PDA

View Full Version : The WaterChiller Project

kostas7gtr
09-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi, i always wanted to cool my pc and gain the max performance i can get from it. Before a few days i found a small fridge on the road that was waiting for me :p: I removed the compressor and took all the stuff i needed home. The Compressor was "Empraco PW 5.5A". I powered it and it stard working ! :p: It was very old as i understand and it made strange noise sometimes :rolleyes:

kostas7gtr
09-15-2004, 09:49 AM
I started and found the pdf for the PW Series of "Empraco" products but i couldnt find the specific model. The pdf says that the PW series is for R22 and R134A freon. I was not sure and i changed the oil for use with R134a. The oil that i removed was as black as a night without moon and stars !!!! :confused: Nevermind. The other day i bought the stuff i needed and starded the construction of it

saaya
09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
welcome to XtremeSystems kostas! :toast: :yippie:

looks very nice and clean! any idears how strong it is? have you tried it already? what was the lowest temp you reached?

kostas7gtr
09-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks Saaya :)
Well the motor is probably damaged or so because there is a strange noise problem. Also the evaporator (3m 1/4" coppertube) reaches low temps and gets frost after 10 minutes but wants at least 20 minutes to get to 3-4c. The discharge tube doesn't even get warm so the compressor doesnt pumb as it should... :confused: Nevermind i will try to make what i can but the final project will be with R404 and the target will be -20c at full load on my P4 3C.... :D

kostas7gtr
09-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Now i will show some pics of the tank isolation.... :D Stay tunned for more

Shaman
09-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Nice job man!!
Bring it on!!! :toast:

kostas7gtr
09-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Nice job man!!
Bring it on!!! :toast:

Thank you Kostas. I will inform you asap. :toast:

PS:Και στα δικά σού :p:

saaya
09-16-2004, 02:51 AM
hmmm maybe theres too much or rather not enough coolant inside the compressor?

cant help you with that :( sorry, but ask the people in the phase change section, they know a LOT about this and will def help you :D

kostas7gtr
09-16-2004, 08:13 AM
I dont think so because i tried to fill it with less freon and got the same result. I am sure the compressor is problematic but i will do my best :D

Tonic
09-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Wilkommen zu XS, kostar

Even you had changed old oil to new, it didn't help with compressor's loud?

By the way, units with syntetic oil (R134a, R404a etc.) are something
more loudly than units with mineral oil..

kostas7gtr
09-17-2004, 01:38 PM
No my friend it didn't lower the noise. Anyway i bought new Compressor for R404 !!! :p: It is an 3/8hp Electrolux MP12FB !!! Targeting for -30 for the fluid and -15 to cpu at full load :p:

saaya
09-17-2004, 04:15 PM
sounds good!

good luck :)

bh2k
09-17-2004, 05:47 PM
You don't need to insulate your service shrader.

gkiing
09-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Your filter drier is on wrong. It should go Compressor discharge --> top of condenser --> bottom of condenser --> filter drier (filter drier pointing down so liquid drains with gravity) --> cap tube --> evap --> suction line on ccompressor.

The discharge from the compressor MUST go to the top of the condenser otherwise the condensed liquid wont be able to flow out and you will have oil return problems (in other words, it wont condense from bottom to top).

kostas7gtr
09-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Your filter drier is on wrong. It should go Compressor discharge --> top of condenser --> bottom of condenser --> filter drier (filter drier pointing down so liquid drains with gravity) --> cap tube --> evap --> suction line on condenser.

The discharge from the compressor MUST go to the top of the condenser otherwise the condensed liquid wont be able to flow out and you will have oil return problems (in other words, it wont condense from bottom to top).

ΟΚ! Thanks for the info! :p: I will try it on my new construction with the Electrolux Compressor for R404 ! Stay Tunned ! :toast: