PDA

View Full Version : DI questions!The answers could help n00bs like me and save some time to PROS later :)

yaboc
08-17-2004, 07:30 PM
hey,

I'm completely n00b to DI cooling :banana: (currently on TEC :slobber: ). but i was looking at the pics and it looks like a pretty simple cooling solution (and i like it :smileysex ). however i have few questions about it :confused: . first i would like to start off with the containter/pipe questions. basically it's a copper plate with a copper pipe soldered/brazed vertically + it's extremely well insuated to prevent condensation and freezing of the area around the socket. are there any special tips i should know before attempting to make the pipe? (thicknes of the plate and pipe, pipe lenght, diameter etc). also when the DI is there a cover for the pipe - so the DI keeps better temp and doesn't melt faster? also have you ever seen a DI setup in the case? (so the pipe position is parraler with the desk/ground? - this is also the quesiton i have if the same cooling method is usedo on graphic card). for graph card is there a diff pipe or it's basically the same + maybe a bit smaller? how long does a full pipe of DI last with the PC on? (hours? days? weeks?;)). i read the other thread about the DI prices and they're aren't so bad (just need to know the asnwer to the previous question to calc the price). also where should be the supply of the DI stored (in case you run out during playing a very addictive game ;))? just pop it into the fridge, and while grabbing some snack get some DI ?:) o yeah one more question. in terms of performance and price which is more efficient way of cooling DI or phase change? probably the monthly maintance cost of both is about the same. those are all of my questions for now, but porbably soon will be coming with more. thanks in advance :toast:

ok more questions. after taking a look at the pics area i see how the pipe for the graph card looks like. it has the flexure so the dry ice goes all the way to the bottom where it touches the plate. also what brought my attention was the lenght of the pipe. is the length giving better temps (longer = lower temp) cuz some of em are like 1-2 feet. i would be interested in inside setup, but now i see that there will be a little problem. the pipe for the cpu can not be straight because the DI will lay on the side of the pipe instead of the copper plate - and will not give good temps. so i'm thinking that it shoud be designed similarly to the GPU pipe, however the DI still will not be in full contact with the plate. or maybe it will if you put ALOT od DI there. again thanks for any info on any of the questions

yabOC

bh2k
08-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Dry ice is not a 24/7 solution. A full container lasts maybe....5 hours for me, which for 24/7 would be a lot of replacing Secondly dry ice doesn't melt, it sublimes which means it skippes the liquid stage and goes strait to a gas. Your oc, temp, and stability really depend upon the mass of the copper in the container. The more copper mass and surface area the better. What I mean is having the most copper you can exposed to the dry ice and addative mix. I've personally never see a di container in a case and don't think I ever will because obvisouly the alcohol or ethanol would run out the side of a container. I store DI in a basic cooler. It lasts longer if you remove extra air for like newspapers or something.

yaboc
08-21-2004, 07:07 PM
ahh ok thanks, u just shattered my DI dream ;).hmm i wonder if you could make DI in case with the containter for CPU similar in shape to GPU one of course keeping the size of CPU pipe? so you would have to cut a whole in the top of the case and make "chimney" out of the pipe. also you said that some gas is going to come out from the sides of the isulation ( i assume it's flammable). does it make difference if it's in the case or outside. still the gas coming out from the sides in open air system can catch a sprak or whatever? don't you think. anyways thanks for sharing and it looks like i'm gonna have to go with phase change.

Reflex1
08-29-2004, 02:04 AM
i don't think the "chimney" idea is very good.

ppl use DI for 1 time benches etc. as it's cheap for the cooling u get outa it.