PDA

View Full Version : HDD Window Mod

Marci
10-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Got bored today so Detritus off our forums came over n we had a bash at Window Modding what I thought was a 2Gb HDD... turned out to be a 10Gb!! Hey-ho, such is life...

All works perfectly... I just need to suss how to hook up the 2x LEDs (3mm 2.2v I think... 1x blue & 1x red... little help DDTung??!)

Before:
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/media/marci/hddmod/DSC00036.JPG

After:
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/media/marci/hddmod/DSC00049.JPG

Will be typing up the entire project later next week...

Dissolved
10-26-2002, 05:41 AM
cant wait to see, but u better not let any dust get on those platters or you can say bye bye.

donny_paycheck
10-27-2002, 09:21 PM
Looks GREAT!

I've seen this done before at overclockers.com. Here's a link to the guy's article who did it:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips821

xMagusx
11-13-2002, 09:24 AM
looks nice man :) keep it up ;)

Marci
11-14-2002, 03:51 AM
Well, got it all installed in the case now n looking sweet... will get some MORE pix asap! Unfortunately the drive is now dead due to my own clumsiness... but it still spins up n looks pretty.... could have slapped myself when I bust it! Decided to change the LEDs but didn't do it in a bag, so some cigarette-ash probably got in there... voila! One dead 20Gb HDD :(

No way I'm risking one of my Barracuda IV drives, so when I get another baybee drive 2Gb to 20Gb I'll give it another go and this time I'll remember to hermetically seal the LOT!

X-cessive!
11-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Marci
Well, got it all installed in the case now n looking sweet... will get some MORE pix asap! Unfortunately the drive is now dead due to my own clumsiness... but it still spins up n looks pretty.... could have slapped myself when I bust it! Decided to change the LEDs but didn't do it in a bag, so some cigarette-ash probably got in there... voila! One dead 20Gb HDD :(

No way I'm risking one of my Barracuda IV drives, so when I get another baybee drive 2Gb to 20Gb I'll give it another go and this time I'll remember to hermetically seal the LOT!
hehe, do you know what one particle of dust does to the platter? it totally wrecks is, the space between the head and the disks is something in nanometres.

if people want to try it: USE AN OLD LUMPY WORTHLESS HDD
Work in a dustfree environment, if you hadn't dropped cigarette ash on it it would still have died cuz there is allways dust floating around.

the newer disks get, the smaller they become, and the less likely it gets that it will survive such an operation.

antipop
12-08-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by X-cessive!
hehe, do you know what one particle of dust does to the platter? it totally wrecks is, the space between the head and the disks is something in nanometres.

if people want to try it: USE AN OLD LUMPY WORTHLESS HDD
Work in a dustfree environment, if you hadn't dropped cigarette ash on it it would still have died cuz there is allways dust floating around.

the newer disks get, the smaller they become, and the less likely it gets that it will survive such an operation. Any particule of dust can kill a hdd those baby are made in white room : no particule of dust at all (i have the number somewhere but it's pretty amazing)