PDA

View Full Version : proper way to insulate an inline pump

OCme
07-22-2004, 12:35 PM
this is a pic of the CAT scanner i operate at the VA hospital in Murfreesboro, TN

OCme
07-22-2004, 12:51 PM
here is a pick of the pump that drives the glycol through the chiller that chills the x-ray tube. this chiller can dissipate the heat from a 5264 khu Dunlee x-ray tube in a matter of minutes... notice how the pump is insulated only around the inlet & outlet with no insulation around the motor

JSU
07-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Btw how powerful is that pump?

I would like to insulation in a MRI machine :) some nice liquid helium in there + LN2

(Just to make it clear to everyone that is a ct scanner not the same thing thay use for looking at bones)

OCme
07-22-2004, 01:02 PM
really not sure how powerful the pump is, but i could check tomorrow.. actually CT is better for imaging bones and MRI is better for anything soft tissue... I also do MRI's :D

S_I_N
07-22-2004, 01:12 PM
but most of our smaller pumps the motor and impeller are inside the housing. Where that the motor is external and has a shaft for the impeller. thereby making the chilled fluid not effecting the motor so it donr need insulating. on our setups if we dont then the pump housing will sweat/freeze up I guess you could place the pump in a basin and drain it periodically.

JSU
07-22-2004, 01:38 PM
so your a tech.... my dad is a radiologist :)

OCme
07-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JSU
so your a tech.... my dad is a radiologist :)

:cool: cool, i have been ARRT certified for 23 yrs now... does your dad do any interventional radiology?

OCme
07-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by S_I_N
but most of our smaller pumps the motor and impeller are inside the housing. Where that the motor is external and has a shaft for the impeller. thereby making the chilled fluid not effecting the motor so it donr need insulating. on our setups if we dont then the pump housing will sweat/freeze up I guess you could place the pump in a basin and drain it periodically.

i didn't get a pic of ventilation fans in the case that this pump is contained in but they are pretty heavy duty. the mag 5 pump i'm using will be insulated in the same fashion as the pump above leaving the back open and instead of a ventilation system i'm going to use active cooling in the form of a fan blowing on the back of the motor to cool it.

JSU
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by OCme
does your dad do any interventional radiology?

not realy, besides injections of contrast and the like.