PDA

View Full Version : Highest OC ever:help:

Ramzes
10-24-2002, 12:55 PM
Hi peeps,

I was reading ur forum for a time, i think now it's time to post something myself.

I was looking 4 a mobo upgrade and in ur forum i found that lodz of people have good opinion about KX7, so i decided that i need it. Went, bought it, vmod it, test it. Hmmm... interesting the max stable oc i can get IS AT 133 FSB!!! :confused:
A7V266-E the same cpu (xp2000+) same dram (kingston 512 pc 2100) runs stable on 156fsb with most aggressive memory timings (cas2 etc) @ 1.75 Vcore and 2.5 Vmem. Limit 160fsb u can rise Vcore as much as u wish but it even doesn't load bios, after some investigation i blamed mobo and went for upgrade to KX7.
Now with kx7 @ 140fsb i can load bios @ 135fsb i can enter winXP and run sandra cpu/mem/chipset test successful but on multimedia test it immediately fails, this test can finished only @ 133fsb. Rising Vcore until 2.2 don't help, Vmem @3.2 too. Same with worst memory timings.
In short, i suspect memory, but not sure because it was working with aggrieve settings on asus. Is it possible that even the worst chip ever can't run even 2mhz higher frequency, to be true i can't imagine it.
Any suggestions wise people? Cos i have no clue.
:upset:

P.s. KX7333r rev 1.1 bios 9k, temp read from vapochill thermaldiode -12 in celsius
P.p.s. u can see my rig here www.kom.auc.dk/~rlaz00

Godfather
10-24-2002, 03:32 PM
Quite interesting> Ive had similra problems with other objects seperatly to the system such as the video card and what not. Ive heard of great thsi and great that and when I purchase the item it doesnt work like those wonderous objects they talked about. The only thing i can think of is maybe the memory. What I would recommend is going with a Crucial peice of ram or even some GEIL ram GEIL seems very inexpensive for the performance you get out of it. Even has heat spreader on it. Other than that It would probably be the mobo itself. Did you try the newest BIOS? If not try that.

Ramzes
10-24-2002, 03:57 PM
I'm very suspicious about that mem bone too. Maybe a7v was more fault tolerant regarding memory, maybe abit set default dram setting which doesn't like my old kingston, maybe... don't know. Anyway i'm gonna cheek with other memory chip, but unfortunately the best i can get quickly is kingston or samsung pc2700 also PQI3200 (anybody heard something about it?) other brands i have to order.

N8
10-25-2002, 03:46 AM
Ramzes,

Welcome to Xtreme :)

What memory and power supply are you using? Something's definitely not right there :D

Ramzes
10-25-2002, 04:59 AM
Q Technology 300W 12V-15A 5V-30A 3.3V-28A
system consist of compressor video cpu memory; nothing else
pc monitor stats:
12V - 11,95
5V - 4.95
signal seams not to be noisy but i'm not sure cos don't have oscilloscope @ home
psu seem holding high loads without voltage fluctuations, tested using cpuburn with win system monitor
-.-
kingston pc2100 c2.5. with kx7 on 140fsb acts the same like on A7V 161fsb, i mean that at these frequencies bios doesn't load, vmem increase doesn't help.
I used pretty long wires for vmods so i thought about RADIO effect, removed, nothing system acts the same.
Still i think that is memory fault if i prove it will be public execution for that kingston using tesla coil (my friend is about to finish it, 10kW) :D

N8
10-25-2002, 05:10 AM
Yea man I would guess that its the memory. Kingston is not bad at all, but I think you might be asking too much of its C2.5 2100 module. That PS is rather low wattage as well to be runnin a Vapo + ur system. I think I'd try some nice memory first if you can...but If I were you I'd also be looking into a new PS...Check out OPP's review of the TTGI 520W. It sounds like a real bargain!

The KX7 prolly is a bit more aggressive on the memory than the Asus board...but I'm guessing there again ;)

Marci
10-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Q Technology 300W 12V-15A 5V-30A 3.3V-28A...

The above PSU is WAY underspec mate... geta 350w or 400w at least... as soon as you start pushing the XPs you gotta have a half-decent PSU...

The TTGI is available in the UK under the brand name HIPER so god knows what it's released as elsewhere... can say they are nice tho...

The Abit board is definitely more aggressive on mem than the Asus... and the results you've got are what I'd expect from a standard stick of 2100DDR...

Call me daft but you have set RATIO in SoftMenuIII to 5:2:1 instead of 4:2:1?? If not, do it now... problem should be instantly solved...