PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this

The_Dark_Hacker
08-25-2004, 03:52 PM
i was browsing over at overclockers forum for some reason and i stubbled upon
this http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=323771

what do you think about this. i personally think it is alot of bull. i am not a chemist so i was wondering what you think.

mcnbns
08-25-2004, 04:13 PM
I was looking at that earlier today and I'm a bit skeptical, too. I didn't read the whole thread, but the guy that started it didn't have any solid info to tell anyone, so...

I put a little bit of Redline Water Wetter in my loop and didn't see miraculous 20 F drop (not that I was expecting it), so I don't see how this stuff should be that much different.

I'm not a chemist or a physicist, either, but this seems very far-fetched at best.

Sounds like someone was bored or very lonely. :p:

Arkangyl
08-25-2004, 04:23 PM
read my post (page 4)

A google of Dexcool (his old coolant) was page after page of complaints and warnings.

I'm guessing the Dexcool was hurting his temps and the new stuff got him to where he should be.

Also I think the drop was coolant temp drop not CPU temp

dcpusher
08-25-2004, 05:38 PM
I'd like for someone to test it, I got about half way done reading the first page and realized that there was 3 more pages so...

Karnivore
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
There is no magic beast, it doesn't exist.

Reflex1
08-25-2004, 09:37 PM
sounds like an advertisment ...

Gogeta
08-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by a5h
sounds like an advertisment ...

LOL. Exactly what I was thinking the minute I read the first post.

The Mofo
08-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Water Wetter and the likes doesnt even show a difference in a cars cooling system, let alone in our tiny h20 setups.

MaxxxRacer
08-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Does water wetter or zerex even do anything at all. As I am going to be purchasing my water cooling setup very very soon, I would like to know so i dont spend a few senseless dollars.

The_Dark_Hacker
08-29-2004, 01:27 PM
get zerex. you definatly need it. it doesnt help tempas it actually makes it worse but it does kill bacteria and prevent corrosions

EnJoY
08-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Just use swiftech's stuff, the HydryX, it's actually made for watercooling.

The_Dark_Hacker
08-29-2004, 01:50 PM
or if you feel like spending some money for simplicity just get some of THIS (http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=139)

you fill your entire system with it but you really dont have to worry about leaks because if it does your system will be fine. or you can just get some of THIS (http://www.koolance.com/products/product.html?code=COM-M33&category_id=5)

MaxxxRacer
08-29-2004, 04:28 PM
that stuff from Dtek is awesome. I will eventually get that. I wonder how good of heat capacitance it has. If it is close enough to water its diffinetly a good idea to get it. wont ever have to worry about water leaks killing your system.

but for now i will just get some of the zerex. Over at DD (where im ordering most of hte system from) they have little bottles of it for 4 dollars.

The_Dark_Hacker
08-29-2004, 05:14 PM
at the overclockers review posted on dtek they say the difference between water and fluid xp is like 1 degree celcius. it is great but $100+ a gallon

bh2k
08-29-2004, 05:40 PM
I just us everday distilled water...?

The_Dark_Hacker
08-29-2004, 05:44 PM
do you not use any additvies like antifreeze or something like that. because if you dont use anything that is not smart. there is nothing stopping biological growth or galvanic corrosion which are 2 bad things

The Mofo
08-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by The_Dark_Hacker
do you not use any additvies like antifreeze or something like that. because if you dont use anything that is not smart. there is nothing stopping biological growth or galvanic corrosion which are 2 bad things

Well first of all, ive been watercooling since 1998. As long as you dont mix metals and you are using pure clean water, such as distilled or certain bottled water brands, youre not going to see corrosion. I would be more worried about electrolysis over corrosion.

In my experience, ive mixed a copper loop with an alumn res.. Wasnt pretty. Ive disected several blocks over the years and there is no corrosion. What i have seen, testing pure water and water with additives, if you allow the blocks to completely air dry, you will see white scaley crap in the blocks no matter what you put in them. A lot of us dont keep our blocks long enough to have to worry about corrosion. I want to know what people do with their water after the drain their setups, IE: Those who use any sort of coolant? I hope they arent dumping it down the toilets or drains.

Another thing that worries me about additives or dyes is what happens if you get a leak? Say goodbye to your carpet!