PDA

View Full Version : DFI looks to have a winner here.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

aldamon
08-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Kinsy
10-20%? Bull :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: mate, not with modern processors.

Honestly, I don't really care if you believe me or not :) It's been verified countless times by other sites. Here's the latest:

http://www.techreport.com/etc/2004q3/cssource-audio/index.x?pg=1

I've also verified it myself. My Shuttle nForce2 board had onboard sound, so I sold my soundcard, and the NIC and firewire card because they were built in. I thought the setup was OK until I figured out how much of the CPU it was using, especially in EAX. I immediately bought an OEM Audigy 2 for $50. If you intend to use DFI's onboard sound over an Audigy card, you'll be throwing away the very performance gained by overclocking.

The only exception to this rule was the true MCP-T Soundstorm, which hardly used the CPU at all with excellent sound quality. Unfortunately, there is no Soundstorm on the nForce3 line.

Anyway, I think it would be wise to use an Audigy 2 if you have it. Mine works great with Doom 3. No problems whatsoever. Sounds awesome on my Z-680s.

ugp
08-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Well I am not sure what is going on with it then...me and my friend have the same exact problem with it, ill post more on it later

Kinsy
08-30-2004, 11:07 AM
It cleared up later in the game for me.

__TRONIK__
08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by aldamon
Why would you do that? Onboard audio can result in a 10% - 20% performance hit in games. If you already have an Audigy ZS, it seems silly to throw away the performance.

where do you get that from? if that was the case, people would be turning off their onboard as a matter of course. And the benchie community would make a good sound card their #1 recommendation.

nah, I call shenanigans, or at least urban legend

*edit* I read that article, and results taken form one game, still in beta, mind you, from one source, and not a well known one at that, still does not convince me. I know for the best benching runs you turn off LAN, USB, basically whatever you can afford to turn off. But 10-20% in real world use is just an exaggeration. maybe a frame here and there, maybe more if you jack the audio quality. but most poele prefer to ratchet up the grpahics, and not the audio effects.

ugp
08-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Ok after this post no more about audio problems...lets make a new thread on it somewhere where it is suppose to be...

Now when you run EAX it slows your system down of course taking more CPU power to run it...I am not sure though on it.. I am not saying anyone one person is right I myself just don't know. Tell you all what I will do...I ll bench Doom 3 with onboard and with the SB card. And I will let you know but I have to wait until the DFI arrives...now get back on track with the thread subject please! lol

__TRONIK__
08-30-2004, 12:32 PM
agreed...though I am interested in the results....I wouls like to balance them wuth some legacy games like unreal or call of duty, not jsut the latest greatest system resource hogs. since there have been few patches for either game, inefficiencies are bound to have an effect, as are the relevant audio settings. Defult audio would give the best indication, I have no doubts that teh highest settings make you take a hit in FPS

ugp
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Alright....what I will do is do a test on these games...running default settings on the video and audio that the game supplies and the balanced setting on the video card itself...UT2K3 and Doom 3. And we shall see the difference. Well I'll do it if I can get around to it...lol

aldamon
08-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Part of the reason for buying this DFI board in this thread is for overclocking. Overclocking is often a game of percentage-point increases, so why throw away that precious performance by having the CPU run the sound? Also, the onboard audio on my last board introduced lots of noise and interference when overclocked. My Audigy 2 doesn't exhibit these effects.

Originally posted by ugp
Alright....what I will do is do a test on these games...running default settings on the video and audio that the game supplies and the balanced setting on the video card itself...UT2K3 and Doom 3. And we shall see the difference. Well I'll do it if I can get around to it...lol

You will, except in Doom 3. I believe Doom 3 processes all sound on the CPU. Other games don't work like that. Like I said, the link I posted was simply the latest article I saw written on the subject. Obviously, the audio has to come from somewhere if your CPU processes it. A 10% - 20%, or higher, hit is pretty common. RightMark Audio Analyzer is an excellent tool for testing these CPU utilization:

Rightmark Audio Analyzer (http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml)

Here are some screenshots I took last fall after I realized what onboard audio did to my performance. Feel free to download the latest version of Rightmark and check out the results on your own. I'm certainly not going to turn on my onboard audio and test it again when I have the Audigy 2 installed. Been there, done that so to speak.

Realtek AC'97 onboard audio performance:

http://www.damontech.net/aldamonrightmark2.jpg

Audigy2 performance:

http://www.damontech.net/aldamonrightmark3.jpg

If you can live with onboard audio on the DFI, then all the power to you :)

guinche
08-30-2004, 02:35 PM
when is the DFI finally coming out?? my AMD 64 3200+ is waiting ....:D

ugp
08-30-2004, 03:01 PM
F*ck that then...I am using my SB!

GreyBeard
08-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by guinche
when is the DFI finally coming out?? my AMD 64 3200+ is waiting ....:D

Ever so soon! Less than 3 days now! :)

ugp
08-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Well monday is a holiday so that is another day mine will be delayed...it would have been pointless for my to do 2 day shipping when it will be here tuesday regardless because I am in Florida. If not tuesday I believe it will be wednesday I will have it. So until then I sit here and wait for it...

blinky
08-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by aldamon
[b]snip benches have no sound

__TRONIK__
08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
3dmark03 does. so do many game specific benches.

you are thinking of 3dmark01 I think.

last thought on the subject from me.....
it is true that people use the major benches (01/03) with no sound - in 03 most run only the game tests. So the audio is moot in those. and in actual gaming, most of us have waaay more frames than are acutally needed to be completely smooth.
I could turn my res down to 640x480 and get tons more frames - I could turn the audio completely off, and all the textures down. But you make some allowances to play the darn game, like taking the hit of AA and AF. maybe an expensive creative card can offset teh audio hit, if there really is one, but so might the same $ appilied to another go fast goodie, one that is probably more fun to mess with than a sound card. I've had one, I never noticed any better sound quality, and I have been a Dj for a few years.
Okay, back on topic for me. Though this IS an interesting one, at least moreso than that ram sidetrack whose answers were pretty concrete already.

aldamon
08-31-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by __TRONIK__

last thought on the subject from me.....

For sure, if 3DMark and "benches" are all a person will use with this DFI board, then I can see why the onboard audio would be appealing :) I was more concerned for Ugp who actually has an Audigy 2 and was thinking about using the onboard audio instead. That didn't seem like a wise decision to me. I think your points are valid for a regular user who doesn't already have an Audigy or Audigy 2 laying around. If the onboard audio is good quality, and they don't mind the hit, then why not use it I guess? It's free, money-wise. The framerate will be plenty high with an Athlon 64. However, I don't think many people pre-ordering the DFI based on its overclocking performance and voltage options are going to write off a performance hit that can be addressed by a $25 Audigy 1 or a $50 Audigy 2 OEM.

ugp
08-31-2004, 03:01 AM
Ok, ok, I am going to continue to use my Audigy...my next thing I am getting is a god damn Liquid Cooling system....anyone know one...I posted a thread in the "Liquid Cooling" section. Please reply and help me out I am sick of heat.

Ubermann
08-31-2004, 03:27 AM
Plz i want info on the DFI board and stuff related to it.
Not anything else.
So make new threads for questions about other stuff.
Ok ?

Lifeless
08-31-2004, 03:32 AM
So the quality of a Creative Soundblaster Live! player 5.1 would be beter than the onboard sound? or is it another one you mean by audigy 1, because i cant find the "1".

grtz,
Frederick

ugp
08-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Not over the onboard of the DFI no....the onboard is 7.1 and 16-Bit...your SB Live is 5.1 and 16-bit...depends on what you want...onboard though I think would be better for you.

aldamon
08-31-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Ubermann
Plz i want info on the DFI board and stuff related to it.
Not anything else.
So make new threads for questions about other stuff.
Ok ?

The DFI board isn't out yet. I'm sure the thread will get back on track next week when everybody gets them. Until then, who cares? It's not like we're talking about football.

Originally posted by Lifeless
So the quality of a Creative Soundblaster Live! player 5.1 would be beter than the onboard sound? or is it another one you mean by audigy 1, because i cant find the "1".

grtz,
Frederick

The sound quality on my Live! was never that good. CPU utilization will be lower with the Live! installed, but I don't know about sound quality. I think sound quality takes precedence over performance. If you buy the DFI, try out both in gaming situations and music playing and see which one you like better. If both sound the same, use the Live. If you have a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setup, the onboard sound would be a better option by default.

Originally posted by ugp
Ok, ok, I am going to continue to use my Audigy...my next thing I am getting is a god damn Liquid Cooling system....anyone know one...I posted a thread in the "Liquid Cooling" section. Please reply and help me out I am sick of heat.

The best kits are the ones you put together yourself. I bought a good pump, a top-of-the-line block, an awesome dual-fan radiator and made my own reservoir. I've experienced some pitfalls along the way (leaking), but I knew about that possibility going in. Goop and silicone sealant are your friend. Use lots of it :)

ugp
08-31-2004, 08:05 AM
Can't leaks ruin your sh*t though? Only thing I would be worried about and it is so expensive to do it...and I really want new Memory and I want to get two new HDDs so I can run a RAID 0

Ubermann
08-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Ohhh nevermind then...

GreyBeard
08-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Bad news if you were hoping to use the new Thermalright XP-120 with the DFI. Ubermann contacted DFI in Taiwan and I contacted Thermalright tech support and they both say that the XP-120 will not fit on the LanPartyUT 250GB. :(

However, the good news is that Thermalright has another new heatpipe called the XP-90 (http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_xp90.htm)! It takes a 92mm fan. While looking just as impressive as the XP-120, Thermalright tech support says it knows of no MBs that would be incompatible with the XP-90! :banana: :banana:

The Thermalright tech support guy says that the XP-90 runs 3C cooler than the SLK-948U on his machine. :toast:

Heatsink Factory says that the XP-90 should be available this week.

b|gf|sh
08-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by GreyBeard
Bad news if you were hoping to use the new Thermalright XP-120 with the DFI. Ubermann contacted DFI in Taiwan and I contacted Thermalright tech support and they both say that the XP-120 will not fit on the LanPartyUT 250GB. :(

:eek:

Was looking forward to getting an XP-120 when the LP-UT arrives in the UK :(

Hopefully a new Zalman cooler will come soon then :rolleyes:

The Mofo
08-31-2004, 01:00 PM
If youre going to use H20 cooling, you need to take precautions. Ive seen many H20 water setups where people throw it together using no hoseclamps. Generally it wont leak, but give it some times to clear the air bubbles and low and behold, you will begin to see leaks. Cinch down you hoses with clamps, run the system before placing it into the case and you will have no problems. When you take shortcuts or try to rush things, expect the worse. A Little common sense goes a long way. BTW, ive been H20 cooling for 6 yrs now :)

GreyBeard
08-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by b|gf|sh
:eek:

Was looking forward to getting an XP-120 when the LP-UT arrives in the UK :(

Hopefully a new Zalman cooler will come soon then :rolleyes:

Have you looked at the XP-90?

There are reviews of the XP-90 (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1094/) and XP-120 (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1043/) on overclockers.com that show the XP-90 comparing favourably with the XP-120.

b|gf|sh
08-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Have you looked at the XP-90?

There are reviews of the XP-90 (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1094/) and XP-120 (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1043/) on overclockers.com that show the XP-90 comparing favourably with the XP-120.

Hmm, they tested using 50-76dB fans though, the XP-120 coupled with a decent low-noise 120mm fan allowed for a silent cooler for oc'd systems.

Ah well, lets just hope the XP-90 is that much better then and we wont need the additional airflow :)

GreyBeard
08-31-2004, 02:25 PM
That's pretty much what I am hoping too. The XP-90 is probably going to be better than the Zalman 7000 and the SLK-948U.

If the XP-120 makes a big difference, it might be worth the risk of bending some caps if that is what is causing the fit problems. If the problem is more than that, then it's the XP-90 or water!

ugp
08-31-2004, 04:15 PM
This is an alright heatsink and fan system...

Thermaltake CL-P0025 SilentTower Heatpipe Cooling
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370489

GreyBeard
08-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by ugp
This is an alright heatsink and fan system...

Thermaltake CL-P0025 SilentTower Heatpipe Cooling

That might be a good heatsink. However, I have seen too many people trash Thermaltake to want to take a chance on them.

ugp
08-31-2004, 04:46 PM
I am happy with my Zalman...I got the all copper one:D

jellysandwich
08-31-2004, 09:10 PM
How do you take off the CPU retention thing? Just unscrew it?

-jellysandwich

Ubermann
08-31-2004, 09:29 PM
I really wanted that SP 120 grr

CTKP
08-31-2004, 09:32 PM
disregard this post

ugp
09-01-2004, 06:29 AM
Um...yeah ...it is very simple:D

You know what tomorrow is right??? DFI Release day!!! Yay!!
But I wont recieve mine until next week though:(

ugp
09-01-2004, 06:34 AM
On DFIs site they have released the manual and all for it...go check it out.

ugp
09-01-2004, 06:54 AM
From the looks of it nothing changed really in the BIOS from what bigtoe had in beta testing. The only thing I noticed was I thought it was going to have CMOS Reloaded. That would have been a nice feature to have on this board. But in any case that is cool. The board is going to run fine without it in my opinion. I still can't wait to recieve it in the mail come next week. I need to fullfil my overclocking needs and I really to need reload my OS and I am not doing so until I get this board so it needs to hurry the f*ck up! :D

trey
09-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Are the OCZ 3700 512MB sticks double sided? Because in the manuel is says that if u use 2 double ranked *ranked the same as sided?* would resualt in DDR333?!

Lifeless
09-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Yes they are i think. but the manual also says that in the bios you can set the ram back to 400.

@ UGP: from dfi specs page:
LAN PARTY UT nF3 250Gb exclusive features:
8CH Audio(Dolby 7.1, 8ch supported)
Gigabit LAN(with nVIDIA Gigabit Ehternet)
nVIDIA RAID
nVIDIA Firewall(Embedded hardware firewall)
Japanese Capacitors
CMOS reloaded
Brand New Genie BIOS
EZ-on / EZ-touch on board power switch
UV sensitive slots

so i think it'll have CMOS reloaded

grtz,
Lifeless

ugp
09-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Get 3500 and they are single sided I believe and they can run upwards of DDR500 speeds.

From what I read in the manual it sets all memory to DDR333 at default and you have to go into the BIOS and change it to what ever you want.

What I like about what I was reading is I can just go ahead and set my Memory at whatever FSB I want it to be without figuring out dividers and all. I am first going to max out the RAM and then I am going to max out my CPU on this bastard!!:D

p4z1f1st
09-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by trey
Are the OCZ 3700 512MB sticks double sided? Because in the manuel is says that if u use 2 double ranked *ranked the same as sided?* would resualt in DDR333?!

@ bigtoe: is that right ?

ugp
09-01-2004, 08:24 AM
That is what I was wondering too...I am not sure.:(

p4z1f1st
09-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ugp
Get 3500 and they are single sided I believe and they can run upwards of DDR500 speeds....

that doesn't have something to do with PC3500, PC3700 or PC4000.....all 512MB-sticks of OCZ are double-sided (a quote of andyOCZ of the OCZ-support-part)

Ubermann
09-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Thats why you order one stick 512 3500EB like bigtoe used =)

Tony
09-01-2004, 09:28 AM
All 512 modules are double sided. I would buy a dual channel kit so your ready for your upgrade to 939 dual channel later.

The issue with booting at 166 is a memory controller issue, nothing to do with the ram.I know you can usually force 3200 speed by setting auto in bios.

p4z1f1st
09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
ah good....so, nothing to worry about :D

btw @ bigtoe: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41548 :rolleyes:

eva2000
09-01-2004, 09:51 AM
well looks like Aussies will get price raped with this board first prices I've seen for this DFI s754 board = AUD$420 or US$305 :eek:

Tony
09-01-2004, 09:55 AM
I will point DFI to that Eva...im sure they will look to get this sorted out .

Tony
09-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by eva2000
well looks like Aussies will get price raped with this board first prices I've seen for this DFI s754 board = AUD$420 or US$305 :eek:

Which reseller is charging that price Eva?

eva2000
09-01-2004, 10:10 AM
http://www.u-butecomputers.com.au/category381_1.htm

Other product prices on their site seem on par with average price in OZ though...

DFI prices in OZ
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1570.htm
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1571.htm
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1568.htm
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1569.htm

AUD$1 = US$0.725 ish

DFI boards are rare in OZ too PCcasegear only just got DFI boards in stock for first time 2 weeks ago

eva2000
09-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by bigtoe
I will point DFI to that Eva...im sure they will look to get this sorted out . server time must of went wacky on your reply heh

while we have 10% GST and 5% import taxes that probably bring DFI s754 board to AUD$300-320ish but not AUD$420 heh

ColdFusion
09-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Will Crucial Ballistix RAM work well on this DFI board? Thinking of getting some pc4000 w/3200+ newcastle

cheers

GreyBeard
09-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Crucial Ballistix and OCZ EB are very good matchs for A64 systems.

trey
09-01-2004, 11:46 AM
bigtoe, when u said force it too pc3200 speeds, is that all, i was hoping at 250 3-3-2 or 3-2-2. Is that not possible with 2x512?
And do i have to go with 2t or will it maybe work with 1t? Dont really know the differece :D

i know u talked about it earlier, but i couldnt find it in a 23page long thread :D

__TRONIK__
09-01-2004, 11:48 AM
so will I have to wipe my hard disks clean? I am under raid 0 on the nvidia chip of the chaintech nfoce3 250.
reeealy dont want to start all over jsut a month or so after I got it like I like it. And I dont have the room to move everything temporarily.

ugp
09-01-2004, 04:18 PM
That is why I use my parents computer as a slave drive...I have there HDD spilt into two. One part is mine to store everything on. And I have been waiting to hold off on reloading my OS because of this Motherboard. I will be more than happy to reload my OS for this board.

ugp
09-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Here is an actual picture from the Manual of the Memory options we have on this board...

toenexx
09-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Hrmmm, this may be a silly question but I like people's approval :p

Do you think the CMX1024-3200PRO 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 ProSeries Memory w/Heat (https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-53) will work good with this DFI mobo?

I plan to order the ram and mobo tomorrow :D

And no I dont want 2x512 b/c further down the road i plan to add another gig for doing computer animation/visual effects.

ugp
09-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Well don't plan on getting the DFI is you haven't oredered it yet...there are a limited quanity of them and everyone pretty much already preordered all there is I believe...

But the OCZ EB is doing the best from all the feedback I have gotten on it and that is what I plan to order. I plan to order the 512x2 1GB set myself when I get the money and then I am going to a 80GBx2 Seagate Baracuda RAID 0 set. And then I will be sitting on a sweet machine:D

__TRONIK__
09-01-2004, 05:35 PM
so I am going ot have to wipe my disks in order to run raid on the DFI?, even though my stripes were setup on the same nvidia raid chip?

ugp
09-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Well it is best to do so because you are changing to a new motherboard and there will probably be somewhat newer drivers and all...you can swap them out and try it I assume. But whenever you get a new Motherboard it is best to reload the system for best performance.

toenexx
09-01-2004, 05:43 PM
well on zipzoomfly u cant even preorder it....as far as i kno

ugp
09-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah...apparently you haven't been reading...I posted a thread on this already....go to www.gameve.com and you can preorder them there!!! I swear you f*ucking people need to start reading and research before you post something. I dont spend the time to post this sh*t for no reason!!!!!

GreyBeard
09-01-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by __TRONIK__
so I am going ot have to wipe my disks in order to run raid on the DFI?, even though my stripes were setup on the same nvidia raid chip?

I read on another site that someone had managed to change MBs without reinstalling windows. Unfortunately, I do not remember what he did or exactly where I read it (might have been on the MSI forums). So it may be possible. Try posting a new thread, and visiting some other sites. Good luck.

toenexx
09-01-2004, 07:32 PM
wrong...ive known gameve.com has had it...but i dont want to order from them u poopy head

Tony
09-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ugp
Yeah...apparently you haven't been reading...I posted a thread on this already....go to www.gameve.com and you can preorder them there!!! I swear you f*ucking people need to start reading and research before you post something. I dont spend the time to post this sh*t for no reason!!!!!

Thats pretty stong man...I started this thread to tell you about a motherboard, not for you guys to get all pissy and start flaming.

Tony
09-01-2004, 07:45 PM
More info for you all..

New boards have Vagp and higher vdimm options.I will be modding the bios to allow 3.3Vdimm as soon as Oskar sends it to me.

Thanks OPP for the Vagp....;)

toenexx
09-01-2004, 07:54 PM
ive noticed this board is probably going to be the best in overclocking terms, but what about stablability and reliability using stock?

__TRONIK__
09-01-2004, 07:57 PM
of what benefit is high vagp? isn't rasing vagp over 1.6 thought to be without benefit at best and dangerous at worst? I have heard of some who have needed 1.6 to get stable for various reasons, but i can't say I have seen anyone benefit from higher, or from rasing the agp bus for that matter. but then, perhaps I am not looking in the right places.
/new here

__TRONIK__
09-01-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by toenexx
ive noticed this board is probably going to be the best in overclocking terms, but what about stablability and reliability using stock?

I thinkk we will knwo that when it gets released/. though you might have to read about it elsewhere, I don't think many of us will be running it stock...or anywhere near it :stick:

Ubermann
09-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ugp

Do you think this is your thread ?
Im sick and tired of you red sig all over the forum with all nonsense about your computer.

I want it to be DFI related and i think 95% of the ppl on this thread agree with me.

Ubermann
09-01-2004, 11:51 PM
More info for you all..

New boards have Vagp and higher vdimm options.I will be modding the bios to allow 3.3Vdimm as soon as Oskar sends it to me.

3.3 volt should be enough for the EB ram ?
What volt did you run max with the booster in the bench earlier.
What is the volt limit for the EB where you dont gain more from adding more volt.

Thanks for any help bigtoe.

freestylercs
09-02-2004, 01:30 AM
Wow, 3,3V
my BH 5 will love it.....

free

mad mikee
09-02-2004, 04:53 AM
More info for you all..

And I thank you BOTH for all the good stuff you've been doing here :toast:

p4z1f1st
09-02-2004, 05:03 AM
More info for you all..

did i understand right ?

DFI increases the max vdimm from 3.1V to 3.3V OFFICIALLY ?! :)

(doesn't care about vagp - my EBs just want voltage....they wanna BUUURRNNNNN :D)

ugp
09-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Do you think this is your thread ?
Im sick and tired of you red sig all over the forum with all nonsense about your computer.

I want it to be DFI related and i think 95% of the ppl on this thread agree with me.

Well if you feel that way I wont post here anymore...

Good bye.

gouda96
09-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Wow, if I stoped posting every time someone got pissed at me I would have stopped after the first time, and there wouldn't have been a second or a third time, so i don't know where i am going with this...you went over the top, and he got offeded, both of you can get over it now and continue posting.

I would take .2v extra for 7 more days. Can we wait another 14 days and get 3.7v stock? BigToe, could you have simply modded the bios before to allow 3.3v or are they changing something else to allow you to do so? Is it then safe to assume the vdim comes off of the +5v rail and not the 3.3v rail?

ugp
09-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Well I am not posting as much as I use to anymore...half of my posts are pointless and useless.

gouda96
09-02-2004, 07:21 AM
Just let it go...now we are thread crapping :D

ugp
09-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Well we have until the 9th because of the delay. But if they are making the board better then more power to them and I will wait:D

The Mofo
09-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I read on another site that someone had managed to change MBs without reinstalling windows. Unfortunately, I do not remember what he did or exactly where I read it (might have been on the MSI forums). So it may be possible. Try posting a new thread, and visiting some other sites. Good luck.

Its quite easy and here is the thread to show you what to do, i hope you find it useful...

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=1400925745

Though it outlines Win2k, it still works within WinXP.

The Mofo
09-02-2004, 08:14 AM
More info for you all..

Wow, kickass. So does this mean the boards still ship today or is there a delay? Or is there another revision to allow the higher voltages? Thanks

GreyBeard
09-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by gouda96
Is it then safe to assume the vdim comes off of the +5v rail and not the 3.3v rail?

Yup, DFI has been using the 5v rail for a while now.

OPPAINTER
09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Yup, DFI has been using the 5v rail for a while now.

I was told it was run off of the 3.3V.

OPP

gouda96
09-02-2004, 02:44 PM
So if you have a weak 3.3v rail it wouldn't be 3.3v? Not that I have that problem, but should be good for people to know that they might still need to atleast do a psu mod for 3.3v.

Tony
09-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Oskar told me he did want to implement Vdimm off the 5V line with 4V available thru bios, unfortunatelly the board uses the 3.3V line and as such 3.25V max is all you are going to get. I can unhide all options in bios but they ain't going to work.

gouda96
09-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Would they work with a modded 3.3v line? If so, could you unlock as high as 4v? Damn, they should have gone with 4v and the +5v rail, that would have realy turned some heads and generated even more talk about an already incredibly hyped board!

The Mofo
09-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Amazing people are never happy, no matter what.

They could always put the voltages to stock levels again :rolleyes: If you want 4V's, then mod your damn board. 90% of the people buying it will be happy with 3.1.

Tedinde
09-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Crucial Ballistix and OCZ EB are very good matchs for A64 systems.

I just received 2 sticks of Crucial ballistix 512 3200 sticks 2 days ago. No joke it's killer memory. stock SPD setting are 2.5-2-2 and i've got them burning in folding in a IS7 @ 250fsb 1:1 with no volt mod and 2.77 actual Mem volts!!!

I'll be putting up some numbers with them tomorrow night. Finally i have some "all around memory"

Waiting to get the DFI myself, And a reasonable price

http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=mb-dfi-023

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246478

Man i hate waiting. I sold my vapo, MSI board and chip And vid card.

WeakSauce
09-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Does anybody know if this board is going to be compatible with amd64 mobile's? I was looking to get a 3400+ clawhammer mobile at newegg because they're $80 cheaper than the desktop version. Also on a sidenote, does anyone know if the mobile's are CO or CG stepping?

Bourch
09-03-2004, 01:20 AM
How could be a mobile version cheaper than a desktop one? aren´t they better for OC?
One more question. I have 2x512 Adata PC4000 on my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe. Currentrly it´s running at 442mhz 2.5-4-3-5 (no PCI/AGP Lock available) and it only gives me about 2700Mb/s on sandra´s mem buffered test.
Is it normal that poor result? I don´t know how to better those results until I change this board with the DFI but here in Spain I´ll have to wait for it.
I know the 3500/3700EB are better but will I be able to get a decent bandwith with this mem on the DFI?

ugp
09-03-2004, 01:28 AM
They are usually more then the desktop versions and yes they overclock better...and they usually require less voltage to run if I remember correctly...although someone back me up on that because I am not exactly sure....

And that is a poor score....I have 512x2 of PC3200 at 2.5-3-3-7 running at 215 on the bus and I am getting 3200+Mb/s. So to me something doesn't seem right at all with that memory man.

Bourch
09-03-2004, 01:37 AM
On my old P4-2.8C on the AI7 i865 it gives me around 4800Mb/s so i think the memory is OK but since I got the 3200+ and the asus I have to poor results. I know the timings of my mem are a bit slow but 2700mb is TOO slow in my opinion. I sopose that I won´t know if it works better on the DFI until I have it but I don´t understand how a common kingston value ram at 400 scores better on a friends Epox nforce3 250gb than mine on an asus (via) at 442mhz. Timings are more relaxed on mine but it´s running at 42mhz more, so it should be compensated.

Sorry for my bad english :(

Flox
09-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Bourch
On my old P4-2.8C on the AI7 i865 it gives me around 4800Mb/s so i think the memory is OK but since I got the 3200+ and the asus I have to poor results. I know the timings of my mem are a bit slow but 2700mb is TOO slow in my opinion.

Comparing dual-channel (4800Mb/s -> 2400Mb/s per channel) to single-channel (2700Mb/s)? Both results seem to be slow in my eyes...

Greetz, Flox

ugp
09-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Mine is running Single Channel....and my friends gets about the same score on my memory in Dual Channel on his AMD board.

Bourch
09-03-2004, 03:29 AM
I´ve started another thread to mantain this for the great DFI.
I´ve posted my sandra report so you can see all the numbers, timings and so.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41806

Please ppl help me

ugp
09-03-2004, 03:40 AM
How many of the people here were the first 10 to order the board?

GreyBeard
09-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
I was told it was run off of the 3.3V.

OPP

I stand corrected. My info came from DFI-Street. The DFI rep there said that DFI had been using the 5V line on other MBs and expected that this would too. As Bigtoe said, guess they wanted to but couldn't.

eva2000
09-03-2004, 04:59 AM
Oskar told me he did want to implement Vdimm off the 5V line with 4V available thru bios, unfortunatelly the board uses the 3.3V line and as such 3.25V max is all you are going to get. I can unhide all options in bios but they ain't going to work. can anyone say OCZ Powerstream :D

i just placed preorder for DFI s754 board from mittoni.com.au at AUD$303 total = US$220 still more expensive than any s754 and some s939 boards but hey got the ram pile for it and the cooling http://www.fileshosts.com/watercooling/DIY/6002_MCP650/ just need the board :D

OPPAINTER
09-03-2004, 05:20 AM
Would they work with a modded 3.3v line? If so, could you unlock as high as 4v? Damn, they should have gone with 4v and the +5v rail, that would have realy turned some heads and generated even more talk about an already incredibly hyped board!

The mobo has a problem at first post if the mem voltage is over 3.6V.

In other words, if you save and exit the bios over 3.6V you'll get a black screen. If you are at 3.55V going out of the bios or on a reboot there is no problem.

Once your past this this first post you can up the mem voltage as high as you want.

OPP

gouda96
09-03-2004, 10:46 AM
The mobo has a problem at first post if the mem voltage is over 3.6V.

In other words, if you save and exit the bios over 3.6V you'll get a black screen. If you are at 3.55V going out of the bios or on a reboot there is no problem.

Once your past this this first post you can up the mem voltage as high as you want.

OPP

So if I was to select 3.6v and got a black screen, would I then power the machine off and back on, and that would take care of the issue, or is it more complicated to get it to boot with 3.6v+?

Originally posted by The Mofo
Amazing people are never happy, no matter what.

They could always put the voltages to stock levels again :rolleyes: If you want 4V's, then mod your damn board. 90% of the people buying it will be happy with 3.1.

This is in no way productive, it is just simply thread crapping. It isn't even a reasonable interpretation of my post. I was very happy with 3.1v, I am more happy with 3.3v, but my mentality as well as 90% of the people in this forum feel that more volts the better! Obviously DFI felt the same if they tried to off 4v which is more than I have ever heard of offered stock, so I don't know what you are talking about. I also made a valid point that 4v would have turned heads, and created even more hype, so it would have helped dfi even more, and I am sure that was one of the reasons they wanted to allow 4v.

I am assuming this is a case of someone reading the last post in a thread and feeling the need to put someone else down. 3.1v is not the stock voltate, infact there isn't a stock voltage yet because the board hasn't been finalised apparently, and as of now the max vdim was changed to 3.3v, but apparently you don't take the time to actually read before you post, you just blurt out the first absurd thing that comes to your mind.

I don't appreciate that kind of attack, nor do I appreciate your negative nonproductive post. If you want to thread crap and attack people you don't belong here.

Sorry for the rant, but this guy realy touched a nerve:mad:

OPPAINTER
09-03-2004, 11:01 AM
So if I was to select 3.6v and got a black screen, would I then power the machine off and back on, and that would take care of the issue, or is it more complicated to get it to boot with 3.6v+?

It won't post at 3.6, so if it is turned off at 3.6 then turned back on it won't post:D

The best way to run over 3.6 is with OCZ booster.
Run what ever Voltage you want after post, before you reboot dial down the voltage below 3.6, this could also be done with an adjustable 3.3 line PSU.

OPP

p4z1f1st
09-03-2004, 02:06 PM
man, what do u all guys want with VDIMM > then 3.3V ? :rolleyes: :D ;)

RocKer
09-04-2004, 12:37 PM
:banana3: a have also the DFI coming to me,i expect it around the 15/16 sept,a find it very fast for belgium.

Will a have troubel with my corsairs(sig)if it's tru that the vdimm is going to be 3.2 i'll will be a very happy man,go DFI go:toast: .

p4z1f1st
09-04-2004, 01:17 PM
hm, damn.....nothing to see in germany yet :(

but, when it is in belgium, then i shall find it at the same time in germany :D

or did u order from the US Rocker ? :confused:

tomati
09-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by RocKer
:banana3: a have also the DFI coming to me,i expect it around the 15/16 sept,a find it very fast for belgium.

Will a have troubel with my corsairs(sig)if it's tru that the vdimm is going to be 3.2 i'll will be a very happy man,go DFI go:toast: .

hi Rocker,

Where did you found it in belgium , I would be interested to buy one too,

kind regards ,

tomati

ugp
09-04-2004, 02:13 PM
They are looking to hit higher speeds then DDR660 even probably....if it is possible..Although I am not sure if it is or isn't...

computerpro3
09-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by p4z1f1st
man, what do u all guys want with VDIMM > then 3.3V ? :rolleyes: :D ;)

performance greater than my last system which was an intel 3.0c @ 4ghz with 1GB mushkin black lvl2 pc3500 @ 534mhz 2-2-2-5 @ 3.7V for over 3 months rock solid. I would be very unhappy if a mod did not allow me to reach higher than 3.3v. It may end up limiting the fx-53 which I'm about to order (As soon as the damn dfi board comes out I'm ordering everything).

Voltage + cooling = speed.

OPPAINTER
09-04-2004, 03:00 PM
DFI and Level II

OPP

ugp
09-04-2004, 03:17 PM
What kind of score did that do on the DFI?

But the OCZ EB is still the best for the DFI correct?

Or is the Cosair any good as well?

spaceman
09-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Cool, it's good to see the Mushkin will play in this board. :cool: Well, I'm hurrying up & waiting as fast as I can, lol. My X800 VIVO shipped yesterday, so I'll probly have it Tuesday, and sooner or later, this mobo's gonna get here. :D

Kinsy
09-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Glad i kept my 2x256 XMS3500 now:) Will be able to get some great bench scores with all that vdimm + a DDR booster to play with ;)

trans am
09-04-2004, 10:39 PM
I have a friend who wants this board, but he wants to know if a thermalright xp120 heatsink will fit. and also will his DTR 3200 work? Also, do you know if the xp120 will have any contact issues on the dtr?

Kinsy
09-04-2004, 10:58 PM
AFAIK someones already asked this question and the answer is no to the XP-120.

Although everything fits after a bit of time with a dremel or hacksaw.

trans am
09-04-2004, 11:02 PM
slk948u then. Thanks man

RocKer
09-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi fellow DOC's,

the place to be is in http://www.bytesatwork.be the have it in next week friday or the week afther monday(17 or 20 sept) a now a have say't 15/16 but 17/20 is more likly.

There is not yet a price set but you can order one the will send you the € when the have from the wholeseller(groothandel).

@tomati,

are you from Belgium?

Enybody nows if a will have troubel with the corsairs pc3500c2rev1.1(bh5)or will a by better off with OCZ pc3700EB,watt do i take then for best performance 2x256mb or 2x512mb(for benchen and gamen),becaus i will buy some OCZ sticks.:rocker:

I love that smiley:rocker: :rocker: it is made special for me a think(not):lol:

p4z1f1st
09-04-2004, 11:12 PM
2x256MB = benching-config

2x512MB = gaming-config

;)

Lifeless
09-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Big THX rocker, I was trying to find a shop in belgium, but there arent that many shops that sell DFI. Lets hope they do get it the 14th, that would be great.

RocKer
09-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by p4z1f1st
2x256MB = benching-config

2x512MB = gaming-config

;)

Hmm yes but a won't it for benchen+gamen,why don't the have stick right in between,like 356mb or something like that:D :p: .

No problemo lifeless;) ,it's for me also the first time a order there, so lets hope :up: .

trey
09-05-2004, 12:48 AM
I also need 1 gig ram, som when i oc and bench i will go with just one stick, and the rest of the time i will max out 2x512 and hope for the best :D

RocKer
09-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by trey
I also need 1 gig ram, som when i oc and bench i will go with just one stick, and the rest of the time i will max out 2x512 and hope for the best :D
Yes but with 1 stick of 512mb you lose your dualchannel and that make's a lot of performance differens,i think.

It's better then with 2x256 then 1x512 is'nt that right:) ,a now it's a drag,for best in all that you have 2x256 and 2x512,but who can afford that;).

O :brick: :am: was thinking of s939,and it as to be s754:brick: :brick: ,indeed single mem.

Ubermann
09-05-2004, 02:13 AM
There is no dual channel.

GreyBeard
09-05-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by trans am
slk948u then. Thanks man

Check out the new XP-90 as well. The Thermalright tech support guy told me the XP-90 runs 3C cooler in his machine than the SLK948U.

It is just out. Heatsink Factory (http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=HS-008) is expecting to start shipping on Tuesday. Check out this review (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1094/).

Ubermann
09-05-2004, 03:07 AM
You know if that one will fit ?
Should i mail them ?

Im going to order the XP-120 and try to make it fit, cant be impossible =)

GreyBeard
09-05-2004, 03:22 AM
You know if that one will fit ?
Should i mail them ?

Im going to order the XP-120 and try to make it fit, cant be impossible =)

The XP-90 should fit, according to Thermalright tech support. It has no known incompatibilities with existing 754 MBs at this point.

Let us know how the XP-120/DFI adjustment process goes. Hopefully, it is not too expensive.! :D

Loque
09-05-2004, 04:09 AM
first post :eek:

Will I be able to reach 2.5 ghz with the A64 3400+ CW and Ocz 2x512 3700 EB Platinum on this DFI Mboard with air cooling (SLK948 and good case airflow)?

Cpu info:

ADA3400AEP5AP
CAAOC 0402XPMW

Hope to get this Mboard in like a week :)

bldegle2
09-05-2004, 04:21 AM
on the clockage above default.

expect 2.3, 2.5 would be nice, but, the CW version with 1 gig of L2 just doesn't clock the same as the 512 Newcastles.

of course, 2.5 is easily attainable if you are using phase change for cooling.

baldy

tomati
09-05-2004, 04:30 AM
Hi fellow DOC's,

the place to be is in http://www.bytesatwork.be the have it in next week friday or the week afther monday(17 or 20 sept) a now a have say't 15/16 but 17/20 is more likly.

There is not yet a price set but you can order one the will send you the € when the have from the wholeseller(groothandel).

@tomati,

are you from Belgium?

Enybody nows if a will have troubel with the corsairs pc3500c2rev1.1(bh5)or will a by better off with OCZ pc3700EB,watt do i take then for best performance 2x256mb or 2x512mb(for benchen and gamen),becaus i will buy some OCZ sticks.:rocker:

I love that smiley:rocker: :rocker: it is made special for me a think(not):lol:

Thanks for the link Rocker

I just will wait they have it in stock before to order

Yes I am from brussels

Ubermann
09-05-2004, 04:41 AM
Now i am confused!

I sent this to Thermaltake:

"I heard the XP120 wont fit on this board.
Is it the headpipes that are in the way for something ?
Can you put this headsink both ways (the headpipes toward AGP)
I want to mod it to fit (Cut away), but do you think its totally impossible ?
Warranty and such i dont care about =)
Thanks for any info.

And now i get this from them:

"We're hearing allot about this motherboard, first of all; DFI delivered one of these to our labs in TW and it was found that the XP-120 fit. But forums and others are saying that it doesn't, I would hope that what we received is the same that DFI is shipping.
So, until we see more than one of these motherboards we really cannot comment on modding or the need to do so to make the Xp-120 fit. It does fiot the onme we were sent!!"

My first mail to DFI told me this:

"After checking the dimension and our layout, we are sorry to say that the heat sink cannot use on our LP UT board."

So i guess DFI dont have an XP120 to test with and didnt really put so big effort to check this.

Bigtoe or OPPainting do you know if they changed layout on the board from the prototype ?

Bourch
09-05-2004, 06:51 AM
Yeah Rocker!

I've mailed Bytes@work asking them to accept my preorder. I've seen on the shop that they send only to Luxenbourg, Belgium and Nederland.
As they are the only ones (or nearly the only ones) accepting preorders of this board here in europe, they have accepted mine from spain. They will send me their account info as soon as they know the price and taxes to send it to spain.
It's sunday and it only takes them 5 minuts to answer my mails. Great shop :rocker:

I'm so happy cause until I saw your post I was confused about when and were would I find that board. Now I'm so happy

p4z1f1st
09-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes but with 1 stick of 512mb you lose your dualchannel and that make's a lot of performance differens,i think.

It's better then with 2x256 then 1x512 is'nt that right:) ,a now it's a drag,for best in all that you have 2x256 and 2x512,but who can afford that;).

O :brick: :am: was thinking of s939,and it as to be s754:brick: :brick: ,indeed single mem.

erm....there is a REAL peformance-boost of about 0-5% :rolleyes:

but, when u drive SC, u can afford more MHz ;)

and Sandra just shows the THEORETIC DualChannel-speed....that doesn't mean, that u will get 10fps more in Doom3, when u drive DC instead of SC ;)

so, i even would drive SC on a S939 to get more MHz, which gives u REAL boosts ;)

RocKer
09-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Bourch
Yeah Rocker!

I've mailed Bytes@work asking them to accept my preorder. I've seen on the shop that they send only to Luxenbourg, Belgium and Nederland.
As they are the only ones (or nearly the only ones) accepting preorders of this board here in europe, they have accepted mine from spain. They will send me their account info as soon as they know the price and taxes to send it to spain.
It's sunday and it only takes them 5 minuts to answer my mails. Great shop :rocker:

I'm so happy cause until I saw your post I was confused about when and were would I find that board. Now I'm so happy
Good for you man:up: ,as far as i no the are the only shop that will have the DFI,the say that a will by one of the first one's in belgium to have the board,so am sitten with the shake's on till i have it in my possesion,a will have a:banana4: to calm down:lol: .

Lifeless
09-05-2004, 08:57 AM
jep, i also preordered mine. with me it only too 3 minutes to get an answer ;) :D

so thx again Rocker :)

already have my watercooling now, and a gig 3700EB, so i'm just waiting for that DFI to arrive, so i really hope they estimation of the 14th is correct.

By the way, what would you guys suggest, an 3000+ NC of 3200+ NC. (cant find CH :() i'm still not sure wich one to buy, since most new newcastles both 3000 and 3200 seem to max out around 2600mhz (on air and water), i might not need the 11x multi. And it would save me 50€. what would you guys do?

grtz,
lifeless

RocKer
09-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Well i am still not sure witch one i'll take,a 3200+ or 3400+ if a can get a good stepping it's a 3200+,but it is not easy over here to ask the shop to look what stepping it is,the are not that happy to look for you,so it is a bit of a gamble.

Zeus
09-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Opp or BigToe,

How high can you get Vdimm by just raising the 3.3V rail?
I assume raising this 3.3V rail will raise Vdimm, right?

Does anyone know what price Bytes@work will charge for this board?

__TRONIK__
09-05-2004, 10:47 AM
no dude, raising your 3.3 line will not raise your vdimm unless your vdimm is modded to run whatever the 3.3 line is (direct wire)
alsi it shoul dbe noted that if you are going to runn 3.3 or otherwise high vdimm you should keep you +3.3v psu line .1 above you chosen vdimm.

here is a question - I have 2x256EB - is it a bad idea to get 1x512EB and run all three dimms...512/256/256 for 1gb?
or would I kill my clocks worse than 2x512?
also at some point running 1gb with significantly lower clocks has to be worse than running 2x256 with high clocks....like a barton only being better than a tbred if you can get within 200mhz of the tbred clocks. And wouldn't extra onboard vga mem make dimms less important, ie would not 256mb agp and 512mb dimms be somewhat equivalent to 128mb agp and 1gb dimms?

OPPAINTER
09-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Zeus
Opp or BigToe,

How high can you get Vdimm by just raising the 3.3V rail?
I assume raising this 3.3V rail will raise Vdimm, right?

Does anyone know what price Bytes@work will charge for this board?

Highest I got was 3.16V.

I didn't see a difference when raising my 3.3V, although I think I should have.

OPP

Zeus
09-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Highest I got was 3.16V.

I didn't see a difference when raising my 3.3V, although I think I should have.

OPP

Thanks Opp.

The latest bios allows 3.3V if i understood right, so that's a nice start, though not enough to keep my BH-5 happy over 255MHz.

Strange that raising the 3.3V rail doesn't affect Vdimm as it gets fit's juice from this rail.

Oh well, there will be mods in time i'm sure. ;)

Cranox
09-05-2004, 11:07 AM

I got that rocker :p
For benching 2 x 256 bh-5 , and gaming 2 x 512 bh-5

RocKer
09-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Yepp you right :toast: but wait next month a will kick your ass with my new a64 rig ;) en some ocz 3700EB with the booster i will :frag: you.

<dutch mode on>

t'is t'hopen hè da ik eens ne redelijken oc kan maken met dien DFI hè,als het wa mee zit heb ik alles tegen begin volgende maand,heb ook nog de OCZ 520w voeding die opkomst is,dus houd u mor al gereed hè;).

<dutch mode off>

sorry guys for the belgium talk it type's better:lol:

Ubermann
09-05-2004, 11:23 AM
I really dont think your the only one here getting DFI and EB ram =))

__TRONIK__
09-05-2004, 11:27 AM
yeah i get the 2x256=bench 2x512=game, but is it lunacy to bench 2x256 and game 256+256+512=1gb?

RocKer
09-05-2004, 11:34 AM
I really dont think your the only one here getting DFI and EB ram =))
I sure hope not :) not overhere,but in belguim that's sometings completly differend(i hope);).

Oc4ever
09-05-2004, 12:19 PM
[Dutch-mode] Er zijn meer overclockers in België dan je denkt ;) [/Dutch-mode]

Ocz powerstream 520w, Ocz pc3700eb and Dfi lanparty ut-250 are on my buylist.

Dissolved
09-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Oc4ever
[Dutch-mode] Er zijn meer overclockers in België dan je denkt ;) [/Dutch-mode]

Ocz powerstream 520w, Ocz pc3700eb and Dfi lanparty ut-250 are on my buylist. \

have all those on my desk, with a 3400+ 1mb :|

Ubermann
09-05-2004, 10:45 PM
The DFI also ??

OSKAR_WU
09-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Thanks Opp.

The latest bios allows 3.3V if i understood right, so that's a nice start, though not enough to keep my BH-5 happy over 255MHz.

Strange that raising the 3.3V rail doesn't affect Vdimm as it gets fit's juice from this rail.

Oh well, there will be mods in time i'm sure. ;)

Using final retail board with modded bios allow VDIMM > 3.1V , however it is not official and no support ...

Any damage from this is also a possible condition , use it at your own risk ...

Restriction of running higher VDIMM > 3.1V

1 . CPU VID control must set to voltage other than Auto
2 . Your ATX 3.3V must be higher than your target highest VDIMM for about 0.1~0.2V
Ex : 3.3V ~ 3.4V VDIMM with ATX 3.3V@3.5V~3.6V is possible

Ubermann
09-06-2004, 03:41 AM
A noob question because "i know noooothing"
Does the 3.3 volt rail from psu only power the RAM on MB ?

So if i raise this rail nothing else on MB take damage ?

Zeus
09-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by OSKAR_WU
Using final retail board with modded bios allow VDIMM > 3.1V , however it is not official and no support ...

Any damage from this is also a possible condition , use it at your own risk ...

Restriction of running higher VDIMM > 3.1V

1 . CPU VID control must set to voltage other than Auto
2 . Your ATX 3.3V must be higher than your target highest VDIMM for about 0.1~0.2V
Ex : 3.3V ~ 3.4V VDIMM with ATX 3.3V@3.5V~3.6V is possible

Good info, thanks man!

This modded bios is not gonna be released by DFI then i'm afraid?

So with this modded bios, i can set Vcore to say +110%, adjust my ATX 3.3V to let's say 3.5V and have 3.4VDIMM?

Do you set these VDIMM values in bios or do you get these values by just raising the 3.3V rail?

p4z1f1st
09-06-2004, 08:23 AM
modded 3.3V-BIOS will come, when OCZ-oskar has send the bios to bigtoe (afaik)

mrlobber
09-06-2004, 09:58 AM
This modded bios is not gonna be released by DFI then i'm afraid?

Definitely a thing to consider, however, for example, with DFI nForce2 Infinities, I have not run even an hour with any official bios. For people pushing the boards to their limits and for those which are going to have real use of more than 3.1 Vdimm with the modded bios, warranty is not so much of a big concern, I think.

Zeus
09-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Hehe, DFI-street.com will provide us with some *danger* bios's i reckon, seeing how much flavours are available for the NF2 boards. :)

Voiding warrenty is part of the game if you want to go fast, no problem for most i guess.

All mods are done at own risk...or something? :D

GreyBeard
09-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Now i am confused!

I sent this to Thermaltake:

"I heard the XP120 wont fit on this board.
Is it the headpipes that are in the way for something ?
Can you put this headsink both ways (the headpipes toward AGP)
I want to mod it to fit (Cut away), but do you think its totally impossible ?
Warranty and such i dont care about =)
Thanks for any info.

And now i get this from them:

"We're hearing allot about this motherboard, first of all; DFI delivered one of these to our labs in TW and it was found that the XP-120 fit. But forums and others are saying that it doesn't, I would hope that what we received is the same that DFI is shipping.
So, until we see more than one of these motherboards we really cannot comment on modding or the need to do so to make the Xp-120 fit. It does fiot the onme we were sent!!"

My first mail to DFI told me this:

"After checking the dimension and our layout, we are sorry to say that the heat sink cannot use on our LP UT board."

So i guess DFI dont have an XP120 to test with and didnt really put so big effort to check this.

Bigtoe or OPPainting do you know if they changed layout on the board from the prototype ?

Looks like we are going to have to wait till the boards get here to see if it fits or not.

Maybe the Thermalright tech support guy I got a response from was getting the 754 board confused with the 875 Lanparty boards, which Thermalright lists on their site as having a conflict with the XP-120.

EDIT: Just checked the Thermalright site and the Lanparty UT 250GB is now listed with no remarks - i.e., it fits! :banana: Yeah! Off to change my sig again. :D

chickenrun
09-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi,

my first post here... I've got the retail board here since Monday (only 3 delivered to Singapore) and I could mail the bios (dated 27.08.2004) to anyone who's interested :)

Final stats:

FSB: 456
VCore: 2.1v (1.55*136%)
VDimm: 3.1v
Chipset: 1.9v

Zeus
09-06-2004, 09:20 PM
You lucky *******!! :D
The bios i think is nothing different from the bios the board will be shiped with.

What we want is a bios that allows 3.3+ Vdimm.

How's stability and overclocking?

Btw, welcome to XtremeSystems. :toast:

chickenrun
09-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Not yet tested - was lucky enough to fit it into the case and boot up for the first time yesterday - my kidz do not care about daddy's hobbies ;)

Pix are HERE (http://www.forumdeluxx.de/forum/showthread.php?p=1059779#post1059779)

Zeus
09-06-2004, 09:33 PM
How strange. :D

You were very luck to get one out of three!

That's one bigass cooler you got there but it fits fine as far as the pic shows.

Personally i think the yellow slots are phucking ugly but that won't stop me from getting this board.

Keep us updated on your overclocking on this most sought after piece of hardware nowadays please. ;)

chickenrun
09-06-2004, 09:48 PM
You're absolutely right - the yellow colour s*x big time ;)
Cost me a couple of phone calls to convince them that I must be one of the lucky guys... The cooler is just the Zalman that I use on both systems - it's damn good and most important - silent !
using this with AS5...
I guess I hv to shoot for high FSB - on the MSI I got 300x7 stable with the OCZ PC4200, but voltage was limited...
My CPU doesn't want to go over 2300 anyway :-[ so high FSB for the time being - hopefully w/o SATA bug and with both ram sticks onboard ;)

Zeus
09-06-2004, 09:55 PM
About this Sata bug, have a peek here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41798). ;)

2,3Gig ain't much but perhaps with this boards higher Vcore it will go a bit higher?

GL. :toast:

chickenrun
09-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Well, this one does not give me any further clues as I already have the raid array connected to the NF-native one and it still hangs at exactly FSB230 with two ram sticks (no matter what cpu multi...)

Bourch
09-06-2004, 11:17 PM
Please, I don't hope to go 300 HTT but at least 250! :worship:
I work with a raptor as sis HDD and a seagate (SATA) as data HDD

:stick:

mad mikee
09-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Glad to see this place back up!
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1490 :YIPPIE: :cussing: :bsod: :lol: :brick: :bounces:

bldegle2
09-13-2004, 06:42 PM
so far, nothing but problems if I change anything in the bios that has to do with CPU/RAM settings.

So far all I can successfully do is disable the Full Logo Screen, change the boot sequence, make AGP the first read, that is about it.

Everytime I try to save and reboot, with the exception of the above mentioned stuffs, the system needs to have the CMOS cleared and I have to do it all over again.

Also, the darn CPU is running @69*C, stock cooler w/AS Ceramic, and at stock voltages all around.

This is not starting out to be a happy camper experience so far.

I am going to get another aftermarket CPU cooler, prolly a 948U, but until then, I am laying low.

Any tips or comments welcome.

baldy

disregard sig for now. :upset:

OPPAINTER
09-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Are you useing 1 or 2 stick of ram?

bypolar
09-13-2004, 07:06 PM
The shipped bios has a temp bug. I flashed to the beta and it fixed the temp.

And are you using a mobile?

bldegle2
09-13-2004, 07:34 PM
two sticks of Mushkin Level II, PC3500, BH-5 stuffs, 512 meg.

is that the problem???

i have some Mushkin 256 sticks, BH-5, PC3500, level II, i also have a stick of Corsair PC3200, 512 meg, BH-5 stuffs and several sticks of Hardcore Cooling PC3500 and PC3200 ramski, haven't tried any of those as yet.

it is a bit frustrating to say the least, but if it is a memory prob, then at least i know where to start.

i certainly would like to run with 1 gig of memory.

baldy :upset:

OPPAINTER
09-13-2004, 07:38 PM
two sticks of Mushkin Level II, PC3500, BH-5 stuffs, 512 meg.

is that the problem???

i have some Mushkin 256 sticks, BH-5, PC3500, level II, i also have a stick of Corsair PC3200, 512 meg, BH-5 stuffs and several sticks of Hardcore Cooling PC3500 and PC3200 ramski, haven't tried any of those as yet.

it is a bit frustrating to say the least, but if it is a memory prob, then at least i know where to start.

i certainly would like to run with 1 gig of memory.

baldy :upset:
Try one stick in slot one first, see if it helps. If so, then you can make some bios adjustments to set it up for 2 sticks.

What is your cpu?

OPP

bldegle2
09-13-2004, 08:11 PM
and got the 2800+, just in case i fry it while getting the clockage and cooling going properly. i have a 3200+ in the wings.

i am also worried about the 69*c on the CPU at stock settings and with no load at all.

it is the stock heatsink, but i would think even with the stock unit temps would be lower..i will be using air cooling until this is all sorted out, have a 948U on the way.

off to try the single stick as you suggested, i am presently using slots 2 and 3 for the two sticks of ram.

b

OPPAINTER
09-13-2004, 08:13 PM
The shipped bios has a temp bug. I flashed to the beta and it fixed the temp.

Check this out about temps.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=328318

OPP

TinTin
09-13-2004, 08:35 PM
The shipped BIOS has a temperature bug with Newcastle, it will cause CPU throttling, if you are going to disable this option, it will not boot. The BETA BIOS has offset the temperature in order to prevent this from happening and fixed the boot problem when CPU throttling being disabled, however, if you are using a Clawhammer, the temperature shown will be too low....:P
Nice to see the 3.2V Vdimm works with modded BIOS :)

bldegle2
09-13-2004, 08:57 PM
i am running @ 8x250 so far. thanks for the linkee. i was turning off CPU throttling, i suppose that is why it hung at rebootage. learning quickly..............

nice choices on the Vdimm, my 3.3 line is @3.5 right now, maybe i will pump it up some more with the pots so i can throw some volts at the bh-5.

anyway, got the single stick in slot one. what settings are necessary to run both sticks of BH-5 for the gig????

anywho, thanks again for the info :YIPPIE: and link for the beta bios info. temps did drop dramatically, but still seem somewhat high. once it is sorted, the prommie will come back online.

baldy :YIPPIE:

TinTin
09-13-2004, 09:06 PM
i am running @ 8x250 so far. thanks for the linkee. i was turning off CPU throttling, i suppose that is why it hung at rebootage. learning quickly..............

nice choices on the Vdimm, my 3.3 line is @3.5 right now, maybe i will pump it up some more with the pots so i can throw some volts at the bh-5.

anyway, got the single stick in slot one. what settings are necessary to run both sticks of BH-5 for the gig????

anywho, thanks again for the info :YIPPIE: and link for the beta bios info. temps did drop dramatically, but still seem somewhat high. once it is sorted, the prommie will come back online.

baldy :YIPPIE:

I have tested with a Giga of BH-6 (HyperX PC3000), it is running fine...
Some memories I have tested:
GEIL ULTRA-X: 512M X 2
HyperX PC3000: 512M X 2
HyperX PC3500(CH-5): 512 X 2
HyperX PC3500(BH-5): 256 X 2
Corsair xms 3500 V1.1 (BH-5): 256 X 2

You should use Dimm 1 & (2 or 3), I like Dimm 1 & 2

I got 256HTT 1:1 with my corsair xms 3500 V1.1 256M X 2, 3.2V Vdimm, and even with a pair of HyperX 512M X 2 (CH-5), I got HTT 245 1:1 @ 3.2V Vdimm with this LanParty MB. :rotf:

bypolar
09-13-2004, 09:14 PM
The 1G kit of OCZ 4200 will run 270 1:1. I don't think you will have issues with a 1G kit. and dimms 1&2 I maxed out 255HTT Dimms 1&3 hit 270HTT.

bldegle2
09-13-2004, 09:15 PM
9x250 with a single stick, gonna try it with two sticks, then call it a night. is there a secret to running two sticks, as far as settings in the bios?????

thanks for the help so far.

updateness, slapped in another 512 BH-5 for a gig total (slots 1 & 3), now running 9x255.

going to bed.................later.

b :YIPPIE:

bypolar
09-13-2004, 09:23 PM
No tricks for me this OCZ will only run 8,4,4,3.0 I just left all the settings Auto that concerned the Memory timings.

spaceman
09-13-2004, 09:29 PM
W00t, the site's back up, and I got the board runnin' now. :banana4: I haven't tried any OCin' yet, but thought I'd share a couple things. First off, I'm runnin' my mobile 3000+, booted right up AND correctly identified it. :cool: Also, you can run it with the Swiftech Northbridge cooler, but only with the stock X800 heatsink. The ATI Silencer 4 won't fit with the Swifty. I left pretty much all the settings on Auto, while installing Windows, and it's runnin' 2x512's of Mushkin just fine. :up: Welp, I just got done updating before I came here, so haven't really got a feel for things yet. Seems pretty nice so far tho. BTW, thanx to the guys that upgraded the site, we appreciate ya. :buddies: :toast: Oh yeah, thumbs up to DFI, for including DX 9c on the support CD. :thumbsup: The version ya dl from MS was givin' me headaches. :brick: ;)

Dissolved
09-13-2004, 09:44 PM
ive heard memory slots 1&3 will gain you about 10mhz..

gouda96
09-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Will big ram sinks (let's say 1" high and base is exact size of the chips) cause a problem with the zalman, or a similar sized nb cooler?

edit-> did the forums already get changed again shifting the avatar and other stuff from the top of the post back to the side?

Tony
09-13-2004, 10:33 PM
No tricks for me this OCZ will only run 8,4,4,3.0 I just left all the settings Auto that concerned the Memory timings.

You need to play with drive strength and a few of the other tweaks available in bios. I have seen ram that only runs 3-4-4 run 3-3-3 with a few tweaks ;)

eva2000
09-13-2004, 10:40 PM
You need to play with drive strength and a few of the other tweaks available in bios. I have seen ram that only runs 3-4-4 run 3-3-3 with a few tweaks ;)
please share :)

my DFI s754 is on backorder but still good to know :)

chickenrun
09-13-2004, 10:45 PM

Same here, 270x8 10-4-4-3 and 1T, no probs...

http://www.forumdeluxx.de/gallery/data/500/1701270x8.JPG

Got the baby upto 260x8 at 8-4-3-2.5 also (no real performance increase against 270x8 as mentioned above), but everything above is unstable...

Good to see that people like bigtoe are around :) !

Kunaak
09-13-2004, 11:31 PM
I have a modded bios that allows up to 4 volts for the Vdimm.
I tried to upload it, but I can't, the file is 293 k or so.
so it's too big

chickenrun
09-13-2004, 11:56 PM
so it's too big

Just give the poor people out here the LINK for download (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=328318&page=1&pp=30) ;)

Got it and will hv to see how much I can squeeze out of that 3.3 rail on my OCZ 520W ;)

H2OGun
09-14-2004, 01:03 AM

Oh yes, thanks to BigToe, I am a believer of these small tweaks now. My OCZ 3200 Plat Rev2, that I myself could only tweak up to DDR540, can now run at DDR580+ at 2.5-3-3 timing using BigToe's setting. Again, thanks Tony for all the help!! :YIPPIE:

chickenrun
09-14-2004, 01:07 AM
@H2OGun
Got a link for those settings or do you got it from the OCZ forum ?

p4z1f1st
09-14-2004, 01:27 AM
i would know the settings, too :D

kakaroto
09-14-2004, 02:07 AM
this new DFI board is really awesome.

mY first run:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~famchow/A64_3400/DFI/2.8GHz_stock.JPG
With STOCK voltage, OMFG

Unfortunaly the little bugs: wrong temp reading and some boot bugs.

Try the beta biossen tonight for more vdimm :banana4:

b0bd0le
09-14-2004, 02:43 AM
:slobber: this board looks :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing amazing. 3.1v stock?! Up to 3.5ish with right bios and good rails?! I'm curious as to how my bh5 will fare with this board...

Now i have a few questions:
if you were jumping into a64's, would it be a bad idea to pair a mobile with this board?
the booting issues with mobiles are due to lack of vcore, and has DFI said anything on this topic?
I'm hearing mixed things about what heatsinks this board takes, does the xp120 fit or not fit?
Do the sammy TCCD's really run as good as anandtech says they run?

I am very curious as to how well mobiles will pan out with this motherboard...
i'm wanting to pair a 3000 CH DTR with this :)
my optimistic goal is 2600mhz, realistic goal being 2500ish ;)

chickenrun
09-14-2004, 02:44 AM
With that config you're running in a league of its own ;) Great stuff !

H2OGun
09-14-2004, 03:25 AM
@H2OGun
Got a link for those settings or do you got it from the OCZ forum ?

I got it from BigToe over the phone conversation yesterday. He helped me to hand test my RAMs so he knows exactly what setting to use for these sticks. But, as he said, play around with the Drive Strength setting. It really helps a lot!!!

chickenrun
09-14-2004, 03:44 AM
Ok thx - will do :)

Zeus
09-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Can't believe my bad luck, got mine saturday but was DOA. :dammit:
How do you flash this 4v Vdimm bios, is it possible in windows with one of these programs, or do i need a floppy to flash?

chickenrun
09-14-2004, 03:55 AM
@Zeus

My condolences ! :( The Winflash Prog is on the CD that comes with the board...

Zeus
09-14-2004, 04:04 AM
@Zeus

My condolences ! :( The Winflash Prog is on the CD that comes with the board...

Thanks.
So flashing in windows is possible? nice.
Did you try already?

Dissolved
09-14-2004, 04:13 AM
Thanks.
So flashing in windows is possible? nice.
Did you try already?

i've seen others do it that way. seems to work Fine.

mikead_99
09-14-2004, 04:20 AM
so it's too big

No, too small. There must be something funny with the file host. My first download of that bios (found here) (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=328318) resulted in a 92 KB file size.....too small. I downloaded it again and got the full 512 KB file. Used the Winflash utility (@ Zeus) to flash and got the fixes and the VDimm options! Maybe too much traffic for the host? Try again though, you'll get it. :)

Dissolved
09-14-2004, 04:27 AM
Looky what i got :D

Dissolved
09-14-2004, 04:29 AM
Heres my OCZ Support:

RocKer
09-14-2004, 04:31 AM
this new DFI board is really awesome.

mY first run:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~famchow/A64_3400/DFI/2.8GHz_stock.JPG
With STOCK voltage, OMFG

Unfortunaly the little bugs: wrong temp reading and some boot bugs.

Try the beta biossen tonight for more vdimm :banana4:
This is :slobber: ,i wont it to,nice going kakaroto :bows: :rocker: .

DEEF
09-14-2004, 04:34 AM
Very nice mb. Im def gettin one, when they are out in Denmark. :D

Godmyster
09-14-2004, 05:02 AM
Also getting one and a 3400+ 1mb cache to acompany it :rocker:

bypolar
09-14-2004, 05:56 AM

I'll give it a shot and see what I end up with.
Thanks. :idea:

Fosco
09-14-2004, 06:43 AM
I got it friday, only black screen.. DOA i think.

"Overklokk" got his today, same prob there.

:(

Overklokk
09-14-2004, 06:48 AM
yes my card is DOA..... all fan +hdd+++ starts but no picture..... tested with 3500eb and some Twin mos, 9800pro and x800pro, 2 x 3200+ Claw cpu but nothing happend... just black screen....

p4z1f1st
09-14-2004, 06:52 AM
@H2OGun:
what the DRAM Drive Strenght does exactly?

and which options are available (grr...still waiting for my board.....i hope, it comes tomorrow....)

ugp
09-14-2004, 07:00 AM
I got mine and in my version so far I have found the only BIOS problems to be is if I change any AGP settings int he BIOS it will not POST. Everything else is fine.

I havent had much time to even mess with the board yet...I have been able to get 2.35 so far but that is playing with it for about 10 minutes. Hope to get more.

kakaroto
09-14-2004, 08:27 AM
small update:

mach 1 R507 // no mods

http://www.xs4all.nl/~famchow/A64_3400/DFI/3GHz.JPG

It seems this board is quite vurnable... want to know more about this.

Zeus
09-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I got it friday, only black screen.. DOA i think.

"Overklokk" got his today, same prob there.

:(

yes my card is DOA..... all fan +hdd+++ starts but no picture..... tested with 3500eb and some Twin mos, 9800pro and x800pro, 2 x 3200+ Claw cpu but nothing happend... just black screen....

So, i'm not alone here.
Did you guys also got a blinking poweled like i had?

OPPAINTER
09-14-2004, 09:11 AM
You guys with DOAs, have you tryed with just one stick of mem in slot1?

OPP

kakaroto
09-14-2004, 09:19 AM

OPP

I have the same problem...sometimes.
My board works OK and boot.
But indeed sometimes it wont boot with 2 mem in bank 1 and 2.
Very strange...

Zeus
09-14-2004, 09:19 AM

OPP

I did, 1 stick of HyperX BH-5 in slot 1, no go, just a blikning powerled. :shrug:

mad mikee
09-14-2004, 09:32 AM
He says he should have access to a prod board sometime between Today and Friday. He is in transit all over the place, so he prolly wont get to do much w/ it until sometime Friday..... Hopefully some more answers then.

While I get warm boot issues when switching settings, rarely (<1%) do I get really wierd stuff happening.

WRITE DOWN ALL YOU SETTING AS YOU CHANGE THEM!!!! :hehe:
I have had 2 occasions when the DFI UT screen suddenly comes back up after a setting and bios setting are now back to all defaults so if you DON'T write your settings down you may be :bananal:

Boyne7
09-14-2004, 11:53 AM
i just got my 250GB in the mail today, will be settin it up this evening. i cant wait to test this thing out....

Overklokk
09-14-2004, 12:28 PM

OPP

Yes....

Fosco godt the card booting with a 3700+ and Bh5 but it did not boot with 3200+ Claw and OCZ EB

I use a old 3200+ Claw and tryed Muskin level 2 BH5- Twinmos 3200 (samsung chip) and OCZ 3500 EB no boot.

I hawe ordred a 3700+ today and it wil be her on Friday... hope my DFI works then

Any other with this problem?

spaceman
09-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Man, the Orb seems to have a hard time reading this thing. I made a couple runs, first one's stock,(9x200) then @ 9x245. Especially check out my vid clocks, stock in both runs. :shrug: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3106945 then OCed http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3107674 Obviously, the vid drivers aren't FM approved, but you'd think it could read the board's settings better. :lol:

Tony
09-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Well its only PC2100 speed but check the timings ;)

Boyne7
09-14-2004, 03:50 PM
heh, thats just sick.
Got my board running, so far its runnin great with my 2x512mb mushkin level 2 BH-5
my 3200+ C0 1mb and my 9800pro

OSKAR_WU
09-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I did, 1 stick of HyperX BH-5 in slot 1, no go, just a blikning powerled. :shrug:

THE POWER LED will be blinking between cpu is up/running and finished memory testing ...

If the cpu is not up/running bios code , the power led will not be blinking ...

At least that means the cpu core is running the bios code ...

put a pc speaker to see if their is a continuously beeping sound ...

If the anwser is yes , that's dram issue ...

Try to clear cmos and put dram in slot1 or slot2 or slot3 to see if the system can pass the memory testing sequence ...

Boyne7
09-14-2004, 06:01 PM
im really liking this board. almost beating my watercooled 3200+/9800XT scores on air. and i still havent even done the performance aniso tweak or tightened my ram timings http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8117896 :)

spaceman
09-14-2004, 06:58 PM
im really liking this board. almost beating my watercooled 3200+/9800XT scores on air. and i still havent even done the performance aniso tweak or tightened my ram timings http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8117896 :)
Nice, you're beating my X800 Pro in SOME tests. ;) :thumbsup: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8117930 I'm pretty happy, I broke 25k. :bounce: Hey bigtoe, did it actually boot with those timings? :slobber:

gouda96
09-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Mobile boot problems fixed! (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3083655#post3083655)

spaceman
09-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanx gouda96, and Oskar_Wu, and Jess1313 . :toast: My Mobile 3000+ has been runnin' fine, but this is definitely worth a try. :) I know my 3.3 goes up a ways, never tried to see HOW far yet. :explode: :rotf:

Zeus
09-14-2004, 10:26 PM
THE POWER LED will be blinking between cpu is up/running and finished memory testing ...

If the cpu is not up/running bios code , the power led will not be blinking ...

At least that means the cpu core is running the bios code ...

put a pc speaker to see if their is a continuously beeping sound ...

If the anwser is yes , that's dram issue ...

Try to clear cmos and put dram in slot1 or slot2 or slot3 to see if the system can pass the memory testing sequence ...

Oscar,

I have my systemspeaker hooked up and there is no beep coming from it.
I have cleared Cmos at least 10 times and also took out the battery for half an hour.

I also tried 1 stick in slot 1 and tried 1 stick in slot2, slot 3 gave a continues beep.

Shouldn't be a mem issue as Kakaroto is running the same RAM (HyperX 3200 BH-5 2x256) in the same board w/o issues.

My CPU worked well with this mem in my old mobo.

Any clues?

edit:To clear confusion, i'm talking the powerled of my case that's blinking, not the onboard DRAM powerled or standby powerled.

OSKAR_WU
09-15-2004, 03:55 AM
Oscar,

I have my systemspeaker hooked up and there is no beep coming from it.
I have cleared Cmos at least 10 times and also took out the battery for half an hour.

I also tried 1 stick in slot 1 and tried 1 stick in slot2, slot 3 gave a continues beep.

Shouldn't be a mem issue as Kakaroto is running the same RAM (HyperX 3200 BH-5 2x256) in the same board w/o issues.

My CPU worked well with this mem in my old mobo.

Any clues?

edit:To clear confusion, i'm talking the powerled of my case that's blinking, not the onboard DRAM powerled or standby powerled.

I know you mean powerled of case , if the onboard DRAM powerled or standby powerled is blinking , your chipset on the board is " burned out " ...

Ok , my recommendation will be ...

1 . Take off the board , remove any thing including retention kit come with the board
2 . Turn the board to back side and check carefully if there is anything short between all the DIMM/AGP slot pin ...
3 . Put only the MB on an safe platform , remove AC power cord first
4 . Plug the ATX 20 pin and ATX +12V 4 pin power connector
5 . Install the cpu , put the cpu heatsink on it carefully
6 . Install one DIMM in DIMM3
7 . Plug the spreaker or buzzer on the front panel connector
8 . Plug the AC power cord
9 . Boot up the mainboard to see if there is any beep sound
10 . No beep sound or continous long beep sound ? Return it to your reseller and ask for an exchange ASAP ...
11 . 3 short beep sound ? Turn off the power and install the video card , it should be able to boot with display card if there is 3 short beep sound without video card on the MB ...

Dissolved
09-15-2004, 04:39 AM
OSKAR_WU:

This is Probly a Simple Question for you, But..

On the DFI, the Bios chip is 4mb? and the bios is 512k, So What happeneds with the extra 3.5mb?

Kinda curious, i mess with xbox bioses and such, so it came to mind.

Thanks for your time & GREAT work!

mad mikee
09-15-2004, 04:50 AM
But I have gotten 1800+ mb/sec (exact match - memtest) w/ 1 .5G stick of BH5 (2-2-2-7) and one stick of EB 3700 (3-2-2-6) @ 250 FSB (140/358 x 7) or (150/333 x 7.5).

Which would you go with, since neither seems to have much more left in it :shrug:

Zeus
09-15-2004, 05:05 AM
I know you mean powerled of case , if the onboard DRAM powerled or standby powerled is blinking , your chipset on the board is " burned out " ...

Ok , my recommendation will be ...

1 . Take off the board , remove any thing including retention kit come with the board
2 . Turn the board to back side and check carefully if there is anything short between all the DIMM/AGP slot pin ...
3 . Put only the MB on an safe platform , remove AC power cord first
4 . Plug the ATX 20 pin and ATX +12V 4 pin power connector
5 . Install the cpu , put the cpu heatsink on it carefully
6 . Install one DIMM in DIMM3
7 . Plug the spreaker or buzzer on the front panel connector
8 . Plug the AC power cord
9 . Boot up the mainboard to see if there is any beep sound
10 . No beep sound or continous long beep sound ? Return it to your reseller and ask for an exchange ASAP ...
11 . 3 short beep sound ? Turn off the power and install the video card , it should be able to boot with display card if there is 3 short beep sound without video card on the MB ...

1.done
2. checked thoroughly, no shortage whatsoever
3 to 9. done
10.with RAM in slot3 continues beep, other 2, no beeps

Contacted my reseller, now waiting for him to get new boards shipped.

Thanks for your help, Oskar Wu. ;)

eva2000
09-15-2004, 05:09 AM
can the bios savior RD1-PMC4 for 32pin 4Mbit be used on this board ?

Dissolved
09-15-2004, 05:12 AM
can the bios savior RD1-PMC4 for 32pin 4Mbit be used on this board ?

Yes. ive ordered one allready. Might be cheaper if you buy another Chip (dfi-street.com has a member selling the chips for about 10.00 shipped) you can just hot flash it, then you have a cheap spare.

10.00 bucks for a blank chip
30.00~ bucks for the RD1

Your choice :)

eva2000
09-15-2004, 05:18 AM
already have 2 spare RD1-PMC4s hehe

kakaroto
09-15-2004, 05:20 AM
OSKAR_WU:

This is Probly a Simple Question for you, But..

On the DFI, the Bios chip is 4mb? and the bios is 512k, So What happeneds with the extra 3.5mb?

Kinda curious, i mess with xbox bioses and such, so it came to mind.

Thanks for your time & GREAT work!

Its 4MBIT , and that is 512KB.
You should know that, every bios (SST = 4MBIT)

Dissolved
09-15-2004, 06:02 AM
already have 2 spare RD1-PMC4s hehe

Bleh, i wish i would have known i would of bought one..

Its 4MBIT , and that is 512KB.
You should know that, every bios (SST = 4MBIT)

OK im tired as hell (too much sitting on my butt watching memtest loop on my DFI)

But doesnt 4mbit / 512kb = 8 Times.. Meaning the bios is 512KB, uses 1/8 of the bios chip.. So what is held on the other 7/8 of the chip?

Edit: This mobo is Fun as heck so far! 260FSB 3-2-0-2-9-11 LDT 3x So far..

pot
09-15-2004, 06:10 AM
mmmm
8Bits=1Byte
ciao
Alessio

kakaroto
09-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Bleh, i wish i would have known i would of bought one..

OK im tired as hell (too much sitting on my butt watching memtest loop on my DFI)

But doesnt 4mbit / 512kb = 8 Times.. Meaning the bios is 512KB, uses 1/8 of the bios chip.. So what is held on the other 7/8 of the chip?

Edit: This mobo is Fun as heck so far! 260FSB 3-2-0-2-9-11 LDT 3x So far..

Wrong... 4Mbit = 4096Kbit (4x1024) include start and stop bit :)
4096 / 8 = 512KB!

Dissolved
09-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Wrong... 4Mbit = 4096Kbit (4x1024) include start and stop bit :)
4096 / 8 = 512KB!

4mbit / 512kb = 8 4096 / 8 = 512KB

Same thing?

so when flashing the bios chip with a 512kb bios file it Doesnt Fill the full chip is what im asking.. i think i need sleep, my mind is telling me that you could have 8 different or same 512KB bios(es) on a 4Mbit bios chip..

:sleep:

mad mikee
09-15-2004, 07:18 AM

I Identify with that (snore smiley, followed by zombie smiley)

I AM USING THE BSAV MENTIONED HERE, WORKS FINE.

Trying for more BWidth :brick: :bounces:

Joe T
09-15-2004, 08:28 AM
4mbit / 512kb = 8 4096 / 8 = 512KB

Same thing?

so when flashing the bios chip with a 512kb bios file it Doesnt Fill the full chip is what im asking.. i think i need sleep, my mind is telling me that you could have 8 different or same 512KB bios(es) on a 4Mbit bios chip..

:sleep:

8 is the factor between bits and bytes mate.

Dissolved
09-15-2004, 08:36 AM
8 is the factor between bits and bytes mate.

OK, thats all i needed... NOW i can sleep lmao.. Thanks..

:retarted:

mad mikee
09-15-2004, 08:59 AM
I LIKE THIS BIOS LOOK AT THE MEMORY SPEED FSB (AND ITS PASSING!) :banana4: :p: :slobber: :hehe: :rotf: :ROTF: :banana:
https://home.comcast.net/~mikeehrlich/DFIUT/dfiut.jpg

Oh did I mention there's a slight reporting bug at some of the dividers that show HTT as mem FSB :D

spaceman
09-15-2004, 09:08 AM
:d ;)

Dissolved
09-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I LIKE THIS BIOS LOOK AT THE MEMORY SPEED FSB (AND ITS PASSING!) :banana4: :p: :slobber: :hehe: :rotf: :ROTF: :banana:

Oh did I mention there's a slight reporting bug at some of the dividers that show HTT as mem FSB :D

which devider?

Zeus
09-15-2004, 11:57 AM
OMG, Please stop posting these screenies. :slobber:

I have to wait till my reseller gets new boards in before i get a new one.

Let me be the first to put down some downsides of this board:

-The AGP slot sux, the release tab is changed to some crappy meant-to break-thingie.

-The manual is very basic, not a word on the bios despite it's many complex options.

-The slots are yellow as a :banana: which holds back overclock.

-Can't think of any more, no matter how hard i try. :D

Anyone know if ClockGen works fine on this board?

kakaroto
09-15-2004, 12:03 PM
https://home.comcast.net/~mikeehrlich/DFIUT/dfiut.jpg

At what speed is it actualy running?
Is that PC3700EB? :slobber:

kakaroto
09-15-2004, 12:37 PM
I like my DFI every day more and more :D

Tryed a fully stable setting @1.7v

http://www.xs4all.nl/~famchow/A64_3400/DFI/2.93GHz_stable.JPG

Need EB's ram to run 300MHz 1:1 :D

@Zeus: Clockgen works perfect here ... only changing VID/FID is not possible.

Rudzer
09-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Is there a trend of "getting DOA mobos" alÃ:banana: lanparty nf2 or just some rare cases?

the idea of getting a doa mobo doesn't appeal me the least :/

ocmyface
09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
At what speed is it actualy running?
Is that PC3700EB? :slobber:

yes, is it your bh5 or your eb in that board?! omg i mso excited, one more week and ill be going A64!!!!!

spaceman
09-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Is there a trend of "getting DOA mobos" alÃ:banana: lanparty nf2 or just some rare cases?

the idea of getting a doa mobo doesn't appeal me the least :/ I'd say rare cases, look how many have been sold already. A few bad ones is normal, noone makes em 100% perfect everytime. ;) kakaroto, which chip are you runnin? I'm stuck with a 9x multi on my 3000+. :p: BTW guys, look at the bottom of mad mikee's screenie. :stick: :D

trans am
09-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Is the Command per clock option in the ram menu the settings for 1T/2T? I think it is, but I'm not sure. Setting to enabled or auto gives me 1T.

I want to get this board past 300 but nothings really helping much, even when using a divider.

right now I'm at 260x10 1:1
1.7vcore
3.1 vdimm
AGP is 1.8v
chipset is 1.9v(i have a 40mm 6000 rpm fan on it blowing down)
ldt is at 3x
cas latency is 3
ras-cas 3
tras 10
trp 3
trc 12
trfc 16

tony mentioned playing with the drive strength? What's a good setting to start out with? right now it's at 2 but I don't see a difference. options are 1-4. so which one's best for stabliity? 1 or 4? Does agp voltage help at all? I've left it alone in the past, but I heard increasing the voltage helps stabilty. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. I'm using ram slots 1 and 3

see my sig for what I'm using.

chickenrun
09-15-2004, 05:04 PM
@transam

Yes, that's the 1/2T command - auto/disabled will give you 1T, enabled is 2T :)

Can't get mine running at 300 from bios either... so far now 270x8 x4HTT works fine..
Even with ClockGen my mem (OCZ PC4200) doesn't want to go higher at this point, regardless whether I relax timings or set 2T command... :(

trans am
09-15-2004, 05:33 PM
@transam

Yes, that's the 1/2T command - auto/disabled will give you 1T, enabled is 2T :)

Can't get mine running at 300 from bios either... so far now 270x8 x4HTT works fine..
Even with ClockGen my mem (OCZ PC4200) doesn't want to go higher at this point, regardless whether I relax timings or set 2T command... :(

I have it enabled and during post it says 1T still. are you sure about that? I also tried the drive strength settings. 4 was good. but 1 made the system cold boot and no post. So I think 4 is probably the setting tony was talking about.
I really wish I could go past this 300ht barrier so I can get some more from this EB 3700. I seem to do 270 at 3-3-2-10 1T ok but anything over is no good. even at 3-3-3-10 there was no difference. 260x10 at 1:1 for now.
:( notice in the cpuz screenie, I messed up in the bios and had my TRAS at 2 LOL. I fixed it since. what settings are best for TRC and TRFC? right now it's trc 12 and trfc 16.

I tried 269*9.5 at 1:1 and that seems to work pretty well.