PDA

View Full Version : How much heat can the Maze4 dissipate?

PanaBob
08-23-2004, 05:56 PM
I have 13.8v*25a + 115watts from CPU, and 20w from pump. Is 475watts too much to expect to be able to cool? The heatercore is very large w/ two 12cm deltas at 120+cfm each. Via Aqua 1300lph pump btw
5-10c idle and 18-24c load depending on ambient temps

saaya
08-24-2004, 03:45 AM
have a pic of the heatercore? how thick is it?

tou have a 360W tec? then it wont work! never! you will need a second rad to get good temps!

PanaBob
09-17-2004, 05:01 PM
heres a pic
there are two 12cm deltas pulling air through there...

http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/a/panagrass/images/tec/externalsys.JPG

I'll get some more current pics in a bit
Got a DFI UT 754 and a 3200+ A64 in there now
only hitting 2.65Ghz somewhat stable

saaya
09-18-2004, 09:59 AM
so its 30cm long and 24cm tall? hard to tell from the pic... well id say its enough to cool a 360W tec... but another rad would probably get you better temps.

tecs have a fixed delta between the hot and the cold side, in theory its 70C for most tecs, in practise its more like 30C. so the cold side of the tec will always be 30C colder than the hot side.

so you will not break the 0C barrier with this thing as its really hard to keep the hot side of a 360W tec cool. we are talking about removing 550W of heat from the tecs hot side here and dissipating it in a radiator... i have never seen anybody play with a 360W tec before...

i might have a workaround to the delta barrier and get lower temps on the cold side, but i havent tried it yet. it will need tweaking and i rather want to do it myself as id feel bad if youd kill your hardware because i calculated something wrong :D

try the setup with the tec and block not mounted on the cpu first to see what the temps are like.

always have a finger on the psu switch to shut it all down!

i would recommend you to put the heatercore in the center of the box and close the sides so the air has to go through it, then add 2 more fans sucking out air of the box on the back side so you have a push pull setup for the rad.

what pump do you have? you will need a fast pumpto keep the tec cool with a maze4 block.

PanaBob
09-21-2004, 05:05 PM
seems my A64 runs a lot cooler. It'll dip to -1c sometimes at idle and load is like 10-15c so I'm doing fine now I think. sucks my 3200+ doesn't want to do more then 2.65Ghz

Tedinde
09-21-2004, 05:29 PM
I saw someone in a forum with one of the 360 watt tecs. it wasnt anything magic out of it. I still have a rig with a 226 watt tec, and i use a pyramid 36 amp variable power supply 5-17v adjustable. With gauges on the front for volts and amps. I keep my 226 @ 7v on a 1.6a @ 2.8ghz. My power supply is a monster, weighs about 35 lbs,

Question to you is what power supply are you using.

Via Aqua 1300?? I do like that cheap pump and i've built 5 rigs for customers using that cheap pump. But looking at your external, you cant have much "head" left on it.

But if i were you i'd upgrade to something bigger. I've got 3 danner's of different sizes if your looking PM me. My Model 7 i can wash my car with and it probably has a 8ft head on it. 700gph., and a model 5 that does about as good. Plus with a 2nd rad, You've got to be down to a trickle!!!

The electric used by a 360 watt tec and 25 amps being pulled is ungodly!!! I based bying my first vapochill years ago on the power savings running a 226 watt tec 24/7!!

Keep us posted how you do with that Tec, we are interested. The one block i saw that come with a 360 watt tec, "the Dominator" or something. Was like $199, plus when you figure in a Rad, and power supply to handle it, Your in Mach I price's.

My vapo running @ 4ghz,9800 pro, raptor and other goodies, the whole rig was only pulling 280 watt's @ 100% FAH load, Using my "wattage/Amp" plug in the wall meter.

Here's the 360 watt tec waterblock, i had the link in my favorites and im sure you've all seen it before

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-blc-106.html

PanaBob
09-25-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm using a 25A continous power at 13.8v which is exactly what the TEC specs are. Its $100 at Radioshack. I've hooked up the TEC to my PCP&C 510W w/ 12.5v so that should be around 20A- but I get much better cooling at load running at full 25A w/ 13.8v.

I have two Via 1300 Aquas. One is for the Maze4 w/ external rad and the second is for my GPU/NB w/ a procore in my case.

I know how much power the thing sucks so I only bootup when I have time (50hrs work week). I'm pretty ticked that I havn't gotten my 3200+ 1MB to 2.7Ghz stable but guess its just luck of the draw.
:stick:

I think more flow would reduce my load temps a bit- I may switch out the 1300 that powers the Maze4 w/ a beefier unit.

saaya
09-26-2004, 07:36 PM
that 199$ 360W tec block is a bad deal imo... a maze4 with a high gph pump and 50mm copper cold plates should do the job just as good if not better, and you dont need two loops like for that expensive block.

tec cooling is extremely expensive when going for 24/7, but its like a nitro for people who already have their rigs watercooled... you can use it for short bursts to chill the water for a weekend and get some nice ocs and numbers, maybe use the boost every weekend to up the clocks for gaming, but its really nothing anybody should do when he wants a 24/7 oc!

Dissolved
09-26-2004, 07:52 PM
you can build a chiller for about the cost of that tec block and parts..

id just get a decent water chiller, then you'll have a system able to cool cpu, nb/sb, vid, etc :)

But yea i Wouldnt waste a cent on that tec block :\