PDA

View Full Version : Whats your defenition of stable?

ExtremeAMD
10-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Someone told me this isn't worthy of being called stable. What do you guys think? I was told to run Prime95/Sandra/3Dmark all at the same time. That's kinda... ouch, lol.

http://bsartist618.homestead.com/files/stableornotxtreme.JPG

Hardass
10-20-2002, 02:58 PM
If you can run prime95 Torture test for a couple hours it should be stable. Or try running 3D bench looped 5 or 6 times.

Bravo
10-20-2002, 02:59 PM
i dont run less then 24 hours to determine a CPU safe speed for Folding/DivX conversion.

Hardass
10-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Sinnah
i dont run less then 24 hours to determine a CPU safe speed for Folding/DivX conversion.
I can,t have a folder down for 24 hrs, I run toast for 2 hours max and never have a problem with stability. that,s me though.:D

Ewok
10-20-2002, 04:58 PM
"Whats your defenition of stable?"

stable means stable and thats how i define stable, it DOES NOT crash or corrupt anything.....EVER. If it does, it AINT stable.

If i can pass SEVERAL runs of prime for 2 hours each, without a single fail at that speed, then ill pass it as stable. Prime has NEVER failed to pick up an instability on mine and every time after several 2 hour runs of prime passes, its proven to be 100% stable at all times, so its not once been wrong. The only time it has failed to pick up an instability was when I only ran prime once, then it can miss slight instabilities, hence the need to run several times to make sure. You dont need to run anything longer than 2 hours at a time, just do several 2 hour runs, they can be back to back or the next day.

Of course some programs crash just because they are, well, öööö programs. Written by monkeys instead of intelligent humans in which case you obviously ignore them for stability tests anyway.

I wouldnt pass anything as stable unless it can pass the above prime tests, hence I wouldnt run anything other than prime to test it.

For graphics overclocks you obviously use something which tests that part of the pc, such as a few hours of 3dmark loops, but theres no point in doing that unless its passed the prime tests FIRST because only then will you know that the cpu and memory IS stable, so any crash must then be your graphics overclock.

Tweaked!
10-20-2002, 05:30 PM
So, how do I do a full prime test with a duallie? Is it possible to run 2 instances of prime? Or do you think running prime on top of folding would be good enuf?:confused:

IFMU
10-20-2002, 06:09 PM
I basiclly agree with Ewok there. If it has probs runnin something that I know is a good program, then its not stable.
Thats a good question there Tweaked.
Ive never really tested thoroughly for stability on my Tyan since I cant OC it really. Semi-plannin on gettin another duallie and that one will be OC'd. So will need that answered eventually.

Hardass
10-20-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
So, how do I do a full prime test with a duallie? Is it possible to run 2 instances of prime? Or do you think running prime on top of folding would be good enuf?:confused:
Running Prime and folding is like running just prime. Remember folding only uses spare cpu cycles, with prime running there are no spare cpu cycles. So folding just sits there idle.:)

Nohto
10-31-2002, 01:43 PM
That is a good question. According to the Prime inst you can run a test on both processors at the same time.

To fully utilize a dual processor machine, you must run two copies of prime95.exe. Run one copy of prime95 as described above. Run the second copy of prime95.exe with the -A1 command line argument. Make sure the second copy also has the "Start at Bootup" option set.

Dual processor machines can also improve performance by setting processor affinity in Windows NT. Use the Advanced/Affinity dialog box to do this.
How exactly do you do this? Want to test my k7d dual 1600 oc to dual 2100's. I used xp 1600's also. They seem to work fine.

jarthel
11-01-2002, 04:22 AM
I upgraded my PC for 1 major reason. I want to speed up my divx encoding. If it's stable on doing that job then it's stable for me. My setup has run 2 days straight encoding divx. :)

I don't believe in running prime, sandra and other benchmarking software to test for stability. I did run CPU STability overnight but that was after I did divx encoding and I don't have any more dvd for encoding. :) But if I do, I'll use that instead of CPU Stability.

jayel

ps. I didn't upgrade my PC to run benchmark software. :)

felix88
12-07-2002, 11:26 PM
ok, so i've been running prime95 for the last 3 or 4 hours and folding. if i look in my task manager they both get about 50/50 cpu time.

should i try running a loop of 3dmark as well? or just assume it's stable and let it fold full boar?

i think i'm going let it fold cuz i know the team needs it right now