PDA

View Full Version : my new chiller project.

Blergo
08-06-2004, 07:21 AM
Hi all,
I am buildign a new waterchiller out of an old dehumidifier i got given, my old chiller (also made from a dehumidifier) will reach -20*C. so far this one looks very promising, i started her up last night with the evap in a bowl of antifreeze ( only half submerged, half open to air and no insulation on the bowl) and it reached -13*C after about an hour. i just put the evap into a coolbox now and half filled the coolbox full with windscreen washer fluid (and then i run out :() but the temp of the fluid when i started was 23*C, i will go and check on it again in say 20 minutes and let you know how it's going. :) will try and get some pics aswell when my other pc is back up.
owen

EDIT: now at 12*C after 15 minutes :) will check it again in about half an hour. how's it looking so far guys? i think its doing quite well seing as the evap is only half in the fluid :)

Blergo
08-06-2004, 07:48 AM
ok, i couldnt resist so i went out and checked it again ( 15 mins since i last checked it) its at 3*C now :D thats from 20*C to 3*C in 30 minutes... bit faster so far than my old chiller :)
owen

EDIT: now at -3*C after another 15 minutes.. thats 45 minutes to get from 23*C down to -3*C. :) i have a feeling this thing will kick ass when i get it all insulated properly :D

OCme
08-06-2004, 10:20 AM
:p: cold can be a beautiful thing!

Blergo
08-06-2004, 11:30 AM
well, it got down to -12.1*C and then the coolant started to freeze..lol.. going to have to get some windscreen washer fluid rated down to -45 to ad to it :) i need more anyway, it isnt quite full. i insulated all the pipes and powered up the pump for a short while and the block went down to -11.9*C :D hopefully it will do atleast as good as my old chiller though, just need to get some more windscreen washer fluid :)
owen