PDA

View Full Version : I Give Up

WeaponX
08-19-2004, 03:29 AM
I need to buy a video card this weekend and I'm tired of going back and forth between X800 XT and 6800 Ultra so I've decided to let someone else decide. It's pretty much either or, BUT I have a PolarFlo VGA block that's made for ATi cards, the PolarFlo rep "says" that it should fit the 6800 Ultra. Here is the block:

http://www.boomspeed.com/naviblue/GPUwaterblock.JPG

I've been with ATi cards for about 4 years now and I think I'm ready for a change yet, I'm scared the block won't fit... Anybody else with any input, it would help a great deal, thanks.

Mini
08-19-2004, 03:43 AM
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?p=423812#post423812

Thats reason enough...

Bungo
08-19-2004, 04:10 AM
Those tests just looks to good to be true :)
It almost smells a bit fishy? *Hoo3h3h3*

saaya
08-19-2004, 04:39 AM
they benched the counterstrike source game, not half life2!

but since counterstrike source is only using very basic graphics i guess the nvidia cards will be even slower in half life 2.

i wouldnt base my buying decision on a bnchmark results of a beta version of game wich isnt even released...

craig588
08-19-2004, 04:41 AM
Driverheaven is basicly run by ATI. The owner even indirectly said so.

Just look at the review, they say they disabled all of nvidias optimizations (The ones that don't affect image quality too) and left all of ATIs enabled.

EDIT: Oops, I thought this was a different review, nevermind.

Geforce4ti4200
08-19-2004, 10:27 AM
the poll for the x800xt is unanaymous save for one vote. the 6800 may shine in doom3 but theres other games besides that where the x800xt absolutely owns!

Shade00
08-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
the poll for the x800xt is unanaymous save for one vote. the 6800 may shine in doom3 but theres other games besides that where the x800xt absolutely owns!

It's not unanimous then, is it?

I would go for the X800XT... it's just a great card. I like Nvidia, and the 6800 would be my choice if I was on a budget. Since you're not, go for the XT.

WeaponX
08-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks for everyone's input guys and it looks like ATi is winning and I'm going to have to buy tomorrow morning, unless the poll does a U turn :)

WeaponX
08-19-2004, 06:40 PM
I've decided and I've decided to go with the votes and get an X800 XT. BUT, I could not find one at a reasonable price so I just bought a Sapphire Toxic X800 w/VIVO in hopes of later modifying it to an XT :)

slavik
08-19-2004, 07:32 PM
I thought that the community (we) agreed that:

ATI -> better DX

nVidia -> better OGL

Also, I suggest that u get the ATI card, because when STALKER comes out, it will put HL2 to shame with 100% dynamic lighting, realword physics (if a car is on it's roof and you walk on top of it, it will seesaw when going from one end to the other)

STALKER = hardcore DX9 game and upto 8 endings I believe ...

the same guys made firestarter, which is basically a quake like game. no story, just walk and shoot

r3b0rN
08-19-2004, 10:40 PM
i have far cry and doom 3 and a machine that runs both fairly decently... but i still love to play a game of cs :D so i think ill be addicted to cs : s ... definately buying stalker tho, just doubt ill get addicted like i have to cs.

Mini
08-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by slavik
I thought that the community (we) agreed that:

ATI -> better DX

nVidia -> better OGL

Also, I suggest that u get the ATI card, because when STALKER comes out, it will put HL2 to shame with 100% dynamic lighting, realword physics (if a car is on it's roof and you walk on top of it, it will seesaw when going from one end to the other)

STALKER = hardcore DX9 game and upto 8 endings I believe ...

the same guys made firestarter, which is basically a quake like game. no story, just walk and shoot

Ok... I guess you havnt heard at about HL's Fysics engine... It should be the most advanced ever...

And i dont think Stalker looks all that apealing... Great game... But like doom3 all they talk about is light effects and how nice it is...

I like HL's marketing ;o) "Hey look at our very nice graphics... Maybe doom3 er better but ours is still nice, and also notice facial muscles... And look at our insane fysics engine... Everything reacts to each other... Its unbelievable"

And you come with an example or stalker beeting it with light effects and seesawing on a car?? :smileysex

drcrawn
08-20-2004, 07:08 AM
yes but wait until PS3.0 games come out, then how will ATI perform? Oh wait...
If there is one thing I learned from the Doom3 disaster, its that the performance of one single game doesnt mean a thing, even if its HL2 or Doom3, or CS.
I assume nVidia is getting killed in this test b/c of ps2.0. Fine...I'm not concerned at all...HL2 is only one game...one engine...
nVidia will figure out a way to make the engine run faster too....

khellandros66
08-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Yeah the physics engine in HL2 is gonna be very hard to beat, however the character models on FarCry are still superior to anything on the market. The ideal game would be like this

Doom 3 Lighting

HL2 Physics Engine

FarCry 3DModeling and water

And much better textures cause overall non of the games blow me away as far as textures go. Doom 3 when you get to close they become to blocky, HL2 looks like half of them where done with crayons and FarCry's look too cartoony. I mean just go out take some photo use PS to retrace over them and walla instant textures that are photo realistic. HL2 water is horrible, its way too noisy and become overly reflective, its suppose to have depth, not b a mirror with ripples.

~Bob