PDA

View Full Version : giving up on Preshot

vapourit
08-03-2004, 06:21 AM
It is just too hot in my room with this thing. I keep coming home to 28C or more ambient temp.

I wanted to try a mobile AMD processor, or maybe an A64, but I already have a nice mobo, and an SP-94. I'm thinking of getting a 3.0C to throw in. Keep in mind that my OCZ PC4000 ram can do high FSB 265+ but at bad timing, so should a get another 2.8 or 3.0 but northy this time? Are the current 2.8C available in newer stepping that can do 250+ FSB? My old 2.8C could only do 3.3 Ghz @ 1.6v

Thanks.

Kanavit
08-03-2004, 06:40 AM
maybe u should try water cooling first, there are some good cheap solutions available. I was truthfully very close in buying AMD 64 solution because of the heat generated by prescott. But , i decided to get a better cooler . for air solutions, The Zalman CNPS7000A is awesome, quiet, effective cooler. It comes with 92mm fan , and is all copper fins. Make sure to apply artic silver 5 compound. Very easy to install too , it fits right in P4 retention brackets, and very tight too. Looks great, i'm idling at 43c, and 62c full.

vapourit
08-03-2004, 06:44 AM
problem is: it is heating up my bedroom. It already gets hot and now it's crazy. I refuse to run it at stock, cause then it is just dead slow and the point is to have a fast(er) computer for cheap. At least, that is why I overclock.

Another 2.8C anyone? 3.0C?

Soulburner
08-03-2004, 07:08 AM
Kanavit water cooling would only disappate even more heat into his room.

You cannot get rid of heat - you just move it around. It would still heat up his room.

LoudHoward
08-03-2004, 08:29 AM
If you have your heart set on a northwood then I would reccomend going for the 3.0 and overclocking it.

Kanavit
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Soulburner
Kanavit water cooling would only disappate even more heat into his room.

You cannot get rid of heat - you just move it around. It would still heat up his room. how about vapo? would that still transfer heat around? I thought water absorbed the heat, instead of dissapating it.

HawainPanda
08-03-2004, 11:45 AM
in a closed enviroment, u can only transfer heat, its the same with phasechange, ur still heating up the room in the radiator or condenser, whichever cooling he chooses

HawainPanda
08-03-2004, 11:45 AM
but then, he could buy a small a/c unit for like 70USD and he can be cool :P

Lithan
08-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Kanavit, water absorbs an awful lot of heat, but certainly not enough to use sitting water as a viable cooling solution. Hence we use radiators and fans to move the heat from the water to the air.

morbidj
08-04-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Kanavit
how about vapo? would that still transfer heat around? I thought water absorbed the heat, instead of dissapating it.

Whether it is a mach or vapo they get the room hot as hell, infact last winter I stayed nice and toasty in my room with my furnace off. And yes it does get below zero in Denver makes nice time for ocing.