PDA

View Full Version : The contest of all contests... contest.

Charles Wirth
09-13-2004, 05:59 PM
First contest of the contest of all contests will be a contest on who can devise a new contest that is fair for all forum members, new and old. We want crazy and fun ideas on give aways.

Contests must be complete, fun, cheat proof, fair, and simple to organize.

The best 10 ideas will win a OCZ DDR Booster provided by OCZ Technology (http://www.ocztechnology.com/)

This contest will end in 30 days, October 11'th

Second contest of the contest of all contests will be compressor "shot put" competition. You gotta have skills, a video camera, a refrigeration compressor, and the ability to judge or measure distances. First five entries will win a Chilly1 evaporator.

You gotta do three spins, be video taped, and show impact site to be a valid entry.

If you need encoding assistance just ask, this is the skills part. XS :rocker: Staff are welcome to compete in the shot put competition.

2fast4u
09-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Where do we submit video for contest #2? I have a couple I would love to "chuck"!!!

neyoung
09-13-2004, 06:40 PM
My contest idea...

Use any food items to replicate the XS logo or anything else extreme. Food items can consist of anything that you can eat, condiments, raw or cooked food, liquids... you get the idea. You must post a picture of your artwork to be entered into the contest. A list of the food you used might be fun too :)

Charles Wirth
09-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Post a link to the video, if you need storage for the video we can provide it.

megahurtz-oc
09-13-2004, 07:01 PM
how about a contest where you destroy a peice of computer equipment moniter,case, cpu, graphics card, phase change unit.....etc. and the winner is the one that most violates the equipment. oh the stress reilef that would bring. sledge hammer comes to mind. oh wait i can get a wrecking ball. hmmmmmmmmm the ideas keep coming. and video tape it. now that would be amusing.

Kazoo
09-13-2004, 08:02 PM
A wreaking ball? Uhmmm what kind of equipment do you have over there Megahurtz? LOL

Keep the ideas coming!

texuspete00
09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
1. How about lowest score in 3dmark? I'd imagine that would be a struggle between scoring low but still completing the test.

2. Or just getting a score in 2k1 with the lowest specs possible. So here cooling etc would come into play as maybe you can coax otherwise incapable hardware into completing a test. :D Like a P1 at 500MHz or something silly like that. Lowest specs to get 1k or something could work as a slight variation if most anything can complete the test just with a silly low score... Im not too familiar with running 2k1 on P1's :P. You get the idea. Users might have to vote one the most impressive "low spec" since a system has multiple parts, a human element is probably needed to pick a winner. Basically pick a score, or just the fact that you get a score, and see who can do it with the worst stuff.

megahurtz-oc
09-14-2004, 11:50 AM
think ill do a burnout with the dragster on an old video card and film it. or apply massive volts to a hard drive until it grenades. wonder how fast a 7200 rpm hard drive would spin with massive volts.

bias_hjorth
09-16-2004, 09:24 AM
1: As far as I know most of the people in here own some sort of pet -- How about a contest where you´d dress the pet up in the most geeky outfit (tshirt, glasses etc) and place it in front of the computer looking at the monitor .. That could result in some really funny and cool pics.. :banana4: :D

Kazoo
09-16-2004, 03:39 PM
hmm...I suppose if you don't have one, you could borrow one. ;)

skate2snow
09-16-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure that is this is what you are looking for, but I'm sure it whould work way better here.

My Idea for a competition was this : We have diffenrent categories of Competition choosed by Video Card abilities. And you say a score at a specific time for a specific duration, and the first or closest of the score in the time goes up and the others goes down. Several could go up till the big winner wins.

Exemple : 9800 series, have to hit the score : 19673.

Understand? To me it was looking like a fun competition, but it kinda failed, but I should rethink about in a few weeks if you dont take that Idea....

geoff2k
09-16-2004, 05:57 PM
How about: the mods pick 10 integer numbers via random.org between 1 and whatever the highest ORB 3dmark01 score is on that day. The 10 integers generated will be target 3dmark01 scores and are kept secret for the duration of the contest.

Entrants would then submit screenshots of three 3dmark01 scores. The goal would be to hit one of the 10 secret scores. If a particular secret score were not hit directly, the closest score to it (without going over?) would be considered the winnner. If there were a tie, the person to first submit the particular score would win (or you could flip a coin, or let random.org decide).

blinky
09-16-2004, 09:16 PM
how about contestants have to hit a series of 3dmark01 scores but specifically on the dot, for instance someone would have to hit 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 or something, or it could be non even like 14256. so a person would have to tweak perfectly to get each of the scores.

or you could have a most innovative cooling solution contest, thats voted on by members

aoc007
09-16-2004, 11:39 PM
or apply massive volts to a hard drive until it grenades. wonder how fast a 7200 rpm hard drive would spin with massive volts.

Already did that, it was fun :D

bias_hjorth
09-17-2004, 03:10 AM
hmm...I suppose if you don't have one, you could borrow one. ;)

hehe yeah sure one could ^^ :)

Liquid3D
09-17-2004, 04:58 AM
How about a contest in which you devise a way to unlock a Pentium-4 multiplier. Obviously can't be an ES, and the processor must then be mailed to staff of XS to replicate the experiment. I'd pressume you would be modding a motherboard as well, and that would be an acceptable method.

:toast:

And TexusPete2k2's idea sounds good. I wonder if you could score so low with 3DMark03 or 3DMark2001 that you could score negative numbers. I think my Sapphire X800 Pro would do that right now in the state it's in, hehe.

:banana4:

Jrocket
09-17-2004, 12:37 PM
How about a contest for the best custom paint job! This would be for a custom paint job on a case, monitor, speakers, mouse, or keyboard; or all of the above. I would really like to see what xtreme looking hardware we would get from it! From tight decals and logos, to sleek mettalic or even to multi-colored paint jobs!

texuspete00
09-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Got another one... obtain a pic of the dustiest computer you can find. You know go up to that "special" computer user in your life and take a peek at their box. :D I like it because it would hard to fake.

I just thought of this because I've been lazy but I just checked out my case and it was quite embarassing what I found. Not contest good though. At least I hope no one would win this because of their own pc here!

L0$t Pr0PhEt
09-17-2004, 02:02 PM
You have to get the lowest 3dmark01 score in categories by underclocking your cpu,gpu, timings etc to the absolute minimum. I never saw a 10mhz amd xp :p

cetoole
09-17-2004, 02:25 PM
How about the fastest system that is fully passively cooled. You would have some xtreme modding done, with heatpipes and heatsinks everywhere, no fans. That would be cool (hot) and reqire pictures, parts, and screenshots to show stability and temperatures.

Rabbi_NZ
09-17-2004, 03:18 PM
1) "Component Logo Contest"
How about a contest to see who can come up with the best XtremeSystems logo made entirely of components... winner(s) get their creations posted on the front-page of XS. (along with whatever prize is also in stock for them)
Old mobos,ram,harddrives,heatsinks etc could be used.
Several pictures of the finished product are sent in to give a good view of it... then the members here vote for the winner in a poll.

2) "CPU BBQ"
Contestants have to come up with a BBQ design that uses ONLY PC components... obviously plugged in and running so they generate heat.
You could use a quad-xeon system with one big passive heatsink covering them all (as the grill :)), the close the case/bbq to get those temps rising.
Contestants have to cook a piece of prime Eye-Fillet steak as close to medium rare as possible.
Venue will be my back yard, and I will be the judge.... mmmmmmmm steak.

mcnbns
09-17-2004, 03:39 PM
How about a competition to see who can come up with the best "Top 10 Things One Shouldn't Overclock" list? Or maybe it could be a "Top 10 Ways Not to Overclock" list. Those could be interesting...

skate2snow
09-17-2004, 04:46 PM
It whould need to be something everyone are able to do, and something that is about tweaking. IMO.

The Ideas that people said about the contest I suggested are great too.

9mmCensor
09-17-2004, 05:03 PM
A propose a simple contest, that uses little of things of material, but lots of creativity, and perhaps boldness (to actually venture outside ;) ).

Simply put the contestant should place an XS 'tag' of some sort of public place, to premote Xtreme Systems and overclocking in general. Therefore it should be something like putting a banner up saying something to the Effect of " XTEME says it all - www.xtremesystems.com - a message from you friendly neighborhood overclocker - 9mmCensor".

Keep the ideas coming, they are quite good mates.

aoc007
09-17-2004, 05:08 PM
A propose a simple contest, that uses little of things of material, but lots of creativity, and perhaps boldness (to actually venture outside ;) ).

Simply put the contestant should place an XS 'tag' of some sort of public place, to premote Xtreme Systems and overclocking in general. Therefore it should be something like putting a banner up saying something to the Effect of " XTEME says it all - www.xtremesystems.com - a message from you friendly neighborhood overclocker - 9mmCensor".

Xtreme griffiti, lol, we should start a gang ;)

9mmCensor
09-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Second contest of the contest of all contests will be compressor "shot put" competition. You gotta have skills, a video camera, a refrigeration compressor, and the ability to judge or measure distances. First five entries will win a Chilly1 evaporator.

You gotta do three spins, be video taped, and show impact site to be a valid entry.

If you need encoding assistance just ask, this is the skills part. XS :rocker: Staff are welcome to compete in the shot put competition.

I lack a comprssor, can I substitue a 15" CRT?

Crow
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM
How about a contest who can put a pc together the fastest? You would have to get someone to video it, not edited, and start from scratch and see how fast it is put together. I am sure there are some people here who could do it really fast. And once its put together you have to show it booting up to set up the hds etc. That would be cool if ya ask me :P

aoc007
09-17-2004, 08:41 PM
How about a contest who can put a pc together the fastest? You would have to get someone to video it, not edited, and start from scratch and see how fast it is put together. I am sure there are some people here who could do it really fast. And once its put together you have to show it booting up to set up the hds etc. That would be cool if ya ask me :P

Maybe who could build a computer fastest from scratch and then benchmark it? (fastest from parts to benchmark) I'm not quite sure if thatd work end up working tho...

L0$t Pr0PhEt
09-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Or try to have the noisiest computer by using allot of fans and old hdd's :p

skate2snow
09-18-2004, 03:53 AM
I love the computer building Idea. But not the benchmark one because some have some way better computers then some can afford, and the primary target in a contest is that it is fair....

Crow
09-18-2004, 07:13 AM
I just say build them, and let them boot up :), because some peoples computers arent like OPPS or Fuggers :P, it would just to see who has the most skills at building them fast :)

Highland3r
09-18-2004, 01:10 PM
One that'd show skill is maybe a stock bench -> max OC bench? Use the %'age increase over a number of tests
Say Superpi/pifast, 3dmark01 and 3dmark 03? So for those with X800pro's, and those with Geforce 2MX's both could win as its the increase than counts not the scores :D

Stock would be optimised defaults in bios, with all mods removed or switched off, and max bench well, as it says :) (but the same speeds for all tests obviously not GFX clocks for pifast/superpi tho)
Each set of results requires a voltage shot, cpu-z shot, card clocks (where applicable) and the result of the test

Crow
09-18-2004, 01:49 PM
you guys actually think its a good idea? wow :) cool, I have always wanted to know how fast a pc could be put together and work.

aoc007
09-18-2004, 03:49 PM
It sounds good but Im not sure if it will end up working.

blinky
09-18-2004, 09:16 PM
the logistics are tough, and not everyone has a video camera

i hang with some dudes who do graffiti in SF, and some of them are insanely good, like amazing stuff they do

aoc007
09-18-2004, 10:49 PM
the logistics are tough, and not everyone has a video camera

i hang with some dudes who do graffiti in SF, and some of them are insanely good, like amazing stuff they do

Yeah not to mention encoding, and all the bandwidth itd take for a 20 (Id say at least) video, plus everyone in the contest would have to have fairly similar hardware.

Some graffiti is really good and should be considered art, others just make the city look like crap.

ocmyface
09-18-2004, 11:44 PM
i work at circuit city and the CC had a contest from all the stores too see who's tech guy could build a computer the fastest (had to boot), the winner did it in 4 minutes 34 seconds (give or take 20 seconds)

idea:
funniest in game screenshot, remember when farcry came out, and people would take pics of the guys dying then landing in erotic poitions? we could have a contest like that, vote on which game to use then we vote on funniest pic

megahurtz-oc
09-19-2004, 06:19 AM
how about a contest of online gaming! like ut2k4 100 frag last man standing or? it would be cool to play against people in here hell i could set it up on my comp. or any online game with a tournament & brackets. now that would be cool what are some games that you guys like? the winner could have a custom title like supreme godlike gamer!

L0$t Pr0PhEt
09-19-2004, 06:27 AM
counter-strike :p
we can try to get the highest fps in cs1.6 with developer 1, cs1.6 is the weirdest game ever to tweak, some with 9800pro still dont have no 100fps constant while I have it constant with 9600pro :D
Too bad not everyone has a steam account.

aoc007
09-19-2004, 03:59 PM
how about a contest of online gaming! like ut2k4 100 frag last man standing or? it would be cool to play against people in here hell i could set it up on my comp. or any online game with a tournament & brackets. now that would be cool what are some games that you guys like? the winner could have a custom title like supreme godlike gamer!

I only have a 2k3 key :rolleyes:

Crow
09-20-2004, 07:17 AM
This has been done at other websites, and maybe here, not sure. What if the mods posted a screenshot of something funny, and everyone else had to make a slogan for it, or little phrase about it. That would be cool.

Kazoo
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
All chat has been cleaned from this thread and split out. Please keep the thread clean. Thanks.

Rabbi_NZ
09-21-2004, 10:58 PM
How bout an "Overclocking General Knowledge Quiz"
Maybe the mods could come up with as many questions as they could that only the dedicated overclocker would know, and then make up some sort of quiz... multichoice might work well.

EG,
According to Winbond White Papers what is the maximum voltage level tolerance of the BH6-BH5 chips?

What was the standard VCore of an AMD Thunderbird?

etc etc

Shaman
09-22-2004, 12:59 AM
How about you guys set up a nicely oc'ed system and tell us the exact specs of it (components, FSB, timings, graphics card clocks etc.)..
Then you ask us to predict the EXACT scores it'll get in some pre-determined popular benchmarks (3dMark2001, 3dMark2003 and Pi for example).
The guy who gets closer (all 3 predictions combined) to what the rig finally gets, wins!

Poki
09-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Poki shot put entry (http://fugger.netfirms.com/poki.mpeg)

Enjoy!

chilly1
09-23-2004, 09:16 PM
And we have a winner

CONGRATS :toast: On your qualifiying entry. Block on the way monday....

megahurtz-oc
09-24-2004, 03:46 AM
how much that thing weigh? nice throw.

Poki
09-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks Fugger and Chilly1!
Beens wanting one of your blocks awhile Chilly1... It will be put to good use.

Megahurtz-oc, think it around 15-17lbs... Those buggers are awkward to throw though.
Lets get some more tossing going on.... Geez, there's 4 more Chilly1 evaps up for grabs!

stergiopilus
09-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Here is my entry: http://members.iinet.net.au/~appius/sterg%20throw.avi

And here is my brothers go at it for the fun of it, he decided to dress up as Steve Irwin etc (don't know if it counts for another block though, thats for the admins to decide).

http://users.tpg.com.au/muller1/marcel%20throw.avi

If anyone (Fugger?) could host one of the 2 videos above, it would be greatly appreciated (even if its the smaller second one), as i only have a limited webspace which i need other things on and had to temporarily remove them to fit these clips on.

BTW: Didn't have a better camera, but i hope that is good enough. Also note the nice USB cable used for the throwing line (shows it at the start of my throw). :D

Congratulations Poki! You threw it pretty far! :toast:

And yes, i would have to agree with you on the awkwardness of throwing them. I tried many different ways to hold it, but they are all awkward.

chilly1
09-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Congratulations you have become the second winner of a Chilly1 evap...

Is your brother a member here? I'll ask the other mods what do you think???

stergiopilus
09-24-2004, 06:12 PM
He isn't a member yet, but he is in the process of signing up now. :)

EDIT: Bro has signed up as 'Marksman', but can't post yet. As has been discussed in a PM with chilly1, just the 1 evap will be fine for the both of ours, since my brother isn't really into phase-change, and he just did it for fun. :cool:

Poki
09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Stergiopilus nice job on the throw... Enjoy your new toy when it gets there!

Rabbi_NZ
09-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Another idea for a contest...

"Emoticon Design Competition"
Members design emoticons ( eg :toast: :banana: :banana4: :stick: ), that can be either static or animated.
I'm not familiar with the way these are created... maybe the participients would need photoshop or something similar to be capable of entering, so that may be an issue.
But it would be hillarious to see what people could come up with. Judging would be done via a "poll thread" to get the response of all members... it would be too difficult for one or two mods to judge something that is more a matter of opinion than anything else...
A possible prize would be to have their Emoticon added to the Forum's standard ones in the "Smiles" box.

Kazoo
09-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Keep the ideas coming!

Assasin-uk
09-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Ive looked at all these contests and i think you guys have got it well covered..either that or im short on imagination.. :D

As for the compressor throwing, id love to try it but i dont have one :rolleyes:

Can i substitute something else?

stergiopilus
09-27-2004, 05:43 AM
As for the compressor throwing, id love to try it but i dont have one :rolleyes:

I didn't have a spare one either, so i just went to the nearest refrigeration place and asked for a dead one, which they were happy to give. The guy even brased the ends up so it wouldn't spill any oil over me. All for the price of $0. ;)

chilly1
09-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Where do you live in the UK assisin, I might be able to find you a compressor over there to use>

JimmyDean
09-27-2004, 10:38 PM
My video will be up tomorrow, i have a spare 80mm tornado around to chop some stuff up, give me some ideas :).

Assasin-uk
09-28-2004, 12:34 AM
@ Chilly:Thornton, small place near Blackpool (as in Blackpool tower..)

As for getting a unit to shotput, i tried three places localy and they said they couldnt give them out as it was a saftey issue..?

chilly1
09-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Got to be a local recycyling place. OR an appliance repair company. Did you tell them what you were going to do with it? Maybe they were concerned you were going to throw it at someone?:D

chilly1
09-28-2004, 06:37 AM
@ Chilly:Thornton, small place near Blackpool (as in Blackpool tower..)

As for getting a unit to shotput, i tried three places localy and they said they couldnt give them out as it was a saftey issue..?
Can't find you on a map Thornton brings up six loacattions... What is your address?

pythagoras
09-28-2004, 06:39 AM
Hi Assasin-uk,

I'm sure a compressor that was still attached to a mini fridge would count :p: I'm sure you could shot put one of those :D It would make one funny video!

Have the illuminations started yet?

Regards

John.

pythagoras
09-28-2004, 06:42 AM
its here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=334113&y=442236&z=3&sv=thornton&st=3&tl=Thornton,+Lancashire+[Town]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

chilly1
09-28-2004, 08:01 AM
I like the minifrige too....:D

JimmyDean
09-28-2004, 06:56 PM
http://members.cox.net/jimmydean012/Contest.wmv

chilly1
09-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Congrats send me your addy..

gkiing
09-28-2004, 08:15 PM
how many chilly1 evaps are left? I'll try this tomorrow :D

After the spin compressor throw im gona attatch the compressor to a line and try and throw it like one of those steel balls on a chain

chilly1
09-28-2004, 09:03 PM
There are only 2 chilly blocks left, there is also 20 OCZ memory boosters to give out... we need suguestions for a contest remember the 10 best suguestions get a mem booster.

JimmyDean
09-28-2004, 09:08 PM
See who can get the fastest 500+ mhz processor, running on the lowest voltages possible. Try running w/o heatsink maybe?

chilly1
09-28-2004, 09:10 PM
See who can get the fastest 500+ mhz processor, running on the lowest voltages possible. Try running w/o heatsink maybe?
We need a contest that is fair to everyone including those not having the resourses to buy or have a 500mhz processor.. Must be fun, fair, Free.

stergiopilus
09-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Here is my suggestion for a competition:

The admins pick a number and everyone can try to get the EXACT value in Pifast (eg 51.26s, on that can still be obtained with slower computers). The quickest one (have a time where the number is posted) to get it and post a high quality screenshot (easier to tell if it's been photochopped) with cpu-z etc running in the background wins.

This would allow a wide range of people to do it, those with slower computers can reach the number, and those with really fast computers will have to try and detune their computer till they reach it.

Same idea can be done with sisoft sandra cpu and memory values (using a value that is attainable by a wide majority of people here). In some cases this is harder for those with really fast computers, which should make for an interesting competition.

cetoole
09-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Make a moving computer part, like a dead hd powered with a Tornado rolling on wheels made of AOL CDs, or the AOL cd frizbee throw. I have secretly wanted to see how far a hd or cd could launch a disk or platter while fully spun up, so mod that hd with plenty of dead sectors.

Rinsewand
09-29-2004, 04:21 PM
have a mod your mouse competition! where the contestants have to mod their mouse (albeit temporarily) into a funny character...

all submit a piccy, the mods narrow it down to top ten say, and then the XS community has a good laugh deciding.

fun - whats more fun than stickey backed plastic and washing up bottles! (blue peter for all you americans)
free - well... glue + cardboard
fair - everyone picks the winner!

RwD

Rabbi_NZ
09-29-2004, 11:56 PM
OK, I've got a bit more information bout my "Emoticon Design" contest idea...
I got a program from a friend of mine called "Ulead GIF Animator 5"... he gave me self-extracting file that includes the program itself, updates, patches, examples etc. The self extracting file is 27MB.
I could post a CD to someone that can host the file for download... then everyone can download it and have a go, it's good for a laugh!

I just extracted the files, installed the program, and made my first animated gif... all in less than 10 minutes.

Here it is in all it's glory! hehehe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/rabbi_nz/RabbsGIF.gif

I doubt anyone could top that effort but it would be good for a challenge :D

Something that's quick, easy, fun to enter, and fun to judge... I don't have any recommendations for prizes because I don't know what XS has to offer, but an idea is to include the winners animated gif in the standard XS emoticon box so everyone could use it...

Just for reference, here's my original post about this idea:

Members design emoticons ( eg :toast: :banana: :banana4: :stick: ), that can be either static or animated.
I'm not familiar with the way these are created... maybe the participients would need photoshop or something similar to be capable of entering, so that may be an issue.
But it would be hillarious to see what people could come up with. Judging would be done via a "poll thread" to get the response of all members... it would be too difficult for one or two mods to judge something that is more a matter of opinion than anything else...
A possible prize would be to have their Emoticon added to the Forum's standard ones in the "Smiles" box."

chilly1
09-30-2004, 06:00 AM
OK, I've got a bit more information bout my "Emoticon Design" contest idea...
I got a program from a friend of mine called "Ulead GIF Animator 5"... he gave me self-extracting file that includes the program itself, updates, patches, examples etc. The self extracting file is 27MB.
I could post a CD to someone that can host the file for download... then everyone can download it and have a go, it's good for a laugh!

I just extracted the files, installed the program, and made my first animated gif... all in less than 10 minutes.

Here it is in all it's glory! hehehe
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/rabbi_nz/RabbsGIF.gif

I doubt anyone could top that effort but it would be good for a challenge :D

Something that's quick, easy, fun to enter, and fun to judge... I don't have any recommendations for prizes because I don't know what XS has to offer, but an idea is to include the winners animated gif in the standard XS emoticon box so everyone could use it...

Just for reference, here's my original post about this idea:

A possible prize would be to have their Emoticon added to the Forum's standard ones in the "Smiles" box."

Is this share ware? If not then we can't do this. Illegally swaping software is not allowed.

drcrawn
09-30-2004, 11:10 AM

i like this one a lot...nice, most orignal idea yet! See who can get arrested first for this too! I say if you make the news or get arrested, you automatically win!

drcrawn
09-30-2004, 11:13 AM
How about, who can post the total highest number of 3dmark03 points in a given hour?

This would be a tricky. A balance to run the highest overclocks, but to run them over and over again for an hour. No looping, all runs have to individually entered into ORB, as a way to monitor the hour's time. This would be a riot!

koensa
10-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Hello me and a friend tryd out for the contest with the compressor.

we both bought one, and then threw with them.
we threw more then 3meters (as you can see on movies)

the movies are here :
http://users.edpnet.be/losfeldken/contest/

but i am still oploading them

(when we threw them in the water,we pulled them back)

if i won,plz contact me

koensa
10-01-2004, 01:00 PM
http://illux.be/contest/DSCN2106.MOV
http://illux.be/contest/DSCN2107.MOV
http://illux.be/contest/DSCN2108.MOV
http://illux.be/contest/DSCN2109.MOV

sorry
these will work

the host (illux) is a friend of mine, i thank him via this way

chilly1
10-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Congratulations koensa we have another winner. Did you buy new compressors???

koensa
10-01-2004, 11:30 PM
no but i bought them second hand .

but i already had them standing in the bassment,and i was thinking...these will be broking because the air could touch the POE oil.

or am i mistaken?

cool that i won

blinky
10-02-2004, 12:33 AM
i dont have a compressor to throw could i substitute and old monitor or something?

:(

blinky
10-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Here is my suggestion for a competition:

The admins pick a number and everyone can try to get the EXACT value in Pifast (eg 51.26s, on that can still be obtained with slower computers). The quickest one (have a time where the number is posted) to get it and post a high quality screenshot (easier to tell if it's been photochopped) with cpu-z etc running in the background wins.

This would allow a wide range of people to do it, those with slower computers can reach the number, and those with really fast computers will have to try and detune their computer till they reach it.

Same idea can be done with sisoft sandra cpu and memory values (using a value that is attainable by a wide majority of people here). In some cases this is harder for those with really fast computers, which should make for an interesting competition.um, i posted that same idea on the first page, except replace 3dmark with piFast and its what u posted :stick:

how about contestants have to hit a series of 3dmark01 scores but specifically on the dot, for instance someone would have to hit 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 or something, or it could be non even like 14256. so a person would have to tweak perfectly to get each of the scores.

Siphilon
10-02-2004, 10:29 PM
How about a monitor booting contest, to see who can get their monitor to boot the fastest, that is from the point of pushing the power button to the point that it clicks into proper state. ALl required would be a monitor and a stopwatch + some honesty. And I think this community is cool enough that everyone would WANT to try and play by all the rules.

What do you think?

Crow
10-03-2004, 09:14 AM
this has probably been done before, but how bout a contest of who can mod their mouse the most? It could be cool too see how weird or cool that some mouses would look :D

Rabbi_NZ
10-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Is this share ware? If not then we can't do this. Illegally swaping software is not allowed.
Got a working Trial Version on here right now... did this with it in bout 15 minutes http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/rabbi_nz/XSgif.gif. MS Paint was used to make the seperate frames and Ulead GIF Animator did the rest.
The round thing on the keyboard is meant to be a monitor... I'm sure some members round here will do much better... I'm an engineer not an artist :p:

stergiopilus
10-04-2004, 03:25 AM
um, i posted that same idea on the first page, except replace 3dmark with piFast and its what u posted :stick:

Sorry about that, i had a quick skim over the entries before i suggested mine (don't remember yours), but you were the first with the idea, so if the idea is worthy to be in the top 10, ocz booster goes to you. :)

I'll have another think of something else which can be done. :toast:

pythagoras
10-04-2004, 02:09 PM
How about a case design contest.

This could be split into 3 catagories

Air system

Water system

Phase Change system

Very cheap, pencil and paper with a scanner at low end.

It would be fun, and if we had really good designs submitted some of them could be turned into actual cases.

Regards

John.

blinky
10-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Sorry about that, i had a quick skim over the entries before i suggested mine (don't remember yours), but you were the first with the idea, so if the idea is worthy to be in the top 10, ocz booster goes to you. :)

I'll have another think of something else which can be done. :toast:ill let you "test" it ;)

stergiopilus
10-07-2004, 04:49 PM
To elaborate on 9mmCensor's idea of putting anything with XS or xtremesystems.org in a public place and taking a photo of it, you could also have a general photography competition.

What you do, is an admin or someone picks out a topic (can be basically anything from computer related to environment related) and people take photo's (with that topic somehow in the photo) and upload them with all the relevant details (camera taken with, shutter speeds etc). Then the admins pick the best few photo's (5-10) and put them up in a poll and the forumites can vote on which one they like the best.

I would assume a lot of people on here would have some sort of digital or normal camera.

The idea originally came from OCAU (www.overclockers.com.au) which has a small competition every month or so, but it could also be done as a once off.

EDIT: Could also have a competition (in same style as above) who has the messiest computer area (which i think there would be a fair bit of competition for). :p:

STEvil
10-07-2004, 07:35 PM
How about we race Voodoo 1's? :D

I got a compressor in the shop, my camera records up to 30 seconds of footage... and a cliff. :D:D:D:D:D

I think i'll go do the compressor shotput tomarrow. Gonna take all day to upload the vid probably LOL :D

chilly1
10-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Better hurry the deadline is the 11th for all contests here ...

STEvil
10-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Got movie and stuff, trying to pull it off my camera now.. lol.

1.83mb worth of movie comming over dial-up now!!

http://www.wcroller.com/los/linkpics/compressorimpact.jpg

EDIT

MOVIE TIME!!

http://www.wcroller.com/los/linkpics/compressortoss.avi

Thats right.. 228 inches (178 from me to end of concrete pad, +50 to impact)... on a bad throw (blue standing up thing is marker from a couple tests.. about 20.5 feet). 19 feet people!! :D

stayfrosty
10-07-2004, 08:51 PM
How about a competition to invent and create/build something completely new thats not on the market. it could be anything at all as long as it has to do with computers

chilly1
10-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Got movie and stuff, trying to pull it off my camera now.. lol.

1.83mb worth of movie comming over dial-up now!!

http://www.wcroller.com/los/linkpics/compressorimpact.jpg

EDIT

MOVIE TIME!!

http://www.wcroller.com/los/linkpics/compressortoss.avi

Thats right.. 228 inches (178 from me to end of concrete pad, +50 to impact)... on a bad throw (blue standing up thing is marker from a couple tests.. about 20.5 feet). 19 feet people!! :D

OK we have a fifth winner, but we need to see the cliff throw and you need to make it interesting like really throw it! And make it funny:D..... NO really send me your addy

Jasongn
10-08-2004, 07:32 PM
I'd like to see a contest that is based on a hardware curve so to speak.
The contest would be simple....get the best 3dmark01 score you can get.
Thats it. 3dmark01 being my first choice since its the best all-in-one(cpu/vid/mem) benchmark imho.

The Spin is

Lets base it on performance %'s of each individauls own situation(cpu/vidcard).
Thats really the only way to make a contest free of money bias's.
I'd love to see some input on structuring a scoring system, I'm sure we can come up with some good Ideas.

Crow
10-08-2004, 08:00 PM
how about a contest of whos case has the most lights, and most designs, Im sure there are some people here who have some wild looking cases...would be cool to see also :)

Kazoo
10-11-2004, 04:33 PM
As today is October 11, this contest is now officially closed. The moderators will now have 2 days to vote for the 10 best ideas, and then we'll post a poll to the general forum for all members to vote for a winning contest, where we will give away ANOTHER 10 OCZ DDR Boosters!

Good luck to all!

Charles Wirth
10-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Good luck everyone, plenty to choose from. We will be using these ideas for future give aways.

saaya
10-20-2004, 08:42 AM
unstickied the thread to make room for new competitions :)