PDA

View Full Version : P4 temp w/o heatspreder ??

Henry
10-25-2002, 09:40 AM
With or without headspreader, which one that give lower temperature ??

Thanks !!

docah
10-25-2002, 10:08 AM
I think JC has one without the heatspreader. I think he had trouble getting good contact with his prometia. I'm not sure how a normal heatsink would fare.

AndrOvr
10-25-2002, 10:11 AM
Im using a 1.8a w out HS. w STOCK Intel cooler :P

Henry
10-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Thanks docah :)

AndrOvr, how's your temp w/ and w/o heatspreader ?

Anyone ??

AndrOvr
10-25-2002, 10:18 AM
I never got it w HS... :P

PiLsY
10-25-2002, 11:48 AM
Temps are lower without, BUT the heatspreader seems to do exactly that. Certain areas of the cpu heat up more and quicker than others. This leads to heat buildup in some places on your heatsink. I use mine spreaderless on the prometia at the moment (waiting for a copper coldplate) and anything over 3.4ghz / 1.5v and I start to get AS2 burning right above where the L1 cache is on the die. Temps remain low, but this one area heats up hugely and actually impedes overclocking. My advice would be that unless youre using air cooling (smaller temperature difference between chip and heatsink) witha copper or thick aluminium heatsink then dont do it. It doesnt make THAT much difference anyway.

PiLsY.

Henry
10-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks PiLsY :)
I use watercooling (Maze-3 waterblock). How many degree lower you get without heatspreader ?
Is it easy to put the heatspreader back ??

PiLsY
10-26-2002, 04:41 AM
It is easy to put back but you never get as good a contact afterwards.

Let me rephrase what I meant above.

P4s are better without the heatspreader on a low efficiency (ie hot running) system. Something like a silent zalman cooled system. The reason for this is theres les of a temperature differential between the warm parts of the cpu and the cold parts. When you get to high end air cooling it seems to make naff all difference (tested w/ an Alpha), but when youre water cooling it actually performas worse. Temps are lower but its less stable. You get lockups when going OFF load. With sub zero cooling its a real deficit. You get higher clockspeeds, lower temps but CONSTANT lock ups when your cpu goes from load to idle.

Its really not worth it unless youre aircooling. Im going to replace the spreader with a copper hotplate (pretty thin though - about the same depth as the spreader) so I get the benefit of a heat spreader, but also gain by using copper rather than alloy.

PiLsY.

Henry
10-26-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks Pilsy :toast: :toast: :)