PDA

View Full Version : 2400+'s at NewEgg

WannaGoFast
10-22-2002, 03:17 AM
But who knows how many they have.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=AMD+ATHLON+XP+2400+%2F

WannaGoFast

N8
10-22-2002, 03:58 AM
Hey Wanna...I c u actually do peek in here every now and then ;)

Thx for the heads up...now all we need is the 2600's, 2700's, & 2800's so I can watch the price of the 2400's hit the flo :D

TheDude
10-22-2002, 06:41 AM
[N8]

Price has already dropped $4 from when I got mine a couple of weeks ago! Who figures these prices out anyway? First it went up $3 the next day and now has dropped a total of $7....I gave up playing that game, you have to wait months for it to really matter. I guess the 2200s and those incredible 1600s are the best deals right now. Can you imagine, before long we will be running AMD chips past 3GHZ with only a small OC!:D

N8
10-22-2002, 07:24 AM
Hehe, not me! :)

I ain't runnin a chip unless it does 500MHz OC...like a later-stepping 2400+ @ 2.5GHz...that would be nice :D

Yep, I'm weird like that ;)

ExtremeAMD
10-22-2002, 11:58 AM
Free shipping too... Nice. :D

RoydRage
10-22-2002, 04:47 PM
I ordered Mine late last night.. They stilll had an instock status on their WebSite... But they have all these first come, first serve, and Won't last warnings..... Makes me suspicious...

If it did not ship today, and it should because I paid the $3 for same day service. I'm going to cancel it right away. I missed the free shipping cause I got Next day air..

It should be here tomorrow, I can't wait to put it in my test Rig... I've Gotten nowhere with this XP2200/KD-7/512mg XMS3500...

12X172.. Ain't Cuttin it... Hope I This thing will Crank!

Royd

mdzcpa
10-22-2002, 04:59 PM
They are a little pricey, but they still have a bunch of XP 2400s in stock over at Nutrend.com.

N8
10-23-2002, 04:12 AM
RoydRage,

Newegg is known for NOT lying about their stock :)

I'd bet that if you were able to order it, you'll be getting it soon :D

RoydRage
10-23-2002, 04:40 AM
[N8],

You're Right.... I got the shipping notificaton last night.....

It will be here today!

Royd

N8
10-23-2002, 05:06 AM
Good news :)

P.S. They are OOS again as of right now :D

TheDude
10-23-2002, 05:48 AM
I have spent thousands with Newegg over the last couple of years and do not have a single complaint. I called to ööööö at them 1 time because they lost am RMA I returned. They swore to have it fixed by the end of the day and they did. Two days latter, Fedex dropped off a cool black Dragon Motherboard logo t-shirt and some case badges with an apology for the delay from Newegg.:D

Ozmodius
10-23-2002, 04:53 PM
AMD ATHLON XP 2400 /266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM( Click Auto Notify, 1st Come 1st Serve)

This is the statement on there site.

enjoy!!:banana:

RoydRage
10-23-2002, 09:20 PM
It's Here...... And I've been messin with it all night....

What a P.O.S. !!!

This won't even run 12X170.....

It's slower than the New XP2200 I just bought....

You know what? I'm sick of this... There I've read, and read about their yields running the sweet spot way less than they thought they would... And the the T'Bred was already tapped out... That's why the 2800 is delayed so much..

But this is rediculous...

I'm fed up.... I really think I'm going to get a Prome, IT-7, P4 3000 and Switch over to Intel... It's hurts me to say it.. But that's how I'm feeling......

Sigh... Royd

mdzcpa
10-24-2002, 03:31 AM
Not getting the 400 to 500 mhz overclocks that the review sites got is one thing, but not being able to get more than a 40mhz overclock is quite another.

Maybe there is something else going on we ca help with.

What temps have you been seeing and what voltages have you been using?

Did you remount the HSF to make sure you had good contact?

Have you had any voltage spikes and dips?

TheDude
10-24-2002, 04:32 AM
I agree ..there must be something else going on?:confused:

RoydRage
10-24-2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by mdzcpa
What temps have you been seeing and what voltages have you been using?

Did you remount the HSF to make sure you had good contact?

Have you had any voltage spikes and dips?

Thanks,

Well It booted up @ 12X160, Great huh... But I have no mouse for some reason....... ARRGGH!

I used the Keyboard to run Win Doctor... Temps Are 32C. System/ 32C. CPU

XMS3500 @ 3.25v. Conservative Timings
CPU @ 2.00v
PSU is New TTGI 520w.
Votages:
3.3v/5.2v/12.6v

I tried both lower CPU Voltages down to 1.85v, and Higher Up To 2.07v... It does not make a difference.. This thing is an extreme dog....

At least that AIRGA XP2200 I just bought runs 12X172... What a waste...

Royd

MuFf|n M@N
10-24-2002, 06:00 AM
FUBAR'd chip?

RoydRage
10-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Well I've asked them if I could RMA it... I only ran it for a little while, and was never over 2.00v, and never overheated.

It's just a dud I guess Man this thing won't do anything. Wierd with the mouse thing...

Why do I always have to buy 5 Chips before I get a good one? I want to be like the guys that post... WoW! I just bought my first AMD T-Bird chip, and built my first computer, and it and it runs 4500MHz.!

Ho Hum......

Royd

Spartacus
10-24-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by RoydRage
Well I've asked them if I could RMA it... I only ran it for a little while, and was never over 2.00v, and never overheated.

It's just a dud I guess Man this thing won't do anything. Wierd with the mouse thing...

Why do I always have to buy 5 Chips before I get a good one? I want to be like the guys that post... WoW! I just bought my first AMD T-Bird chip, and built my first computer, and it and it runs 4500MHz.!

Ho Hum......

Royd

Sorry you're having trouble Royd. Any answer on the RMA yet?

You must have received the chip that was meant for me, I always get the dud chips (although I just got a good 2400+). When the 1800+ was the hottest thing, I got one and it refused to do over 1.7G on air, meanwhile some guys with 1600+'s were running over 1.8G no problem. :confused:

It sure seems like your mobo may have issues though, no mouse and loss of stability at relatively low FSB overclocks (~170)? Is it a USB or PS/2 mouse? The other thing that seems weird is that your 2400+ is barely running at a stable stock speed. That just ain't normal.

One thing I noticed from your specs is it looks like your voltages are a tad high. Try setting your 5v to 5.1v max.

Just for the fun of it, try this setup:

XMS3500 @ 3.1v Agressive Timings
CPU @ 1.9v
Votages:
3.3v/5.1v/12.xv ("x" is whatever)

Set your CPU speed for 12.5 x 170.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with these settings and you can go further from there.

Do you have any strange PCI cards?
Do you have another mobo to test with?

zakelwe
10-24-2002, 11:14 PM
AMD do have a lot of dud chips when they first go to a new cpu. When the palamino came out I ordered a nice new shiny XP1700 1.47 and it would not boot at 133Mhz FSB , had to go down to a max of 121 FSB at STOCK multipliers, so it could not even hit 1.47GHz.

The replacment came in and it overclocked from 1.47 up to an amazing 1.496 .. a 26MHz overclock.

Nowadays I still buy these cpu's and any in the 1400 -1500 MHz range normally gets 1700-1800, ie a 300MHz overclock.

I've ordered an XP2400 but it might be yet another poor example if the luck is not with me.

The thing that most worries me is that normally it takes AMD 6 months to get it right, but this time the Barton is coming soon after the 333 FSB coming soon after 266 rev B's.So I would guess that by October 2003 you will have a nicely overclockable Barton :(

Or maybe you will not, maybe you'll be an Intel 0.09 nm fanboy :)

Regards

Andy

N8
10-25-2002, 03:55 AM
Spartacus,

Welcome to Xtreme :)

RoydRage
10-25-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus
Sorry you're having trouble Royd. Any answer on the RMA yet?

It sure seems like your mobo may have issues though, no mouse and loss of stability at relatively low FSB overclocks (~170)? Is it a USB or PS/2 mouse? The other thing that seems weird is that your 2400+ is barely running at a stable stock speed. That just ain't normal.

One thing I noticed from your specs is it looks like your voltages are a tad high. Try setting your 5v to 5.1v max.

Just for the fun of it, try this setup:

XMS3500 @ 3.1v Agressive Timings
CPU @ 1.9v
Votages:
3.3v/5.1v/12.xv ("x" is whatever)

Do you have any strange PCI cards?
Do you have another mobo to test with?

Spartacus,

Welcome.... Well Thing is... That this chip won't run over 12X160... And the other new chip a XP2200 gets into Windows @ 2100Mhz... So right there the chip just sucks..

I have tried adjusting the pot on the PSU.. And lowering the voltages.. But it's best when it's the highest it can go...

I agree that I should be able to go Higher FSB Unless the Mobo sucks also I don't know why this is...

In the Test rig I'm using 2 IBM Deckstars... So I no it's not the Drives...

PCI cards are Promise TX-2 Raid controller(Maybe this?)

Sound blaster Live 5.1??

And 3Com NIC....

I tell you... I always use these cards in all my rigs... And I Really Never get HIGH FSB OC's... Like 170's are it... Hmmm...

P.S. Haven't heard anything on the RMA I hope they take it back.... If it just ran stock speed I'd have nothing to complain about even though I would'nt be happy.... But since it won't I feel they should take it back....

They have pretty strict policys about taking back CPU's though.. something about returning it 7 days after getting it.... Well if they wait any longer before they respond I guess that will be that!

Thanks, Royd

Spartacus
10-25-2002, 08:09 AM
Royd,

The 2400+ may be just more sensitive to noise than your 2200+. If you do have a problem on your mobo, that may explain why the 2200+ performs better. On a "good" mobo, your 2400+ may well outperform your 2200+.

Regarding voltages.... too much is definately a bad thing (so said my digital electronics instructors years ago anyway). I potted my PS to run right about 5.07v under load. You may be overheating something on your mobo with the high 5v line. You don't want anything to be voltage starved, but after that point going higher is overkill. Also, when you overdrive the 5v line, the load on the PS increases and you increase the noise level and ripple. The 12v line is not as critical because you're not running any logic supply signals from it, mainly platter motors, fans and stuff.

Back to the FSB problem...

Just as a comparison, here's my setup:

KR7A-R (volt mods)
2 sticks of 256MB Samsung DTL 2700 (3.2v)
2400+ at 2250Mhz (180x12.5, 1.9v)
2 IBM 40G 60GXP's RAID-0
Gainward GF3
Soundblaster Live Value
Linksys 10/100 NIC
Hauppage PCI TV Card
Snazzi PCI video capture card

I'm running an older mobo, slower RAM, goofy PCI cards and have no problem at 180 FSB. You are still using your KX7 right? Latest BIOS?

Here's what I would do in this situation, go back to your 2200+ for now and fix the FSB issue (and the mouse). Make sure you have a good solid rig and then try the 2400+ again. In the meantime, go ahead and do the RMA if Newegg let's you, it can't hurt. I would really be surprised if AMD shipped a chip that close to it's top end, seems like it would have been sold as a 2200+.

Good luck Royd, and thanks for the welcome guys.

P.S. Don't know about the Promise RAID being a limiting factor, have you seen anybody running high FSB with this card?

P.S.S. I thought of another question... are you using any long wires on the volt mods on your KX7?

RoydRage
10-26-2002, 06:27 AM
Well,

New Egg Said They will RMA it..... So for this XP2400 "SEE YA"

I don't think I could do much worse....

I will try slightly lowering the Voltages on the PSU... Incase It hurt the board.. Spart.. You might be right.. because the board was better when it was new...

I also think that my PCI cards are hurting FSB, I have the same ones in my Main Rig Below.. And I can really never get a high FSB...

I'm going to the Computer show In NJ right now... And I'm going to get a KD-7 But with RAID... And use only onboard stuff.. Sound, Lan everything.... And See If I can get higher. That should tell me.

Thanks, Royd

MrIcee
10-26-2002, 06:47 AM
I doubt that it's the Promise TX2...that card is designed to run up to 66Mhz on the PCI bus.

Keep us informed of your progress with the 2400+ on the KD7-Raid. We know that board is 100% compatible with the 2400+, the KX7 is with the upgraded bios but you'll then only have the stock multiplier with no adjustment. We all hope that it's your hardware and not the 2400+ itself...good luck my friend:)

Randi:D

MACMAC
10-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by MrIcee
We know that board is 100% compatible with the 2400+, the KX7 is with the upgraded bios but you'll then only have the stock multiplier with no adjustment.

This is true, short of hardlocking the chip to whatever multiplier you desire, which is a pain in the ... ;)

RoydRage
10-26-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by MrIcee
I doubt that it's the Promise TX2...that card is designed to run up to 66Mhz on the PCI bus.

Keep us informed of your progress with the 2400+ on the KD7-Raid. We know that board is 100% compatible with the 2400+, the KX7 is with the upgraded bios but you'll then only have the stock multiplier with no adjustment. We all hope that it's your hardware and not the 2400+ itself...good luck my friend:)

Thank Man...

You guys are the greatest.... It's nice to know that you can call on your friends for help... So you're never alone..

I have got the KD-7 RAID version now... I got another PSU also.. They had the new Enermax 550w. They never have those at the shows so I got it.... AM I SPENDING ENOUGH. LOL!

Anyway... New Egg Was nice enough to take the chip back, So I'm going to exchange it.. For Now I will put that AIRGA XP2200 I just bought back in... That almost ran 2100Mhz. Stable... So It's New KD-7 Raid using all the onboard stuff, and New PSU... Ohh Just got the TTGI so it's NEW, New PSU And we will see... Have got the XMS3500 Right here ready to go..

P.S. Randi... do you know anyone using a TX-2 That has 190-200 FSB?

Thanks all..... Royd

MrIcee
10-26-2002, 03:58 PM
Royd:)

I have not seen anyone post to that effect yet...but give me a bit of time as I'll be working with and evaluating that MB and TX2 combo shortly:)

RoydRage
10-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Cool, Thanks Ice...

This is a Yellow board...

I've mounted a Vantec Copper Chipset cooler on the North Bridge, and mounted a Copper Block on the South... The board does not seem to have the heat issue on the South Bridge... System Temps on BIOS Are 28C. CPU / 29C. System This is at 1.85 Vcore... And without the benefit of WPCREDIT

I've Put the Week 34 AIRGA XP2200 Chip in That I bought 2 weeks ago.. the 2400's going back.

I've Written Zeros To the Drives Since I'll be using on board Raid Controller That's a must... You've got to do a low level format... When switching Controllers.

I've configured the Array, and formatted in Windows.... And 98'SE is installing as I'm writting this....

Rest of the System is Enermax 550w, Corsair XMS 3500 C2, 2 IBM Deckstar 41 GB Drives, Verto 4600 Ti. TermalRight SLK-800 w/ Vantec Toronado 84cfm. Fan.

Anticipation......

Royd

Spartacus
10-27-2002, 03:29 AM
Very nice machine you're building there Royd.
Something tells me you'll finally see those high FSB numbers...

RoydRage
10-27-2002, 06:57 AM
Very nice machine you're building there Royd.
Something tells me you'll finally see those high FSB numbers...

Spart,

Thanks.. This rig's sole purpose it to test stuff for my rig below..... My main rig has to be more stable and reliable than a "Dude - Your Gettin A Dell" LOL!

I use it for digital Photography/ Designing software / and Web Desgign... It has all my important stuff on it, and and has to be X-tremely reliable. I can't have failures and issues interupting my work.... I have one program In here that I'm doing for a company that I've invested 2000 hours in!

Anyway.... News is you are right..... I have entered Windows for the First time @ 180MHz. FSB!.... That definately make a bigger difference in performance compared to increasing the multiplier alone....

And so far it looks like the Highpoint controller is at least as fast as the Promise... At least according to ATTO, (will it be reliable though?)

PROBLEM... Just like the other KD-7.... This thing is a Bear to get booted..... It runs stable once it is... But You have to on-off / Hit Insert / Hit delete etc.. and generally go nuts to get it to go... The Powerlight comes on, and the Hard Drive light locks, and it just sits there! Has anyone else expierienced ths.... Both my KD's have done it.... Man it really makes it tuff to change settings and test....

Saundra Mem Scores CAS2, Stock settings Are 2700 / 2550...... That's the high for me...

Royd.

mdzcpa
10-27-2002, 07:43 AM

PROBLEM... Just like the other KD-7.... This thing is a Bear to get booted..... It runs stable once it is... But You have to on-off / Hit Insert / Hit delete etc.. and generally go nuts to get it to go... The Powerlight comes on, and the Hard Drive light locks, and it just sits there! Has anyone else expierienced ths.... Both my KD's have done it.... Man it really makes it tuff to change settings and test....

Have you flashed to the newer BIOS...makes a big difference:)

RoydRage
10-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Have you flashed to the newer BIOS...makes a big difference:)

Actually yes with the other non-Raid version I did... And if anything I think that it was worse... Problem is that I run Win98' SE... And It might react differently because of the O.S.

It's the same way with the Nvidia drivers...

Another BIG Issue is that I have IRQ Problems.... With XP it's probably ok....

But Under 98' I have The Unboard Sound, and Nic on IRQ 10... And the Raid Controller is on the the Video Card.... ARGGGHH!

You can't move any cards around so I don't know what to do at this point. It's not unstable but One thing is, I can't get on the internet with it... I a wanted to do all the updates...

Hmmm...

Royd

mdzcpa
10-27-2002, 11:50 AM
I know it's easy for me to say, but it sounds like a good time for a fresh OS install...and Win XP Pro. I haven't had to fiddle around with IRQ's since I made the switch last January. Well worth the time and effort.

Wolf
10-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Yeah man get rid of win98 that os sucks compared to w2k pro or winxp. Trust me make the switch and don't look back.

Spartacus
10-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Actually yes with the other non-Raid version I did... And if anything I think that it was worse... Problem is that I run Win98' SE... And It might react differently because of the O.S.

Hey Royd,

Good to hear things are going your way now. :toast:

I run Win98SE on all of my boxes at home too. I always patch the BIOS with Modbin to allow me to turn off ACPI, seems like it always screws up the IRQs in 98SE. Win2K on my main machine at work handles ACPI better I think. Then again, I stress my machines harder at home than I do at work. ;)

Very good idea having a test bed for parts before upgrading your "bread & butter" machine. I'd do that too if I ever did any thing important. :D

RoydRage
10-27-2002, 01:58 PM
I know it's easy for me to say, but it sounds like a good time for a fresh OS install...and Win XP Pro. I haven't had to fiddle around with IRQ's since I made the switch last January. Well worth the time and effort.

I know you're right... Sooner or later I have to switch over but I have so much hardware/Software It would be nightmare to get everything working.. I have a friend that has gone through this.... Then There is security issues, and I HATE the fact that Big Brother takes a picture of you system, and if you change a NIC or something He makes you call, or your software that you paid big bucks for stops working! I can't stand this... I change stuff all the time, I would go nuts! Plus How do we exactly know what it's reporting back to them.... Just What they tell us.... I think the whole thing stinks...

I know that it's more stable, and faster... I have it on my Lappie... (Cool one btw.. A Toshiba With a 2.2gig P4 Desktop Chip A Half Gig of RAM, a DVD/CDRW and A Removable Wireless Optical Keyboard, and Mouse) But also.... It just looks a little Too Mac-ish for me right now.

Thanks, Royd

RoydRage
10-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Hey Royd,

Good to hear things are going your way now. :toast:

I run Win98SE on all of my boxes at home too. I always patch the BIOS with Modbin to allow me to turn off ACPI, seems like it always screws up the IRQs in 98SE. Win2K on my main machine at work handles ACPI better I think. Then again, I stress my machines harder at home than I do at work. ;)

Very good idea having a test bed for parts before upgrading your "bread & butter" machine. I'd do that too if I ever did any thing important. :D

I'm just too comfortable with it... Plus all the reasons above...

I would like to try doing this with ACPI... Could you detail the proceedure?

Things are a little better with it.... One thing that I have found that helps with the no-booting issue is I let the BIOS handle the RAM settings.... What is it? By Spf or something... Ok so Now I have no control, and I don't know how it's setting it up, BUT. the Saundra Mem scores are actually a little higher at the same FSB, and the system is more stable... So.... wtf?

I'm burning in the RAM Looping Sandra Mem benchmark.. @180 FSB and 3.25v The Chip is not broken in either... So I'm thinking of looping Sandra Mutimedia, or Arithmatic CPU Bench.. Or maybe something like Prime, which I've had, but never used...

Thanks, Royd

Spartacus
10-27-2002, 03:12 PM
I'm just too comfortable with it... Plus all the reasons above...

I would like to try doing this with ACPI... Could you detail the proceedure?

Yeah, I still like Win98SE too.... fast and stable game OS. Some people say it's crash prone, but I have no problems with it. I'll have to switch eventually too though as more and more apps will expect to see Win2K/XP. I'll be switching to Win2K Pro when the time comes.

The ACPI thing is pretty easy:

Grab Modbin here:

http://www.biosmods.com/download.php

There are two main versions of the utility (Modbin & Modbin6) I don't know which version you'll need for the KD7, I'd try Modbin6 first. If it chokes when you try to load the BIOS file, try the other version. Each version has several update versions available, I'd go with the latest non-beta version.

Just start the utility (under Win98 is ok) and select your BIN file (KD7-BIOS.BIN or whatever). The utility isn't "mouse-able" so use your arrow keys. Arrow down to "Edit Setup Screen" on the left side menu. You'll see a tree structure of all of the BIOS menu options. Arrow down to "Power Management" where you'll see that "ACPI Function" is blacked out (disabled). Arrow over to it and press enter. Then arrow down and set the cursor at "Normal" and press enter. The "x" should jump to the Normal menu option. Then hit escape and arrow up to the File menu option on the left side, press enter and Save the BIOS file.

Then just flash the patched BIOS file using your normal routine. After the flash, go into setup and you'll see the new ACPI Function option under Power Management.

I should warn you that with ACPI set to OFF the processor will never go into IDLE mode, it will be full tilt all the time. On my system the difference between "IDLE" (no stressfull apps) and full load is only 2-3C degrees with ACPI set to OFF. The soft off power functions still work fine though. I prefer running with ACPI OFF under Win9x as you have control over your IRQs that way and your devices aren't all set for the same IRQ, the system seems to run faster/smoother. From what I've seen, ACPI works better with Win2K/XP.

As always YMMV....

petervandamned
10-28-2002, 07:14 AM
unlocking :)
no prob
only my friend Jason his abit has some problems

RoydRage
10-28-2002, 11:45 AM
You Know I just wanted to Give Props to NEW EGG...

I Was just sending the chip back to them, and printing out the RMA info... And I noticed that It Specifies:

A FULL REFUND W/ NO RESTOCKING FEE!

Inspite of their policy requiring a 15% Restocking Fee, AND NO REFUNDS Just Exchanges On CPU's ...

You Have to check you Agree to this before buying The Chip....

That's Pretty Rare and nice for an Internet company.. I have spent thousands with them... And I'm Glad I did.

I'm just going to turn around and order another :-) This Chip Really is just such a poor example that it won't even run stock speed...

Shame on AMD's QC.

RoydRage.

^^Gord^^
10-29-2002, 01:31 AM
Has anyone got a 2400+ working on a KX7???

I've got a KX7 and was gonna get a 2400+ next week. I'm really happy with my KX7 I don't want to have to swap it :(

MrIcee
10-29-2002, 03:16 AM
Gord:)

Welcome to Xtreme my friend:)

There are 2 ways to run the XP2400 on the KX7. The first involves simply flashing to the latest bios which enables the board to recognize the CPU at it's stock muliplier, tho that's the only multiplier you'll have. The second involves closing the 5th L3 bridge on the CPU as shown here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1261). This enables the CPU to utilize multi's from 5x to 12.5x....which will allow you to overclock via the FSB which = high bandwidth high performance.:)

^^Gord^^
10-29-2002, 03:38 AM
Thanks MrIcee

Cool, looks like I can hang on to my KX7 a little longer :toast: