PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! 2x 512MB Corsair XMS3200-C2 rev 1.1, 4G4A+ no work :(

Mr Footlong
10-26-2002, 05:41 AM
Hi folks, this could well be posted up in the memory/storage section, but I wanted you lot to really see it :)

I have a really, really annoying problem with my current setup:

Epox 4G4A+ i845G Motherboard
Intel P4 2.2 Northwood
Leadtek Ti4600 Graphics
SB Audigy
2x Corsair 512MB XMS3200 Cas 2 Platinum rev 1.1 Series Dimms, both supplied by Overclockers.co.uk.

Now here is the problem. The board will not work with both dimms in whatsoever. either 1 on it's own is 100% perfect. Put both in, either bleeps, or a boot up and full count of 1 gig of ram then freezing on the post boot info display with just a flashing cursor, or boots with black text on a white screen and the same no boot result.

It doesn't matter what slots you use, be it 1 and 2, which support running 512, double sided sticks, 1 and 3 or 3 and 2. No workee:(

I have tried upping the default voltage on the dimms to 2.6 then 2.7, but no difference.

Now this is running at both DDR354 and DDR266 speeds :(

I built a machine for my housemate with exactly the same mobo, but with a Gainward gf4 Ti4200 and a Live! 5.1 card. Exactly the same results on his machine too..........

I spoke to the guy's at Overclockers, but no one seemed even slightly interested tbh.

I am soooo peeved that I have 1/2 a gig of ram lying around that I want to use, should be able to use, but can't and cost a bomb!!!

Does anyone on here know of issues with thie RAM and i845 boards?

Originally, I had 2 512mb sticks of Samsung DTL DDR333 in her and there were no problems whatsoever, I just wanted the best ram :(

Cheers,

Nick :)

TheDude
10-26-2002, 06:14 AM
While the 4G4A has three DIMM slots, you need to have special care in your DIMM assignments. DIMM slot one takes up banks 0 and 1. DIMM 2 and DIMM 3 both share banks 2 and 3. If you put a Double sided DIMM into DIMM 2, DIMM 3 is unusable.. DIMM 1 is of no consequence, you can use any type (Single sided or double sided). In all, a maximum of 2GB DDR SDRAM is supported. (I ripped that from a review on the net) but you said you tried all combos? Sorry, not an Intel guy, but the board got very good reviews. Someone will probably be along who is running this board to help you soon.

Galifrey
10-26-2002, 12:42 PM
it wont run above 166mhz with one stick of corsair 3200 either...

I downgraded from corsair to sammy to get it to work...

they will work in an IT7-MAX2 tho... probably work in new granite bay mobos as well....