PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad is thermal tape?

nelamvr6
10-19-2002, 05:48 PM
I've heard about the SB on the KD7 boards running hot so I've ordered an Iceberg Copper. But I'm no too keen on using the AS Thermal Adhesive, at least not at first. I'd like to wait until I have the board for a little while before I make any permanent changes (don't want any RMA issues).

So I'm thinking about using the thermal tape that comes with the sink. Just how much performance will I sacrifice vs the adhesive?

TheDude
10-19-2002, 06:45 PM
Wish I could give you numbers, but I cannot, it will be significant. I went ahead and gambled and used silver epoxy and an aluminum HS with long fins, seems to be working very well. Try the tape for a while and just keep an eye on it. I understand your RMA concerns as I am on my 2nd board. My 1st one went rather quickly, within about 5 hours. Good luck with the board.

nelamvr6
10-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
Wish I could give you numbers, but I cannot, it will be significant. I went ahead and gambled and used silver epoxy and an aluminum HS with long fins, seems to be working very well. Try the tape for a while and just keep an eye on it. I understand your RMA concerns as I am on my 2nd board. My 1st one went rather quickly, within about 5 hours. Good luck with the board.

Thanks.

Do you think I can live without the sink for a few days, at least until I can be fairly sure the boards ok?

That way I can just glue it on from the get go.

TheDude
10-19-2002, 09:42 PM
I dunno...mine died within hours. You could leave it out of the case, lying flat and just use the pad that came with it to see what happens. Some seem not to have had this problem, while others have. Maybe if you don't jack the voltage up all of a sudden to a big OC, but just increase it little by little over a few days? After losing my 1st one, I just went ahead and glued mine on. Make sure you have some good thermal paste on it when (if) you do. I can only tell you my own results. I don't want to feel responsible if it dies! If it's been running all this time, it's probably gonna be ok.:D

nelamvr6
10-19-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
I dunno...mine died within hours. You could leave it out of the case, lying flat and just use the pad that came with it to see what happens. Some seem not to have had this problem, while others have. Maybe if you don't jack the voltage up all of a sudden to a big OC, but just increase it little by little over a few days? After losing my 1st one, I just went ahead and glued mine on. Make sure you have some good thermal paste on it when (if) you do. I can only tell you my own results. I don't want to feel responsible if it dies! If it's been running all this time, it's probably gonna be ok.:D

Hey, don't worry, I won't blame you! I appreciate the help. I haven't got it yet, it arrives monday.

I think I'll just risk it for a few days and refrain from wailing on it for a little while, just to see if the breakers'll hold. ;)

Bulldog
10-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Leave it BONE stock..and boot at defaults..and let it get good and broke in before adding anything...if it won't work at default without the cooler mobo is no good IMO...if it's aok then do your thing..my 2cents worth..;)

nelamvr6
10-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
Leave it BONE stock..and boot at defaults..and let it get good and broke in before adding anything...if it won't work at default without the cooler mobo is no good IMO...if it's aok then do your thing..my 2cents worth..;)

That's what I'll do. If its gonna go I'd rather know sooner that later.

But I will glue on the sink eventually. It couldn't hurt.