PDA

View Full Version : Condensation problems...

Frozendeath
07-30-2004, 04:27 AM
Hi all,

My first time here, ben lurking for a good 3 weeks. Anyway with the help of this forum I modified a window AC unit into a chiller. Currently its just chilling my cpu (p4 3.0c)(maze 4 block) But I'm scared to turn the power on :( because after about 30 mins of running my mobo (Ic7-g) gets a small bit of condensation around the neoprene insulation. This is at temps of -27C

So my question, If the system is running would that heat the mobo enough to stop the cold from reaching out as far as it is thus stopping the condensation. I can post pics later, but I basically used dangerdens maze 4 insulation kit, and modified that with my own neoprene (since the kit is made for a cold plate and I needed to insulate the entire block).

i_jester
07-30-2004, 04:42 AM
Your cooling system will definitely run somewhat warmer when the computer is running.

Usually though, you can prevent the condensation by the liberal application of more insulation...

Typically dielectric grease is used in the cpu socket, and Konform or similar is used also around the socket on the motherboard to help protect things just in case a small amount of condensation appears.

Titan151
08-05-2004, 11:54 AM
I had a similer problem with my setup. I added a ton of insulation and made sure it was all tightly wrapped. Not sure if others do this, but once the insulation was installed around the block I wrapped all of the foam in e-tape. I started around the edges of the block then worked my way back until I had covered several inches of each tube. This made it once big solid piece. Of course taking it all apart will now be a nightmare. Good luck with your setup and nice temps by the way.

kayl
08-10-2004, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frozendeath
[B]Hi all,

running my mobo (Ic7-g) gets a small bit of condensation around the neoprene insulation.

is it forming on the insulation on the maze4, the foam around the socket or on the back of mobo?
a fan blowing on the area can help stop this

the main thing to worry about is making sure that the socket is air tight and same with back of mobo, its condensation forming on the electronic parts we worried mostly about.

also have you those pics yet?

Miles_Teg
08-14-2004, 03:06 AM
Last month I killed a perfectly good IS7 by not taking care of insulation properly. (+ I had laundry drying in the same small room, elevating humidity)

Gary Lloyd
08-14-2004, 05:02 AM
Keep in mind that you are doing two things: Filling and insulating.

If you have empty spaces under your insulation, these are not in fact empty. They contain air, which contains moisture. Dialectric grease has little insulating value. Its purpose is to fill all of the little nooks and crannies with something other than moist air.

Then all surfaces which are below room temp should be insulated in order to raise the surface temp. In addition to eliminating condensation, this also helps the system performance by reducing the heat load. If I lived in the driest desert on the planet, I would still insulate as if it were the most humid area on the planet.

And as a last resort, heat the surface, with either a fan blowing warm air on it, or an electric heater.

Insulation is our friend. :D