PDA

View Full Version : COmputer prob.

Smizack
02-15-2002, 07:43 AM
Ok, I haven't got a chance to look at it myself, but I thought I might get some ideas before this weekend.
A friend of mine got some parts from a co-worker, it's an AMD k6-366. WHen he boots the comp it shows a Gateway splash screen and then goes black to a flashing cursor. Can't type.

I know it's not much to go by, but ideas off the top of your head?

I was planning on switching out the ram and videocard.

JAWS
02-15-2002, 08:50 AM
Maybe he should clear the cmos. Was the K6 the only new part he received?

Smizack
02-15-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by JAWS
Maybe he should clear the cmos. Was the K6 the only new part he received?

No he got the whole computer Other than the ram and HDD. The other guy just got a new one. But he said it worked for him. And he is trustworthy.

That was the first thing I had him do though. It's wierd. I may just have to get it this weekend and see what's up.

IFMU
02-16-2002, 01:27 AM
Ive got an older IBM rig here, it has that large covers the whole screen no dos appearance to it then starts to boot into windows. Very annoying. I would think that there might be something wrong with the ram by chance. The reason Im saying that as the first, is that is the 2nd? thing thats checked by the system. And if the CPU is good, then Id check there first.

Just a thought.

IFMU

Smizack
02-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by IFMU
Ive got an older IBM rig here, it has that large covers the whole screen no dos appearance to it then starts to boot into windows. Very annoying. I would think that there might be something wrong with the ram by chance. The reason Im saying that as the first, is that is the 2nd? thing thats checked by the system. And if the CPU is good, then Id check there first.

Just a thought.

IFMU

That's what I was thinking. Because he's getting the splash screen, and then the blank one. So after the video it checks the ram and hangs. (I think).

He hasn't came by yet, so I haven't got ti check it.

Smizack
02-19-2002, 02:39 PM
OK, I got it over here and hooked it up and after the Gateway splash screen, it goes to a black screen and says:
"Sec Master Drive - Atapi incompatible
<ESC> to resume"

But it does nothing after that.
:confused:

JAWS
02-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
OK, I got it over here and hooked it up and after the Gateway splash screen, it goes to a black screen and says:
"Sec Master Drive - Atapi incompatible
<ESC> to resume"

But it does nothing after that.
:confused:

He didn't mess with any of the jumpers on the hard drive?

How many does he have?

Smizack
02-20-2002, 06:49 AM

How many does he have?

Nope. It was stipped down, he just had an 850Meg WD. I set the jumpers. He didn't have anything hooked up. I think the MBD may be hosed. It takes a looong time to even get that error message.

Smizack
02-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Well, as far as I can tell that MBD is hosed. At least the sec. IDE is.

Smizack
03-05-2002, 09:18 AM
OK, so I messed wit a bit more, and I think it may be the PSU. I know they can do some pretty screwy things.

Everything seems to power up ok. but the fan seems very weak. I put a second one on the 12v line, and it seems weak too. (I haven't fixed my voltmeter yet).

So Donnie, let's try another psu man.

Smizack
03-05-2002, 09:24 AM

How many does he have?

I've got all the jumpers set ok. It boots at 400mhz.

Attitudx
03-18-2002, 07:28 AM
Umm well?? do you still need the PSU?? or am I just hosed

Smizack
03-18-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by chylde
Umm well?? do you still need the PSU?? or am I just hosed

I need to try another psu. But someone is too lazy to bring it by!!;) :p

Attitudx
03-19-2002, 05:12 AM
hmm and to think i live only 3 or 4 blocks from ya i will run it by tonight if you are gonna be there

Smizack
03-19-2002, 07:44 AM
hmm and to think i live only 3 or 4 blocks from ya i will run it by tonight if you are gonna be there

yeah I've heard that before...:rolleyes:

J/k that'll work dude.:D

Attitudx
03-21-2002, 05:52 AM
i tried to call and got no answer hehe, I was given something yesterday and I have no idea what it is and if it turns out to be what I think then I should be able to part with the amd processer, I was given a complete system, pentium three the only bad thing is I know it works, they upgraded but took the ram and harddrive, and guess what me without any pc100 or 133 ram lol.

Smizack
03-21-2002, 07:08 AM
i tried to call and got no answer hehe, I was given something yesterday and I have no idea what it is and if it turns out to be what I think then I should be able to part with the amd processer, I was given a complete system, pentium three the only bad thing is I know it works, they upgraded but took the ram and harddrive, and guess what me without any pc100 or 133 ram lol.

Hehehe.. That sounds good dude. My leftovers are fried. But got one word for ya

E-bay
:p

Attitudx
03-21-2002, 07:22 AM
yeah I know, I will have to bring it over so you can tell me what it is, I Have no idea generic case, pentium 3 3d rage pro video it is rockin, dvd player hehe

hey check this out
http://www.angelfire.com/art/detnuah/upyours.gif

Smizack
03-21-2002, 07:26 AM
yeah I know, I will have to bring it over so you can tell me what it is, I Have no idea generic case, pentium 3 3d rage pro video it is rockin, dvd player hehe

hey check this out
http://www.angelfire.com/art/detnuah/upyours.gif

It isn't a GW case?

Heh. Is that your kid??

Attitudx
03-21-2002, 07:35 AM
umm yeah sure it is LOL, nope not in a gateway case, just a plain white cause has a modem already an ethernet card, usb port