PDA

View Full Version : would this work?

beau_zo_brehm
08-08-2004, 08:12 AM
ok, if i were to purchase this a/c unit http://shop.store.yahoo.com/air-n-water/kcwiairco.html what else would i need to get a chilled water system going? a resevoir, pump, waterblocks.... yada yada.... i wouldnt need a radiator or heater core because thats provided in the a/c unit, correct? so how does the evaporater work? do i need a dehumidifer? just tell me the parts i would need how how to use them pease :D

Cheers! :toast:

Beau

Frozendeath
08-08-2004, 12:28 PM
You have the basic idea, imo I would get a 5200 btu unit sold at walmart (fedders brand) That model has worked great for me (no need to bend many of the tubes only needed to bend the cap tube a bit) and was $80 6 weeks ago.

You will need a resevior either a small cooler or make one your self (foam + silicon seal works good)

Need a pump, something say 300gph or so

Need tubing , Tygon will work good (as it can withstand the low temps without cracking) Check www.dangerden.com for it

Need water blocks, again I would check dangerden

Need insulation, homedepot / lowes will sell rubatex hose insulation, will also need to insulate the socket and surrounding areas of the mobo. So that means Conformal coating, neoprene, dielectric grease, check dangerden again for a better idea of whats out there.

You will need a coolant ..... De-Icer windshield washer fluid (any washer fluid that is very low temp say -35 to - 40 C)....

Now once you get all that the basic idea is this:

Modifiy the AC unit so that the evaporator can be fully submersed in your resevior. Then run your tubing from that to all your waterblocks, you can either put the pump inline or submerse it in the res. then basically insulate the hell out of everything, there are guides online that are easy to follow. Fill the system with the coolant, and thats it.

The evaporator will chill the liquid and the pump will pump that to all the blocks. So remember the smaller the res the faster the pull down time (mine is 1.5 gallons total and takes about 15 mins to go from room temp to 0 and about 5 more to reach its max low of -30 C with no load).

Just watch for condensation.

Hope that helps you get started

beau_zo_brehm
08-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Frozendeath
You have the basic idea, imo I would get a 5200 btu unit sold at walmart (fedders brand) That model has worked great for me (no need to bend many of the tubes only needed to bend the cap tube a bit) and was $80 6 weeks ago.

You will need a resevior either a small cooler or make one your self (foam + silicon seal works good)

Need a pump, something say 300gph or so

Need tubing , Tygon will work good (as it can withstand the low temps without cracking) Check www.dangerden.com for it

Need water blocks, again I would check dangerden

Need insulation, homedepot / lowes will sell rubatex hose insulation, will also need to insulate the socket and surrounding areas of the mobo. So that means Conformal coating, neoprene, dielectric grease, check dangerden again for a better idea of whats out there.

You will need a coolant ..... De-Icer windshield washer fluid (any washer fluid that is very low temp say -35 to - 40 C)....

Now once you get all that the basic idea is this:

Modifiy the AC unit so that the evaporator can be fully submersed in your resevior. Then run your tubing from that to all your waterblocks, you can either put the pump inline or submerse it in the res. then basically insulate the hell out of everything, there are guides online that are easy to follow. Fill the system with the coolant, and thats it.

The evaporator will chill the liquid and the pump will pump that to all the blocks. So remember the smaller the res the faster the pull down time (mine is 1.5 gallons total and takes about 15 mins to go from room temp to 0 and about 5 more to reach its max low of -30 C with no load).

Just watch for condensation.

Hope that helps you get started

thanks, im actually going to be building a watercooling setup here next week for the rig im also building next week. it will be my first time doing either.... if i feel like i handled the basic water cooling well then ill eventually modify it and put in the chiller.

Thanks, and Cheers! :toast:

Beau

OCme
08-09-2004, 09:43 AM
sounds good beau... kep us posted

beau_zo_brehm
08-14-2004, 01:31 PM
does this look like an ok idea for the chiller?

Frozendeath
08-14-2004, 02:16 PM
That looks good, may I make 2 suggestions:

First try to get the coldest liquid to the cpu so make that the first of the blocks to get hit.

Secondly In my experience the coldest of the cold (we are talking 4 C temp difference from personal experience) is at the bottom of the res, so put a tube on the pump inlet that goes all the way to the bottom of the res.

And lastly along with sucking off the bottom try to put the other tube where the "warmer" liquid comes in at on the other side of the evap. The idea is that we want the liquid to pass over the evap as much as possible so that way you force it to go through the evap before being pumped again. If you have the two leads to close you can pump warmer liquid around and end up with bad temps on the cpu while at the same time having a super cool res.

Heat transfer is key ;)

beau_zo_brehm
08-15-2004, 09:56 AM
That looks good, may I make 2 suggestions:

First try to get the coldest liquid to the cpu so make that the first of the blocks to get hit.

Secondly In my experience the coldest of the cold (we are talking 4 C temp difference from personal experience) is at the bottom of the res, so put a tube on the pump inlet that goes all the way to the bottom of the res.

And lastly along with sucking off the bottom try to put the other tube where the "warmer" liquid comes in at on the other side of the evap. The idea is that we want the liquid to pass over the evap as much as possible so that way you force it to go through the evap before being pumped again. If you have the two leads to close you can pump warmer liquid around and end up with bad temps on the cpu while at the same time having a super cool res.

Heat transfer is key ;)

thanks for the advice! but u do think i have the general concept of what needs to be done?

GAMER512
08-15-2004, 12:10 PM

lol I'm using that same 5200 BTU A/C from walmart and its been working fine so far.

Frozendeath
08-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by beau_zo_brehm
thanks for the advice! but u do think i have the general concept of what needs to be done?

Yep you got it :)