PDA

View Full Version : If Futuremark Drops 3DMark2001SE From The ORB, Will You Still OC?

Kunaak
09-26-2004, 08:03 PM
3Dmark2001 seems to be the main thing that people use to OC with.
3dmark2003 always seemed to leave a bad taste with people. some like it. most are kinda "blah" about it.
2001 scores seem to garner the biggest interest, while big 2003 scores are nice and all, but don't seem to get the same response.

with 3dmark2005 just a few days away, I will be amazed if they hold 3 versions of 3dmark on the ORB, my thinking is, they will probably cut the older of the 3.
if that happens, then goodbye to 3dmark2001se.

but then again... if you look at the ORB statistics, almost everyday, 3dmark2001se gets atleast 3 times more submissions per day then 2003 does. the number of published 2001 score is also signigantly higher then 2003 scores.
so I would assume, the main traffic for futuremark still comes from the 3dmark2001se program.
I kinda doubt they would drop the program that generates the most traffic for thier website. thats just suicide.

so could they just drop 3dmark2003?
well, it would be odd to have 2 different DX9 benchmarks on the ORB...
so that does seem like a option.

it would be a good idea, if the decision was mine, to keep a DX8 benchmark, and 1 DX9 benchmark, especially if one generates the most traffic of all your programs.
afterall, traffic=exposure.
more exposure gets word around about your other products, so more exposure means more money.

I am just thinking out loud here.
not really saying anything, other then, if 3dmark2001se gets dropped from the ORB. Then half my reason for overclocking is gone :(
theres just no suitable benchmark to replace 2001se...

maybe aquamark3.

cause 2003 I never really liked.
I always thought it looked kinda jagged and poorly done.
3dmark2005 looks to be really brutal on even the toughest systems, so thats gonna ruin the fun of it, for atleast a year, before we have hardware available that makes the benchmark fun to do.
I mean, we are only now to the point where 3dmark2003 runs ok on just about anything without getting 10 frames per second or less.
when it came out, it was brutal on DX8 cards, and only slightly better for DX9 cards.
well, you know 2005 is gonna be just as brutal, as 2003 was at first.

so what will they do?
keep 3 versions of the same benchmark on the ORB?
cancel 1 version?
maybe 2 and just keep the latest version?

guess I'll find out in a few days...

Crow
09-26-2004, 08:09 PM
I hope they don't get rid of 2k1, its the best benching program out there :) . But you are right, the odds of them keeping 3 versions of the same benchmark, might be pretty small. Guess we will find out. :)

Edit: I didnt even answer the main question :rolleyes: . If they get rid of it, I will probably still overclock :)

Creep-DK
09-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Well i've been oc'ing for years long before 2k1, no way i will quit if they stop 2k1 :D

Kunaak
09-26-2004, 08:19 PM
I guess I don't mean it as extreme as "quit overclocking"

I just think, 2001se, is half the reason I do OC.
it's what I have the most fun with.
take that away, and then alot of my reason for trying so hard is then gone.
so what would I replace it with?

I don't know.
Aquamark3 is alot of fun, but thats a benchmark clearly in favor of Nvidia.
so I dont like focusing on it much.
Pifast and Super Pi are alot of fun, but not really a replacement for a good 3dmark day.
other then this, theres not much to benchmark with as far as 3d stuff goes.

|RickY|
09-26-2004, 08:23 PM
i'm with you kunaak, 3dmark2001se is the one and only

let's see 3dmark2005...

Rodzilla
09-26-2004, 08:26 PM
2001SE isn't the reason I started to OC... I wanted to have the fastest and most Xtreme PC in my circle of friends... Now I have helped all my friends to get up to my level and have created some OCing monsters!!! Muah ha ha ha!!!

Until they make it illegal I'm going to do it...

pfft... they make it illegal I'll prob do it even more!!! :lol:

Kanavit
09-26-2004, 08:29 PM
in my eyes, Aquamark3 replaced 3dmark03 as a overall gaming system benchmark.

3dmark05 should be 50/50 cpu /gpu dependant benchmark and should be very good. I don't like separate cpu tests like in 3dmark03. if Futuremark follows proper product dicontinuance, 3dmark2001 should be next in line to be retired. However, i feel that 3dmark03 is the benchmark that needs to go 1st. it's totally useless becuase cpu is not a factor in that test.

saaya
09-26-2004, 08:31 PM
they did it before with 3dmark99 and 3dmark 2000 :/

i hope 2001 stays! :)
as long as 2k5 is ok and doesnt look as bad and runs that extreeeeeeemely slow like the 2k3 test on the latest hardware when it was introduced, then its ok if they nuke the 2k1 from the orb.

the problem with 2k3 is imo:

1. it doesnt look very nice
2. none of the game tests look like a real game
3. it ran way too slow on the latest hardware when it was introduced
4. 2k3 performence doesnt seem to indicate how well the latest games run on videocards very well. probably as the benchmark only "looks" like a game but the engine works completely different than the d3 far cry or hl2 engine.

Poki
09-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Worm over in FM's forum said it looked like the 2001 orb would stay without any updates.
I guess they'll let it run until it simply does not work with most OS's and harware.

I personally can't wait to see what 3dmark05 is gonna be like...*wishing for the best*

spaceman
09-26-2004, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't stop benching if they discontinued '01, but like ya said, it would be foolish for them to do that. ;) I think if any get cancelled, it'll be '03. A lot of folks didn't like it, and lost some of their interest in benching. :(

Frank E. BoNeS
09-26-2004, 08:42 PM
I just might cry if they dropped 2k1 from the ORB. ;)

Honestly, I think they should drop 2k3 if thet're going to drop anything at all....it's pretty much been a letdown IMO. I'm really hoping for the best with 2005 though...:up:

blinky
09-26-2004, 09:13 PM
yes it would be a sad day if they dropped 3d01

like u said kunaak 3d01 is the most fun to bench with, and compete in. 3d03 is a big 'meh' for me

zakelwe
09-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm fond of GT1 on 03, but that is the game where the cpu has most influence. Maybe when nv50 / Ati R520 come out then there will be obvious cpu depcendency in GT2 and GT3 ?

Regards

Andy

HawainPanda
09-26-2004, 10:02 PM
hmmmm..i dunno, 3dmark01 doesn't look very impressive nymore..well, lol obviously, im not as.."hardcore" as many people here, but i doubt they'll stop 2001, that would be just...dumb

IamAnoobieCheez
09-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I kinda doubt they would drop the program that generates the most traffic for thier website. thats just suicide.

so could they just drop 3dmark2003?
well, it would be odd to have 2 different DX9 benchmarks on the ORB...
so that does seem like a option.

it would be a good idea, if the decision was mine, to keep a DX8 benchmark, and 1 DX9 benchmark, especially if one generates the most traffic of all your programs.
Excellent idea.

Retracting the '03 is good. (i mean, get it out of the orb, byebye astalabista)

Especially the highly competitive members in such forums like here need benchmark like this. 3dmark 01' is one of the highly used bench tool, as you all know it is a "system dependent" benchmark.

Quake 3 Arena is my second most desirable system benchmark.

afterall, traffic=exposure.
That is one of the best quotes i've seen. :) Kunaak rules. :D

I am just thinking out loud here.
please do. I like it...

Highland3r
09-27-2004, 02:24 AM
They'd be mad to drop it IMHO, its still a system benchmark, whereas 03 is pretty much gfx only (unless you get to stupid gfx speeds)
Maybe thats one of the reason FM seemed to upgrade their servers recently (or if they didnt, the ORB got a lot faster suddenly) to cope with a third benchmark on their servers...
3dmark 01 is still the tool used to assess overall system performance, so even if FM can it, it'll still be used for a fair while..

Noktar
09-27-2004, 02:30 AM
Yes I will.
3D Mark / Futuremark isn't the reason !
I'm overclocking my HW becouse I want a faster Pc for less money !
I also think AM3 is better than the FM Benches !
But I'm benching 3D Mark 2001Se/2003, SuperPi and AM3 !

Kanavit
09-27-2004, 07:44 AM
lets hope Futuremark don't let money corrupt its benchmark much like 3dmark03 did. Keep it pure and real! Only Macci knows how good it is atm, and from the looks of it. 3dmark05 looks to be better than its predecessor. I will feel bad , since it looks like 3dmark03 will be dropped. Alot of users here seem to like benching it.

BluD
09-27-2004, 10:05 AM
I hope 2k1 stays, aquamark is fun, but it benchies much higher then my 2k3 benchmarks, so it cant be testing the card as thourough as 2k3.

I hope they just keep the lot, untill its so outdated it doesnt help in overclocking your pc. Lets hope 2k5 will be the new 2k1, at least for the newer generations of CPU,s.

JWB
09-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Worm over in FM's forum said it looked like the 2001 orb would stay without any updates.
I guess they'll let it run until it simply does not work with most OS's and harware.

I personally can't wait to see what 3dmark05 is gonna be like...*wishing for the best*

3D2001 without updates.........does that mean 40k cannot be broken??? because I assumed they were going to have to update it to allow scores over40k to be submitted? 3Dmark 2001 should obviosly stay and 3d03 should be dropped, although so far 3D05 looks like a copy of 3D03 but with lower frame rates :mad: .

kromosto
09-29-2004, 10:41 AM
yes 2003 should be dropped thats the way

Rodzilla
09-29-2004, 11:21 AM
3D2001 without updates.........does that mean 40k cannot be broken??? because I assumed they were going to have to update it to allow scores over40k to be submitted? 3Dmark 2001 should obviosly stay and 3d03 should be dropped, although so far 3D05 looks like a copy of 3D03 but with lower frame rates :mad: .

That's not what I hve been hearing... 3D05 seems to be more like 2001... am I wrong here?

Dissolved
09-29-2004, 11:22 AM
I'll OC Till i Die!

:DDDD

MusicIsMyLife
09-29-2004, 11:54 AM
...I just think, 2001se, is half the reason I do OC.
it's what I have the most fun with...

Same here.

I don´t need the system for gaming, I can´t remember the last time I played. But I try to tweak it every day.

If they drop 2k1, I don´t know, what I´ll do then. :( Maybe hope for better times.

Tek
09-29-2004, 12:00 PM
It would be sad if they dropped 2k1, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. If my only reason for OC was one synthetic benchmark, then I would use the amount of enegy and money that I have so far. I mean, it is only one synthetic benchmark and one simple number.

In the end, games and application are what I am really interested about. 2k1 is just a good and simple indicator for what the performance gain could be, but still synthetic. I guess, I am not the kind of person that OC for the sake of OC and pretty numbers alone. I am not going to stop OC, until it really doesn't make a real world difference.

2k1 is old and credits goes to those that have made it, that it is still the best of the Futuremark benches. But games and applications are the real test ground for me. I wouldn't care about going from 20k -> 35k, if they wasn't any difference in gaming and other stuff. 2k1 isn't perfect either, far from it really. There are so many better theoretical ways of benching overall performance, though it would usually require many different ways of benching integrated into one(as well as it should be IMO).

For me as a newbie OCer and without a score ever been posted at ORB, I really wouldn't care if ORB pulled 2k1, though I know others would be more affected. Even if they did, an official site would just be made and the scores collected there. Futuremark isn't perfect in their implementation of the ORB either, and the allowed PS Null capable drivers really proved this, along with the WHQL okayed ATI drivers, that wasn't FM approved.

aNabolic
09-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Damn shame if they drop 2k1, personally 2k3 should be dropped. Its nearly 100% GPU, 3dm05 takes it place.

2001 is the best for all round performance, and comparison.

And Hell yea, I will always OC, if I couldnt do that I wouldnt have a PC. My XBOX does the rest :)

Mathias-K
09-30-2004, 01:16 PM
As always, very interesting post Kunaak...

I've just bought a TNT2 Ultra.. What a nice feeling to sit and bench the card i wanted so damn much when i was younger.. It cost like 500$ back then, and now i got i for 15 bucks :)

If Futuremark dropped the ORB, and by that, 3D2001SE, i think i'd consider stopping!

Overclocking old rubbish cards is cheap and fun :)

rick_fx
10-01-2004, 01:44 PM
OC forever :toast: