PDA

View Full Version : Terms and Abbreviations

skate2snow
09-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey,

This thread is to help the new w/ the meanings of the Vmod terms and abbreviation.

General :

PCB= Acronym of Printed Circuit Board
VR= Variable resistor
Vsense= PSU line that sense the voltage that the rail draws
IC= Integrated circuit
Cap= capacitor
SMD= Acronym of Surface Mounted Device, same as SMT
SMT= Acronym of Surface Mounted Technology, same as SMD
Traces= Lines printed on PCB that transmits electrical signals
V= Voltage in any form ex: VDimm meens Dimm Voltage
FET= Acronym of Field Effect Transistor
MOSFET= Acronym of Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transitor
CERMET= Acronym of CERamic METal
PWM= Power Management IC
Electrolytic= A fixed capacitor consisting of two electrodes separate by an electrolyte
Vdroop= The difference between the set outlet pressure at a flow rate of zero and the outlet pressure at a given flow rate. Meens difference between BIOS setting and IC control.
PSU= Acronym of Power Supply Unit *Not an actually Vmod related part, but is subject to be Vmodded*

Motherboard :

Vcore= CPU voltage
VDimm= Memory voltage
Vmem= Same as Vdimm
VDD= Chipset voltage
VAGP= AGP voltage **Not helping Video Card core and mem overclock**
VTT= 1/2 of vDimm (referred to as vbt on NF7)

Video Card :

VGPU= GPU voltage
Vmem= memory voltage
Vref= Reference voltage
VDDQ= 1/2 of mem voltage. Same as VTT/Vbt

Thats about it. If there is any abbreviation you dont understand that I didnt state, just ask...

Thanks

lalPOOO
09-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Good thread :up:

Kazoo
09-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Good enough to stick :)

rick_fx
10-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Very useful :)
Thanks

sh33p
01-08-2005, 03:19 AM
yeah what does igpu stand for?
as seen here: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/101

CaTalyst.X
02-04-2005, 09:09 PM
as far as i can tell what they mean w/ igpu is input gpu, the correct name is OCP, as it is an overcurrent mod and allows higher voltages by allowing more current to come through, as well as stabilizing the overclock. Hope this helped

-CaT

matt9669
02-09-2005, 05:06 AM
In the electrical world, "I" usually refers to current, so in most cases Ixxx and Vxxx would be referring to the current flowing through part "xxx" and the voltage across part "xxx" respectively.

Oh and BTW, PWM the acronym actually means "Pulse Width Modulation", which is a form of power management but is not used in every case, most applications these days still use linear regulator IC's.

Otherwise I give it this: :up:

skate2snow
02-09-2005, 01:08 PM
I know that it is Pulse width modulation, but if I say those words, it wouldn't help most of those who needs this thread;).

Thanks for the comments!

.::$k4T4N::.
02-23-2005, 01:16 PM
nice work!

is it true that agp v-core doesnt help ocing???

skate2snow
02-23-2005, 01:48 PM
There is no AGP Vcore.... But you may want to say Vagp/chipset.... That will not help Card OC but FSB OC (I said FSB, not HTT although it may help HTT)....

CaTalyst.X
03-12-2005, 12:43 AM
I have never seen a mobo get an increased oc to speak of from higher vagp, but hipro swears by the VAGP mod so it must be doing some good. I always understood that the whole point of it was because it somehow gave more voltage to either the SB or NB and helped stabilize the OC w/ higher FSB. But w/ vdd that shouldnt be a problem, however it still helps. I dont understand the whole VAGP thing but like skate said, raising vagp usually lowers max vid card ocs by creating unnecessary heat.

-CaT

JOSTech
03-19-2005, 08:11 PM
thx alot this thread helps alot
do u know anyother threads that has terms and Abbreviations

ohh and what is mobo :confused:

reject
03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
motherboard

skate2snow
03-29-2005, 02:14 AM
I have seen others, but the others was mine too:p:.... I orignally posted this at XR, they didnt really care about.... I just got a thanks with a poke stick saying : we already know that. And then copyed at EOCF where I got some real thanks and help by Cat.X who edited it it a little, and then posted it here.... What I find funny is that some copyed this thread on other forums to have credit...... They dont even say my name... like if they created it...lol

T07N
08-31-2006, 10:46 AM
This thread needs new terms added. Vmch - north bridge voltage.

mukmaster
04-21-2007, 08:03 PM
+1 for updating this thread

WRC
04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
what are the mosfets used for? and are they next to the cpu? somebody claimed one of them blew out during overclocking and almost killed the cpu :slapass:

cozwin
07-04-2007, 05:08 AM
good guide here will help many noobies and maybe even most members.

sandy
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
nice sticky:up: