PDA

View Full Version : water cooling a slot 1 mobo

reupbert
10-25-2002, 06:00 AM
Hey guys,

So I've got this old hunk-o-junk Deskpro laying around, it has a slot 1 Celeron 266mhz sitting in it (unlocked), and the DIP switches on the board can go up to 400mhz.

What I'm wondering is, can I go up to 400mhz with just air cooling (acceptable temperatures?). Is it even possible to water cool a slot 1 celeron (where's the die!? I haven't seen anything online about it). If not air cooling, has anyone cooled a slot 1 with water?

JBELL
10-25-2002, 10:46 PM
i dunno about water cool - kinda over kill for 600MHZ just got brute air - tornado or delta will work...

Silversink
10-25-2002, 10:46 PM
Overclockershideout.com Used to sell a blue anodized Aluminum slot waterblock. I bet if you placed a wanted ad someones bound to have one laying in thier closet.

PS Dangerden used to sell a slot waterblock, ask around

PSS you could buy one of these and use an ordinary block with it

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/6/13.htm?77

reupbert
10-26-2002, 11:46 AM
Excellent, thanks for all of the responses! It seems like I have three options here, varying from easiest to hardest: place a wanted ad or check eBay for a slot1 waterblock, adapt a socket A/370 to the slot 1 (using the mounting bits), or use my college's machine shop and make one :)

I'll let you guys know how it goes if you're interested.

JBELL
10-26-2002, 12:02 PM
if you custom fab one I personally wouldlove to see how you did it.

IFMU
10-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Im kinda curious, how far have you gotten so far and what kinda temps have you had? I would try to see how far you can get with just air. Granted, would prolly get some serious airflow going, but still see how far you can get. If you are held back by temps then, I would say go for some watercooling. Before that I would hold off on the cash though.
Next, Im going to presume that this has one of those plastic covers on it? If so, take that sucker off!~! I did and was able to get much better connection onto the CPU and a much higher OC then before.
Once thats off and you can get directly to the core, it would be easy to get some better cooling on it.

Im also with JBell, if you do a waterblock on your own, make sure you post some pics up!

reupbert
10-30-2002, 05:12 PM
Well, here's the story. The celeron has a built-in temperature monitor reports to the motherboard, which will shut itself off if it reaches 135f so I have been able to POST with stock cooling (more on this in a second) but it very quickly heats up causing it to shut off.

Yes, I am positive I could reach 400 (again, that's the maximum MHZ based on the multiplier DIP switches) using air. But it's more about how low can I keep the temperatures with water? The celeron is a bare SECC with no plastic cartridge, and a freakish sheet of metal (passive) with jutting out fence-like extensions on the top, it's clearly OEM and cheaply moulded. There is room for two 80mm fans; one behind the bottom of the front bezel, and one immediately behind the processor per ATX specification.

I'm debating wether to purchase a water cooling kit for reliability, or being [h]ard and building one myself for much cheaper (and much more instability :p). Also wondering if I should just use Artic epoxy to hold down the block on the core to avoid it shorting the BGA pins (most people used dialectic grease back in the day).

IFMU
11-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by reupbert
But it's more about how low can I keep the temperatures with water?
Here I can say that in the best circumstances you can get nearly 2 to 3 degrees above ambient temps. This is the best I have ever heard of personally. Which typically, is simply outrageous. Great cooling for just water.

I'm debating wether to purchase a water cooling kit for reliability, or being [h]ard and building one myself for much cheaper (and much more instability :p).
Bah! Nearly every one of my water cooling setups I have had I basiclly put together myself. Even on my homemade blocks there was no probs with them. Save the cash and make most of it yourself. It is way worth the cost differences.
Now, I would say fork over a few extra bucks and get yourself a decent WB and pump. Beyond that, go ghetto!~!

Also wondering if I should just use Artic epoxy to hold down the block on the core to avoid it shorting the BGA pins (most people used dialectic grease back in the day).
Why use epoxy? Worried about connection to the cpu? I personally would work out some kind of jury rig to get it attached, but still leave it removable down the line if the need arrises.

reupbert
11-12-2002, 09:07 PM
well folks, it looks like im going to build my own waterblock after all... we've decided to go direct-die cooling. i've lapped off the aluminum (?) on the heat spreader with 600 grit (ugh... but maybe this will be beneficial? more surface area for the water, opposed to less with a finer grain). we're building the block by placing layers of acrylic with squares cut out of their center together with marine goop. then, we're drilling the holes for the input and output water tubes, testing the system and then gooping it to the CPU (talk about a permanent solution!). we were considering just making a box with the acrylic but it might not hold up against ~ 150gph from the pump? we're also thinking that the best design will be pushing cold water over the die, letting it heat up, and extracting it from the top of the block and then through the radiator.

anyone have suggestions or comments about this system? please add them!