PDA

View Full Version : NF7-S 2.0 - Win XP/2003 hangs with SiI 3112 enabled in BIOS

MentholMoose
07-27-2004, 03:55 PM
I emailed this to technical@abit-usa.com a month ago with no response so I'll try here.

I have an NF7-S v2 with the d24 firmware. When the SiI 3112 SATA RAID controller is enabled in the BIOS, Windows XP or 2003 will hang for 3-5 minutes before the Windows loading screen appears (the screen will be black for 3-5 minutes before the Windows loading screen appears). If the SATA is disabled in the BIOS, there is no such delay, I cannot use the SATA of course. Windows 2000 doesn't appear to be affected. Besides the long bootup delay, Windows appears to be fine.

The problem occurs on clean installations of Windows XP and 2003. XP does not include a driver for this SATA controller so the hang does not happen until after I install the driver. 2003 does include a driver for it and the hang will start happening immediately after installation.

I have no PCI devices, a GF3 AGP video card, a single hard drive on the primary PATA IDE channel, and a DVD-RW and CD-RW drive on the secondary PATA IDE channel. My mouse is a USB mouse and the keyboard is a PS/2 keyboard.

This is not an overclocking issue because it occurs at default CPU speeds and voltages. Also, I've tried a few driver versions, including the latest on Silicon Image's web site (v1.0.0.50), the latest on the Abit web site (v1.0.0.47), and the version from the driver diskette included with the motherboard (v.1.0.0.45, I think).