PDA

View Full Version : Ic7-G

hoop
07-27-2004, 07:34 PM
I was wondering if someone new of a custom bios for my mother board and yes i have the current one dated 4-27-04 but for some reason when i try to overclock it it make noises like a beep then another beep till i restart it like 4 times and then it reset it back to normal or defualt for some reason i cannot overclock my mother board but yet i hear you can and yes i am a big noob when it comes to this but i spent 160$ bucks for this mother board over my MSI 865 PE so if ya'll can HELP i would be so thankful.:)

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by hoop
I was wondering if someone new of a custom bios for my mother board, and yes i have the current one dated 4-27-04.
but for some reason when i try to overclock, it make noises like a beep then another beep, till i restart it like 4 times and then it reset it back to normal or defualt. For some reason i cannot overclock my mother board. but yet i hear you can, and yes i am a big noob when it comes to this. but i spent 160$ bucks for this mother board over my MSI 865 PE so if ya'll can HELP i would be so thankful.:)

First welcome to XS. Some additional system specs would be very helpfull. Please list, memory, processor, cooling, PSU, OS. Memory is important here since this may be a large part of your problem.

The "beeping" you mention sounds like a memory error. Is your system STABLE at the Default bios configuration? If so it sounds like you may be trying to take to large of steps at one time.

The IC7-G is an Excellent motherboard, and relatively easy to OC, especially a less extreme OverClock.

Following is a Picture of my IC7-G Bios, Obviously you don't want to start with your FSB setting at 300+.

Start near Default, set it to 205.

Leave the NB/Strap CPU.

Dram Ratio, since I don't have any Idea what memory you have, lets be safe, set this at 5:4 to start. This assures most any memory you have SHOULD post.

Next make sure your AGP ratio is set to fixed.
Next line should follow as mine does.

Next is CPU power, leave this at Default for now.
DDR SDRAM Voltage you may safely bump this to 2.8.
AGP Voltage won't be important for now.

Memory timing should default to SPD, which is set by your memory modules (not worry about them for now).

This is just a quick setting for you, I have no idea the procedure you chose to follow in your attemped OverClock, So I'm trying to start it simple...

After saving the above settings, hopefully you'll be able to procede as NORMAL.

You should have some kind of stress testing software installed to test stability. I prefer SuperPI, run a 1M, see if it completes error free, if so you can probably bump your FSB a bit more. try another 5 and repeat the process. Make a note of Stable settings.

This is far from a complete guide, I'm just trying to give you a quick and dirty point to start at.

Make sure to be as detailed as possible in your response..

System Specs, what exactly you've tried, actual numbers would help get a feel for your system.

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 03:31 PM
As for Bios, the latest Official Bios works quite well..

Suppose I should post the Screenshot I mentioned:rolleyes:

hoop
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
sorry about not showing my spec's

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/3307/ScreenShot0081288x1032.jpg

and i have 1 gig of ram pc3200
and i took a pic of my video card didnt no if you need that to so sorry if not.Need to no anything else let me no.O and i have XP PRO as my os.
thx for the welcome.

O and i cant even set it to 1 mhz over 2.8 or it just makes a beeping sound.

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Try following the procedure I mentioned in my first response, lmk if you have the same results.

EDIT: what brand is your memory? and rated timing?

hoop
07-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Centon 512 x 2 =1 gig in dual mode 400 mhz.

timing i think is 3.8.3.3 or something like that.
And i did set the DRAM to 3.2 thats the only way i could over clock it 5:4 would not work.
And i got it set to 233/149 right now thats it anything else my cpu would just restart as soon as it go to desktop.I got it to 3.01 gig right now bout it's not a 1:1 or 5:4 so cause of that im i not losing dram speed or anything else?

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Centon 512 x 2 =1 gig in dual mode 400 mhz.

timing i think is 3.8.3.3 or something like that.
And i did set the DRAM to 3.2 thats the only way i could over clock it 5:4 would not work.
And i got it set to 233/149 right now thats it anything else my cpu would just restart as soon as it go to desktop.I got it to 3.01 gig right now bout it's not a 1:1 or 5:4 so cause of that im i not losing dram speed or anything else?

Seems pretty obvious that memory is an issue for you. You should have no problem running 5:4, follow the attached screenshot, set your memory to Manual timing, whatever is spec.

sometimes when you use dividers the memory ends up setting itself to tight when set to SPD. I think that may be your issue with 5:4.

As for 1:1 it is possible your memory simply won't run higher @ 1:1, seems unlikely though, may want to give it a shot after you set timing to manual.

Also try setting your PAT/GAT to A,A,A,D,D, same as my Screenshot.

Your low memory speed is going to cause a pretty good sized performance hit, so getting it up would be an improvement.

And Congradulations on almost 3.3GHZ, not bad for a first success:toast:

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Hmm, having a problem today with attachments :p:

hoop
07-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Im sorry but whats PAT\GAT i have no clue what that is bro.

And what you think i should set my timeing to?

I play counter strike game 24 seven so im trying to get the most out of this.I own my own couter strike server and so im on it all day damn near.

O and hey my old mother board was a msi 865PE NEO series and i had that thing up to like 3.2 gig with the same ram i alrdy got now so thats wierd.
But thx bro for helping me im like really lost so i really thank you sir.

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Im sorry but whats PAT\GAT i have no clue what that is bro.

And what you think i should set my timeing to?

I play counter strike game 24 seven so im trying to get the most out of this.I own my own couter strike server and so im on it all day damn near.

O and hey my old mother board was a msi 865PE NEO series and i had that thing up to like 3.2 gig with the same ram i alrdy got now so thats wierd.
But thx bro for helping me im like really lost so i really thank you sir.

On the bottom of the second screenshot I posted is GAT, (Game Accelerator) If you look at your Advanced Chipset Features, it will be there on the bottom, try the same settings I've got in the Screenshot.

As for Memory Timing, try setting it to what you've already mentioned. 3,3,3,8 If that doesn't workout try 3,4,4,8. sounds like you could really benefit from some better memory.

For what its worth, I found the 865PE Neo 2 to be a pretty decent board, and my last 2.4C I had saw over 3.7GHZ in it..

hoop
07-28-2004, 07:51 PM
ok for some reason i can only over clock when it's set at 3:2 any other's it freezes..O and can you tell some really good gig sticks for gamers like me i mean some really good ram?

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 08:02 PM
ok for some reason i can only over clock when it's set at 3:2 any other's it freezes..O and can you tell some really good gig sticks for gamers like me i mean some really good ram?

Well if none of the above helps you I guess I'm stuck. It is entirely possible your current memory just doesn't like the 875/865 chipset. Good memory, what is currently available.....

OCZ PC3700EB, a bit Expensive, but great results.

Less Expensive is possible, but if that is within your budget it would be my recomendation..

hoop
07-28-2004, 08:13 PM
OC2 PC3700 EB is that compatable with my system and can you send me a link to where i could buy that.And thx for all your help.

Hey what can i use to test my system to see if it's worth ocerclocking.And can you list a link for that too please sir?

thx again bro:)

Karnivore
07-28-2004, 08:27 PM
OC2 PC3700 EB is that compatable with my system and can you send me a link to where i could buy that.And thx for all your help.

Hey what can i use to test my system to see if it's worth ocerclocking.And can you list a link for that too please sir?

thx again bro:)

here is a link to in stock OCZ (http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=163_520_327&products_id=3613)

This memory would also be well suited if you chose to upgrade to an A64.

The last part of your question? worth overclocking? are you asking for a program to test stability?

If so for quick indications SuperPI works well...

hoop
07-30-2004, 01:43 PM
say i was looking at some ram stick's and i found a pc4700 or something like that and it was a 550mhz ram i am currently useing 400 mhz so do you think my mother board will support that cause i read my manual and it say'sDDR 400/333/266

so does that mean i cannot use ram over 400 mhz?

Karnivore
07-30-2004, 02:15 PM
No 400 is the default speed, and has nothing to do with using higher rated memory, the PC4700 you mentioned is "optimized" for Intel Chipsets, however the OCZ EB memory I linked to would be a much better choice, it is capable of running much tighter (lower latency, faster) timing, and it will also still do high FSB, typically much higher than rated. It would still be my first recomendation for currently produced memory...

hoop
07-30-2004, 02:20 PM
sounds good to me thank you sir;)

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=163_520_327&products_id=3215

this is the one for me i think.

Karnivore
07-30-2004, 02:35 PM
sounds good to me thank you sir;)

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=163_520_327&products_id=3215

this is the one for me i think.

For $10 more get the EB I originally linked to, it will perform better for you, and as already mentioned, should you decide to go A64 in the future will do very well there as well... the ones you linked are high latency, and again will not be the best possible performers...

hoop
07-30-2004, 03:27 PM
I could be wrong but i thought you said the more MHZ in a ram the faster it would run and that one i want is at 550 mhz but if im wrong then ya your right about the other one.

Karnivore
07-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I could be wrong but i thought you said the more MHZ in a ram the faster it would run and that one i want is at 550 mhz but if im wrong then ya your right about the other one.

There is two determining factors for memory performance, one is operating speed, the other is latency (timing) Both are important to best performance. I doubt your 2.8 would do 275 fsb 3850... The PC3700EB typically does much higher than rated, add that with the lower latency and you should have the best of both..

hoop
07-30-2004, 04:13 PM
kewl thats what i will get then thx sir.

P.S. Have a good weekend bro and thx for all your help:banana:

Karnivore
07-30-2004, 04:18 PM
YW, Good luck, post back your results....

Perc
12-02-2006, 10:18 AM
not sure if this is the right place for this but im in a jam and the old forum they had for :wants: is gonne.. i have a ic7-G the the bios scrambled on i need a pre flashed chip with the ic7-g bios flahsed to it... anyone who can help please pm me. this is my mothers x-mas gift i built her...

thx perc

Modzilla
12-04-2006, 09:54 AM
perc, you have a pm

Synthohol
01-14-2007, 08:12 AM
now i understand about this board. it can be overclocked!!!
i had to turn off HT to get this high.
ill experiment more later
2.60@3.38 5:4 nice 30% OC! stock defaults superPI was 58 seconds.

http://www.liquidninjas.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=2709&size=1 (http://www.liquidninjas.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=2709)

other than volt mods, are there any more tricks up someones sleeve?