PDA

View Full Version : droop mod for p4c800e question

terranaut
08-31-2004, 02:48 PM
ok, hopefully someone can direct me here....

i have a p4c800e.
for a year i had a 2.4 running at 277 @ 1:1 with no problems.
so i thought i'd move up to a 2.8, which i did, but now i cant get higher than 225 @ 1:1.

im thinking i need to do that droop mod, based on this graph here showing i swing from 1.73 to 1.60 when im set to 1.72, and this graph here shows i do truly need to do the droop mod to get higher than 225, correct?
http://www.terranaut.com/vcore.gif

ok, i also bought a 50k vr online, and heres what i got which is different than the others ive seen online, this one only turns once, not multiple times. do i have the wrong piece? or is this one just different looking because, since it only turns once, its much more sensitive, but it will still work?
http://www.terranaut.com/vr.jpg
ive measured its tips with a multimeter, and i see by turning the dial i can adjust either a-to-b or a-to-c , and when i add both a-to-b and a-to-c (no matter what i set one to) they will always add up to 50k. so do i want to adjust a-to-b to read 28k on my multimeter exactly, and then i solder the wires with A and B on this component (and i do already know where they solder onto the mobo)?

also, i havent found where im supposed to measure the true vcore on the mobo with the multimeter, i didnt find any pics in the forum showing this. after the mod will the vcore showing in bios and the vcore measured by mm differ always? because im wondering how ill know what to truly set it to in bios for this 2.8 to be able to go any higher, even 235 id be happy.

thanks for anyones help with this, im not exactly educated on these components, but i feel i am going to have to dig in and learn, because its frustrating to see this board not performing as it had.

Hell-Fire
08-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Doing the droop mod is generally a good thing, even if it only helps slightly.

Yes, I would set the VR to 28K while checking between pins A and B. Then solder the wires to those pins and then to the motherboard.

The Vcore may be different than the bios...and prob is honestly. Check the FETs and Choke solder points that are around the cpu socket.

terranaut
08-31-2004, 08:20 PM
thanks for that info. now this vr is a real simple looking device thats very thin, yet everyone always uses those little boxy ones, is there a reason, i mean, this thin one (whats the name if this type of vr) is just as well, its just thin because it turns from 11oclock to 1oclock and not multiple times, correct? itll serve the same function?....thanks again....

and is my .12 variance in voltage normal, it doesnt mean my zalman 400 powr supply has a problem under load, does it? because im planning on getting a 6800 ultra in december, and with such drops now i dont want to fry anything.....

terranaut
09-01-2004, 06:55 PM
and i couldnt find it in the forums, where is there a picture of where to test the voltage with the mm? thanks....

terranaut
09-02-2004, 02:24 PM
please someone let me know a visual on where to check the voltage, im right on the water in west palm beach and have until noon friday to get this done so i can get the system out of here.....its in parts now....thanks

CaTalyst.X
09-02-2004, 02:38 PM
PPl use the boxy ones because they turn 25 times for precise adjustment :D

-CaT

Hell-Fire
09-02-2004, 04:12 PM
You wont need a VR that uses multiple turns as long as you have the VR preset to 28k ohms before you solder it into place. And I highly recommend covering the adjustment knob with hot glue or something to keep it from being accidnetly turned as a VR with a single turn really changes the resistance greatly with even a slight turn on it. Maybe tape it down?? Obviously recheck the resistance between the pins you decide to use for the droop mod after you tape the adjustment knob to make sure you didnt turn it while taping it. Thats why I recommend hot glue as you just let it slide down the knob and become solid.

Anyway, I dont own this board, but am pretty sure you can check the Vcore at either of these points:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rwbradl2//CSC251/images/P4C800_Vcore_DMM.jpg

terranaut
09-02-2004, 06:57 PM
thanks so much! gotta get this sytem together now and leave, under a mandatory evac....