PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a good AC unit

Kristian
07-30-2004, 05:38 AM
Hi everybody

I'm starting my first chiller project and I need a little advice.

I live in a place where AC units are not that easy to get hold of so I will probably have to order a specific one. So what I need is names of brands and models that will transform easily into a chiller.

I'm going to cool my dual Xeon rig. I would like the chilled liquid to be around -25 C. And I would like to be able to run this system 24/7. Everything will be buildt into a nice cabinet.

The motherboard will be submerge in a tank with midel 7131 (an inert oil that doesn't destroy plastic / rubber). The temp of this oil will be held around +20C and it's sole purpose will be to avoid condense. The oil bath will be equiped with a waterheater from a fishtank set to +20C (or less - just to avoid condese) if it turns out that the oil temp gets too low (but we'll see).

Into the chilled liquid I will submerge a big watercooling radiator (aquacomputer EVO1800) so I have a separate loop for the actual cooling (to avoid any chance of running dry - and because I already have it). The water/antifreeze will be circulated with a Grundfos 25-40 pump (3500 l/h). This pump works down to -25C.

I was planning to get a thermostate from a freezer and use it to control the temperatur in the chiller.

So is something wrong here ?

Any input before I start ?

Which AC units are good ? How big should they be ? Will I need to exchange the gas in the AC unit ?