PDA

View Full Version : compaq deskpro ep multiplier(s)?

reupbert
10-23-2002, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the software forum, but here we go...

Is there a way to find the maximum - not current - multiplier of a motherboard through software? hardware? I know the DIP switches on this board can reach up to 400mhz (6.0 * 66) but with the latest BIOS, I have read in off-site Compaq documentation that 466 is possible (7.0 * 66). Also, the latest ROMpaq (BIOS flash) says "supports the latest Pentium II processors". Their documentation conflicts on this particular model, it has the 440EX chipset limiting me to 66mhz FSB. But if it can do up to 11.5 as a multiplier, I could throw a celeron 766 in there with a slocket. But I don't want to buy all that just to find out that it doesn't work :( I've read in their forums, and I quote, "It (compaq's documentation) does not show you the maximum that Compaq supports, though engineering made it clear, that the boards are over engineered, and will most likely work with faster CPU's, though there is no guarantee how much faster, and in what environments". Of course, I've posted to their tech support forums and even emailed them, to no avail.