PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVD's has become INCREDIBLY SLOW.... why?

Semper Fi
09-20-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm using a Plextor 708 DVD+R burner to copy DVD movies. The ripping process still takes just as long as it always has, about an hour, but lately, the burning time has gone up to MANY HOURS for a single DVD, sometimes freezing completely.
It use to only take the thing about 7 and a half minutes to burn an entire single layer DVD+R 4.7gb disc, now its taking at least a few hours, and sometimes it will just stop burning at 90% and stay there.

I'm using NERO 6 Ultra to burn, and DVD Shrink to rip and compress. Never had any problems before this. What could be causing this?

aprindle
09-19-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm having the same problem, I've been searching all over for an answer, nothing yet

punisher69
09-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Lack of Hard Drive Space and/or the hard drive needs defragged. thats what first comes to mind.

Movieman
09-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Lack of Hard Drive Space and/or the hard drive needs defragged. thats what first comes to mind.
Agreed, I make a partition of 20 gig JUST for ripping and encoding.
Delete all and defrag when finished with a project.
Check for bad sectors on the HD.
If those aren't your issues, maybe the dvdr is an issue.
How many hours on the unit?
Are you a smoker? Smoke can accumulate and effect the unit.
I like Nero 6.6.15 but just for cdr's...version 7 has turned into a Roxio clone.
For dvdr's I use dvddecrypter to rip. Pinnacle Instant copy to encode and then burn. A bit slower but perfect results every time.
Best of Luck!

kimbo
09-20-2006, 02:10 AM
You guys use DVD-R's or DVD+R's? I read that the - ones are more compatible, so why would anyone use the + ones?

berk
09-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Is it because its stuck in PIO mode?
Take a look in your device manager.

Movieman
09-20-2006, 10:25 AM
I use the dash R's..but that goes way back to when they first came out and the dash R's were slightly more compatible.
Technically the +R's are a better format and hold slighty more data.

kimbo
09-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Cool thanks movieman, I guess they are about neck to neck when weighing their adv/disadv.

uOpt
09-21-2006, 03:44 AM
Semper Fi, did you install any games with Starforce copy protection in the last year?

Installing is sufficient, even if you don't play. Uninstalling doesn't matter either.

aprindle
09-21-2006, 11:21 AM
For me, the problem isn't HD space (60+ free on a brand new raptor) nor is it a fragmentation issue. I've checked the Settings for PIO mode, not an isue, it says UDMA 5. No smoking. I'm using nero 7, could that be the issue? In my case I've got a pair of sony 16x burners, and when I chose speeds in nero 7 (other than maximum) the highest available option is 2.4x. Oh, for the record, they are new burners, and never went faster than this. Thought I should RMA them to newegg, but what are the odds that both have the same problem, one so many others have, and it's a hardware issue? not likely, there's got to be something I'm missing

I've read of others having this problem, and the only thing people say is "your in PIO mode"......... but a lot of the people having this problem are UDMA.

uOpt
09-21-2006, 01:41 PM
So, any StarForced games?

You know the whole point about Starforce is slowed down burning (oversimplified)?

aprindle
09-21-2006, 03:54 PM
none

syne_24
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
been using Fuji - R for awhile now. I have NEVER burn a dud before on it. Very realiable. But this doesnt seem to be a media issue but more like hardware.

Semper Fi
09-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Whatsup guys, thanks for all the replies. If you notice, the message I originally posted was 2 years ago, I don't even remember my old PC having that problem. ;)

Thanks for the replies though and good luck to you guys

Movieman
09-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Whatsup guys, thanks for all the replies. If you notice, the message I originally posted was 2 years ago, I don't even remember my old PC having that problem. ;)

Thanks for the replies though and good luck to you guys
Kick me in the as* and call me stupid, I never noticed the date of your orginal post!:doh:

syne_24
09-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Kick me in the as* and call me stupid, I never noticed the date of your orginal post!:doh:

hahah I was just the blind following the blind myself..;)