PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL MSI K8N Neo2-939 tips and tricks guide thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

D3kMatrix
09-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Added 5 New BIOS's to the page:

v1.B4 Beta
v1.B4 Beta XMOD by Murdok & Sideeffect?
v1.B4 Beta XXMOD by Murdok & Sideeffect?
v1.B4 Beta MOD by Sideeffect
v1.B4 Beta MOD by Syar

Lestat
09-05-2005, 02:02 PM
raillex -

no not NF3 ... NF4 if you wanna do 300mhz 1T 1:1 then you wont do it on a NF3 board or if you do its rare very rare.
the DFI nforce 4 boards are the only ones that do that and infact if you look at gskills website they recommend that ram and the LA stuff for high HTT on a DFI NForce 4 ONLY!
If you want to go to the MSI NF4 do it but be aware there are rumblings that the boards hates the new cpu's. might wanna check the MSI forum.

Matrix -

links for new bios's are dead, i assume that it just takes a little whie for the host to update ?

D3kMatrix
09-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Matrix -

links for new bios's are dead, i assume that it just takes a little whie for the host to update ?

LOL! It would probably be good if I actually uploaded files to the server wouldn't it :P

Fixed now, thx

Aardman
09-05-2005, 03:06 PM
I also have another question, how can I run two instances of prime95 to test both cpu's

Copy your installed Prime 95 folder into a new folder which you can call something like "Prime95copy"

Open Prime95 in the two Prime95 folders you now have. Then "control alt delete" to open the task manager. Go the the second tab in task manager -processes, you should find two instances of a process called prime95. Right click on the first, set affinity to "processor 0", Right click on the the second, set affinity to "processor 1. "

Then start the same tests on both copies. Good luck!

Lestat
09-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks matrix

unfortunately i refuse to flash to these new bios's until they fix the AGP Throttling issue.

has anyone been able to verify if the issue is still there with the 1.b4 bios ?

sideeffect
09-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Dont know yet Lestat. I still dont get it :p:

Nothing much has changed in 1.B4 so i think you probably will get the problem still.

Lestat
09-05-2005, 05:52 PM
it has to be a power issue related to the ATI/ Nvidia Speedup. or a MHZ issue where the NV/ATI speedup thinks the card is overclocked to far and throttles back.

i have never checked the official MSI version only your version.
Did you get any verification whether the official versions do it to or just yours.
I initially had mentioned not altering the ATI/NV speedup setting to see what it does. i doubt it would help cuz your just chnaging the defualt setting but anything is worth trying.

D3kMatrix
09-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I have the problem with both 1.A0 and 1.B3, haven’t tried 1.B4 yet tho. I don't see why it would be any different tho.

As soon I get my G.Skills back I'm going back to 1.90 Mod by Murdok, It seems to be the best for me so far.
The only reason I'm sticking with 1.B3 right now is to use the 150 divider on this BH-5.

Sideeffect, Is there anyway you can disable the option in the BIOS that controls its ability to throttle the GPU?
If you ask me the MB shouldn't be able to decide that anyway, should be up the nvidia drivers/thermal sensor on the GPU board.

Lestat
09-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Matrix and SE and Murdock

ill tell you right now and ask nicely

DUMP THAT STUPID XXMOD 1.b4 bios.

1)
cmos checksum error happens every single time
2)
you can not enter the bios all it does it go to a blinking cursor
3)
i have no idea what that ATA Security thing is but it looks like a 100% homebrew piece of crap and its doing all kinds of freaky crap.
4)
it says "Hit ctrl-s to enter setup" but guess what.. there is no setup and ctrl-s dont work.

LUCKILY i was able to hit F1 at the cmos checksum error and boot to a floppy and flash back to 1.8 MSI bios. (im doing that cuz when i rma this board i need to let them see that the board is :banana::banana::banana::banana:e even with the official msi bios.)

please remove that bios. i dont know what it is or who made it or whatever but get rid of it before someones board gets toasted from this goofy bios.

and if someone can add a "ATA Security ROM" which is useless i mean technically without knowing anything about it all it should do is password the drives for security or encrypt the data, and frankly unless your in a high security infastructure, thats pretty lame and useless and uses needed resources.
opps i was gunna say if someone can add a security rom the by gawd someone can add Memtest into the bios and make it a boot option. like Hit CTRL F2 for memtest
its a 4 meg rom chip not all 4 megs are being used. its only a 512k rom which of course if compressed yes but you obviously added a security rom so add memtest instead ;)

Lestat
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
well i do believe the throttling is gone.
but performance is suffering for some reason.
i went from 6131 to 5883 in 3dmark '05 6800 Ultra @ 450/1120

D3kMatrix
09-05-2005, 08:12 PM
well i do believe the throttling is gone.
but performance is suffering for some reason.
i went from 6131 to 5883 in 3dmark '05 6800 Ultra @ 450/1120

What BIOS are u using? 1.B4 XMOD?
If so I'll test it out tomorrow after work and see if I take a performance hit, and if the throttling is gone.

sideeffect
09-06-2005, 01:09 AM
erm Xmod is nothing to do with me.....

My bios files are on my site. Xmod is the german MSI forum bios. I also think you misunderstand what im able to do to the bios files. I dont rewrite the AGP bus or anything if theres a problem with the agp in my mod bios theres a problem with the agp bus in all versions of the same bios.

Although there isnt a problem for me or most people so its a bit hard for me to diagnose. Out of 4 people i have heard about that have the issue 1 was able to fix it by disabling throttling and another was able to fix it by changing latency.

The other 2 which includes Lestat werent able to fix it. Everyone else i have asked about it has had no problem at all.

So is it a bios problem or a hardware configuration problem? I believe its a bit of both the bios is more selective about hardware and needs more configuration. I wish i got these issues so i could work out whats wrong.

Lestat
09-06-2005, 05:30 AM
wait a minute

SE how are you disabling throttling ? you mean with RivaTuner or via a setting in one of your bios's ?
and yes its near impossible to fix something that doesnt happen to you. so tons of respect to you for even trying to fix it :toast:

Matrix -

I am using the 1.B4 By Syar. i believe all he did was show the hidden items.

Lestat
09-06-2005, 08:50 AM
maybe its just me but im seeing alot of undervoltage with the 1.B4 on the vcore.
havent tested vdimm yet

sideeffect
09-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Just you.

Fairydust
09-06-2005, 09:49 AM
yep just you.

Lestat
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
hhmm figures
oh well my Ultra-d comes on thursday
im gunna take this board out and poke some hole's in it with the ol ladies .38 since i sold my S&W 9mm

Dr.Leary
09-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Suddenly I can´t get my Redlines to boot. If I disconnect the booster and use my Corsair XLPT Tccd it works great. Then after a while I turn it of, and put the booster and Redlines back again. Now the Redlines work great again, I can run memtest @260Mhz without failing. Overnight I turn the computer off. Next morning I can´t boot again. Whats going on?

Lestat
09-06-2005, 12:44 PM
ram is toast
mobo is :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty when you run high volts with a booster

head over to Mushkin's forum you'll see tons of people saying this then their redline dies completely

it runs fine for a while then if you power off it just beeps or wont boot.
ok then you pull the ram out and let it sit overnight or a few days then it works again.
this cycle keeps going until the ram total dies

do some testing but its possible the ram is dieing.
my neo2 did the same thing to some redline. the neo2 is only rated for 3.4v with the booster if you didnt know. So it may harm things to run higher voltages.

try the ram in another system if possible

Dr.Leary
09-06-2005, 01:20 PM
But as long as I keep it at 3.4v they should survive, don´t you think!?

D3kMatrix
09-06-2005, 02:46 PM
erm Xmod is nothing to do with me.....

My bios files are on my site. Xmod is the german MSI forum bios. I also think you misunderstand what im able to do to the bios files. I dont rewrite the AGP bus or anything if theres a problem with the agp in my mod bios theres a problem with the agp bus in all versions of the same bios.

I guess Murdok figured out how the do the dividers by him self? Because for the first XMOD BIOS he did he had u add the dividers first correct?
I just figured he did the same thing this time so I added ur name, I'll fix that.

And I know u don't normally do anything with the AGP, but was wondering if u could.

And Riva tuner and the AGP lat are no help in stopping my 6800GT from trottling.

Lestat
09-06-2005, 03:46 PM
But as long as I keep it at 3.4v they should survive, don´t you think!?

well ... if you look at the ram 3.4v is only rated for 250mhz. and to go higher you need more volts especially on this mobo.

but thats not the point. the point is every post i have seen where this starts happening its cuz the ram is dieing. nothing will fix it now. so watch it carefully.
I know with mine once it started beeping it was done.. nothing worked.... the ram wouldnt even boot at stock 200mhz WITHOUT the booster. which it will do normally.

waiho2k1
09-06-2005, 06:18 PM
well ... if you look at the ram 3.4v is only rated for 250mhz. and to go higher you need more volts especially on this mobo.

but thats not the point. the point is every post i have seen where this starts happening its cuz the ram is dieing. nothing will fix it now. so watch it carefully.
I know with mine once it started beeping it was done.. nothing worked.... the ram wouldnt even boot at stock 200mhz WITHOUT the booster. which it will do normally.
Yup I have 2 pairs of BH-5 which behaves like this after using the booster to boost the vdimm to 3.5V+, after 1 or 2 days, they couldn't boot at the HTT before and they needed 3.2V to boot at default settings (200MHz 2-2-2-5). Strangely I put it in my friend's DFI NF4, I can reach 250MHz+ again....

msimax
09-06-2005, 08:34 PM
my dead readline stick lives again

msimax
09-06-2005, 08:51 PM
is ddr500 at 2-3-3-7 good from a tccd stand point or is it average

D3kMatrix
09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
is ddr500 at 2-3-3-7 good from a tccd stand point or is it average

CAS 2? not CAS 2.5?

If so thats REALLY good, My G.Skill LE's wont break 215MHz @ CAS 2

Tho at 2.5-3-3-7 DDR550+ is average.

shmaa
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
wow 112 pages.. I'm sure this is somewhere in this mess.. but what is about the norm for HTT out of this board?

I'm running 295 right now.. not sure if it's stable... asking too much of this board?

sideeffect
09-07-2005, 12:25 AM
I guess Murdok figured out how the do the dividers by him self? Because for the first XMOD BIOS he did he had u add the dividers first correct?
I just figured he did the same thing this time so I added ur name, I'll fix that.

And I know u don't normally do anything with the AGP, but was wondering if u could.

And Riva tuner and the AGP lat are no help in stopping my 6800GT from trottling.

Yes I only changed the first xmod for him now he does it himself so its his bios. Better to remove my name so i dont get complaints about his bios. :p:

Its possible to replace the vga rom i could try and put the vga rom from 1.8 in the 1.B bios.

Lestat
09-07-2005, 05:41 AM
wow 112 pages.. I'm sure this is somewhere in this mess.. but what is about the norm for HTT out of this board?

I'm running 295 right now.. not sure if it's stable... asking too much of this board?

its tough to say what the average is. but 295 is a great setting guy.

what are you running your cpu at ? and is 295 HTT 1:1 ? meaning your ram is also running 295 ?

my board has a max stable HTT of around 360~365 but i can boot into windows at 370 and do SOME benching.
but thats not 1:1 thats running my memory on a divider and the cpu is running 7x i believe.

so if your running 295 1:1 thats VERY good

Sonic9
09-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Yes, I havn't see anyone with 295 sync, or 280 syn stable with a venice ... and finally I wait my dfi nf4 now ...

Good continuation on this mysterious neo2 ;)

++

shmaa
09-07-2005, 11:02 AM
its tough to say what the average is. but 295 is a great setting guy.

what are you running your cpu at ? and is 295 HTT 1:1 ? meaning your ram is also running 295 ?

my board has a max stable HTT of around 360~365 but i can boot into windows at 370 and do SOME benching.
but thats not 1:1 thats running my memory on a divider and the cpu is running 7x i believe.

so if your running 295 1:1 thats VERY good

I have some pretty crappy mem atm... stuff I used in my old K7... so it's on a divider.

I have a pretty bum chip too... most I can get it D2OL stable at is around 2.55ghz at 1.6+ V on a XP90-C.... :(

Lestat
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
woot woot the Ultra-D is here and tommorrow my 6800 GT PCI-E arrives.
ill be a busy boy this weekend. i doubt ill walk outside for anything lol.

sideeffect
09-07-2005, 01:42 PM
10 - 1 you think its crap and moan about it by sunday :p:

Lestat
09-07-2005, 05:16 PM
hey what are you saying ?

if this board is crap then i am getting my money back and ill finally rma my neo2 and then give it to the ol lady and ill stay on my nice lappy for god knows how long

this is my last effort for a long time to get a good working system.
if it dont work then im done and taking a vacation from my desktop for a while

msimax
09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
hey lestat was the redline that died closest to the booster.
the reason i ask is because any time i put my dead stick in and it works if i bend it a certain way it starts beeping on post. my theory is while i was running it at 3.7 plus that
heat from the booster it may loosened something on the stick . no lie i just started banging the stick on my desk and it boot no prob. test no errors, i wish i hadnt took heatspreader off no rma *note* redline uses special stickers that say void when remove if u do want to removed them use a blowdryer and peel slowly

Lestat
09-07-2005, 06:09 PM
no actually it was the one closest to the cpu that went first.

i never went above 3.6 on my redline. and that was only for a short time.
too bad too cuz the guy who had it before me ran it at 1.5-2-2-0 @ 265mhz @ 3.6v

alot of people had said that if you go to 1.5 with the redline it stablizes the ram somewhat at higher HTT so maybe check it out.

mine worked good for a few hours, or more like 1/2 an evening and then it started dieing on me.
Personally i say its a combination of the NEO2 and the Booster that kill the ram. or kill the ram slots. but i tried all ram slots and it was the same thing.

Its possible, sionce as i stated OCZ only rates the neo2 to 3.4v that we are hurting the mobo by pushing more into it and its actually killing the ram. but i doubt it im sure we would have heard about ons of people doing this.

i just think the UTT stuff like redline and ocz VX is so sensative that it dies easily

well im bumbed my video dont arrive till tommorrow... so im sitting with a system i cant use for an evening :(

Goone
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi guys, what is the best bios to use with SD 3700 and tccd ram need the extra voltage and 183 divider. thanks in advance

nfm
09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi guys, glad to be back to xtremes

Since I moved I didn't have net for nearly 3 months. We'll see what we'll be able to do with new bioses :toast:

D3kMatrix
09-08-2005, 05:43 PM
nice, WB :D

And no net for 3 months, ugh, that must of sucked.

sideeffect
09-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Welcome back NFM :cool:

Lestat
09-09-2005, 05:21 AM
woohoo the man himself!

nice to see your back NFM wow who's your ISP that they didnt have I-Net out to you.

and SE im loving my ultra-d so far but you said by sunday so we'll wait and see.

cpu really isnt much more stable and it definately dont overclock any higher but Corsair XMS old school bh-5 is running 265 2-2-2-5 @ 3.5v and i havent tried higher yet

i think im gunna find a little 3000 or 3200 winnie for the g/f and rma the neo2 and let her have that.
so ill still be around to b|tch and complain :D

sideeffect
09-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Im pleased that the cpu doesnt go any higher shows that the neo 2 doesnt have a problem with finding max cpu speeds or supplying a steady voltage etc.

Seems the 4 stage power setup that the dfi uses doesnt help cpu overclocking at all :p:

Draxx
09-09-2005, 09:42 AM
New BIOS on MSI.com

1.B, fixes USB 2 issue ;)

el rolio
09-09-2005, 10:03 AM
so guys, i want to talk to you bios builders to see if you can help me understand the issue with hte neo2 and mostly the vcore....
a lil backstory if ya dont mind: i got myself a storm kit and soem otehr stuff to watercool my machine, mostly for quietness. i been building it up in the kitchen away for my desk for like almost 2 weeks. so i figure use this time to burn in, and make sure all things are stable.. i was and chose to still run 250x10 as my 24/7 setup. never had any probs before but you know, fresh waterblock, fresh AS5, i figure some good burn in and stability checks would be nice, pus now i can know for sure im prime 24hr stable.

ok so first thing i think i noticed was obviously the whole "voltage that you select is not really the voltage you get" ok fine. i can live with that. so i have been using hte %'s. then i learn that even with that, you might not be gettin what you asked for evidenced by me using various combinations of 1.425, 1.45 and 1.475 with the 3.3%, 5% , 8.3% and 10%. tthen i hear i must select 1.55 and hten a % to get it set right. but what is right? what am i really ssupposed to be getting?
next issue is do i take what i see in cpuz, bios, everest, etc as what the actual vcore is? and the main question i have been tryin to wrap my head around is: though i kno winchester cpus have an issue with hitting a voltage wall around 1.6 and up and at about 2.6ghz or so blah blah, is there also a point where they are LESS stable with MORE volts at my speed of 2.5ghz? weird, but i dont unnderstand.

ps: tried out a few bioses last night from the links here etc currently running 180NFM(Rev.3).rar cuz its the newest modded bios that i downloaded that still allowed control over the nb fan. some of the super modded ones that were adding other mem dividers did not even have it possible making my nb fan run at full speed aka noisy....

if there is any newer bioses that 1. still allow control of hte nb fan, 2. have better or REAL vcore controls (assuming its not a direct mobo thing like the whole trcd issue with 2t blah) and 3. is a better bios for "oc'ing"

notes: most of the time the error i get is after a buncha hours (5 and up) and is usually a rounding error (expected blah but got blah). ram is running at 208 mhz which is acheived with 166 divider and is memtest stable 24hrs. and of course nothing is really getting very hot at all cuz its watercooled and im pretty sure my 120 mm fan runnin from the front of hte mobo to the back across the ram and mosfets is doing its job + they have heatsinks on em.

i know i said alot but i wnated to get the best help possible thanks for your time.

sideeffect
09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Yes none of the new bios files have fan control for the northbridge fan included. Its because the files after 1.8 are a new bios so it doesnt have the option yet.

Its best to use speedfan to monitor and change the values anyway because the motherboard is really bad at doing it. The lowest value is like 40 degrees. You can use speedfan to set more reasonble values like 25 or 30 degrees or just set a constant percentage. Plus it shows your cpu temp at all times in the toolbar which is always good.

And the voltage is spot on. Its not that it gives the wrong reading its that any voltage above 1.45 volts is ignored. So for example 1.45 +10 percent is the same as 1.55 + 10 percent because they are both really 1.45 + 10 percent. This is because the newer cpus have a max VID of 1.45 not like the old cores that had 1.55.

So anyone with a Winchester, venice or san diego should always set 1.45 and then the percentage.

Lestat
09-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Im pleased that the cpu doesnt go any higher shows that the neo 2 doesnt have a problem with finding max cpu speeds or supplying a steady voltage etc.

Seems the 4 stage power setup that the dfi uses doesnt help cpu overclocking at all :p:

well that dont mean anything its a crap cpu with a seriously crappy memory controller on it.
im very displeased at that cpu.

and the neo wouldnt go over 2.55 stable and i am back to 2.65ghz stable with the DFI so.. yes it IS a much much better unit.

twohype
09-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Has anyone seen the following error when booting with a raid 0 configuration:

[Warning: Have Option ROM can not be invoke (Vendor ID:10DEH, Device ID: 00DFH)]

After I flashed to the lastest bios I'm getting this error, windows boots just fine however. I think that it has something to do with the Nvidia Lan since if I disable it I don't the error but I'm using it for internet/lan connection so I need it on. Anyone got a better fix? thanks.

sideeffect
09-09-2005, 03:12 PM
:stick:
Yes ive noticed this error i have a possible fix to the problem which im planing to implement in my next bios if i can get it to work properly.

However MSI may fix it by then. But then the problem has exisited since the 1.9 bios came out so dont hold your breath waiting for MSI.

el rolio
09-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Yes none of the new bios files have fan control for the northbridge fan included. Its because the files after 1.8 are a new bios so it doesnt have the option yet.

Its best to use speedfan to monitor and change the values anyway because the motherboard is really bad at doing it. The lowest value is like 40 degrees. You can use speedfan to set more reasonble values like 25 or 30 degrees or just set a constant percentage. Plus it shows your cpu temp at all times in the toolbar which is always good.

And the voltage is spot on. Its not that it gives the wrong reading its that any voltage above 1.45 volts is ignored. So for example 1.45 +10 percent is the same as 1.55 + 10 percent because they are both really 1.45 + 10 percent. This is because the newer cpus have a max VID of 1.45 not like the old cores that had 1.55.

So anyone with a Winchester, venice or san diego should always set 1.45 and then the percentage.

mr sideeffect sir, this is precisely the single post end all be all answer i was lookin for all week to explain to me exactly WHAT the hell was going on with this mobo and cpu.

i am very happy and incidentally: last night i set the comp to prime blend test before bed, i might have mentioned this before, with the nfm 1.8 mod bios as it still had the nb fan control and just got home from work still priming which i can assume is about 19 hours so ima let it run.

if its alll the same to the mobo (or cpu?) i shouldnt have to change the vcore setting should i? i think its 1.55 + 5% thats looking to be a stable winner..... i gues only if im trying to get it to go stable with les voltage.

anyhoo i had ben using speedfan to do the control back when i was on nvsilencer, 120 mm case fans and xp-90, but ive turned it off now with the advent of my swiftech storm kit.

i guess the thing is i was never able to set the nb fan to any of the controls before cuz i do like the "control" speedfan gives and its lightweight on the cpu. so if i can figure out how to map the nb fan and sensor in speedfan i will. i guess in ever really DID explore it too much. it does take some configging tho. got a direction to point me to?

(ps: yea when the bios ramps down the nb, its very funny, it takes about a minute and its in 4 defined steps.... very silly, speedfan was much better with how it ramped fan speeds)

sideeffect, thanks again. now the question is, which bios would i use of hte newer ones? i experienced the lan error thing too and didnt like it, so not one of those, but would i use one of these lettered 1.X bioses? what are their strengths?

sideeffect
09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Speedfan controls the Temperatures of your cpu and nforce 3 chipset by using a target that you choose. It then varies the speed of the fans within the percentage that you also choose. Good percentage values are like 70 - 100 percent. This way when it starts to get hot it goes to 100 percent otherwise it will stay at 70 percent.

You must tick the boxes to allow automatic fan speeds. Its also better to turn the option off in bios so they dont interfear with each other although i think speedfan overides the bios. Heres some pics to help you. As you see i leave my Chipset at a constant 80 percent by having min and max values the same. This is because i dont like constant fan chages personally and it doesnt get to hot anyway.

The lan issue is in all the bios files after 1.8 im working on a fix for 1.B official mod so maybe wait for that bios.

Speedfan is good but one thing about it which you might notice from this picture is that it displays +3.3 and +12 volt rails wrongly. this is because it follows the standard winbond spec and the neo 2 doesnt. To get the correct +3.3 and +12 you need to use core center or the fantastic Systool (http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/) Speedfan measures the other voltages and temperatures just fine though so its not a big problem.

http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios//speedfan1.JPG

http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios//speedfan2.JPG

el rolio
09-09-2005, 05:49 PM
oh wow thanks for hte tips and pics, i shall go downlaod THAT version of speedfan and try and config it right. i think the way i did it first time was to compare temp readings from mbm and speefan in order to figure out what senser was what, but now i'lll do it from ya pics.

and yea i'lll just wait on that bios you are workin on....

sideeffect
09-09-2005, 09:33 PM
New bios files based on the 1.B official are available at my site. Made a Ballistix and TCCD edition for anyone whos interested.

Removed the 1.B betas.

D3kMatrix
09-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Very nice SE

I'm going to Flash to 1.B Standard in a few minutes...

BTW do you still plan on doing a version with the VGA ROM from 1.8?
The 1.X BIOS's are not usable for me in gaming.

Also, updated my page, Added 4 new BIOS's

1.B Offical
1.B Standard Edition MOD by Sideeffect
1.B Ballistix Edition MOD by Sideeffect
1.B TCCD Edition MOD by Sideeffect

boygenius
09-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Hi there SE, just want to thank you for your efforts in modding this mobo's BIOSes. Ther are far more stable and overclocker friendly compared to the official ones. Keep it up dude.

ElAguila
09-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the work on the bioses. I went ahead and took the plunge and got a dfi nf4 ultra d board.

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Seems everyone is getting these DFI nforce 4 mobos :slap:

If i was buying now i wouldnt. Id get the Sapphire PURE Innovation Gruper Radeon Xpress looks wicked.

ElAguila
09-10-2005, 08:33 AM
The one thing that helps me a lot with the dfi boards are all of the memory settings that are available to tweak. If you have memory that likes specific settings that is a good thing. I will keep the msi board for a second system when I get the cash to finish building it.

Lestat
09-10-2005, 09:36 AM
http://www.techpowerup.com/printreview.php?id=/Sapphire/Gruper

wow and its not even the final version of the board and with a bios thats lacking some options..

this board seems to be pretty wicked

price point is pretty high though

Millyons
09-10-2005, 09:41 AM
How acurate is Neo2s CPU temp monitoring, i got a E6 venice and with XP90 and a good fan its ideling at 40c and goes to 51c on load and thats stock CPU ant 1.35v............can that be possible.....im SURE that the HSF is on good......with same cooler in the same case on the epox nf3 newcastle cpu at 1.7v was idle around 30c and load 40ish.............this cant be right on the neo2 E6 are suppose to be really cool.

ps: im just testing OC and slots 3 and 4 seem better for me with OCZ Gold (BH-5) 2x512

Lestat
09-10-2005, 09:46 AM
that depends on which bios you have guy some bios's have a temp bug and some dont.
the 1.b series of bios the temps are accurate
the 1.36 and 1.8 bios the temps are around 5-7 deg too high.

Millyons
09-10-2005, 09:56 AM
thanks....i got one of the 1.A betas ill test the 1.B later

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 10:12 AM
The 1.8 is accurate too i find. The 1.36 is the one that is wrong. I think they fixed the temp problem in the 1.7 bios. So any before that is wrong. The 1.8 1.9 1.A and 1.B all give the same results and they seem very accurate.

Your chip is running warm for that cooling but that doesnt mean that the sensor is reading wrong. Often some of these chips run a lot hotter than others. Its to do with how well the casing is aplied. Could also be that the xp - 90 isnt seated quite right.

el rolio
09-10-2005, 10:19 AM
ps: im just testing OC and slots 3 and 4 seem better for me with OCZ Gold (BH-5) 2x512

hmm, i got that ram too, if you sure it works better in them slots let me know i wouldn't mind moving them there for more spacing etc

Millyons
09-10-2005, 10:28 AM
The 1.8 is accurate too i find. The 1.36 is the one that is wrong. I think they fixed the temp problem in the 1.7 bios. So any before that is wrong. The 1.8 1.9 1.A and 1.B all give the same results and they seem very accurate.

Your chip is running warm for that cooling but that doesnt mean that the sensor is reading wrong. Often some of these chips run a lot hotter than others. Its to do with how well the casing is aplied. Could also be that the xp - 90 isnt seated quite right.

it must be the chip then........i tried 1.b now and same thing......the XP-90 is on good im sure cause i played with this mobo and cpu for few days with stock HSF and on that temps were going up to 64c :) so i quit OCing it till i stick the XP90 and i made special care its on right

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 10:35 AM
it must be the chip then........i tried 1.b now and same thing......the XP-90 is on good im sure cause i played with this mobo and cpu for few days with stock HSF and on that temps were going up to 64c :) so i quit OCing it till i stick the XP90 and i made special care its on right

Heres a couple of threads for you to read about this.

Warm cpu 1 (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73708)
Warm cpu 2 (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66815&page=1&pp=25)

madpete fixed it on his cpu by removing the casing. this is however dangerous but lots of good advice in that thread about how to do it safishly.

You should also check out this thread about max TCase
Here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71044)

Lestat
09-10-2005, 11:22 AM
yup could be possible if your running that warm that the heatspreader isnt touching the cpu die
might wanna give AMD a call, the tech support there is really great and everyone i have called are really a cool bunch of guys.
If your temps are shooting up even idle then somehting is wrong.

temps at idle really shouldnt be over 35c and thats even with a warm case and a medium speed fan.

Paradigma
09-10-2005, 11:27 AM
For instance my idle temperature iz around 35°C. Venice 3200+, 10x250=2500Mhz, Vcore 1.47.

el rolio
09-10-2005, 01:05 PM
hey SE, couple things:

i set up speed fan according to the way you do it and got the control over the nb fan now, but why is it that the temp and fan rpm readings are so off sometimes? 10000 rpm kinda things and -40 type temps sometimes....

and secondly, i tried the 1.b standard SE bios but that seems to have usb keyboard and mouse support disabled standard... how do i change that and/or should i use one of your other new ones?

thanks and i was stable with 1.55 + 5% which is guess is the same as 1.45 + 5% so ima change it to that and make sure.... also gonna try and do it with only +3.3%

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 02:03 PM
hey SE, couple things:

i set up speed fan according to the way you do it and got the control over the nb fan now, but why is it that the temp and fan rpm readings are so off sometimes? 10000 rpm kinda things and -40 type temps sometimes....

and secondly, i tried the 1.b standard SE bios but that seems to have usb keyboard and mouse support disabled standard... how do i change that and/or should i use one of your other new ones?

Hi Well The motherboard often has problems reading the fan speeds when they go below a certain speed. its best to keep it in its range. Like mine will have trouble reading the right fan speed after i go below 75 percent so i have the minimum value set above that drop off.

The temperature reading should never change like that are you sure thats happening?

Usb mouse support is disabled by default in almost every bios i have seen for neo 2 you just go into Intergrated devices in the bios menu and enable the option if you want it on.

Garrett
09-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I tried the 1.A4 bios but wasn't stable for me, back to 1.9 (Murdok mod)

Btw... active cooling sounded a little too much like whining so here's my 'new' chipset cooling :D

D3kMatrix
09-10-2005, 02:57 PM
SE u have any idea how to change which temp Speedfan shows in the system tray?

Also, do u still plan on doing the 1.B BIOS with the 1.8 VGA ROM?
EDIT: NM saw what u said on your forums about it.

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Looks nice with a heatsink. To be honest it never gets hot anyway so i might do the same thing you did.

Why did you try the 1.A4 bios because thats kinda old now we have had 1.A official 1.B beta 1 - 4 and official since then.

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Also, do u still plan on doing the 1.B BIOS with the 1.8 VGA ROM?

Tried but cant replace the vga rom because it is embeded in the bios rom and not a seperate rom like they used to be. Well were still talking about it over at my forum. Thinking its maybe a Sata Raid issue are you using SATA raid D3kMatrix?

The sata raid rom is the same on 1.B and 1.8 so its not the rom thats causing it but it could be something to do with it still like latency.

D3kMatrix
09-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm using SATA, but no RAID.

2 IDE HDD's and 1 SATA drive on port 3.

Lestat
09-10-2005, 04:26 PM
I tried the 1.A4 bios but wasn't stable for me, back to 1.9 (Murdok mod)

Btw... active cooling sounded a little too much like whining so here's my 'new' chipset cooling :D

good stuff guy just watch those chipset temps the ol nf3 chip gets warm but not as hot as the NF4 chipset

flenser
09-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Millyon

I get the same temps with my XP-90C and my 3200. I've re-seated the heatsink 6 times (including twice with the aluminum XP-90) and still get the same temps. Due to only mediocre overclocking and some stability issues, I suspect a crappy heatspreader. My heatsink doesn't even get noticeably warm to the touch.

I won't buy another cpu for this mobo though, since there doesn't seem to be a fully working bios for the dual core cpus and I suspect there won't be. MSI probably doesn't think there's any reason to fight the NF3 chipset into properly working with the dual core, and maybe they don't realize that if they abandon all of us with high speed AGP cards without a bios that works properly with venice, san diego, and X2 cpus, then not a damn one of us will buy MSI next time for fear of being abandoned again.

I'm perfectly happy with my 1.8 bios and 3200 cpu, and I'll keep repeating that to myself until my AGP 6800GT isn't fast enough. Then instead of migrating this cpu/mobo to my wife's computer as I usually do when upgrading, I'll throw it all in the trash and replace it with something based around an ABIT or ASUS motherboard. I went with MSI socket 939 to ensure I could do dual-core, and I got screwed because it seems that they can't or won't make it work, and damned if I'm going to give MSI any more money. A mobo update just so I can get a dual core cpu would require me to go with PCI express, but since my AGP 6800GT works just fine now, I'll stick with what I have now until I have no choice, and then I'll replace it all at once. But not with MSI parts. Once bitten...

msimax
09-10-2005, 04:50 PM
im bored bbl ;)

el rolio
09-10-2005, 05:14 PM

yea click configure then on the temps tab (first on left), select a temp like you were gonna set ranges, or rename it, and on the right side of the window above the OK and CANCEL buttons is a checkbox to make it show in tray

Garrett
09-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Looks nice with a heatsink. To be honest it never gets hot anyway so i might do the same thing you did.

Why did you try the 1.A4 bios because thats kinda old now we have had 1.A official 1.B beta 1 - 4 and official since then.
Because supposedly it didn't have cold boot issues.... well it does with my UTT... so back to 1.9

I don't think there's ever going to be a bios that doesn't have cold boot problems with this UTT crap :p:

4rory
09-10-2005, 05:33 PM
My idle temps are 41 degrees' and thats low because today it's cool here case temp is 26c usally case temp is around 30c+ and idle is about 45, this is with xp-90 and a tornado mind you! and 1.5vcore lol it's rediculos I even took ihs off, under load I see 56c I't might just be the mobo, but I've tried 1.8 which the temps are sapouse to work on, and same temps so...

Anyways I'm still happy with my chip it's running 2.950mhz with 1.5vcore I think the board is just reading +10c to high :D Heat sink isn't even warm to the touch either.

4rory
09-10-2005, 06:03 PM
In Central brain Identifier under mobility/ p state it tells you tcase max and "thermal offset 10c" anyone know what this means?

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Millyon

I get the same temps with my XP-90C and my 3200. I've re-seated the heatsink 6 times (including twice with the aluminum XP-90) and still get the same temps. Due to only mediocre overclocking and some stability issues, I suspect a crappy heatspreader. My heatsink doesn't even get noticeably warm to the touch.

I won't buy another cpu for this mobo though, since there doesn't seem to be a fully working bios for the dual core cpus and I suspect there won't be. MSI probably doesn't think there's any reason to fight the NF3 chipset into properly working with the dual core, and maybe they don't realize that if they abandon all of us with high speed AGP cards without a bios that works properly with venice, san diego, and X2 cpus, then not a damn one of us will buy MSI next time for fear of being abandoned again.

I'm perfectly happy with my 1.8 bios and 3200 cpu, and I'll keep repeating that to myself until my AGP 6800GT isn't fast enough. Then instead of migrating this cpu/mobo to my wife's computer as I usually do when upgrading, I'll throw it all in the trash and replace it with something based around an ABIT or ASUS motherboard. I went with MSI socket 939 to ensure I could do dual-core, and I got screwed because it seems that they can't or won't make it work, and damned if I'm going to give MSI any more money. A mobo update just so I can get a dual core cpu would require me to go with PCI express, but since my AGP 6800GT works just fine now, I'll stick with what I have now until I have no choice, and then I'll replace it all at once. But not with MSI parts. Once bitten...

Wow flashback to bios 1.9 :p: Theres no big issues with the 1.A and 1.B bios files and the san diego venice or x2 cpus. I dont know what youve been reading maybe old posts about first x2 bios maybe.

When your done with your neo 2 send it to me instead of throwing it away and ill use it :D

Sure a lot of people :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: about the neo 2 but if you read it carefully and see what some people expect then take it with a pinch of salt. The neo 2 is never gonna perform as some people would like but its still a decent motherboard. My san diego runs fine at 2750 mhz 250 x 11 on air and 3ghz on vapochill. People here have x2 cpus running just perfectly.

Bios updates are regular and improvments are being made.

msimax
09-10-2005, 07:08 PM
i was bored so i cranked it up.. will push higher :) :) :)

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4748/12128uz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

msimax
09-10-2005, 07:09 PM
my sandra performance rating is 9022

D3kMatrix
09-10-2005, 07:10 PM
yea click configure then on the temps tab (first on left), select a temp like you were gonna set ranges, or rename it, and on the right side of the window above the OK and CANCEL buttons is a checkbox to make it show in tray

Nice, thanks.

sniggle
09-10-2005, 07:17 PM
sideeffect, i downloaded your 1.b ballistix bios just now and have been testing it with my 2x1gb ballistix. before i discovered your bios (tonight), i was running 1.8 modded by murdok and i was unable to get more than 240mhz stable on the ram. this was with testing each stick individually and all sorts of timings/voltages. the ram is definitely more stable in slots 3&4 though.

i'm currently testing 255x9 3-4-4-10-1T = 2.3ghz, but the memory bandwidth isn't all that much better than it was at 240 3-3-3-8, plus i've lost 100mhz on my overclock. at 260 my system just locks up at desktop.

i will probably try tightening the timings at 255 and maybe give it 2.8v (it's at 2.75 now). overall the stability appears to have improved at higher fsb's with your bios, but at the cost of bandwidth. 240mhz with your 1.b tested 200MB/sec lower in sandra than with 1.8, which is probably due to the loosened other timings you implemented.

thanks for taking the time for modding these bioses though, much appreciated! :)

edit: although the fsb was higher stable at a lower cpu multiplier, the lower memory bandwidth made it not worth it. i'm currently testing 240mhz at 2.5-3-3-10 and it seems pretty stable. this is a little jump from the previous, and that's always good. :)

one thing that is REALLY annoying about this and every 1.x series bios is that every time i reboot, my raid just disappears. if i go into the bios it doesn't even show up i have to turn the computer off and then on again, THEN go into the bios and move the raid to the top of the boot priority again. it's really annoying, and adds about 2 minutes to every reboot. it goes along with the sporadic "HAVE OPTION ROM" error in the raid boot. i wish msi would fix these bugs... :(

sideeffect
09-10-2005, 08:40 PM
My ballistix bios is actually faster than the stock 1.B bios. Faster and more stable. The Max async is relaxed which is a slight slowdown but read write que bypass and bypass max are both at faster settings. This equates to about 20mb/s more bandwidth in sisoft and about 20 miliseconds in pifast :p:

You should try some other benchmarks like super pi, pifast everest memory test etc. The 1.B may be slower than 1.8 bios at raw bandwidth "in a synthetic test" like sandra but in real world performance its about the same clock for clock.

Some of the multipliers are also faster than others different multipliers to the 1.8. If you can get your memory into a 12x multiplier using the dividers it is a fast multiplier on the 1.B bios.

Try 270 x 9 with a 183 divider see what thats like. = 2430mhz cpu and 243 mhz ram.

Edit - you cant really compare 3-3-3 vs 3-4-4. Athlon 64 loves lower trp and trcd so even with your mhz increase thats why it wasnt much faster. Try keeping timings of 3-3-3 and see how much more you can get over 1.8.

el rolio
09-10-2005, 10:01 PM
if im using hte ocz golds (bh-5) should i use the 1.b std mod or the ballistix?

sniggle
09-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Some of the multipliers are also faster than others different multipliers to the 1.8. If you can get your memory into a 12x multiplier using the dividers it is a fast multiplier on the 1.B bios.

Try 270 x 9 with a 183 divider see what thats like. = 2430mhz cpu and 243 mhz ram.

tried the 270 x 8 with 183 divider and it wouldn't even post. had to reset the cmos with the jumper. is it possible that it's because i have stock passive cooling on the north bridge?

regardless, i'm pretty satisfied with my performance at 2.5-3-3-9 240mhz. it can definitely hold me over until i upgrade to whatever amd platform comes out next (assuming it supports ddr)

msimax
09-11-2005, 03:21 AM
hey sniggle u might have to give that ram some volts

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Crucial/Tracer4000/2

Millyons
09-11-2005, 03:25 AM
thanks guys.....ya it must be the CPU i played with different bioses and reseated it n same thing. it seems that the cpu is crappy cant even do 2500 and since either not enough voltage and when i give it it runs to 60c and over on load, ill probably just get a 3200.

sideeffect ya i know about maxt and mine is 57c so it should have been a bit better since most are up to 55 and some over 59

sideeffect
09-11-2005, 03:51 AM
hey sniggle u might have to give that ram some volts
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Crucial/Tracer4000/2

LOL that article is so funny. I have tried 4 sets of ballistix ram and none of them have ever got anywhere near the reults hes mentioned. 270 MHz 2.5-3-3-5 2.8V i very much doupt it.

He either had some A grade crucial review samples directly from crucial. Or TCCD with Ballistix heatspreaders on :p:

Lestat
09-11-2005, 05:26 AM
LOL that article is so funny. I have tried 4 sets of ballistix ram and none of them have ever got anywhere near the reults hes mentioned. 270 MHz 2.5-3-3-5 2.8V i very much doupt it.

He either had some A grade crucial review samples directly from crucial. Or TCCD with Ballistix heatspreaders on :p:

Very good results, but a motherboard with Vdimm up to 3.1V is required to see the sweet spot of these modules

sideeffect
09-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Nah i also tried them on a lanparty that had vdimm up to 3.3 volts they hate voltage.

fscussel
09-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey people, I have a suggestion, why not showing in the first page the average HTT that this board can achive? I mean, the thread is huge, its hard to find out what to expect about the highest HTT it can handle. I'm thinking that something around 300mhz is a normal result for most boards, but not completely sure!

Garrett
09-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey people, I have a suggestion, why not showing in the first page the average HTT that this board can achive? I mean, the thread is huge, its hard to find out what to expect about the highest HTT it can handle. I'm thinking that something around 300mhz is a normal result for most boards, but not completely sure!I tried 360 for a couple of hours of gaming, no problem, 370 was no go...
24/7 use is 9x312 here :)

fscussel
09-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I tried 360 for a couple of hours of gaming, no problem, 370 was no go...
24/7 use is 9x312 here :)

Ok, but that's one board, what I would like to know is for someone who have read the whole thread and/or perhaps has the board for a long time and have been reading a lot about it everyday what is a good HTT value to expect it to achive?

4rory
09-11-2005, 12:11 PM
It's in my sig.

sideeffect
09-11-2005, 01:15 PM
The boards seem to do a lot of HTT but not so well in 1:1. You would be lucky if you can get 300 1:1.

People with tccd seem to get about 270 - 290 quite regularly though. So its almost impossible to say. It depends on what memory you have and if the cpu you have has a good memory controller which a lot dont.

And then if your lucky enough to have a good motherboard. If you just talking about HTT and not memory speed most seem to go quite high to like 330 or 340.

Millyons
09-11-2005, 02:43 PM
depending on bios ver, mine booted up to 380htt

sinister1st
09-11-2005, 09:32 PM
HMM anyone having a problem using 1.B official posting into bios with restart?

I just flashed to 1.B from 1.9 and i have to do a full shutdown to get to into bios. When restarting NO GO with delete key! I get a nasty little cursor! Then haveto shut down. RESTART then boom fires right up.
FLASHED IT TWICE! Still same thing, i guess im going to give one of the modded bios a shot. With 1.9 i had no errors with anything and i see some people getting errors here and there with raid and other goodies. I seen a few people on msi forums getting the same error as me, im wondering if it is my keyboard i dont know why it would be its not usb.

Millyons
09-11-2005, 11:53 PM
same here, i didnt try the 1.B betas, do they do the same thing?

sinister1st
09-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry for the double post but i figured it out. What i did was NOT let it quickboot 1 time and then i HAVE to choose USB K\B storage support ENABLED even though IM NOT USING A USB KEYBOARD. Well i bet the next bios will kick butt but this one doesnt seem as well made as 1.9. If i cant get 270x10 im going back to 1.9. No other errors gonna test this tommorow. I better go tell some noobs at msi forums. Something so easy can be so dam annoying.

BerT
09-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Just flashed from 1.5 to 1.9 but didn't find any improvements @ my overclockingresults.

3200+ Winnie
Neo2 Platinum
OCZ Gold Rev2 2*256 (tccd) or 2*256 Kingston HX (BH5)

Also my max HTT still is +-300 ...

Any comment on that ?

sideeffect
09-12-2005, 03:57 AM
Just flashed from 1.5 to 1.9 but didn't find any improvements @ my overclockingresults.
3200+ Winnie
Neo2 Platinum
OCZ Gold Rev2 2*256 (tccd) or 2*256 Kingston HX (BH5)
Also my max HTT still is +-300 ...
Any comment on that ?

Well I dont think 1.5 or 1.9 are very good bios files. The best for winchesters are probably the 1.36 rev4 by NFM and the 1.8 rev 3 by NFM.

The best for x2 is probably 1.B and im using 1.B with my san diego and im happy with it.

el rolio
09-12-2005, 05:51 AM
Well I dont think 1.5 or 1.9 are very good bios files. The best for winchesters are probably the 1.36 rev4 by NFM and the 1.8 rev 3 by NFM.

The best for x2 is probably 1.B and im using 1.B with my san diego and im happy with it.

heh well im goin back to the 1.8 rev 3 that i got my stability tests done on. as always SE, thanks

Budwise
09-12-2005, 08:57 AM
i just flashed to Syar's modded version of 1.B Final, and it works great. No problems at all.

sinister1st
09-12-2005, 09:28 AM

I have a X2 4400 and it loved the 1.9 bios. Im wondering if that bios was made just for that chip. ISNT it true that the X2 3800 doesnt work proper on 1.9 ?

Im looking for some results between these to bioses 1.9 and 1.B with the X2 4400. SIDE EFFECT that TCCD version of your bios 1.B looks tempting for my gskills i think ill give it a try THANKS. How does it run at stock and are you able to change the 256 clocks?

sideeffect
09-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Well my tccd bios is designed to allow more mhz on the ram speed. So if your planning to run stock i dont really see the point in it :p: or the point in tccd tbh.

From my testing though my ballistix bios is slightly faster at the same settings than the 1.B official is and its also more stable.

256 clks should work best with tccd if thats not the case then you could try the ballistix bios which sets 64 clks.

BTW the ballistix bios should work well with almost any memory at high HTT should probably call it the high HTT bios.

sinister1st
09-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks SE ill see how it does, I sometimes like to run my gskill at 2-2-2-5@stock when not ocing and thats not usual. My neo 2 is a pretty good board i hope the next bios has no bugs i cant believe i have to enable usb keyboard support to go into bios 1.b. When is msi going to just enable all ram dividers, what do they think they are going to surprise us all sometime next year and make the other unavailable options open? Since im not running raid i havent had the great annoying experience of "rom invoke" or any of the other errors, i wonder why this only happens to SOME people? Maybe a differnt board type? MADE IN TAIWAN? :toast:

sideeffect
09-12-2005, 11:00 AM
The rom invoke is caused by the Nvidia Lan. If you disable the onbaord Nvidia lan the message goes away.

Maybe ill have usb mouse/keyboard on by default in the next bios. I just left it at the MSI default which is disabled.

MSI just spends a lot of time testing things. Like I have enabled the 150 and 183 dividers in my bios and they work fine. MSI would know that they work but it probably hasnt been fully tested yet so they havnt enabled them fully.

They did the same thing with USB 2.0 support. The 1.B bios was the first to enable it since this new bios format turned up but the mod bios makers have been enabling it since 1.9 bios with no problems.

Draxx
09-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Is it just me or has AGP performance suffered in later BIOS's? I was getting higher 3D Mark scores with BIOS 1.5 then I'm getting now with Syar's 1.A mod. To make it worse my CPU is running faster now!!

sunn
09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
hello there, i know this thread is a guide for tips and tricks, but im wondering i anyone could 'guide' me on a decssion?

i currently have a Asus A8V Deluxe but recently i thinking of changing to the Neo 2, no real reasons just some annoying problems i get with it. so anyone think its a good move?

i have 3200+ winnie, 2 x 512Mb Geil Value RAM, XFX 6800GT

any pros and cons i should know about thats not on the first post?

msimax
09-12-2005, 04:57 PM
anyone wana buy redline utt :D :D

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2488/imga01403cj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9514/imga01411ix.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/7564/imga01426xz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3436/imga01436lp.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

i willing to let them go for $16 each ;)

sideeffect
09-12-2005, 05:17 PM
lol is the pcb included in that price?

Are they 64 mb each ?

Lestat
09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
sure looks like hunks of plastic to me

what the hell are you ever gunna do with those ?

you could always solder them onto your existing sticks of ram for double layered chips...
1 gig sticks....

and those are a tad large for any ram chip that fits onto a PC... look at your finger then compare it to the chip now look at a stick of ram you have sitting around and compare the chip on it to your finger.. now look back at these pics they sure seem twice as big as the ones on your pc ram dont they ?

msimax
09-12-2005, 08:52 PM
those are real utt lestat came from that stupid stick i couldnt rma

TMM
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Is it just me or has AGP performance suffered in later BIOS's? I was getting higher 3D Mark scores with BIOS 1.5 then I'm getting now with Syar's 1.A mod. To make it worse my CPU is running faster now!!
no problems here. As good 3dmark05 scores as 1.3B6 bios (im running sideeffects 1.BB3)

TMM
09-13-2005, 01:24 AM
Ah nuts. Just flashed back to 1.3B6 (1.BB3 isn't so good for my winchester), and i can't load from SATA :s. did a full flash of bootblock and everything, cmos reset with battery out for half and hour and still the same problem.
Thinking it may be a problem with how the newer bioses format the drives, since i formatted this drive when i had 1.BB3 installed... formatting again from 1.3b6 now :s wish me luck

edit: **** it didn't work :( ideas?

BerT
09-13-2005, 01:53 AM
I think im gonna give NFM 1.36 modded bios a try.
But first I'm gonna test 1.9 bios further.
Msi must have made some improvements ?

Any other suggestions on winnie bios ?

sideeffect
09-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Yes dont use 1.9 :p:

Try 1.36 or 1.8 or 1.B

BerT
09-13-2005, 05:18 AM
SE and your bios ?

1.3B6 rev 4 is mostly for BH5 aint it ?

Lestat
09-13-2005, 05:33 AM
those are real utt lestat came from that stupid stick i couldnt rma

i didnt really doubt it more of a joke.

but seriously look at your finger then the chips then compare with existing ram is it just me or do they look larger than chips already on a stick of ram ?

and if you unsoldered them, then you did a fancy nice job guy!

you wanna solder 2 of them onto my xbox ? lol
too bad they wouldnt fit :(

TMM
09-13-2005, 06:25 AM
hi, i need urgent help. Im figured that its not flashing everything... since my NVRAID is 4.81... and 4.81 was not introduced until bios 1.5, and im flashing 1.3B6 (not modded)!, either that or i need a bios that flashes it back :/

i'm using the /wb switch but its still not helping. i get "error loading operating system" when trying to boot from sata and the only way i can fix it is to flash to 1.BB3 again :(. also tryed official 1.8 but i still can't boot from sata!. i've formatted my drive several times, and even done a FIXMBR from the windows recovery console with no luck.

please help :(

edit: ok to clarify i've thrown another Sata drive from my AthlonXP rig in there and its started booting windows (at which stage i just turned off the comp as i knew it would BSOD before it finished loading). So it seems the 1.BB3 bios has done something funky to my MBR, which is causing earlier bioses to not boot the drive... wtf. Going to try and format the offending drive in another rig and see what happens.... will do that in teh morning tho

Lestat
09-13-2005, 10:07 AM
1)
after flashing you need to go back and turn raid ON for the appropriate hard drive ports
2)
put the boot order of the hard drives in proper order.

the different nvraid roms dont make this happen. its a setting in the bios that you have wrong. although a bad nvraid rom could do it yes,, but i dont think thats the problem.
use the 1.36r4 modded bios or the 1.8 official from msi both are good.

Also the Boot order you need to make correct and also the Hard drive boot order.

It says error loading operating system becuase 1) its looking at the wrong hard drive.
2) its looking at your raid hard drives but they are not raid so it can not load windows properly

its a simple fix.

also you need to use a large string of switches with the flash i cant remember what they are and im at work so i cant tell you what they are but search this thread ive posted them several times, also sideeffect and others know what they are so wait to se eif they reply.

the fix is simple just hang tight...

also the nvraid doesnt like being messed with you have to delete the raid and choose clear data,, then reboot, then go back and make the raid again. then load up the xp cd and load windows.

you added an edit and im not sure i understand it but i highly doubt the MBR of the disk is bad unless the rAID is still intact, you must delete the raid vbia the nvraid setup menu.

jackea
09-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I tested the 1.B TCCD version and it seemed OK, but I could not
get DMA mode to work on my hard drives. So I flashed
back to 1.8, now the drives work OK but the MAC on the Nvidia LAN is
FF FF FF FF FF FF.
The Nvidia LAN doesn't work after this, it seems as if
the flash erased the MAC adress of the Nvidia LAN.

Is there a way to get it back?

sinister1st
09-13-2005, 02:33 PM
AWFL833D.EXE 7025nms.180 /py /sn /nvmac:xxxxxxxxxxxx /wb /cc /cd

Losphoron
09-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Jackea the thing with MAC happens exactly like that but on a Cable modem Motorola Sb4200.Try rewriting the MAC adress from bios.In 1.B bios modded by SideEfect (MAN thanks for those firmwares.Awesome!!) there is a NVMAC where you can type the MAC adress.Try there.

I am a MSI fan (i have cd-writer, vga, 2 maiboards from them) I got my Neo2 today so my specs are:
A64 3000+ venice with Arctic Cooler Ultra 64 TCl..this cooler is awesome.Very quite, performant and inexpensive. 17$..My CPU temp stays between 27 degree and 32-34 degrees Celsius
MSI K8N NEO2 P 1.B (sideefect bios)
I got the card OC-ing up to 250x9 by now.I tried to boot at 260 and 270 and the even don't boot.I will try adding more power to cpu.Windows is ok by now.The most intersting thing is the NB rev is 05062 Korea. :P.unfortunetly my memory banks are not so good.I have a Dialog with hynix memories banks it works 2.4.4.8 DDR400 and a KIngmax DDR333 2.3.3.8.The stupid thing is if i set the memory to 1T windows 2000 sp4 will report a BSOD during loading that ACPI is not compatible or something like this but i am 100% that is memory problem.Anyway this board is better than my old Kt3V (MS-6712) with Xp2200+.Any advices other than changing the memory banks is apreciated and BTW another thing that i got when i put the two memory banks in the first slots near CPU DIM1 and DIM 2 like all guys said here: my system don't boot and it give a looong beep.After putted green with green like in the book..ALL OK.

Garrett
09-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Jackea the thing with MAC happens exactly like that but on a Cable modem Motorola Sb4200.Try rewriting the MAC adress from bios.In 1.B bios modded by SideEfect (MAN thanks for those firmwares.Awesome!!) there is a NVMAC where you can type the MAC adress.Try there.

I am a MSI fan (i have cd-writer, vga, 2 maiboards from them) I got my Neo2 today so my specs are:
A64 3000+ venice with Arctic Cooler Ultra 64 TCl..this cooler is awesome.Very quite, performant and inexpensive. 17$..My CPU temp stays between 27 degree and 32-34 degrees Celsius
MSI K8N NEO2 P 1.B (sideefect bios)
I got the card OC-ing up to 250x9 by now.I tried to boot at 260 and 270 and the even don't boot.I will try adding more power to cpu.Windows is ok by now.The most intersting thing is the NB rev is 05062 Korea. :P.unfortunetly my memory banks are not so good.I have a Dialog with hynix memories banks it works 2.4.4.8 DDR400 and a KIngmax DDR333 2.3.3.8.The stupid thing is if i set the memory to 1T windows 2000 sp4 will report a BSOD during loading that ACPI is not compatible or something like this but i am 100% that is memory problem.Anyway this board is better than my old Kt3V (MS-6712) with Xp2200+.Any advices other than changing the memory banks is apreciated and BTW another thing that i got when i put the two memory banks in the first slots near CPU DIM1 and DIM 2 like all guys said here: my system don't boot and it give a looong beep.After putted green with green like in the book..ALL OK.I have the FF FF FF FF FF mac 'problem' too... what MAC should I enter anyway, can you just enter anything?

sideeffect
09-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Losphoron - Yes you have 1x 512 mb stick and 1 x 256 mb stick. This will cause you big problems and wont work properly in dual channel. Best to get rid of the 256 mb stick and buy another 512mb.

If you do that get the same make as the other ddr 400 512mb stick you have and you should be able to run dual channel and 1T.

Losphoron
09-13-2005, 03:07 PM
maybe i could OC further after changing the sticks?I love this board.A little correction.I just stabilized the card at 260x9.Booting and windows no problems by now.At 270 the pc is booting but the windows begin to correct hdd errors with scandisk so i got back.No test in games by now.Thx sideefect.

Losphoron
09-13-2005, 03:10 PM
I have the FF FF FF FF FF mac 'problem' too... what MAC should I enter anyway, can you just enter anything?
it doesn't matter man.Just put a 12 digit number there.Anyway i will add my NIC mac to make you an idea.
this is my NV mac: 00:11:09:e9:6a:7a.Just put in bios another adrress.Doesn matter.

sideeffect
09-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Is anyone here running 3 sticks of memory in dual channel?

Like 2 x 256 and 1 x 512 or 2x 512 and 1 x 1gb ?

Im wondering what the best solution is when i want to move up to 2gb is it to buy 2 more 512mb sticks. Or to sell the sticks I have and buy 2 x 1gb or just buy 1 x 1gb.

Losphoron
09-13-2005, 03:13 PM
man.My card is reporting single channel memories.I can put the thrid DDR 333 stick from samsung if you want and put it in first purple slot.

Lestat
09-13-2005, 03:40 PM
dont use that same mac address please...

every nic card in the world has a different mac address. duplicate nic's can cause packets from another person to go to you. but you need to be on the same subnet for that to happen. so if your not in the same town and ISP its not really too big of an issue but just change a few letters or numbers in that and it will work

sideeffect
09-13-2005, 04:17 PM
man.My card is reporting single channel memories.I can put the thrid DDR 333 stick from samsung if you want and put it in first purple slot.

Yes like i said to run in dual channel you have to use equal size memory. You can use 2 x 512mb sticks or 2 x 256mb sticks you cant use 1 x 256mb and 1x 512mb. You can supposedly use 2x 256mb and 1 x 512 mb stick though and that will make dual channel.

I think it depends though for that to work i think maybe the 256 mb sticks have to be single sided and the 512 mb stick double sided.

TMM
09-13-2005, 10:57 PM
i don't think Athlon64s like 3 stick dual chan at all (ie. 2x256+512 or 2x512+1gb)

best stick with 2x512 or 2x1GB, or if you must, 4x512

1)
after flashing you need to go back and turn raid ON for the appropriate hard drive ports
2)
put the boot order of the hard drives in proper order.

the different nvraid roms dont make this happen. its a setting in the bios that you have wrong. although a bad nvraid rom could do it yes,, but i dont think thats the problem.
use the 1.36r4 modded bios or the 1.8 official from msi both are good.

Also the Boot order you need to make correct and also the Hard drive boot order.

It says error loading operating system becuase 1) its looking at the wrong hard drive.
2) its looking at your raid hard drives but they are not raid so it can not load windows properly

its a simple fix.

also you need to use a large string of switches with the flash i cant remember what they are and im at work so i cant tell you what they are but search this thread ive posted them several times, also sideeffect and others know what they are so wait to se eif they reply.

the fix is simple just hang tight...

also the nvraid doesnt like being messed with you have to delete the raid and choose clear data,, then reboot, then go back and make the raid again. then load up the xp cd and load windows.

you added an edit and im not sure i understand it but i highly doubt the MBR of the disk is bad unless the rAID is still intact, you must delete the raid vbia the nvraid setup menu.

Thanks for that, definately some good advice for when i run into harddrive troubles again :D
Though the problem lay with the Harddrive iteself in the end. Seems like the 1.B bios was making an improper MBR, which it still seemed to boot of fine itself, but get another bios to try and boot it and you get an error. Ended up formatting the whole thing on another PC, and now everything works again :toast:

btw, Sata disks work fine with raid off on my board - it boots faster that way too :)

jackea
09-14-2005, 12:53 AM
AWFL833D.EXE 7025nms.180 /py /sn /nvmac:xxxxxxxxxxxx /wb /cc /cd

Thanks alot it did the trick, i found the Mac adress on a sticker on
top of the printer port, typed it in as per the above instructions and
now its working.
Though i just checked and now both the Nvidia MAC and the
other onboard LAN have the same MAC.
Has they always had the same or was it me who typed in
the wrong MAC?

Losphoron
09-14-2005, 01:23 AM
I am aware that the dual channel need identical memories so now all i talk is about oc and putting more banks like we all do on older mainboards.The intersting thing is single channell memories must be placed in the same way like dual channel.Now i occupied one channel (green slots).By putting them without respectiv the colours even in single channel the system don't boot.I think older rev are out of book specs.In the book and pirnted with white on mainboard is clear."Channel A" (Green). "Channel B" (Purple) but many said that for stability first green and purple slot must be ocupied in order to boot properly.Is a little confusing.In my opinion this was another problem on earlier rev.This problem is very confusing for begginers.

Draxx
09-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Isn't the NVMAC written on the printer port?

Losphoron
09-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Yes it is.

Draxx
09-14-2005, 05:57 AM
So why don't the chaps who have lost it in the BIOS just copy it from there into the BIOS?

jackea
09-14-2005, 06:55 AM
So why don't the chaps who have lost it in the BIOS just copy it from there into the BIOS?

I did that, the problem is that it was the same MAC as the other
onboard LAN. So it seems as if the MAC on the printer port
on my NEO2 Plat isn't the one for the Nvidia LAN.

Draxx
09-14-2005, 07:31 AM
I did that, the problem is that it was the same MAC as the other
onboard LAN. So it seems as if the MAC on the printer port
on my NEO2 Plat isn't the one for the Nvidia LAN.

hmm odd as everywhere I've been to say the same thing, that the NVMAC is the one on the printer port.

Are you using both LAN connections then?

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=86258.0 is one of them...

sinister1st
09-14-2005, 08:15 AM
{Go to cmd then type in ipconfig /all } you will see your address make sure both realtek and nvidia lans are enabled to see both. I dont know what you did but you should have written it down before flash. Both addresses are not exactly the same. If they are the same you can try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew but make sure you dont have an adresss of EEEEOOOFFFFF or something like that. Maybe you should try and disable your lan connections when you flash your bios thats what i do and i never loose my address. :) ever.

jackea
09-14-2005, 08:25 AM
{Go to cmd then type in ipconfig /all } you will see your address make sure both realtek and nvidia lans are enabled to see both. I dont know what you did but you should have written it down before flash. Both addresses are not exactly the same. If they are the same you can try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew but make sure you dont have an adresss of EEEEOOOFFFFF or something like that. Maybe you should try and disable your lan connections when you flash your bios thats what i do and i never loose my address. :) ever.

ipconfig /all
Thats how I found out that they uses the same MAC.
I have flashed this board ith every Bios known to man ;-),
so it was perhaps bound to happen, I solved it know by using
a unique MAC from an old 10 MB NIC.

el rolio
09-14-2005, 09:19 AM
sinister, im sorry, but i gotta go OT to let you kno that your avatar is frikken awesome and i want the rest of it for my wall paper.

reminds me of girls back home. sigh, cant find much of that here in the midwest (boo)

uhm back on topic.... NEO2 ROCKS!?

ps: is runnin 1.52-55v for my 250x10 OC good(on a winnie)? i always believe that high oc's with little voltage is where the pride's at...

Lestat
09-14-2005, 09:58 AM
hey now no nocking the midwest! Iowan here!

you can find asses that big here but they are usually followed by a top half thats twice as big hahaha eewww!!!

Losphoron
09-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Ok.Breaking news.Another friend bought the same board like me but with other config and i begin to test their system for OC.First let me present his config:
A64 3200+
Neo2 P (Absolutly identical with.Bios and NB rev) flashed to 1.B oficial.
1 stick of Kingmax Hardcore Gamer DDR500
6800 simple
Wd 80gb.
Arctic Cooler Freezer 64.Best of for 939 from AC.
The intersting thing is he can't boot the system when it set the FSB at 260mhz but he can boot it and windows works with fsb at 250.At me is the same situation but with more cheaper stickers and two of them.Here is a coincidence or i am stupid.We, both, have the same NB rev 05062A and the same OC stop value.Should i try 1.36 moded versions?For me is even better i get booted at 260 but no more..

Millyons
09-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Ok.Breaking news.Another friend bought the same board like me but with other config and i begin to test their system for OC.First let me present his config:
A64 3200+
Neo2 P (Absolutly identical with.Bios and NB rev) flashed to 1.B oficial.
1 stick of Kingmax Hardcore Gamer DDR500
6800 simple
Wd 80gb.
Arctic Cooler Freezer 64.Best of for 939 from AC.
The intersting thing is he can't boot the system when it set the FSB at 260mhz but he can boot it and windows works with fsb at 250.At me is the same situation but with more cheaper stickers and two of them.Here is a coincidence or i am stupid.We, both, have the same NB rev 05062A and the same OC stop value.Should i try 1.36 moded versions?For me is even better i get booted at 260 but no more..

did he try htt x3?

Losphoron
09-14-2005, 11:46 AM
yep.
Let me tell my latest news.If i reduce from 400mhz to 333mhz i booted up at 280mhz and the windows works.If i put the same fsb with a memory at 400mhz no bootup.Now from 1810 i get 2520mhz.is a pretty good deal.
Bios settings
V core: 1.57-1.60 (10% max value setted) ..If anyone know how to increase it more and to work will be apreciated
Memory Voltage: 3.25-3.3
280x9.0
memory setted at 166x2.
the rest of settings like cool n quite, spread spectrum, dynamic oc, agressive timming, Nv/Ati speedup etc are disable.
Any more suggestion will be apreciated.now i get from the same friend a Kingmax 512mb stick that can support 400/433 to try more..

for all this i put cap and say that games are freezing...so it's pretty uselless.The proc do not go over 40 celsius so the temp is not a problemm...damn

sinister1st
09-14-2005, 02:35 PM
sinister, im sorry, but i gotta go OT to let you kno that your avatar is frikken awesome and i want the rest of it for my wall paper.

reminds me of girls back home. sigh, cant find much of that here in the midwest (boo)

uhm back on topic.... NEO2 ROCKS!?

ps: is runnin 1.52-55v for my 250x10 OC good(on a winnie)? i always believe that high oc's with little voltage is where the pride's at...

Here you can use it for Wpaper buy you might want to fix it up with photoshop a little. http://img279.imageshack.us/my.php?image=westcoast7uq.jpg

Hows your audigy zs running on this board? Any problems? Im thinking of getting a sound card other that onboard for this neo2.

Losphoron
09-14-2005, 03:52 PM
I have a Teratec Aureon 7.1 space..No problems..My friend have a Sblive 5.1 if you wanna i will ask if he had any problems.But after kt133 and their onboard audio there are no more problems with sound cards after that chipset..They learned from their mistakes
maybe some ppl have money for this...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/memory/254/4/ :stick: :stick: :stick: shooot me coz i can't aford them

ATT
09-14-2005, 06:13 PM
just got this mobo(AGP) have a dual core 4400+ that needs 1.6 to reach 2.6GHz

1.6V is the max i can get from this board i notice with bios modded bioses you can trick MSI core center and push it to 1.75v

right now is doing prime one on each core temp 52C Ram running @ dividers 183 /522MHZ 9*289 HT 3 voltage 1.6 :D wish it had clock higher maybe ill send her back get me 3700+ sandi and run it @ 4000+ speeds

el rolio
09-14-2005, 06:20 PM
hey the card runs great on it man, no probs at all. like the other dude said it jsut works and how.

thanks for hte linkin the pic. i was hopin for more of the girl, maybe some long slightly wavy brunette hair.... the lil wife beater top, oh well. hahah

Draxx
09-15-2005, 04:23 AM
Audigy 2 ZS works a treat :D

Losphoron
09-15-2005, 06:11 AM
I hate msi software..When you choose voltages the valued displayed is 0.10 higher than the efective value after you changed it..i had two msi boards.Same problem.If i choose 1.75V the actual stuff is 1.65V..

VaCreeper
09-15-2005, 02:02 PM
I,ve been following this post for a while now, and have gleened much usefull information from it. Thanx to all :toast:
With the system I have, my best settings are:
11x244 1:1 2T 2.5,3,3,8 vdimm2.85 CPU1.45@10% HTx3

That's the best I can do with 4x 512, but with just one stick in it's a whole nother story. But...I want the memory for some games that are real hogs, and this setup runs e'm sweet.
Thanx again for all the great tips! :woot:

Creeper(aka Three Crows)

Paradigma
09-15-2005, 04:05 PM
To resume my findings

As a probably best AGP motherboard for OC it still has too much drownings for me.

1. can't OC 6800GT w/o sporadical freezeing (NF3 + 6800GT :down: )
2. pctv vision has delayed video in full screen (seems to me that NF3 + pctv :down: )
3. very stupid place for CMOS reset jumper
4. hdd, floppy and MB power connectors in front of hyper 6 blower

Lestat
09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
can't OC 6800GT w/o sporadical freezeing

once again people this has nothing to do with the NF3 system, its just the way the MF3 system handles the fact that your overclocking your card furhter than what it can handle.
throw that card on any other system and it will lock up too or your system will just flat out reboot.
My pci-e GT is a piece of crap overclocker 400/1000 is the best it will do and if i got to 410 it will lock up also.

this has nothing to do with the nf3.. period. its already been proven and layed out that cards that do this are 1) pushed to far or 2) have really crappy memory and they cant handle the overclock, the 6800GT's have been plagued with bad memory chips since they came out AGP and PCI-E both do it.

hyper 6 blower isnt the mobo's fault its the people who made the HSF

yes VERY VERY stupid place for cmos jumper but do what i did.
i took a zip tie, and the pointed end i shoved in the Jumper so that it sticks and then i just grab that to pull off and on the jumper, I also took a solid piece of plastic and super glued it to a jumper so that i can push on the jumper and the plastic doesnt flex, which is what happens with the ziptie.
just make it long enough so that it sticks way out so you can grab it. there wasnt that easy ? and didnt take a brain scientist to figure out, cuz god knows im far from that!

again PCTV is the problem not the NF3 go get a decent TV tuner PCTV is old and cheap go get a good one and maybe you wont have that issue

D3kMatrix
09-15-2005, 04:39 PM
My GT OC depends on what BIOS I'm using.

Anything from 1.36 to 1.9 it will do 405/1110. (Because I modded my GPU BIOS to 1.4v)
But with 1.A or 1.B it won't even do 375 on the core.
And with these 2 BIOS's even at stock clocks games are not playable, its like the textures have trouble loading or something, when ever a new level is loaded or something big happens in the game i get quick hitching and :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty FPS.

sideeffect
09-15-2005, 05:43 PM
:p:

Well just installed the 77.77 nvidia drivers and with 1.B Ballistix bios with card at 435mhz core and 1105 mhz memory and 1.33 volts i get 5930 in 3d mark 2005.

My card clocks better at lower volts than higher. 1.4 volts clocked worse. Not a heat issue though card fully loads at 56 degrees.

3dMark2005 score (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1222517)

If anyone wants to try my 6800 GT bios let me know and ill email it to you. Its a Leadtek bios 6800 GT 256mb version 5.40.02.26.00. No stutters or freezes on my NEO 2.

- Edit i've released my bios file its at my website. Its been slightly modded by me. Tested by me to be working fine. Still can be risky though but maybe no more so than flashing a motherboard.

wiz
09-15-2005, 11:36 PM
read this Thread http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7215
my 6800 GT is on the GTU13 bios 435/1165 mhz

GTU13 bios = 1.3 volts http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=361763&page=2&pp=30 post 42

Millyons
09-16-2005, 12:19 AM
To resume my findings

As a probably best AGP motherboard for OC it still has too much drownings for me.

1. can't OC 6800GT w/o sporadical freezeing (NF3 + 6800GT :down: )
2. pctv vision has delayed video in full screen (seems to me that NF3 + pctv :down: )
3. very stupid place for CMOS reset jumper
4. hdd, floppy and MB power connectors in front of hyper 6 blower

This picture is from a old thread here but i cant find it, basicly a clear cmos switch made from a 3 pin fan connector and a simple switch...... i also made one (not nice as this one) and it works great..... i almost lost it somwhere since i didnt use for a long time but now with Neo2 it came in really handy. I used a ON/OFF Switch from a cheep toy and just soldered it to the 3 wires (jost got to make sure that the middle pin goes to the middle connector on the switch and the other 2 dont matter)

ps: Paradigma pozdrav iz BGDa

Paradigma
09-16-2005, 01:29 AM
can't OC 6800GT w/o sporadical freezeing

once again people this has nothing to do with the NF3 system, its just the way the MF3 system handles the fact that your overclocking your card furhter than what it can handle.
throw that card on any other system and it will lock up too or your system will just flat out reboot.
My pci-e GT is a piece of crap overclocker 400/1000 is the best it will do and if i got to 410 it will lock up also.

this has nothing to do with the nf3.. period. its already been proven and layed out that cards that do this are 1) pushed to far or 2) have really crappy memory and they cant handle the overclock, the 6800GT's have been plagued with bad memory chips since they came out AGP and PCI-E both do it.

On my Abit KV8 Pro (Via K8T800 Pro) this very card works perfectly. 400/1200 w/o artifact, with artifact 435/1335 (stok air cooling). So this particular card is over average.

http://users.vtkom.net/~benchmark/html/gf6800.05.htm

hyper 6 blower isnt the mobo's fault its the people who made the HSF

Offcourse, but layout is inconvinient to me. For instance Abit AV8 has much better layout.

yes VERY VERY stupid place for cmos jumper but do what i did.
i took a zip tie, and the pointed end i shoved in the Jumper so that it sticks and then i just grab that to pull off and on the jumper, I also took a solid piece of plastic and super glued it to a jumper so that i can push on the jumper and the plastic doesnt flex, which is what happens with the ziptie.
just make it long enough so that it sticks way out so you can grab it. there wasnt that easy ? and didnt take a brain scientist to figure out, cuz god knows im far from that!

I already solved this problem with the jumper from Abit AV8 which is long enough to reach it, even from the top of my SB Live! which occupy last PCI slot.

again PCTV is the problem not the NF3 go get a decent TV tuner PCTV is old and cheap go get a good one and maybe you wont have that issue

That same PCTV Pro works great with Abit AV8 (VIA K8T800 Pro), so that gives me the right to blame NF3 chipset for having this problem. PCTV is far from ideal but the situation with other TV tuner cards isn't pink too.

VaCreeper
09-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Howdy! I've been running my 6800 BFG GT OC @ 440/1600 using a modified ultra bios with no problems. If I can remember where I got the bios I'll post the link.

Creeper

ZeroSanity
09-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Whats all this about mouse/keyboard being disabled?

I have just upgraded my system (using a neo2 Plat) with a 4400+ x2 and other various bit & pieces and obviously i had to flash to the latest bios for cpu support.. the only problem is I CAN'T DO ANYTHING because the damn keyboard dosen't work.

With both ps/2 and usb keyboards i get the following message at the POST screen:

keyboard error or no keyboard present
keyboard is locked out - unlock the key

How do i fix this? My case dosent even have a keylock so what do i do?

Please reply before the GF gets home :p:

Thanks guys

el rolio
09-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Howdy! I've been running my 6800 BFG GT OC @ 440/1600 using a modified ultra bios with no problems. If I can remember where I got the bios I'll post the link.

Creeper

ooo i wanty wanty

ZeroSanity
09-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Downloaded your ballistix bios SIDEFFECT (yes i own 2gigs :))

But still no keyboard.

How do i enable it? If in involves another bios flash, which one can i use with my x2??

sideeffect
09-16-2005, 10:22 AM

Creeper

Why dont you get the bios off of the card :rolleyes:

sideeffect
09-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Downloaded your ballistix bios SIDEFFECT (yes i own 2gigs :))

But still no keyboard.

How do i enable it? If in involves another bios flash, which one can i use with my x2??

You have a USB keyboard i guess? Dont you have a ps2 keyboard you can connect then go into bios setup then enable usb mouse support then save then plug usb keyboard in and take ps2 keyboard out.

If you dont have a ps2 keyboard to do that ill make you a bios with it enabled by default.

ZeroSanity
09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey thanks for the help, i have both a usb and a ps/2 keyboard but i get the same post error with both.

Any ideas? Perhaps that bios mod would still help?

Maybe my ps/2 port is borked

:confused:

sideeffect
09-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey thanks for the help, i have both a usb and a ps/2 keyboard but i get the same post error with both.

Any ideas? Perhaps that bios mod would still help?

Maybe my ps/2 port is borked

Ok well its strange it wont work with a ps2 keyboard. I made a mod with usb mouse and keyboard support by default. You can download it in the thread you made at my site.

sinister1st
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
ZERO SANITY you can try and use your ps/2 keyboard and ENABLE usb k/b storage support in bios 1.b, even if you are not using usb and dont let it quickboot let it do a full read and see if that works. Let me know if it works because i cant go into my bios without a full shutdown UNLESS i have usb k/b storage enabled with my ps/2 keyboard. I want to know if this bug is common ive seen it pop up quite a few times at msi forums and i think MILYONS had the same problem. With usb enabled with non usb keyboard everything is fine on my pc. I also seen people having issues with usb 2 in bios 1.9 but all my usb 2.0 worked fine with it and i have never seen any of the other errors people have gotton in any of the latest bioses (except 1.A official i didnt even bother) So strange how people use the same exact bios and get different errors. I flashed 3 times the official bios 1.b and i know for a fact it wasnt a bad flash everytime it has to be a bug with the usb keyboard being enabled/disabled. Or maybe it could just be my keyboard but it is an issue that has happend to more than a few people ive seen floating around on the net.

ZeroSanity
09-16-2005, 11:27 AM
I cannot use my ps/2 keyboard atall! when i took the heatsink off earlyer to move the ram the cpu was stuck to the heatsink and it had just ripped right out of the socket. Everything looks ok and i ceaned all the paste away but now after putting it back and clearing the cmos it wont boot atall.. no monitor atall for any amount of time.. the cpu looks fine but i have no idea what has gone wrong. Also for some reason when i turn on the power switch on the back of the psu the pc turns itself on without me having to press the power button on the case. Which wasnt happeing before.

Any ideas? Faulty mobo? or death of a brand new cpu?

sinister1st
09-16-2005, 11:41 AM
DANG bro you went from bad to worse. :( I would take out the battery and a good long clear cmos. Looks like you have alot of troubleshooting to do. I havent had the pleasure of ripping the cpu out with the hs yet but it should be fine if the pins arent bent. Ive seen people do this before and the outcome was ok. :) I always give mine a good heatup before removal so this doesnt happen. If alls not well at least now you will have a good excuse to get new hardware :toast:

ZeroSanity
09-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the positive post hehe... i'm on it now and ifworst comes to worst ill buy a new mobo. :/

Millyons
09-16-2005, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=sinister1st]......I want to know if this bug is common ive seen it pop up quite a few times at msi forums and i think MILYONS had the same problem........QUOTE]

ya little ot from Zero's problem but ya i had the problem with not being able to get into bios from reset, although i didnt test it again with sinisters solution but ill post when i do to see if that helps

Garrett
09-16-2005, 06:01 PM
I thought I had killed my board tonight :rofl:
But my girl has a Neo2 so I decided to hotflash the damn chip :D

Flashed ok... but no boot?
Ah well, going to have to RMA anyway... but I'll just wait 2 hours or so, maybe something magical will happen.
And I'll be damned, the board is working again, still don't know why my (obviously good flashed) bios chip didn't work in her board but it runs again...

VaCreeper
09-16-2005, 06:43 PM
I can't find a link, but I have the Bios on a floppy. I've searched for GTU2(the name of the mod) and come up with mvktech.net, and that sounds right, but I can't find the bios there. How can I make it available to y'all?

PS..my bad, that's 1.16 mem. :rolleyes:

wiz
09-16-2005, 08:57 PM
GTU2 bios http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7215

Losphoron
09-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Garret: you didn't flashed the correct chip with the girl near.... :D.The girls have a chip too.Beware of the .....chips

Anyway i want to know if anyone here have an Ati card (eg: 9600) in combination with this board and then tried to get a stable system in games.I find that at 1.6v after 1h or 2h of playing for Eve-Online (www.eve-online.com) for example the game freeze and the VPU recover takes his action but i end up with a black screen with nothing on it but the music and sounds are working..I don't think is about getting warmed because the card is pretty cold..My opinion is the card don't like 1.6 voltage.If i do oc and the higher than 250mhz the windows don't start without 1.6volts setted on video card.I need to make more tests.

VaCreeper
09-17-2005, 06:26 AM
TY @ WIZ. That's the link! :D

Creeper

fullup3
09-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Ok, so I just got the msi neo 2 (non-platinum) yesterday and I must say that it is being mostly very friendly to me so far. It looks like the board came with the 1.9 bios and it has allowed me a very nice overclock so far. I am currently running my week 16 venice at 272 x 10 1:1 with some g.skills 2x512 @ 1t. Very happy with my cpu and ram overclock so far, but I am encountering a very strange problem when benchmarking.

My graphics scores in aquamark and 3dmark03 have dropped significantly. I am scoring 13000 cpu, but only 7500 graphics.
Has anyone seen this before....and does anyone have suggestions.
Could it perhaps be the bios version...maybe I should try another?

Peace

Havoc
09-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Guys, how are dual-core chips working so far with the Neo2? Stable? Can they overclock well on this board like the single core ones?

sniggle
09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
i flashed to the gtu2 bios for my bfg 6800gt last night and it seems fine, but my drivers are a little confused about the bios version.

http://funsicle.com/pics/bios_corruption.png

however, in the main nvidia driver section about the overall bios, it does get the version number correct (5.40.02.15.01).

edit: i should mention that i did the proper procedure of uninstalling forceware, driver cleaner, flash, then reinstall 78.03.

sinister1st
09-17-2005, 12:42 PM
@HAVOC these neo 2s are good with the dual core this is messing around at 1:1 with bios 1.9 official. Going to do some tests when I have time with 1.b official and im looking at SE's tccd bios, I am already looking forward to the next bios release :) .I dont really like all these little bugs people are getting here and there I like it perfect or nothing! :slapass: :) . Im not going to waise my time with a dfi board, ill wait tell the next best thing and then Im buying. :toast:

Havoc
09-17-2005, 01:44 PM
@HAVOC these neo 2s are good with the dual core this is messing around at 1:1 with bios 1.9 official. Going to do some tests when I have time with 1.b official and im looking at SE's tccd bios, I am already looking forward to the next bios release :) .I dont really like all these little bugs people are getting here and there I like it perfect or nothing! :slapass: :) . Im not going to waise my time with a dfi board, ill wait tell the next best thing and then Im buying. :toast:

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting a 3800 X2, but I don't want to change anything else on my system. So maybe I'll do it. I might overclock it a little bit (like 2400MHz max), so I don't think I'll have too many problems.

Ah, Would a Zalman 7000A-AlCu handle a 3800+ X2? Or do I have to use another type of cooling?

sinister1st
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I have a xp-90(& TORNADO loud as hell!) on mine and i got alot of fsb on the 9 multi with NO extra voltage easy (probably almost 2.4ghtz with no extra voltage.) 290x9 easy.

Losphoron
09-17-2005, 02:52 PM
sinister: i have a little problem if you can give me an advice..
my specs are
A64 3000+ venice cooled by an arctic freezer 64 ultra tcl
MSI k8n Neo2 1.B sideefect bios mod
1 samsung ddr 333 stick 256mb
1kingmax ddr 333 stick 256mb
radeon 9550xt from gecube
Aureon teratec 7.1 space
wd 120jb.

I booted and windows work without any problem with the settings 280x9 but in games come the problem.At that speed The Chronicles of ridick freeze in a record time (1minute) and in lower freeze after some hours playing.In eve-online for example i played two hours and the game freeze, vpu do his job reset the vga and i end up with working sound and black image.I must quit game and enter again...I think either the vga don't support the higher frequencies or memory...PCI/Agp lock is setted at 66 mhz.

sinister1st
09-17-2005, 03:27 PM
First set agp lock to 67 and try tweeking your voltages and timings i have a pretty low end 9600xt all-in-wonder on this rig and it runs fine while ocing. You can also try and mess with the ati/nv speed up but i dont remeber if that bios you are using enables or disables it by default you'll have to check , you might want to try some older drivers for that card and make sure you are using sata 3 or 4 ports. Have you tried using the stock xp ide drivers or nvidia drivers vice/versa? I dont use the nvidia ide drivers with xp only win2k but i havent tried them with bios 1.b yet. If you are stuck at 280 you have many options to try, but you should be able to get past that with alot of trial and error and those to sticks of ram you are using dont help you at all. Good luck :)

VaCreeper
09-17-2005, 05:50 PM
@Sniggle....you should be good to go. "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"

Cheers :toast:

Creeper

sideeffect
09-18-2005, 01:28 AM
For some reason the 3Dmark 2003 cpu test drops performance under the newer bios files compared to 1.8 bios for me.

Has anyone else observed this? Its something like 400 points down over 1.8 bios.

All the cpu specific tests i have run compare the same between 1.8 and 1.B and the graphics tests are also the same sort of results. Its just the graphics cpu test. :confused:

Losphoron
09-18-2005, 04:01 AM
with my system i get 1774 in 3dmark05 and 13383 in 3dmark01se.In 03 i didn't tested.

Rbreb13
09-18-2005, 07:29 AM
@ sideeffect!
Thank you!
I'm using the 1.b Ballistix BIOS you built and it works great so far. Currently at 10x250 (had to up the vcore a bit but nothing major). When I got this 4400+ X2 I told myself I would be happy if I could get to 2.5. So I'm happy! :banana:

sideeffect
09-18-2005, 03:56 PM
@ sideeffect!
Thank you!
I'm using the 1.b Ballistix BIOS you built and it works great so far. Currently at 10x250 (had to up the vcore a bit but nothing major). When I got this 4400+ X2 I told myself I would be happy if I could get to 2.5. So I'm happy! :banana:

Congrats Rbreb13 thats a nice speed for 2 x 1gb. Is that 1T or 2T btw?

Rbreb13
09-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Congrats Rbreb13 thats a nice speed for 2 x 1gb. Is that 1T or 2T btw?3-4-4-10 1T actually. I'm playing with timings now trying for more memory bandwidth (3-3-3-8 1T). Sandra shows 2CMD but at boot it shows 1t and thats whats set in BIOS.

sideeffect
09-18-2005, 05:08 PM
2CMD in sandra doesnt refer to 1T or 2T its another timing. Either that or the the function is broken. either way sandra always says 2cmd so ignore it. The bios is correct also Everest and a64 tweaker will confirm it for you if you feel you need to check.

Youve done well though to keep 1T at that mhz with 2gb of ram. :woot:

Try to set trcd of 3 its more likely to go down than trp is And helps performances more in my opinion. Also try a tras of 8 seems to be more stable with ballistix than 10 is.

4rory
09-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Ok, My name is rory and I have a problem.

A while back when my computer was running fine, I came on the forums and seen some new bioses, so I gave one a shot it was the tccd one, ok I had probleems right from the start, so I flashed back and ever since, everytime I touch my computer ie add a drive to back up or change some hardware My bios goes nuts, I've flashed back to 1.80modrev3 3 times already.

Anyways what happens is I try to boot and bios just keeps restarting, trying to get inot bios setting usally results in feezing as soon as I see the bios menu if I even get there or after a few (2-3) keystrokes every once and a while it will tell me cmos error f1 to contiune del to enter setup and sometimes it makes it to the raid checking screena dn realtec, very rarely do I see the dyi pooldate or something alone those lines, I have to reboot about 40 -70 times befor I can get to windows!

This has happed about 4 times now, today I bought a western digital 250 sata 2 harddrive and went to install it and boom. I am now in windows without the newhard ware after about 2 hours or trying everything I cleared cmos many times and took out battery let it clear for hours blah blah blah lol, this is really something else man, I'm thinking my bios chip has gone to :banana::banana::banana::banana: from to many flashses probably about 25, I flashed it again right now it can't be badly writen, I dont understand this.

Here are some pics. this happens sometimes when I'm in the bios menu or when it's just botting up this will happen about 10 out of 70 restarts sometimes i see werid things also like smiling faces, and sh-T it's werid.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/4rory/jesuschrist.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/4rory/tryingtobootup.jpg

Some one help me, I want this new drive running and want to get rid of this problem, it's also not the overclock just when i reset cmos everything goes abck to normal. specs are in sig. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Rbreb13
09-18-2005, 06:12 PM
2CMD in sandra doesnt refer to 1T or 2T its another timing. Either that or the the function is broken. either way sandra always says 2cmd so ignore it. The bios is correct also Everest and a64 tweaker will confirm it for you if you feel you need to check.

Youve done well though to keep 1T at that mhz with 2gb of ram. :woot:

Try to set trcd of 3 its more likely to go down than trp is And helps performances more in my opinion. Also try a tras of 8 seems to be more stable with ballistix than 10 is.OK Everest confirms the 1T. I'm running at 3-3-3-8 1T, 4x HTT, 10x multi, 230 MHz FSB, right now and working up my FSB. I'm stable in games and Windows, Memtest passes and SPi 1M. I'll Memtest overnight again.

sideeffect
09-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok, My name is rory and I have a problem.

A while back when my computer was running fine, I came on the forums and seen some new bioses, so I gave one a shot it was the tccd one, ok I had probleems right from the start, so I flashed back and ever since, everytime I touch my computer ie add a drive to back up or change some hardware My bios goes nuts, I've flashed back to 1.80modrev3 3 times already.

Anyways what happens is I try to boot and bios just keeps restarting, trying to get inot bios setting usally results in feezing as soon as I see the bios menu if I even get there or after a few (2-3) keystrokes every once and a while it will tell me cmos error f1 to contiune del to enter setup and sometimes it makes it to the raid checking screena dn realtec, very rarely do I see the dyi pooldate or something alone those lines, I have to reboot about 40 -70 times befor I can get to windows!

This has happed about 4 times now, today I bought a western digital 250 sata 2 harddrive and went to install it and boom. I am now in windows without the newhard ware after about 2 hours or trying everything I cleared cmos many times and took out battery let it clear for hours blah blah blah lol, this is really something else man, I'm thinking my bios chip has gone to :banana::banana::banana::banana: from to many flashses probably about 25, I flashed it again right now it can't be badly writen, I dont understand this.

Here are some pics. this happens sometimes when I'm in the bios menu or when it's just botting up this will happen about 10 out of 70 restarts sometimes i see werid things also like smiling faces, and sh-T it's werid.

Some one help me, I want this new drive running and want to get rid of this problem, it's also not the overclock just when i reset cmos everything goes abck to normal. specs are in sig. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi Rory, The 1.A or 1.B is a completely different bios to the 1.8. When you install it you have to clear cmos and often you have to unplug psu to make sure nothing is left behind from older bios.

Sounds to me like when you flashed back to 1.8 bios some of the roms remained. Download winflash from Here (http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html) Unzip it and add the 1.8 official bios to the same folder then open winflash and open the bios inside winflash. Click on options and tick update bios all and also tick clear cmos. Then click file and update bios.

After the bios has flashed turn off pc open up case and move the clear cmos cap thats postioned under the last pci slot from pin 2/3 to pin 1/2. Leave it for 5 seconds or more then move pin back to original position. Take the power supply lead out of the power supply for 10 seconds or more you will hear a sound of power leaving the motherboard.

Then plug the psu lead back in and start pc. It should now work fine.

4rory
09-18-2005, 06:42 PM
sideeffect, Yeah thats what i did the first 2 times I flashed back to 1.8mod used the windows based flasher with bootblock rewerite and clear cmos and then i would have to clear cmos cuz it would have a password :S This is something else, I've flashed 1.8 many times now and this isn't going away.

sideeffect
09-18-2005, 07:26 PM
xxmod (http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.msi-forum.de/thread.php%3Fthreadid%3D18888%26sid%3D0866044d7599 0af8fcf22feb68b2f498&prev=/search%3Fq%3D1.8mod%2Bk8n%2Bneo%2B2%2Bbios%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

Check out that link its a german translate it has a xxmod which adds support for entering disk setup and changing passwords that might have been applied.

XXMOD = XMOD + ATAsecurityROM

more information about ATA security rom is here (http://www.fitzenreiter.de/ata/ata_eng.htm)

Budwise
09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
im burning in my 3800 X2 at 2600 1.41Vcore right now. One bad thing is the X2's memory controller doesnt like 2X1GB to go too high. I can either run a divider or use 2T and its perfectly stable. I know its not the Ballistix cuz i ran them with my San Diego all the way up to 270 and they were fine. This board runs the X2 great though! I have hit 2700 already, but im burning in to get my Vcore as low as possible. I also tested my Neo 2 Plat by itself. I took it all the way up to 300FSB and it was still stable, great board, definately the best NF3 board out there. All this with 1.B Modded by Syar.

Temps dont even hit 50C at this speed!

Millyons
09-19-2005, 04:35 PM
well it seems that my mobo is showing higher cpu temps, this is a second venice cpu first was e-6 and this one e-3 that are idleing around 40 and load almost to 60 without stability problems (both maxT is 57).........this is with XP90 that was keeping newcastle at 1.7 volts up to low 40c at load.........ah ya and im sure that the hsf is on there good and AS5 applied good

ps: im using 1.a3beta moded atm are 1.8 better for e-3 venices than 1.b and is there any bios that is the best for BH5 2x512 or are they all the same after 1.36?

thanks

sniggle
09-19-2005, 06:31 PM
i must say that this gtu2 bios has really helped my card. i couldn't really get it higher than 385/1.05 for a long time (although i had it higher with my nforce2 board). this bios has helped me run stable at 410/1.09. i also re-seated my nv5 on the card, and i also very recently got an antec p-180, so those could also have something to do with it. :)

arnemetis
09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Hello everyone. I have built a pc for a friend with this board (non platinum) and for the life of me i cannot get the nvidia lan working! It installs fine, and i can change ip and see status etc, even cable plugged into my router lights up, but no good. It just sends poackets all day, cannot receive. i have tried different bios, different ethernet drivers, reinstalling windows, everything. I'm going out of my mind here, and I need to get this workign by the end of the week or i eat a $800 computer :( Please offer any help you can, 3000+ venice and 2x512mb corsair valueselect cas2.5.

Losphoron
09-20-2005, 01:33 AM
if it's not working get a external lan from your money (in the last and critical situation) and you will know that is not the board itself (20% to be the nvlan the problem)..The first thing is i don't really think the NVlan is the problem.I think the mac of your board must putted in the router mac list because if you don't do this the router will drop your packets.Pls explain your network topology and the equipement you use for it..More details.Thx

Losphoron
09-20-2005, 11:42 AM
i done some tests and it's pretty weird..In my opinion the results are a little bit low than the equivalent systems..I want your impression and maybe some other results from equivalent systems.
My rig:
-A64 3000+ no oc or fsb or something else
-768MB ram with two Kingmax Super ram (just changed the No-name one) modules in this specs: 1x 256 333 working perfectly at 400 and a 512mb Ddr400 The system is working at this timings 2.5,4,4,9 and is perfectly stable)
-9550Xt gecube
-MSI K8N NEO2 with Sideefect bios 1.B with memory timings setted to auto except the 2.5 that is setted manual..
Thx..

arnemetis
09-20-2005, 11:58 AM
my router is a netgear WGT624 108g. It is set to assign ip's automatically via dhcp, and does so for other pc's on my network and my mac laptop (pos). I am not using the mode that requires registered mac addresses...i bring pc's home all the time and plug them in and troubleshoot etc. I believe a netstat showed my mac address as ff.ff.ff.ff etc so i believe it is in fact a mac address problem. How can I change/repair the mac address issue? Thanks.

sideeffect
09-20-2005, 01:10 PM
i done some tests and it's pretty weird..In my opinion the results are a little bit low than the equivalent systems..I want your impression and maybe some other results from equivalent systems.
My rig:
-768MB ram with two Kingmax Super ram (just changed the No-name one) modules in this specs: 1x 256 333 working perfectly at 400 and a 512mb Ddr400 The system is working at this timings 2.5,4,4,9 and is perfectly stable)
-9550Xt gecube
-MSI K8N NEO2 with Sideefect bios 1.B with memory timings setted to auto except the 2.5 that is setted manual..
Thx..

Using a 939 motherboard and not running dual channel is just pointless. Whats the point of tweaking it even for a few points when your only using half the bus width.

The most important timings for memory on athlon 64 are trcd and trp you want those as low as possible. Because yours are at 4 thats why benchmarks will be low.

Dual channel ram at ddr 400 will get about 6000 mb/sec in sandra.

pazza316
09-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Guys could you answer me one question. I am new to this board and this thread is very long. Which Bios including Beta's is best for overclocking the Neo 2 plat with a Venice core 3000 A64 and Geil Ultra Platimun PC4400. Can you flash teh bios using winflash? Thanks for any help you can give me.

uniacid
09-20-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm really getting tired of this board, it'll lag in windows out of no where, mouse moves slow as hell and if I'm browsing a site it'll just start scrolling up and down, totally odd, anyways this happened to me twice when i got home so I decided to reboot except now it wouldn't want to post :mad: so I had to reset the cmos just to boot, ugh can't wait for an nf4 board :/

arnemetis
09-20-2005, 06:17 PM
first of all apparently this 1.B bios removed the nvidia lan's MAC address, so i fixed that problem. This is a request out to sideffect - could you make a 1.B mod bios with 150 divider working? i noticed 183 is there, but where 150 should be, its a blank spot. i selected it, and it acted like 133. 150 would be so perfect for this system im working on for a friend right now, thanks a lot for your great work!

sideeffect
09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
The blank space in between 133 and 166 is the 150 divider. I cant add text in there but it still works. It really is the 150 divider. Dont trust what the bios tells you it shows all maths wrong past 250 HTT. Use cpu-z in windows to tell you the ram speed.

Raillex
09-20-2005, 07:34 PM
A couple of quick questions here. First, are there any mosfets or pll chips on a Neo2 that get hot enough to benefit from RAM sinking? I felt every one I could find with my fingertips and didn't find any that were even remotely warm to the touch. Second, are there any bioses out there that have a working 216 MHz divider? I would love to try one out given the fact my RAM overclocks so much better than my CPU. Thanks.

arnemetis
09-20-2005, 07:37 PM
well, yes, it does in fact work. but there are problems with it i guess, thats why i thought it just didnt work. this cpu is fine 267x9=2.4, with 133 divider tho the ram suffers around 170mhz. 150 divider would bring me to a perfect 200, or darn close to it. the best i can get is 240htt with the 150 divider, giving me around 180mhz on the ram. 245x9 with 150 divider will not boot. i tried 240x9 to windows, same 180mhz ram, tried using clockgen to bump up, at 243mhz hard lock. i guess this 150 divider still has many issues, or my cpu just doesnt like it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Millyons
09-20-2005, 10:57 PM
what ram are u using, some ram (like old CH5) cant boot at 166 divider when mems speed is around 200mhz.....like htt 240 mem 200 - no boot but htt 200 mem 166 boots

arnemetis
09-21-2005, 07:17 AM
its corsair valueselect, 2.5-3-3-8.its weird, even at 250htt and 150 divider it wont post... :( illtry more voltage maybe later tonight, but i guess this wasnt the best choice in cheap ram.

TMM
09-21-2005, 07:25 AM
My rig:
-9550Xt gecube
Thx..
you need two MATCHED sticks of ram is slots 1&2 or 3&4 to run dual channel which will boost your sandra memory score to 5000+

sideeffect
09-21-2005, 08:24 AM
A couple of quick questions here. First, are there any mosfets or pll chips on a Neo2 that get hot enough to benefit from RAM sinking? I felt every one I could find with my fingertips and didn't find any that were even remotely warm to the touch. Second, are there any bioses out there that have a working 216 MHz divider? I would love to try one out given the fact my RAM overclocks so much better than my CPU. Thanks.

There is one chip just under the ide slots that gets very hot. I used a ram heatsink on it.

No 216 divider doesnt work yet. Maybe MSI will fix it maybe not :p

Raillex
09-21-2005, 02:20 PM
There is one chip just under the ide slots that gets very hot. I used a ram heatsink on it.

No 216 divider doesnt work yet. Maybe MSI will fix it maybe not :p

I poked my finger on every chip in the general vicinity of the IDE slots and still couldn't feel anything warm. I don't have any IDE HDs hooked up so that could explain it.

Are you aware of any other mobos that have working 216 dividers?

Losphoron
09-21-2005, 02:28 PM
you need two MATCHED sticks of ram is slots 1&2 or 3&4 to run dual channel which will boost your sandra memory score to 5000+

you mean 1&3 and 2&4 ...is clear in the book and on the mainboard..the colors must match to work..My mb is working by the book..If i put like you said i just end up in beeps..I tested..

sinister1st
09-21-2005, 02:45 PM
you mean 1&3 and 2&4 ...is clear in the book and on the mainboard..the colors must match to work..My mb is working by the book..If i put like you said i just end up in beeps..I tested..

I dont know about your mother board but the book is wrong. Maybe MSI has changed it, but dual channel works NOT MATCHING COLORS on my board. I have had mine since bios 1.3 :)

@UNIACID I also had a problem with my board and the mouse i was using. I would try another mouse and i bet the problem goes away. Especially if you are using a logitech driver. Last week i was using a logitech mouse on my brothers pc and it was making the screen shake and scroll like crap, as soon as i removed the driver it worked just fine with the native windows drivers. Those logitech drivers are usually old :( i dont know why they dont make newer ones and better ones more often. :toast:

Millyons
09-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Guys i REALLY REALLY need help..........

does anyone know of an alternate place pin for the VIO=VDIMM mod

i had the mod on but i wanted to redo it and when i checked how well it was soldered on the cap leg i twisted it a bit and took the pin off all the way to the pcb i tried soldering to the pad left but i couldnt. I know that i could replace the cap but im not up for that since i dont think my soldering iron is up for that.

so is there any place else that i could solder the 3.3 rail to since i got 3 sets of 2x512 BH5 and with 2.9v that the bios gives me they are horrid

this is what im thinking if anyone knows is its safe to solder the vio to one of the pins on the actual dim sockets like its done on some boards and not to the capacitor

thanks for any input by bh5 is hurting at 210

Millyons
09-21-2005, 03:07 PM
could one of these also be vdimm caps?

if they read same voltage on the + leg as the vdimm is..is it safe to solder the vio to one of them?

TMM
09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
It beeps because your sticks aren't matched.... you need two identical sticks, 2x256, 2x512 or 2x1g

el rolio
09-22-2005, 02:44 AM
hey guys, so i replaced my bh-5 with some tccd (ocz platinum rev2). so these clock different. first night of testing with memtest reveals that im good with 2-2-2 up to 210 but it seems nothing works after that. i get errors at the end of test 5 for 215 x 2-2-2, and even before all that i was trying with 2.5-3-3. i even tried 3-4-4. what am i supposed to do? should i try a diff bios than 1.8nfm? im on a winchester 3200.

el rolio
09-22-2005, 03:47 AM
ohhhhk, well would you look at this. after posting i went back and tried diff settings changin one at a time.

what was my result? 250x10 on cpu, ram auto-2.3-3-3-10 2.6v. thats right, i watched how the errors were popping up and reduced the ram voltage to TWO POINT SIX. so i guess i'lll go ahead and prime this for a few hours to see for sure.
the sandra bandwith is up big time now from my bh-5 which was voltage and heat limited to damn near 7000.

incidentally i tried out some diff cpu voltages thinkin that maybe running 1:1 would stress this here winchester mem controller but actually im back at my 1.45(.55 in bios) x 5.0% setting. producing 1.504v in cpuz (which sometimes reads 1.52 for a sec then back to 1.504)
by my calculator 1.45 + 5%(0.0725) = 1.5225 go figure

menlatin
09-22-2005, 04:08 AM
hey, well after figuring out my memory timing issues, im faced with another problem. my x2 3800 is doing 250x10 @ 1.31v right now, ram 208 3-4-4-8 2.85v. BUT my pic is running 41.5 !! I know my WD 60GB doesn't like high fsb's and i think my last attemp to go higher go me to 256 fsb, then a crash. My temps right now are 52-53 load, 40-42 idle. I know i know , HS needs to come off. We'll see about that later. But how do i get my PCI bus down???

sideeffect
09-22-2005, 08:22 AM
The pci bus is already locked. FSB doesnt exist with Athlon 64 its HTT.

The hard drive isnt the problem at high HTT.

boygenius
09-22-2005, 10:03 AM
@El Rolio, you could have gotten a DDR booster and keep your BH5. 250x10 would have been better on a tight 2-2-2-5 timings @ 3.4-3.6 vdimm. =)

Dr.Leary
09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
What does this option do? I have noticed that I get E0 with my Mushkin Redlines(CH5 UTT) and E8 with my Corsair XLPT(tccd)
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload3/biosbild.jpg

boygenius
09-22-2005, 11:35 AM
@Dr.Leary, what BIOS version r u using?

Dr.Leary
09-22-2005, 12:08 PM
1.B Official mod by Sideeffect

http://www.swjka.com/k8nneo2bios//70251B.rar

sideeffect
09-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Interesting I get E0 as well. Thought they were all E0 by default.

Well i have no idea what it does really. Heres some snipets from my forum about testing it.

Quotes are from Dave

"I discovered a very interesting thing with the "Bottom of 32 bit IO" . If you set it to "0f" or "1f" and run memtest86, it flies and is done extremely quickly. With the "e0" setting it takes around 15 minutes. Since 1f is 32 bits from 00 I just thought I'd try it"

"It asks for a hexidecimal number in the range from 00-FC. If 00-0F is equal to 1-16 (bits) then 1F=32 bits. I am just guessing here but found it interesting how fast memtest completed. Is it asking for entire mem range here?

One other interesting note: even if you change the "bottom of 32 bit IO" setting manually to another value, once you reboot it changes the value back to E0. Very cryptic."

TMM
09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I noticed a very odd thing reguarding my 6800GT and my Neo2 today. The higher i raise my AGP clock, the higher i can clock the core on my 6800. If i set 66mhz AGP, and press "detect optimal frequencies" on coolbits, i get 401mhz core. however, if i raise my AGP to 90mhz (yes my 6800 doesn't mind it :D) i get 434mhz core when i press "detect optimal frequencies". Anyone else get this? :confused:

D3kMatrix
09-22-2005, 09:01 PM
I noticed a very odd thing reguarding my 6800GT and my Neo2 today. The higher i raise my AGP clock, the higher i can clock the core on my 6800. If i set 66mhz AGP, and press "detect optimal frequencies" on coolbits, i get 401mhz core. however, if i raise my AGP to 90mhz (yes my 6800 doesn't mind it :D) i get 434mhz core when i press "detect optimal frequencies". Anyone else get this? :confused:

Is the actual stable OC any higher tho?

TMM
09-22-2005, 10:44 PM
yes about 430~ --> 445~

sideeffect
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
yep In all the guides for overclocking 6800 GT they have put agp to 81 mhz. Really does help. I Have mine set at 81 mhz and found it to be the most stable setting too. Any higher was less stable.

They also say in the guides to use 1.8 vagp volts but i found 1.65 was more stable. Best way to test is to use Nforce 3 clockgen to change the agp bus speed and core center to change agp voltage and use ATITOOL to scan for artifact.

Yep ATITOOL works on nvidia cards too. :p:

D3kMatrix
09-22-2005, 11:14 PM
hmm, im guna have to give that a try again.
I haven't tried running it at 81MHz again since I did the 1.4v BIOS mod.

el rolio
09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
@El Rolio, you could have gotten a DDR booster and keep your BH5. 250x10 would have been better on a tight 2-2-2-5 timings @ 3.4-3.6 vdimm. =)

yea. i own a ddr booster. since last year when i bought the ram itself. or january. anyways the point is everytime i tried to use it, whether on a rebuild or jsut a random weekend.... i ran into these problems.
1. the neo2 as you know... since you are in this thread... has dual channel sticks beside each other, effectively INCREASING the cooling power needed to cool the ram upwards of 3v. reason being is the heatspreaders are touching each other and just KEEPING the heat in. that bh-5 ram was hotttttt!
2. the ddr booster messed up my cabling. im a neat cables freak meng... tho most recently i sleeved the booster to try and get it done but with the routing i was gonna try and use it still wouldnt work. i also have a mostream psu... that some THICK cables
3. cuz of #1's point , i would need a fan to cool it. when i was on air using a xp-90, i was unable to get enough coolin from that. then i was unable to fit any big fans in the space between xp-90 and ram. i dont own anything less than the 80mm fan at that point. and lastly, when i did get a smaller fan, it introduced way too much noise into the mix and quieting it down (barely possible) did nt actually help cooling the ram.

yea so i had to make that decisioj it was hard. i wanted to be using my bh-5 but alas, my mobo and silent cooling needs werent meant to be.

kasius
09-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Hi:

Some time without see the thread and lots of new post!!

there are at this moment a BIOS who can do this:

183 divisor working with 2-2-2 timmings
More than 1.6v than my Winchi can do

I would be very happy with only this!!

Thnaks

Mehran
09-23-2005, 04:48 AM
Hi everyone.
So this is my first post in this forum.
And excuse me, I should begin with a question!
I have a nasty problem with this board:
I have the same CPU-Mobo that D3kMatrix has.
3200+ Venice and K8N Neo2 PL.
The problem is I can run the CPU @ 2630 stable.
I can also run it @ 2707 but prime says it's not stable.
I can't get it to run more than that.
Whats the problem? And of course my memories are always tested by MemTest. I know that there is no problem with my memories.
Just I can't get it to run at 2.8GHz. Why is that?
plz help me coz that's driving me mad!
Thx in advance.

Edit: After I set it @ 273*10 for example system won't POST.
I have set the HT @ 3 or 2.5 or so. Nothing changed. :(

Losphoron
09-23-2005, 04:49 AM
i have D0..And if i change to anything else it will bring me back to the default.

Mehran
09-23-2005, 04:51 AM
BTW I forgot to say I have to increase the Vcore to 1.65-1.70 in order to get it working @ 2707. I don't like that.Which version of bios should I use? Currently 136Mod.
Thx

Mehran
09-23-2005, 04:58 AM
D3kMatrix, How did u set the voltages in the BIOS?
I mean I can't do something that I run CPU @ 1.520!
I set the VID on 1.5, CPU runs @ 1.4. I use the (By x%) function but still won't get the result I want.
Plz help me with that and then I ask a question about my A400TDH!

Draxx
09-23-2005, 06:13 AM
1.45v is the max you can select, then the % over that value. I run 1.45v with 3.3% added to give me 1.475v.

TMM
09-23-2005, 06:18 AM
Hi everyone.
So this is my first post in this forum.
And excuse me, I should begin with a question!
I have a nasty problem with this board:
I have the same CPU-Mobo that D3kMatrix has.
3200+ Venice and K8N Neo2 PL.
The problem is I can run the CPU @ 2630 stable.
I can also run it @ 2707 but prime says it's not stable.
I can't get it to run more than that.
Whats the problem? And of course my memories are always tested by MemTest. I know that there is no problem with my memories.
Just I can't get it to run at 2.8GHz. Why is that?
plz help me coz that's driving me mad!
Thx in advance.

Edit: After I set it @ 273*10 for example system won't POST.
I have set the HT @ 3 or 2.5 or so. Nothing changed. :(
where memtest might indicate that you memory is ok, prime95 might fail. Prime is more sensitive to memory errors then memtest. If you can't get it stable at 2.7, then why are you going for 2.8??! :stick:

I think you've hit the limit of your chip on on your cooling, or it need more voltage. Not all chips clock the same, even with identical steppings

D3kMatrix
09-23-2005, 08:25 AM
D3kMatrix, How did u set the voltages in the BIOS?
I mean I can't do something that I run CPU @ 1.520!
I set the VID on 1.5, CPU runs @ 1.4. I use the (By x%) function but still won't get the result I want.
Plz help me with that and then I ask a question about my A400TDH!

For the screen shot in my sig while running 2850MHz I had it set to 1.45 + 5%. Which makes it about 1.5v for me.

Now for 24/7 I run it at 2800 1.425 + 3.3%

You sure ur chip is the same exact stepping as mine tho? If it really is u have the worst clocking APAW I've seen yet :P

What kind of cooling do u have? Temps?

If you need 1.7v to post at 2700, I say ur reaching the max of something.