PDA

View Full Version : New chiller project

jakesford
08-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Here is my new chiller project, GE 5150btu window unit, got it from wally world for $70...

Got the evap. fan off and all of the insulation, bypassed the thermostat, and everything seems to be doing ok. I don't have a temp probe that will work so I won't know my evap temps until tomorrow.

The thing that im curious about is that there dosn't seem to be a dryer any where??? Is this normal for this model or am I not recognizing it.

Here are some pics, i can take some more if anyone has any ideas about the dryer...

jakesford
08-28-2004, 06:15 PM
it was really warm and humid tonight in Fort Worth and my camera lense kept fogging up LOL

jakesford
08-28-2004, 06:16 PM

jakesford
08-28-2004, 06:27 PM
closeup

blinky
08-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by jakesford
it was really warm and humid tonight in Fort Worth and my camera lense kept fogging up LOL the thing in that picture is the drier

and thats the same unit i got, i think

jakesford
08-29-2004, 08:29 AM
I thought that was the accumulator???

jakesford
09-01-2004, 07:28 PM
update...I got a thermostat and started a pull down to get a temp reading...got it to -10C and then there was a slight mix up with a towl and the condensor fan:( . Well the carnage left me with three broken blades and having to order a new fan from GE for $30:eek: plus shipping, so as soon as I get the part I'll post up some offical temps...

Twynn
09-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by jakesford
I thought that was the accumulator???

That is indeed an accumulator. I don't see any dryer in the system :)

bh2k
09-02-2004, 04:09 PM
You're such an artist :)

jakesford
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
I haven't got the part yet but I couldn't wait, so I setup a fan/shroud that actually worked really well, with the fan on medium I got a delta t on the condensor ~7C and got it to pull down to -31C with an ambient of 28C, was using some towls as insulation...

I spent about 1.5hrs bending tubing and got the evap. flipped over so that the tubing that enters the middle is bent up instead of down, and I didn't break anything this time:D

All i need now is a container (probally the can cooler)

jakesford
09-02-2004, 08:15 PM
BTW when I got it pulled down to -31 I noticed that the bottom of the compressor barely warm to the touch the top was hot, does this mean that I will have to adjust the charge?

bh2k
09-02-2004, 08:35 PM
I believe (I may be wrong) your only over charged if the bottom of the compressor has condensation on it.

jakesford
09-17-2004, 07:50 PM
alright ladies and gentlemen...its finished, well except for tuning (and I need some help!) I actually posted all of this before the site went down and it was all gone when it came back up but owell...Everything that is inside the cover is insulated, i got the mag 5 hooked up and is flowing great. I still have electrical to do but its up and running...with the evap completely submerged with 2 gallons of Prestone Deicer i only managed a temp of -20C near pump inlet, btw this stuff isn't good to -30/40c that others were claiming, started turning to slush at -16C... I am kinda disappointed since i had evap temps of -31C after i took the unit apart. Im getting great Delta T's ~8C with fan on low after about 0C and about the same temps with fan on high above 0C.

jakesford
09-17-2004, 07:53 PM
this is the return I put together (plus it gave me an excuse for buying a mapp tourch :D ) It has 8 1/8" holes that spray straight towards the center of the evap. and with the fluid level low it puts out pretty strong jets of water...

jakesford
09-17-2004, 08:05 PM
oh BTW after all of this, I guess with all of the pull downs and then back to outside temp, the fitting that i installed at the bottom of the cooler began to leak :mad: . I had it JB welded in place and then siliconed too, i guess the expansion and contraction rates of the two different materials was too much :( ...So I disassembled the entire chiller and depressurized the system and am going to start on brazing a custom HX and try to fit the entire package in my case...Im going to go to 290 instead of r22 since I can buy that...I've alreay been to two local AC supply shops looking for goodies and have gotten a lot of "Now what are you doing again???" responses and some laughing too...I still need to find a set of guages before i start on anything else. Any suggestions of online stores, HX ideas, ect please post up I'm still a noob at this...