PDA

View Full Version : Maze3, how leak proof with chilled H2O

JNav89GT
10-28-2002, 09:16 AM
I am nearing completion of my water chiller rig and will be using a Maze3 for the WB. Originally I was gonna use a copper top Maze3 but the guy I bought it from shipped it USPS 3 weeks ago and it's nowhere to be found. So I can borrow a friends maze3 but it has a poly top. I am kinda worried that the sub zero Celcius temps will wreck havoc on the rubber O ring and cause leaks. Any thoughts there.

Also another ?. This will be my first WC rig. I have flex tubing from casemod.com and it's 1/2" diam. Do I need to secure this tubing on the barbs with zip ties or is the interference fit enough?

originally bought a ViaAqua 1300 for my pump but friend that is giving/loaning me the maze3 is letting me use his Ehimem(sp?) pump-it's the biggest one they offer that I am aware of something like 600gph.
thanks

BermudaTriad
10-28-2002, 04:22 PM
i dunno about the poly-top block, but i'd prefer copper if you're using chilled coolant.

what kind of chiller are you planning to use, and how cold do you expect the coolant to get? if your coolant is more than 15C under the ambient temperature, you will, without a doubt, have a HUGE condensation problem on EVERYTHING the water is running through.

I've got a chiller that gets the coolant to sub-zero temperatures, and to prevent condensation, i've encased my waterblock in closed cell foam and 20mil PVC tape. I'm also using 1/2" thick foam tube insulation to keep the tubing nice and dry. Also, to be extra sure, i've got a neoprene gasket to go around the socket, and after the block is mounted, i wrap more tape around it all to keep air out (remember, the condensation comes from the water molecules in the air).

Also recommended for people using peltiers (which was my original intention), is to use your finger to press dielectric grease into the socket pin holes. this will keep air away from your CPU's pins, and thus protect them from condensation.

good luck! :)

JNav89GT
10-28-2002, 05:04 PM
i have a window ac unit i have transplanted the evaporator into a 26 qt cooler for my resevoir. I have the 1/2" tubing inuslation as well as alot of 1/2" closed cell neoprene around socket, and some 3/8" in the socket middle. the back side of board will be insulated as well. The block will be insulated with closed cell foam too. I think it will be sealed but we will see when it's assembled.

thanks

BermudaTriad
10-28-2002, 07:45 PM
make sure your cpu can seat properly with neoprene that thick in the center slug area. I prefer to coat the center slug area and around the socket in RTV silicone, and any neoprene i put in the center slug area is no thicker than 1/8", and of course with a hole cut in it for the thermal diode (if the board has one)

sounds like you've got your bases covered... don't forget about the dielectric grease! and some insulation on the back of the board couldn't hurt. I cover at least the BGA (socket pins on the backside of the motherboard) with silicone, and some neoprene or closed cell foam for peace of mind :)