PDA

View Full Version : Prometeia review is up

MrIcee
10-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Full Prometeia review (http://www.xtremesystems.org/mricee/images/myweb4/prometeia.htm) is here. Enjoy my friends:)

Randi:D

will_perdikakis
10-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Best review I have seen so far.

Still hate the r134a, but hell, the prometeia still is an excellent performer.

Nice cycle diagram, whether that is yours or not. it will help less experienced users see how the drect evaporator works.

:toast: Good job.

What proggie did you use to get full load temps?

MrIcee
10-19-2002, 01:45 PM
Thank you very much Will:)

I made determinations of load temps in 3DMark from MBM5....and long term load temps in extended running of Prime95's torture test.:)

will_perdikakis
10-19-2002, 02:14 PM
MrIcee, my friend.

Prime95 does not get the highest temps, ever use a program called CPU burn?

Get it here (http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/).

In my experience, this has given the highest full load temps time and time again.

Run K7Burn for AMD, P6 for p4.

Take it easy.

Hardass
10-19-2002, 02:52 PM
As always the case when MrIcee does a review, it is complete and easy to understand for even the novice. Outstanding review m8. Well worth the wait!:toast:

bigdawginva
10-19-2002, 03:48 PM
Very well done MrIcee, as usual. Clearly the best review of the Prometia to date. I also learned about PiFast benching which I'd never heard of before. And, as usual, I'm still below you LOL. Now that I've put my KD7-R on the shelf for a week or two I really need to get the guts to try and unlock this chip. It may be one of the best O/Cing 2400+ around. I ran PiFast @ 162*15!

P.S. It was neat seeing my score up there with the other AMD scores in the ORB pic LOL.

|PuNiSh3R|
10-19-2002, 08:18 PM
You all know my thoughts on prometeia and vapochill units.. but I will give you props for this review.. nice job

fredperry
10-20-2002, 02:24 AM
Nice Review

(put a link to it on my site ;))

MrIcee
10-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Thank you very much guys:)

TheDude
10-23-2002, 11:00 AM
I posted to a duplicate thread which seems to be gone now? Anyway, very well done! Your review answered all of the questions that I had and I had quite a few. I hope mine gets here soon, can't wait to see what my 2400 and KD7R will really do with that kind of cooling. The fact that it surpassed your chiller is very impressive as I was thinking of trying build one similar to yours and OPPs, but was not sure if I could pull it off. Plus the Prom can run 24/7 and fit where my current rig now resides. Thanks for all the great info!:toast:

ringxero
11-16-2002, 09:43 PM
I was thinking of picking up a prometiea but I do have one rather important question about the cpu enclosure. My current MB doesn't quite fit the allowable tolerances/template that are shown on the prometiea web site. Basically it will fit except for one small capacitor that falls within the template from one of the 'corners' by about a milimeter or two. Is the enclosure hard plastic? Can I shave off a small bit of plastic to make it fit?

and yes, it would probably be better to just buy a new MB, but I would rather not do so until the next major upgrade.

thanks,

RX

Its-Freezing
11-17-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ringxero
My current MB doesn't quite fit the allowable tolerances/template that are shown on the prometiea web site. Basically it will fit except for one small capacitor that falls within the template from one of the 'corners' by about a milimeter or two. Is the enclosure hard plastic? Can I shave off a small bit of plastic to make it fit?

thanks, RX

Sorry for not seing this post earlier.

a couple of the corners of the mounting bracket between the MB and the Coolinghead is in fact having the corners cut in an angle, to allow for closely placed Capasitors residing just at the corners, and yes the coolinghead is made of a particular plastic mold that enables you to grind off a bit of material too ;) .

You could also choose, as I have done in some cases, to use a solder iron, and by warming on the legs of the Capasitor gently push it a bit aside, so it is no longer 100% upright, but standing in a slight angle (This of course would void the warrenty of the MB, but then again, you can't win 'em all :rolleyes: )

Kind regards
Steen

FlyBoyGeo
12-09-2002, 10:37 PM
MrIcee, once again great indepth review!!! :D I looked at it before I installed my Prometeia and it gives some nice pointers.

gandalf027
12-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Awesome review .. after reading it .. i decided and bought one ;)

bigdawginva
01-05-2003, 06:44 AM
These pics (as well as the beige pics in Randi's review) indicate both units are not the same black color. In fact, the case doesn't even look close to the same color as the unit Pics (http://www.overclockers.com/articles665/)

Are the two units the same color or are they off like the pics?

Hardass
01-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by bigdawginva
These pics (as well as the beige pics in Randi's review) indicate both units are not the same black color. In fact, the case doesn't even look close to the same color as the unit Pics (http://www.overclockers.com/articles665/)

Are the two units the same color or are they off like the pics?
I have the Black unit and the color is the same on both bottom and top.

bigdawginva
01-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Good news.

isp
03-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Just checked out this review...nice :toast:

eagle101
05-14-2003, 04:14 AM
just in general words how much better is the mach2 system from the one before it,thanks guys