PDA

View Full Version : AGOIA next steps?

RussianBlue
10-21-2002, 07:51 AM
High guys, fairly new in these parts but not completely wet behind the ears. I could use a little help here on a few things...

Details of my first 'successful' overclocking experience:

ABIT KD7-RAID
AGOIA Y 0213 1600@1920@1.9vcore 9.5 x 202FSB
SLK-800 w/ Vantec Tornado
512 XMS3200C2 @ 2.9v 202FSB CAS2 2T
Abit Siluro MX440 till my Golden Sample returns
Antec Truepower 430

Ran 6 hours of Prime95, multiple 3DMark loops (i.e. stable enough for me : )

Memory has been burned in at 2.9v for about 36 hours at 202 FSB with Sandra Memory burn-in wizard @1.9 GHZ

Problem
Can't seem to get the memory to go any higher than 202, even with these semi-weak timings and haven't been able to test thoroughly because....

...my FSB being so far out of whack is corrupting my Windows system files every time I crank up the FSB one more tick. This requires me to re-format and re-install, a pain obviously with Win XP. Also a pain with Win2000. There's got to be an easier way to repair. I know you guys don't have to re-install every time you hit a FSB that doesn't work. Do you??

After first install I Ghosted the good XP partition to a .ISO file and tried to restore it (restored 'partition from image'), and it helped a little, I got to the Windows 'Knight-Rider' screen, but couldn't get in and had to re-format.

I've tried the XP recovery console, but don't really understand it - tried Fixboot, Chkdsk and few other commands to no avail.

So I really can't isolate that it's the memory as I haven't even had a chance to adjust much of anything before crashing in my FSB experimentation.

Another question:
Which is the most stable bus to work off of when experimenting with high FSBs? IDE, PCI, or RAID. Where should I install my hard drive and OS which will be affected least by the high FSB?

Interesting side note - I was able to run my TEKRAM U160 SCSI card and 15k Cheetah up to about 190 FSB on the PCI bus and then the same thing happened when i upped the FSB a few ticks- a corrupted System 32/Config file (pretty sure that was the one).

My questions in summary
Likely it's the memory or the KD7 maxed out (or neither)?
Best way to restore a windows install after FSB HD corruption?
What's the most stable bus to work off of, IDE PCI RAID?

All suggestions appreciated in advance!!

N8
10-21-2002, 08:11 AM
1) I'd guess the KD7 as others are having similar problems.
2) Norton ghost has always worked like a charm for me, and takes mere minutes to get your OS back up.
3) Not sure there...from what I hear RAID is more stable than IDE(think the controller's independent of the FSB, not positive) but I've had no HD problems @ 220FSB+ on my 8K3A.

Good luck :)

RussianBlue
10-21-2002, 09:18 AM
N8,

assuming I can live with a 200 FSB, which I can, if you get a minute to describe how you restore from Norton Ghost, I'd appreciate it.

To make the image, I just boot with a Ghost floppy, and then write an image file to an untouched partition on the same hard drive. To restore, I boot the floppy again, and hit restore from image. Do you re-format before restoring? If so, with what program? Partition Magic? FDISK?

I noticed yesterday for the first time that FDISK will not see my NTFS partitions but only FAT32.

Thanks.

RB

N8
10-21-2002, 09:52 AM
I do reformat with a 98 boot disk 1st but I'm not so sure you have to. I will try it sometime without formatting first to see how it works...and btw, I use FAT32 even for my Win2k OS. Hey, make the image and if the restore don't work right w/o reformat'n first, then reformat and it will work like a charm :)

That is as long as Norton handles NTFS as well as it does FAT32 :D

RussianBlue
10-21-2002, 11:28 AM
I think the story with Ghost is that you must Ghost to a FAT32 drive. You can Ghost an NTFS or FAT32 partition, and you can restore either one, but the drive you initially write to cannot be NTFS.

The definitive Ghost guide, as well as a number of others, are at www.radified.com. The guy who does that site I think is very very bright, IMHO.

rb

RussianBlue
10-21-2002, 11:30 AM
edit: must Ghost to a FAT32 partition, and must initally write to a FAT32 partition

RussianBlue
10-21-2002, 11:44 AM
edit: must Ghost to a FAT32 partition, and must initally write to a FAT32 partition