb should be the same as the mushkin but you cant find them anywhere.

Ill test the 10 multi later on today if I have time.

sinister1st
12-19-2005, 07:13 PM
update 3-3-2-8 270x10 1:1 1t Dual spi stable

cpu z http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=57889

paulopais
12-20-2005, 03:31 AM
I need your help.. my neo2 with my winchester 3200+ and subzero temps don´t work very good, it´s normal?? my winchester with stockcooler and voltage default do 2600mhz +/- with -30 degrees don´t work default, then i put 1,65vcore and work, but only 2850mhz, i do better with stockcooler.. when i put 1,65 vcore my cpu temp its -15 with full load .. and i have to use always mems divisors.. i have patriot xblk and don´t run over 215mhz :mad:

TMM
12-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Sounds like coldbug.

Jeradin
12-21-2005, 09:28 AM
I read through part of the thread, but couldnt make it through 140ish pages...

I have the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard and love it, I used CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) in it, and wanted to upgrade to 2 gigs.. I bought a CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200).

I went and put it in my computer and it only registered as having 1.5gigs of ram.. I moved the all 3 around to ever slot, every possible order and all it would do is sometimes drop it to .5gig, or 1gig or 1.5gig but never 2 gigs of ram. I also tested each bit of ram solo and all read as what they are meant to be.

Does anyone know how to solve this? I did read that solt 3-4 are buggy on this board.. is there a patch or am I screwed?

Thanks for any help,

Dale Jacobs

sideeffect
12-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Well this is a thread for Neo 2 not Neo 4 so im not sure how much help you will recieve here.

The problem is that you are using 2 x 512 sticks and 1x1 gb sticks in a dual channel board. This isnt recommended. You really need to sell the 2x512mb sticks and buy another 1gb stick for 2gb to work properly. It also may work if the 1gb stick is double sided and the 2 x 512mb sticks are single sided but it doesnt sound like you have that.

Have you tried enabling software and hardware remapping though in ram options that might help probably wont though.

Because the motherboard is dual channel you really want to run in dual channel mode for best performance single channel is just a waste of time as your effectively at half the speed. Most people will also recommend that you use same size and same manufacturerd modules. Even to go as far as the same batch, that is why dual channel kits are sold in the first place because they are guaranteed to work together.

TMM
12-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Athlon64's don't like 3 sticks, period. You either run 1gb + 512mb in single channel, 2x512mb in dual channel, or purchase another 1gb stick and run 2x1gb in dual channel and ditch the 512mb sticks.

maxxedout
12-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Ive been away from the OC scene for sometime now. I have a athlon 64 3000 Winchester, 90nm, MSI K8N Neo2-939, Crucial Ballistix PC4000 BL6464Z505.16TG CL2.4, 1T, Trcd 4 ,Tras 8, Trp 4, 2.8 V. At the moment i have OC'ed at 2.25Ghz Mem divider 200, FSB 250, Multiplier 9. Water cooled. I know this CPU will do allot more.

My question is, is the modded bios (1.cballistix.rar) 70251C3B.BIN for this type of ram or is it for the Ballistix tracer? What im trying to achive is a stable OC at 2.5GHz with memory divider of 183, FSB 278. So Is it worth flashing with this bios with my current ram?

sideeffect, posted this information and it improved memory bandwith
505 sticks set cas 2.5 trp 3 trcd 3 tras 8 2.7 volts, 250 htt 1:1.
505 sticks limit at about 260mhz but at 2.5. Cas 3 doesnt help.

TMM
12-24-2005, 06:01 AM
Z505 and Tracer are exactly the same other then the lights on the tracer afaik...

sideeffect
12-25-2005, 03:51 AM
Hi guys Happy christmas http://www.swjka.com/forum10/images/smiles/santa_smiley.gif

ChronoDog
12-26-2005, 02:39 AM
I was just wondering, sorry if this was mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, but how come that with BIOS version 1.8 the Neo2 can manage 350+ FSB (atleast in my case), yet with anything after 1.8 it can't POST even at 300..?

Is it just a higher NB voltage, or something else? Thanks :)

Oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas:exclaim: