PDA

View Full Version : OCZ DDR Booster - DEAD HARDWARE THREAD

Jeff
07-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Just thought I'd dedicate a thread to the toasted hardware people are going to have because of this piece of hardware. :devil:

Not saying that there is ANYTHING wrong with the product... I just can't wait to see people fry stuff and then blame someone else for their own stupidity.

Those of you who fry your stuff and are proud of it... I solute you! :up: Those of you who are going to whine and cry after something happens to your hardware... :smileysex boo-hoo. ;)

Let the games begin!!! :toast:

(thanks to whoever posted that FrozenCPU.com still has some of these instock!!!)

BTW... how about a contest to see who can cause the most damage to their hardware with this thing? We all must have some old piece of crap motherboard/memory/CPU that we can play with? :devil:

lostark374
07-21-2004, 03:21 PM
it is my thinking that if you cant live with destroying hardware then this item isnt for you ......that being said mine will be here on saturday or monday

Jeff
07-21-2004, 03:25 PM
That's the spirit!!! :toast:

I have an Epox 8RDA that is just a murdered piece of crap. Every mod that could be done has been done(and undone and redone and etc). I'm going to throw my BH-6 stick in with a crappie CPU I have here and just let the voltage rip. I'll try for overclocks first... then I just want to see how long it takes before something "gives". :lol: This should be fun!

skate2snow
07-21-2004, 03:30 PM
If sopmeone is not able to do a Vmod, he is not able to handle correctly a simple thing, but dangerous as that....

lostark374
07-21-2004, 03:37 PM
yoda?

really i suffer from tremmors (my hands shake) so doing vmods for me isnt easy i think this is a great product idea especially for people who run there boxes stock or just a mild overclock 24/7 but like to pump it up for benching. rip off the heatsinks slap on the dryice or the pc kick up the volts and your off and running now all i need is something like this for my x800 and im all set

Jeff
07-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by lostark374
yoda?

:lol: That was my first impression too. ;)

stasiu
07-21-2004, 04:00 PM
What do you really think is "gonna give"? I don't think this product is going to cause a flood of RMA's. Yes...this toy has the potential to do some damage....but the high voltage vdimm fad has been such a staple in most overclocked systems, even air cooled ones, for so long that this "toy" is hardly a revelation. IMO dimm voltage is the safest to mod. The A64's susceptibility to high 3.3 rail voltage isn't much of an issue untill you get over 3.5 volts imo. I've had sticks running 24/7 with 3.4 volts w/o a hitch, which is a max for many boards based on the DDR booster's own compatibility chart. The only thing i'd really expect to give out would be the DDR booster itself, sounds like its the mosfet gets pretty damn hot. Now...if they DID make a product like this for Vid cards and CPU's....lol....that's a different story. I can just see people coming home after they've gotten a little drunk, boot the computer up, and start playing with voltages...LOL...i can see things like this happening because i've broken things like this myself :rolleyes:.

thirdeye
07-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Jeff
(thanks to whoever posted that FrozenCPU.com still has some of these instock!!!)

yeah, for 59.00 + shipping, cheapest shipping to me is 8 bucks

nice to know you can always count on frozencpu to gouge for all they're worth.

skate2snow
07-21-2004, 04:51 PM
It's true that Vdimm rarely killed a pair of RAM's, but some might think that this i manufactured, so it's = safe, but 3.9V on some 1Gb hynix chips could give you a big slap on the hand....

mdzcpa
07-21-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm ready to fry something! Mine will be here tomorrow:)

STEvil
07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
watching my mailbox.... :D

LikwidKool
07-21-2004, 08:53 PM
You know Jeff I posted the same sentiment at another forum. To me if you vmod, you are prepared to lose hardware. Some using the booster may not be prepared, and will whine and cry and blame OCZ if they lose something. Let's try and not do that. Know what you are getting into, and the booster is not really a "toy".

BTW just have to say I am having a lot fun with my booster. Just so much easier to play with than my VR style mod's!

Çhrist0ph
07-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Im sure OCZ has bundled a hefty warning/disclaimer with the actual product.

Kunaak
07-21-2004, 09:23 PM
if your here afraid of killing hardware, your probably on the wrong forum.
this is XtremeSystems, not ChickenSystems.

you want average, I am sure theres a few other forums out there where you can fit in just fine.

around here, hardware failure stories are just the daily routine, pushing hardware to it's limits comes with risk.
but we talk about it here, cause we're all slightly insane.
we spend thousands, to get small speed increases, that sometimes barely add up to real world differences, cause we can.

thier are lots of things we all could do.
but each of us, are alittle obsessed in thier odd little hobby of ours for some reason or another.

if this little piece of hardware, allows some people to achieve, even a slightly better OC...
then it's probably in the hands of the right people that would appreciate it.

dead hardware comes with the territory.
risk isn't without price.
most people at XS-know this from experience.
but were still here ;)

I personally killed 4 AMD 64's from Vdimm.
I'll probably kill more CPU in time.
or videocards.
but I'll still be overclocking till I get bored of it.
cause like I said, we're all here, alittle insane.
after all, this is XS.
not "average systems.com" or a "OC alittle till your comfortable, then back down.com"

nope...
the title says it all.

XS.

Geforce4ti4200
07-21-2004, 09:39 PM
"NOT ChickenSystems"

can I get an aman? very well said! I am not gonna tell people what to do or not, but just want to make them aware that a64s do die from high vdimm, you lost 4 already. eshbash lost 2. with that out of the way, I may try this and a stick of bh5 ram and how does 275fsb 1:1 at 2-2-2-5 sound? anyone know what volts youd need and is that OCz booster capable? I will mod when itll soon be time for me to upgrade so if this a64 dies, big deal cause itll go out with a bang then ill install my 90nm and not mod

hallowen
07-22-2004, 12:28 AM
I Agree!

No Pain, No Gain...........:D

If It Wasn't Dangerous Or FUN, Why The H*** would we Do It?

:smileysex

Formann
07-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Killed my A64 3200+ Clawhammer yesterday. I dont have the DDR Booster but i still felt like mentioning it, cause i dont blame anybody but my self. Im proud of it, cause im no chicken. I feed my HW the voltage it needs to perform like I want it to.

Im a litte sad tho, cause my x800Pro VIVO arrived today, and now i dont have a fast system to bench with. I was looking forward to run 3d @ 276*10 1:1 2.5-2-2-6.

Oh well... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: happens. Maybe I should get me a new MB. The AN50R is known to fry A64´s.

Looks like I have to do some gaming to pass some time. Cant afford a new A64 until next month. At least i can play around with a x800pro -> XT :D

HawainPanda
07-22-2004, 01:56 AM
its not like a good thing for something to break, none of us want our stuff to break, its alot of money, so its only natural to be worried

Spec3
07-22-2004, 02:19 AM
I ran some bh-6 last night through 9.5 hours of memtest 86 @3.75V off the booster and all is working fine still. Maybe I can fry some pc3200 samsung or something because this bh-6 wont die :D Had it at 3.93V which is the max my booster would give without me modding it (which I will be doing) and other than it being really hot all was good

Steve

althes
07-22-2004, 02:19 AM
let the fun begin

WeStSiDePLaYa
07-22-2004, 02:35 AM
lol, ive never been able to afford a 2nd rig or some extra HW but i just got some mushkin bh-5 bought to go along with my mushkin bh-6 so i might try to vmod the 5v line to the dimm with a small pot. anybody wanna help me kill something?:bsod:

Cow2kie
07-22-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Spec3
I ran some bh-6 last night through 9.5 hours of memtest 86 @3.75V off the booster and all is working fine still. Maybe I can fry some pc3200 samsung or something because this bh-6 wont die :D Had it at 3.93V which is the max my booster would give without me modding it (which I will be doing) and other than it being really hot all was good

Steve
:flame: Did you try to oc it any when iat 3.9v?

Jeff
07-22-2004, 02:42 AM

Steve

That's what I like to hear. :up: (except... what speed did you get with 3.75v?)

DarkManX_BG
07-22-2004, 02:46 AM
Had it at 3.93V which is the max my booster would give without me modding it (which I will be doing)
LOL
Increase the voltage of a tool that's specifically made to increase voltage... I love this place :D

Spec3
07-22-2004, 03:30 AM
I was memtesting at only 245Mhz 2-2-2-5 because I didn't want to push it to far ;) LOL

Steve

WildKard
07-22-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by skate2snow
It's true that Vdimm rarely killed a pair of RAM's

Did you know OCZ 3500EL wont run at 3.5v 24/7 :) itll run about 24/2.4 then you gotta buy new ram!

mad mikee
07-22-2004, 05:34 AM
Yeah broken der HWare b4. :bsod: :cussing: :explode:

Now that I can get a tool specifically designed for the task....

ALL I HAVE ARE DFI UIs :cussing:

Oh well looking at mobile A64 / 754, (suggestions as to most usable W/O buying a 2nd/ normal CPU just to boot the first time?)

Cranox
07-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Geforce4ti4200
" I may try this and a stick of bh5 ram and how does 275fsb 1:1 at 2-2-2-5 sound? anyone know what volts youd need and is that OCz booster capable? I

280 fsb 2-2-2-5 1:1 @3.8v :D ( BH-5 )
Picture (http://users.pandora.be/cranox/ocpics/9x280fsb.jpg)

Btw anybody know how much volt a BH-6 stick ( 512mb ) may have
I know that BH-5 is rated 3.6v , but what is BH-6 rated ?

Cow2kie
07-23-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Cranox
280 fsb 2-2-2-5 1:1 @3.8v :D ( BH-5 )
Picture (http://users.pandora.be/cranox/ocpics/9x280fsb.jpg)

Btw anybody know how much volt a BH-6 stick ( 512mb ) may have
I know that BH-5 is rated 3.6v , but what is BH-6 rated ?

smokin, now on w/ some benchies!!!! :banana:

saaya
07-23-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by DarkManX_BG
LOL
Increase the voltage of a tool that's specifically made to increase voltage... I love this place :D

hallelujah :banana:

Garrett
07-23-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Kunaak
...this is XtremeSystems, not ChickenSystems...

...after all, this is XS, not "average systems.com" or a "OC alittle till your comfortable, then back down.com...

:thumbsup: :hehe: :devil: :)

masterofpuppets
07-23-2004, 03:41 AM
I'm gonna start a site/community called "We break stuff" where everyone has to purposely damage hardware by overclocking :D

Jeff
07-23-2004, 03:50 AM
:lol: I'd be a proud member... with a video or two to prove it. :lol: ;)

LikwidKool
07-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Kunaak
"OC alittle till your comfortable, then back down.com"

I think I may register that domain! I love it!:banana:

BTW Steve, (MrSpec) I knew you were a little looney, but 3.95volts! Looks like I need to try this booster in my P4C800-E to see just how high I can run my pc3200 Corshair bh-6. 3.95vddr sounds mighty fun:) Care less if I lost them, and don't want to try in my A64 rig as I am sure to take out more than the ram!

ryanpgroovy
07-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Did I just see a request for a CPU and video card voltage booster.

WildKard
07-24-2004, 12:32 PM
I dont think there is much need for a CPU Voltage booster, as most enthusiast boards now give you more than enough voltage and as CPUs mature require less voltage to OC high

HOWEVER...if you could manipulate the vcore vddr vref vtt on a videocard that would make for some spectacular results :) especially if it functions as good as the DDR booster...although this sounds near impossible...or is it?

charlie
07-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ryanpgroovy
Did I just see a request for a CPU and video card voltage booster.

Ryan,
'grats on the great new product.... now if I can just FIND one!

C

althes
07-24-2004, 01:08 PM
wish i could also.but its a great prodct from what i am seeing s far.

Jeff
07-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey Charlie... you want mine? :lol:

The first time I went to use it... it fried my Epox 8KDAJ motherboard(hopefully my 3200+ is ok). I set it up just like the manual says(even though an idiot could set this thing up without any manual) and when I went to adjust the Vdimm... POP... SMOKE... Vreg D.E.A.D.. Funny thing is... I'm the one that started this thread and as fate would have it... I'm the first to use it for what it was created for. :lol:

I'm serious about you having my Booster. It will be a while before I get another A64 mobo and I don't feel like getting my XP-m setup back out to play with right now.

If you want it... it's yours.

Jeff
07-24-2004, 01:57 PM
It seemed to be working fine then at 3.2v POP!!! Which is funny since I could use a VR to get up to 3.5v(didn't try any higher).

Oh well... it's my own fault since the board wasn't on the "approved" list. :lol: :shrug:

hallowen
07-24-2004, 02:02 PM
It seemed to be working fine then at 3.2v POP!!! Which is funny since I could use a VR to get up to 3.5v(didn't try any higher).

Oh well... it's my own fault since the board wasn't on the "approved" list. :lol: :shrug:

ryanpgroovy

Care to Comment on That?:confused:

I SURE as H*** don't want that to happen to my A8V/FX-53!

Jeff
07-24-2004, 02:05 PM
He's probably going to reiterate that the board wasn't on the approved list and that there may be a mod. that needs to be done for A64 applications...

Originally posted by andyOCZ
I will be posting a "fairly simple" mod on bleedin edge soon explaining how to change the booster for use on A64 socket 754 with 2 sticks and on all NF2 in slot 2 as required.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=501729#post501729

hallowen
07-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks Jeff,

In The Meantime, I'm Not So Much in a Hurry Anymore To Receive or Use That Item Until It Is Tested Further!:p:

I Want to be able to At Least Try out My New PNY 6800 Ultra Next Week Without Paying Another Grand($$$$) for a CPU/MoBo!:D

blinky
07-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by pc ice
im thinking vr's and mem mod's have worked this whole time...on most all board's not just what's on a list...so ill stick with the safe way''vr's;) my sentiments exactly

hey ice u get my PM with the questions?

Hell-Fire
07-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by DarkManX_BG
LOL

LOL...here here.

Its never ever enough man.

DarkManX_BG
07-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Hell-Fire
LOL...here here.

Its never ever enough man.
Tell me about it :D
Now we need a dryice container for the RAM :idea:

althes
07-25-2004, 01:00 AM
that would be just wrong

froudeg
07-25-2004, 03:54 AM
My own 'booster'

http://www.coolmods.com/blackice2/ddr-switchin-supply.jpg

Pumps out anything from 2.15v to 5v (adjustable)....Tis a switching supply that can supply 20 amps, doesnt even get warm...unlike the OCZ booster which uses a linear supply that gets toasty and unstable as ya crank voltage up very high (the regulators cant cope)

Garrett
07-25-2004, 04:07 AM
Nice... any pics of it 'in action'? :thumbsup:

froudeg
07-25-2004, 04:41 AM
http://www.coolmods.com/blackice2/switchin-ddr-on-ic7-1.JPG

267Mhz cas 2-5-3-2 (dual DDR), 2 sticks of 512mb
is lookin prime stable atm :)

Lithan
07-25-2004, 05:26 AM
I really like that device froudeg. Please pm me with some more info about it (or link me if there is a thread about it). I don't believe I've ever seen anything quite like it before.

froudeg
07-25-2004, 05:39 AM
Its actually a piece hacksawed out of an old KG7-lite (very lite now :hehe: )

http://www.coolmods.com/generalpics/kg7-very-lite.jpg

I uprated the transient load caps, put in var pot for adjusting voltage, nd altered part of the feedback circuitry.

Works a charm! - much more stable voltage then what the onboard IC7 linear regulators could supply.

hallowen
07-25-2004, 06:39 AM
froudeg

Now THAT'S what I Call "XTEREME",Man!:rocker:

This is what XS is All About!:toast:

Lithan
07-25-2004, 07:02 AM
So you took a board that (I'm assuming) used 5v for the vdimm line, vdimm modded it, attached a 5v line to it and a return line to it, and hooked it up to your systems vdimm line?

"altered part of the feedback circuitry."

More details on this especially, please.

froudeg
07-25-2004, 07:25 AM
By default that section of board supplied 3.42v to various chips on the KG7-lite.

The feedback mod i did was to reduce the resistance on the positive side of the potential divder that was used in the feedback sense path of the hip6012....this reduced the output voltage to 2.15v......then i put a variable trimmer (1k) across the negative resistor of the PD. - allowing me to adjust it from 2.15v all the way upto 12v (i limited it to max of 5V).

The power input to the switching regulator is 12V, but it could easily use 5V.

I replaced the caps on the output with ZL types (high current, low internal resistance) - the same sort you find on motherboards for smoothing the CPU vcore supply. This was necessary to allow the board to be used with much higher output currents - it's easily handling the load of my DDR, even when running prime95 @ 3.6v, the mosfets on it dont even get warm, the output inductor gets slightly warm.

R2 and R3 are the Feedback Sense resistors, on this application note (btw this is for a HIP6066 but the same application circuit is used for hip6012)

http://www.intersil.com/data/an/an9722.pdf

Fewture
07-25-2004, 07:53 AM
I'm totaly stunned man... Real nice :toast:

Jeff
07-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Fewture
I'm totaly stunned man... Real nice :toast:

I'll second that statement. :eek:

:toast: :toast:

blinky
07-25-2004, 08:49 AM
wow thats awesome, ill give $25 if u build me one ;)

or could u tell us how to make one of these with parts u can get from digikey and ratshack, like write up a little guide with the parts we need and the schematics :)

Lithan
07-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Yeah... I really don't have the knowledge of computers voltage lines to attempt something like that. You really should make a detailed thread to this. As I'm kind of at a loss for how you feed it to your mobo (I see two fet legs soldered... both positive?)

Now feedback sense I assume is supposed to show the chip how much voltage the ram is getting, so reducing the resistance to it makes it feed the ram less volts, and increasing the resistance makes it feed the ram more?

Really I am intensely interested as it looks very close to what I had ideally wanted to build for myself as a kind of adaptation of the OCZ device. ... With the help of people who know more about electronics than myself.

blinky
07-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Lithan
Yeah... I really don't have the knowledge of computers voltage lines to attempt something like that. You really should make a detailed thread to this. As I'm kind of at a loss for how you feed it to your mobo (I see two fet legs soldered... both positive?)

Now feedback sense I assume is supposed to show the chip how much voltage the ram is getting, so reducing the resistance to it makes it feed the ram less volts, and increasing the resistance makes it feed the ram more?

Really I am intensely interested as it looks very close to what I had ideally wanted to build for myself as a kind of adaptation of the OCZ device. ... With the help of people who know more about electronics than myself. yah what he did is the same as the OCZ device, i was thinking of building one myself, but i dont have quite enough EE knowledge, but ive been reading up

what that thing does is take 5v or 12v from the PSU, and use mosfets, and vreg chips to get the voltage to what he wants, lets say 2.8-3.6v for vdimm, and he prolly wired in a pot like we would on a regular vmod, to control the feedback resistance on that vreg. and the capacitors smooth out the voltage to prevent spikes

just he used a whole setup that was already premade just on another board and adapted it.

someone with EE knowledge should write a guide with parts lists and schematics, that would be sweet

YoupY
07-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Very nice piece of hardware :toast:

any chance you can post the sematics here, so we all can build our DIY membooster.

froudeg
07-25-2004, 12:38 PM
This board does differ from the OCZ booster tho....

The OCZ booster and the regulator circuitry already on my motherboard were of a linear regulator design. This type of regulation is very inefficient - it basically dumps the extra voltage as heat to get the voltage it wants, ie with 5v input and 3.3v output - it dumps 1.7v as heat (the amount of heat/power it dumps depends on the current but can be 10 watts or more etc)....this heat is generated by the mosfets...thats why there are heatsinks on the OCZ booster, even with those heatsinks tho the mosfets would probably overheat with high ram voltages (above 3.5v etc) powering 2 sticks or more - overheating will result in unstable voltages. Unless a fan is directed at them.

My motherboard mosfets got scorching when i did a 5v mod (changed the 3.3v supply to them to 5v), as it used a linear regulator design. Without a good fan on it, along with the heatsinks i stuck on, they would overheat.

This is why i cut out that section of KG7 - it is a 'switching' regulator, which is very efficient (80-90%) efficiency, which means it hardly gets warm at all, and can provide very stable voltages at much higher loads.

I'll provide more details shortly on just what i did to modify it. I could have built it up on my own PCB, but it woulda meant i have to design the pcb etc - which would need to be at least a dual layer design, not a problem (i design nd make pcbs's here often) - but i thought whats the point when i could just cut one already perfectly designed and built from that old kg7 lol :D

masterofpuppets
07-25-2004, 12:46 PM
NICE LITTLE DEVICE YOU GOT THERE! :O

Now that is what you call xtreme!

Lithan
07-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, froudeg. Please make a thread dedicated to your device. Also, a list of motherboards that use a switching regulator (or instructions on identifying them) would be very nice.

STEvil
07-25-2004, 06:16 PM
lots of Abit boards are switching based I believe... guess i'll have to chop up my dead BE6-II maybe :D

Tedinde
07-25-2004, 06:48 PM

The first time I went to use it... it fried my Epox 8KDAJ motherboard(hopefully my 3200+ is ok). I set it up just like the manual says(even though an idiot could set this thing up without any manual) and when I went to adjust the Vdimm... POP... SMOKE... Vreg D.E.A.D.. Funny thing is... I'm the one that started this thread and as fate would have it... I'm the first to use it for what it was created for. :lol:

I'm serious about you having my Booster. It will be a while before I get another A64 mobo and I don't feel like getting my XP-m setup back out to play with right now.

If you want it... it's yours.

Man that sucks Jeff. Mine will be here tomorrow. Im goingt to test it on my MSI sig board. Mine's not on the list, but i hope that's just due to OCZ not having one.

RYAN

if your reading this is that the case. Or was the MSI neo 250 GB testing and not working with the OCZ DDR booster???

I dont need a lot of volts. My OCZ 4200's do 285fsb 1:1 @ the MB's max of 2.82 actual volts. @ 3volts i can get 305 fsb 1:1 which i'll be happy. I'd love to use my good BH5's and put 3.3-3.4 to them. But i do like this setup and dont want to kill it.

I will be testing this with 5 other boards though. I see the IC7 is on the list but a IS7 or IS7G isnt on the list. and like i said i hope that because OCZ just doesnt have the board for testing.

This is a hell of a device like i said for testing before you do that volt mod to see if it's worth it.

Hopefully this wont be a very big "dead hardware thread", But your the first Jeff.

CrunchTime
07-25-2004, 07:33 PM
so is this booster available anywhere? Its sold out all over :(

xgman
07-26-2004, 06:06 AM
Well it is a good sign that no one has reported any death yet using the booster, but given time, I'm sure someone will kill something eventually. Also isn't there a chance of killing the mem controller on the cpu with enough vdim? This is a good spirited thread by the way!

chunkylover77
07-26-2004, 07:27 AM
I thought Jeff whacked his hardware with it.

WeaponX
07-26-2004, 07:41 AM
Froudeg, U ROCK! First the water cooled ram and now this!! GooD GOD MAN, start you own company and sell away bro!!! (or at least offer some to us :P)

Gamer
07-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Tedinde

I dont need a lot of volts. My OCZ 4200's do 285fsb 1:1 @ the MB's max of 2.82 actual volts. @ 3volts i can get 305 fsb 1:1 which i'll be happy.

forget high volts on that PC4200.
it doesn't even boot here at 3.1 volts.

STEvil
07-26-2004, 09:27 AM
if you will note, he said 3.0v..

LorD_Kvadd
07-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Froudeg, that's some xtreme piece of hardware :D if you do a thread about it could you have some information in it how you find out if the motherboard uses a switching or linear regulator?

Spec3
07-26-2004, 10:55 AM
To bad you need a motherboard for Froudeg's solution...

Lithan
07-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Not that big of deal in my opinion. If I'm confident I can manage making it, I can probably pick up a board that will work out of refurbs for 15-35$

aldamon
07-27-2004, 04:51 AM

Thanks for being the 8kda3j guinea pig. So much for my BH-5 / OCZ Booster plan.

Jeff
07-27-2004, 07:12 AM
Honestly... I wouldn't rule out something odd happened. Maybe if someone else is up for a little adventure they can try too. ;) For me though... it's just as easy to not take the chance and solder. :shrug:

`schr0et
08-29-2004, 06:03 PM
neat looking device man. The hacksawed board cracked me up... I was sitting there staring at that piece thinkin "how the hell did he get a PCB designed for his little project", then you posted the pic :D

Eh booster seems like not so good an idea to me, if you can't do a VMod in the first place then I don't beleive that you'll have enough knowledge of how it works to handle it properly. I learned how to vmod with 2x dead NF7-S (dead after I vmod'd not before :D)

`s

jinu117
08-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Wondering if something like this is sufficient in power or need a little boost...
http://www.wallindustries.com/pages/ml.pdf

scrible88
08-30-2004, 08:44 AM
I want one of these badly!

What do you all reckon it will do on my Abit nf7-s 2.0 with mushkin 2-2-2 special that maxes at 225mhz 2.9v and athlon xp-m @ 2600mhz?

iceman2g
08-30-2004, 09:31 AM
did froudeg ever put together a thread on his lil device?

stealth17
06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
did froudeg ever put together a thread on his lil device?

no....bump to this thread too! this little thing could help out all the dfi nf4 users that dont want to use the 5v rail!

DeltZ
06-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Rofl..this thread is like Councilling or...motivation speeches..

"I destroyed my computer yesterday..I'm not going to be set back..I am STRONG ("YEAH!")..I'm PROUD (" HERE HERE")"

me myself....I've killed a PSU and mobo in 2 weeks by accident...all happens at once tbh...Killed IC7-G trying some random volt mod (vdimm)..hey..doesn't anyone want to buy IC7-G missing 2 resistors and the corresponding solder pads? repairable....
shorted my PSU...by...infact..i'm not saying...cause it's retarded.....

Ahh well...IC7-G replaced by P4C800E-deluxe...and my Tagan 480 replaced by a Hiper 525 watt...so...nothing too wrong..apart from my P4C temp sensors are ATROCIOUS.

Lithan
06-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Lol. Only board I've ever killed vmodding was a IS7-E. Same exact thing. Vdimm mod and a solder pad came up. Just popped right off while I was desoldering the resistor. I might have been able to fix it with some very difficult solder work, but I had so many problems with that board anyways, I considered it a blessing in disguise and bought a p4p800.

Anyhow, best bet with DFI is probably to vmod it's 3.3v fed vdimm and vmod your psu's 3.3v line. Should get you up to ~ 3.5vdimm fairly safely.

stealth17
06-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Lol. Only board I've ever killed vmodding was a IS7-E. Same exact thing. Vdimm mod and a solder pad came up. Just popped right off while I was desoldering the resistor. I might have been able to fix it with some very difficult solder work, but I had so many problems with that board anyways, I considered it a blessing in disguise and bought a p4p800.

Anyhow, best bet with DFI is probably to vmod it's 3.3v fed vdimm and vmod your psu's 3.3v line. Should get you up to ~ 3.5vdimm fairly safely.

true but the exterior setup has a chance to supply cleaner, more stable power to the board and take the heat off the board mosfet. and who said 3.5v is all we need for our ram? :rolleyes:

Jethro
09-13-2005, 05:23 PM
My box died from accidental 4v on booster. My booster sucks because it doesnt do correct voltage when it first boots up, something has to warm up then the voltage works fine. Well this time it warmed up and was at 4v and something died i dunno what, i can only barely get to bios with 1 ram stick but for the most part something is dead. I usually leave my pc on but it had been off for a few weeks and this happend when i fired it up. I already got some OCZ plat 3700 and that didnt fix it so now im ordering a 3000+ to see if i fried mem controller. OCZ ddr booster is a novel idea but in my case is rather imperfect if you dont leave pc on all the time. To boot up cold at different voltage then when warm is unacceptable in my opinion, considering the damage it could (did) cause.

5days
09-13-2005, 05:49 PM
you want average, I am sure theres a few other forums out there where you can fit in just fine.
I dont have enough money to ruin my hardware, purposely or not. :(

*goes and finds another forum*

(only kidding)

Jethro
09-27-2005, 06:51 AM
The CPU was in fact what died. 4v is a no go for winnie mem controllers =)

eBoy0
09-28-2005, 01:39 PM
2x512 Mushkin Xp4000 not dead just error alot.

Ace-a-Rue
10-13-2005, 06:09 PM
My box died from accidental 4v on booster. My booster sucks because it doesnt do correct voltage when it first boots up, something has to warm up then the voltage works fine. Well this time it warmed up and was at 4v and something died i dunno what, i can only barely get to bios with 1 ram stick but for the most part something is dead. I usually leave my pc on but it had been off for a few weeks and this happend when i fired it up. I already got some OCZ plat 3700 and that didnt fix it so now im ordering a 3000+ to see if i fried mem controller. OCZ ddr booster is a novel idea but in my case is rather imperfect if you dont leave pc on all the time. To boot up cold at different voltage then when warm is unacceptable in my opinion, considering the damage it could (did) cause.

here is a snippet from a review of the booster:

http://www.burnoutpc.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=187

OCZ says that the booster can reach up to 3,9volts, this however depends on your motherboard and how much suffering your ram can take this in mind I started examining the unit. The OCZ DDR Booster has a large heatsink over the mosfets that control the voltage, it has a small rheostat with a warning wrapped around it saying that you should turn the knob counter clockwise before powering on your computer. If this done wrong it could destroy your ram instantly. 4 volts hrmmss.

i think this booster was a very nice idea but horribly thought out engineering wise!...why would i buy a booster to put into my system with the case cover on and be expected to remove the cover each time to turn the adjustment knob all the way to the left b4 powering up...i power-up multiple times each day!...good grief!