PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Repair? ^$*&(*#

WesM63
08-24-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm pissed right now. I finally got around to mounting my 120.3 and I must of nicked the core's in 2 spots when i was drilling out the holes on the 120.3.

I get everything hooked up start running water thru it, i'm looking in all the normal places for leaks and i'm thinking hell ya no leaks :) Then i just happen to look at the top of the case and there dribbles little bits of water from the two threads. Now i'm farking pissed cause i don't want to replace the rad and I allready have hole's in my case, now to my question... Is there a way to repair this? Or am i pretty much Fuxored? :brick:

:frag:

Anywase, help would be great. I can't post pics as my sis has my digicam.

BTW, It don't leak untill i turn the pump on or put pressure thru it. It don't leak when the pump is off.

sandman
08-24-2004, 05:29 PM
If you can figure out where you punctured it, you could dropa blob of solder over it. If you blocka couple fins it isn't a huge dela on the 120.3.

The Mofo
08-24-2004, 06:11 PM
To add what sandman said, you can always get some JB Weld and plug the holes. To bad you cant supply us a pic, make life so much easier. But try the jb weld route.

WesM63
08-24-2004, 06:17 PM
I sent this to sandman, but might not help much...

WesM63
08-24-2004, 06:18 PM
This is how it is mounted to my case..

Karnivore
08-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Wes, as this is a fairly important repair, and you probably don't want leaks later, I would stay away from JBWeld or the like, and only use as a last resort. If your not schooled in radiator repair it can be difficult to do a good job. I would suggest a look in your local yellow pages for Automotive Radiator repair, shouldn't cost to much, and you should be able to get an estimate before the actual service. Just get yourself a can of spray paint for after its repaired..

The Mofo
08-24-2004, 06:25 PM
I know exactly what you did. I did the same thing yet on the 120.1 when it first came out. The damn fan screws didnt have enough bite to open them tiny ass holes up.. I was lucky however, i nicked it and never penetrated. Looks like you whacked the core bank right there.. Try some JB Weld and it should seal. Expensive ass radiator to fubar though, ouch.

i_jester
08-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Is it an aluminum or copper core?

The Mofo
08-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Mine was copper, im sure his is as well bro.

WesM63
08-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Copper core

Yea very expensive radiator. Althou my new toy is 4x as expensive. Luckily it don't have much of anything to leak and if i'm screwing with it, I deserive to pay the price.

i_jester
08-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Then it would be fairly simple to solder it.

A propane torch, some flux and some plumbing solder is all you need.

Remove all the paint and crud from around the leak area. Flux it then heat it with the torch until the metal (not the torch) melts the solder. Fill the holes and let it cool. Test it. Paint it. Voila.

WesM63
08-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks jester, but one problem The shroud is covering the area need to be soldered.

i_jester
08-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Could you snip the shroud and bend it back to repair it? Then bend it back in place?

WesM63
08-24-2004, 06:49 PM
I could, but that would screw up how i hav e it mounted... i think at least.. if you look at the first pic i posted, the red box is where the hole is.. below the shroud and screw hole.

dcpusher
08-24-2004, 06:49 PM
cut it? you could just cut it a little and then bend it back.

i_jester
08-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Damnit. I just take it for granted that I have welding torches, arc welders, plumbing supplies and tools up the yin-yang.

Frustrating to see something I can't try to fix.:mad:

WesM63
08-24-2004, 06:53 PM
lol, yea i'm in limited supply here, i have a soldering iron, air compressor, dremel, drill and various wrenches n stuff like that.

quicksilverXP
08-26-2004, 02:34 PM
So where are the holes exactly? Did you drill into the fins... and the breaking of the fins broke off a piece of the channel or sumthing? Or you just just drilled a hole into the channel?

I remember I broke off a fin off a Black Ice as I tried to widen the fins so I can place a screw all the way through, but I nicked a fin off and it pulled a piece of the channel off. I just used a popcicle stick to apply some JB weld to the damaged area.

But I think if you just put a hole in the channel... that might take some soldering, as a hole in a channel vs. a chipped channel is entirely different.

I think pics would definitely help us.

WesM63
08-26-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure exactly what happened, but as I said in the first post. I cannot post pics because my sister has my Digital Camera!

The Mofo
08-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Hey Wes, wont dont you post a couple pictures of your sister, then we will decide whether or not to lynch her! :ROTF:

WesM63
08-26-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm sure there are some pics around here of her, if not......

http://www.dataeclipse.com/wes/wedding1.jpg