PDA

View Full Version : Amount of System resources that windoze hogs

Tweaked!
10-19-2002, 03:21 AM
Is there a way to control the amount of physical memory that w2k pro allocates for itself? What I mean is, I've got w2k on a machine that right now only has 1 stick of 256mb ddr and windows allocates around 140mb's just for itself. Even when it's not doing anything. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to back that amount down enuf to run some of my dedicated folders on a few of my 128mb sticks. That way I don't have to spend as much on ram just for a dedicated folder. Right now, I've had one just sitting here, completely assembled and ready to fold, but I only had the one stick of 128 (since the stick I ordered from another guy 11 days ago still hasn't showed up) and I'm itching to get it folding. Nothing like having another xp1600 sitting here and can't even fire it up:rolleyes: Windows won't even boot on the one stick of 128.

TheDude
10-19-2002, 03:38 AM
Minimum Requirements for Windows 2000
Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU
Memory 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum [128 MB minimum supported; 4 gigabytes (GB) maximum]
Hard Disk 2 GB hard disk with a minimum of 1.0 GB free space. (Additional free hard disk space is required if you are installing over a network.)
CPU Support Windows 2000 Server supports up to four CPUs on one machine

Minimum Requirements for Windows 98
A personal computer with a 486DX 66 megahertz (MHz) or faster processor (Pentium central processing unit recommended).
16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended).
A typical upgrade from Windows 95 requires approximately 195 MB of free hard disk space, but the hard disk space may range from between 120 MB and 295 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.
A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT16 drive requires 225 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 165 MB and 355 MB, depending on your computer configuration and that options that you choose to install.
A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT32 drive requires 175 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 140 MB and 255 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.

Seems to me, it would be cheaper all around in terms of hardware requirements to run Windows 98 on Folders.
;)