PDA

View Full Version : Capacitors 'n stuff

Axle Gear
09-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Question:

I got an A7N8X Deluxe with some capacitors that get >hot<. (The 3 just above the AGP slot)

Someone suggested soldering more on in parellel. Can someone break that to me in english and 'splain how it works? ^.^

My original post is under Air Cooling someplace.

Also, what's the absolute best Socket A heatsink for air cooling?

a0chicken
09-03-2004, 06:59 PM
I'll say it again, you'll get a better answer in the Xtreme Mods section. ;)
And for the Heatsink Q, I'd just search through Aircooling a few pages back, and then make a topic if you don't find an answer.

bh2k
09-03-2004, 07:05 PM
It means souldering capacitors of the same resistance to the back of the legs of the one on the board. Plus to plus negative to negative.

Hell-Fire
09-03-2004, 08:40 PM
bh2k is almost on the right track. You need to find capacitors that are the same Voltage rating, and the same Capacitance rating.

Meaning, if the capacitors on your board are 16v @ 6300mF (thats mieux, not milli), then you need to use the same ones when you do the mod.

Yes, solder positive to positive and negative to negative. The negative side of a capacitor will have a stripe on it.

freecableguy
09-03-2004, 09:26 PM
I don't think adding more capacitance is going to bring temperatures down...

enzoR
09-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Hell-Fire
bh2k is almost on the right track. You need to find capacitors that are the same Voltage rating, and the same Capacitance rating.

Meaning, if the capacitors on your board are 16v @ 6300mF (thats mieux, not milli), then you need to use the same ones when you do the mod.

Yes, solder positive to positive and negative to negative. The negative side of a capacitor will have a stripe on it.

Preferably low ESR caps.... and i agree with freecableguy.

Axle Gear
09-04-2004, 02:37 AM
I see. So why would I ever bother with all that?

bh2k
09-04-2004, 11:40 AM
The extra power regulation helps stabilize the board at high clocks.

Axle Gear
09-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Enzor!

What does 'low ESR' mean? Electro-static resistance? *Shrugs* I dunno.

Anyone know which capacitors do what on an A7N8X? Or some other better AMD-32 board?
I wanna do some evil OCing.

mluckey
09-04-2004, 07:31 PM
If you are trying to stabilize, then go for a two or three smaller high-temperature caps in parallel, that equal the older, larger cap. You will have better response time, and if you use Nichicon Muse, Rubycons, or Black Gates, you get far more than just a higher temperature rating. You get less noise, and overall better performance than most stock caps. They way you wire them up is your choice, just remember that you may come into clearance/interference issues if the caps are large. I tend to stack mine up, or run them in a radial layout, if I run a set in parallel.

Just remember that the voltage ratings on the new caps can be more, but should not be less (each one) than the original caps.

enzoR
09-05-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Axle Gear
Enzor!

What does 'low ESR' mean? Electro-static resistance? *Shrugs* I dunno.

Anyone know which capacitors do what on an A7N8X? Or some other better AMD-32 board?
I wanna do some evil OCing.

Low Equivalent Series Resistance.

The quality of low ESR capacitor (Low Equivalent Series Resistance) during high frequency operation is very important for the stability of CPU power. The idea of where to put these capacitors is another know-how that requires experience and detail calculation.

basically caps that respond faster....

freecableguy
09-05-2004, 08:34 AM
I second the Rubycons...those are my caps of chioce...

mluckey
09-05-2004, 11:28 AM
I personally use the Black Gates, though they are PRICEY.

For most applications, the Nichicons and Rubycons are a sure bet to be as good/better, than the caps that came with the board (Abit Boards not included, as they often use Nichicon, and Rubycon caps.)

wfarid
09-28-2004, 09:02 AM
what about Nichicon caps, are they any good?