PDA

View Full Version : Chilled Liquid Cooling

shadowblade1
09-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Hello, I'm going to build my first chilled liquid system in a month or two (as soon as i get some more money) and need help with the parts i will be needing.
first of all id like to keep the cost as low as i can,
so, what are all the things i need? these are what i can think of:

5k or so btu a/c
waterblocks: cpu/gpu what else? also what is nothbridge? connection on mobo form what to what? and does it also need cooling.
Tubing: Tygon? i heard they had good tubing
Insulation: what is the best insulation for tubes? also how should i insulate everything else? and protect computer compnents from any leakage?
clamps: no need to explain
Pump: Whats a really good, cheap pump? iv heard some stuff about the mag5, is it about 50-60 bucks?
res: 12-can cooler everyone uses
Fluid: denatured alchohol good? 100%? or mix? i cant use anti-freez (at least not poisonous kind)
anything i missed? think i can doo all this cheaply? any idea what it will all cost? thanks

saaya
10-01-2004, 10:41 AM
welcome to XtremeSystems! :)

the northbridge is the part of the chipset connecting the cpu to the memory and the videocard.

yes it should get some extra cooling if you want the max out of your system :)

tygon is good tubing.
tubing insulation... go to a homeworker shop and pick up tube insulation for copper tubes and a lot of straps and tape to fasten it to the tubes. make sure the cut of the insulation is sealed properly and air tight. you will know what i mean when you see the insulation.
protection from leakage? hmmm you can cover the sorounding of the parts you are cooling with liquid electrical tape :) ask for it in the homestore, its liquid gum that dries out and leaves a thin layer of gum.
no idear about cheap good pumps in the states, sorry. try to get an iwaki or look alike pump on ebay if you can, they usually cost 100-150$ though :o
what res are you using??
about the coolant... no idear... but double check if the tygons can take alcohol.

price... its really worth to save a bit as the price difference from "the cheapest setup possible" to "a kick-4ss setup" is procentual very small compared to the overall costs. get what i mean?

what costs do you mean? of everyhting? including rad and compressor?