PDA

View Full Version : About to change watercooling system....Shin Etsu vs AS5?

XanderF
07-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Okay, the LAST time I had seen a comparison of these two products, there were several manufacturers selling 'Shin Etsu' compound that was NOT the 'ideal' Shin Etsu (whatever that is). I've been using AS5 in my projects to date, but, I'm about to replace my entire watercooling setup, and was wondering about Shin Etsu again.

1) Is it electrically conductive? AS5 is enough that you have to be really careful with it on video card ram and cores, etc - kinda a pain. How's Shin Etsu?
2) Does it conduct heat as good/better than AS5?
3) Where can I get good Shin Etsu? Are there even different kinds any more?

HKPolice
07-28-2004, 07:48 AM
It's a :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: to apply, go with AS5. You'll waste a whole tube of shin etsu before you can apply it correctly.

[AK]Zip
07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by HKPolice
It's a :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: to apply, go with AS5. You'll waste a whole tube of shin etsu before you can apply it correctly.

agreed.

nikhsub1
07-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Not if you apply properly... you are not supposed to spread thermal paste at all. Put the size of a 1/2 grain of rice in the center of the core for a bare die CPU and about twice that for an IHS CPU.

[AK]Zip
07-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by nikhsub1
Not if you apply properly... you are not supposed to spread thermal paste at all. Put the size of a 1/2 grain of rice in the center of the core for a bare die CPU and about twice that for an IHS CPU.

I got a 2*c temp drop when I spread it myself. I do it a spacific way though.

-Alex-

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 07:54 PM
I've got both here, ShinEtsu, and AS5, not a whole lot of difference for me performance wise. The AS5 is definately a bunch easier to apply, but as already mentioned, once you get the method down ShinEtsu isn't bad, until then it sucks..

For simplicity, I use Ceramique Sub-Zero, and AS5 otherwise.

Honestly, I think a PROPER application is more important than which one you use, as they are very close when done right.

masterofpuppets
07-29-2004, 01:15 AM
I use AS5 exclusivly.

Karnivore
07-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by masterofpuppets
I use AS5 exclusivly.

AS5 crystalized, and migrated under the head of a Mach I for me, not good....

Gogeta
07-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Karnivore
AS5 crystalized, and migrated under the head of a Mach I for me, not good....

not at all :stick:

You'll be ok with AS5 in a water setup though. The opposite happened to me...
spreading the AS5 several different ways in several different amounts always resulted in higher temps than using the "grain of rice" method.

Karnivore
07-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Gogeta
not at all :stick:

You'll be ok with AS5 in a water setup though. The opposite happened to me...
spreading the AS5 several different ways in several different amounts always resulted in higher temps than using the "grain of rice" method.

agreed, I also have best results with the plop and drop method and AS5...