PDA

View Full Version : direct evap how to artical

bowman1964
10-17-2002, 06:33 PM
well everyone has been wanting my specs and how i made my cooler that i built a couple of months ago so here it is.
hope everyone enjoys it.i didnt quite finish it but i might update it in time

http://www.phase-change.com/index.php?action=Articles_page&cat=Guides&id=23&page=1

will_perdikakis
10-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Excellent my friend , any chance you could make one for me? Just the evaporator head.

Very Very good article. What are the full load temps?

I am impressed.

NorthernYankee
10-22-2002, 05:15 PM
I too would be very interested in an evap head if you could make them.

--NY

bowman1964
10-22-2002, 07:11 PM
well i am working on a new designed block.if i can get this thing on a auto cad cnc will save me time and money.right now takes me 8 hours of machining to get it right.but if things work out i am considering building just evaperators.

bowman1964
10-22-2002, 07:26 PM
well i almost forgot if you guys want to keep up with my latest project.which will be using my new block ,and cool the chipset and video with a chiller.plus stuff all this inside of a custom built aluimium pc.well keep up with my 2 threads.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sh...=&threadid=4327
http://www.phase-change.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18

JNav89GT
10-25-2002, 08:38 AM
that rocks. Are you using high pressure rubber hose for return line or is it just insulation around copper. I want to build a system like yours, but I don't have any experience and this is kinda daunting. I am a quick study though and hope to learn enough to piece one together in the next 3-4 months. I have a buddy that works at cnc shop his dad owns so we could make the blocks this winter I'm sure. Problem is figuring out capp tube length compared with compressor and the other necessary HVAC parts. I can pickup gauges pretty easy but I am not sure what kind of vacc pump i would need, link would be nice there. And estimated total cost would be nice too. I mean if it's over the prometia cost them maybe I should just go that route. But your negative -50C temps are dead sexy and that is just too tempting to pass up right now.

bowman1964
10-25-2002, 09:14 AM
that rocks. Are you using high pressure rubber hose for return line or is it just insulation around copper
i am using a high pressure rubber hose designed for moble ac systems.the id is 1/2" with the capillary tube run though the center.
I mean if it's over the prometia cost them maybe I should just go that route. But your negative -50C temps are dead sexy and that is just too tempting to pass up right now.
well the unit that i have running now is about $200.00 us.but the unit i am building well run well over $500.00us but will stomp any thing else close in the ground.evap. temps should be in the -50c running under load with a built in chiller for video gpu ,chipset,and ram. if you think -50c are sexy temps look at what i have reached just playing around with my current cooler.

JNav89GT
10-25-2002, 10:19 AM
i saw that in your other post at phase-change. Damm that's sexy.

Bowman: how realistic do you think it is for the average Joe to build a direct vapophase cooler that will get to say -30C to -50C

I think the block is feasable with some imput on your part since we have access to the cnc.

However the construction of the compressor and tubing to a fro is kinda what I am worried about.

Also, the rubber hose, how did you seal that to your copper lines, did you use automotive adapters and O-rings.
thanks

JNav89GT
10-25-2002, 10:21 AM
And the reason I want to build my own is because I want a chiller that will grow with my pc's over the next year or 2. I am sure by then 150W cpus will be standard, not the 80W max or so we have now :O

bowman1964
10-25-2002, 10:58 AM
Bowman: how realistic do you think it is for the average Joe to build a direct vapophase cooler that will get to say -30C to -50C well to be realistic...-30 is very easy to reach with a machined block.-50 will take more than a good evap.the entire system has to be tuned to perfection.and i am talking loaded temps.
Also, the rubber hose, how did you seal that to your copper lines, did you use automotive adapters and O-rings. well that not a problem i used a parker hose fitting part #1t126-8-8.this fitting is designed to attach a ac rubber hose to a 1/2" OD copper or steel tubbing.if you look closely at the pic you can see the tube slides into the fitting.a copper sleeve crushes to hold it sucurely in place while a ac o-ring is used to seal the connection.this is a leak proof and permanent connection,with ablity to let me remove the hose to work on the system when i need to.
this one will show the fitting iin use.http://members.fortunecity.com/ajr011/phasechangeatrical/evap.c5.jpg

JNav89GT
10-25-2002, 11:27 AM
I appreciate all your help Please bear with me!

I have a line on a new R134A compressor/condensory unit for $85-100 that was originally supposed to be for an icemaker of somesort. The unit is reported to me as new and has fan for the condenser as well.

If you wouldn't mind, could I pick your brain on your thoughts as to the effectiveness of building a vapophase around this unit. I have clicked some of your links and started pricing parts and I think it's feasable for me to build this IF IF IF IF IF :p I have advice from people who know what they are doing.

So far I would have the 1/4hp R134A compressor/condeser and fan. I would get the automotive rubber hose to run to cpu block. My friend and I would make the block.

What I would need is tips on capp tube length, how to effectively mount the vapo block w/out crushing core etc.. Using mounting holes I assume but any tips you have would be appreciated, and I also assume I will need a pre-cap screen, a post evap dryer or accumulator or combo accumulator/subcooler.

Naturally I would like -50C loads but I want to be realistic too. I am fairly adept at assembling and have done some copper soldering but that will need some work as well.

What do you think?

aenigma
10-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Yes it is most definately feasible.Building a phase change system isnt as hard as it looks.As long as you have the tools.Most people have troube getting gauges and vacuum pumps.
I wouldnt get a R134a compressor, you know you can get compressors out of old refrigerators for free (bowmans compressor is a 1/4hp R12 refrigerator compressor)
Air conditioners also have nice compressors.

Go ahead and contact me on aim/icq/msn if you need any help.

will_perdikakis
10-25-2002, 06:32 PM
aenigma.

Are you thinking of ever building a cascading phase change cooler?
R-14? :O

aenigma
10-25-2002, 09:38 PM
What do you mean thinking of doing it? ;)
I have made a cascade system, then I made a 2 stage cascade system with a coaxial condenser.But no R14, just R290.The first one was R22.But if I ever make one again I will go with R50(methane) or something.Use a couple 220v compressors, a copelmatic 2 cylinder compressor that is probably 1.5hp, and a central air conditioning comrpessor that is maybe 4-6hp.

will_perdikakis
10-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Use a couple 220v compressors, a copelmatic 2 cylinder compressor that is probably 1.5hp, and a central air conditioning comrpessor that is maybe 4-6hp.
...and pop a fuse every time you start it up.

Why not R-14? LN2 temps 24-7.

aenigma
10-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by will_perdikakis
...and pop a fuse every time you start it up.

Why not R-14? LN2 temps 24-7.

Uh no you dont understand.You would need those 220v compressors, R14/R50 does not condense too easily ya know.
It wouldnt pop a fuse either. ;)

R14 is not 24/7 temps of ln2, not even close.
It boils at -127c.
R50(methane) boils at -161c.
Another problem if you actually went with r14 is finding it.
I would much rather use R50.

dmitriyaz
10-26-2002, 02:22 PM
aenigma,
check your PMs lately? :stick:
:)

aenigma
10-26-2002, 09:43 PM
Oh doh I never do.
See that is what aim/icq/msn etc. is for ;)
That "LN2 is for wimps" in my signature I removed beause I didnt want to offend anyone :p
I should put it back because LN2 IS for wimps, unless it is an actual refrigeration system.

dmitriyaz
10-26-2002, 11:06 PM
yes. indeed. thank you
:toast: