PDA

View Full Version : KD7 Raid?

Tiribulus
10-16-2002, 09:06 PM
Though I despise the onboard raid and sound neither of which I'll use, but I know Opp has one of these and Since the site won't let me email him, I'm asking him and anyone else who has one for a quick rundown on what they think of it and whether it's worth buying.
Thanks,
Tiribulus

OPPAINTER
10-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Tiribulus Welcome to Xtreme:toast:

So the site won't let you e-mail me ??:D

Well I like the mobo, I like Raid for one thing:D The board is a great overclocker despite a few problems. Problems I can live with are that the mobo gets very hot around some caps and mosfet area therefore giveing you very high temps with MBM. This does not seem to effect the Preformance I guess unless it has more capability of higher fsb and the heat is holding it back:D
I run a stable 200-202 maxed timings on this mobo, it has voltage for v-core up to 2.25 I think and v-mem up to 3.25 I think:D There's plenty put it that way. I love the t-bred plug and play completely unlocked deal. You can throw on a XP2200 and up without any mods and you will get all multipliers.
The mobo works for for me but I guess there are some out there that are haveing problems as usual:D

OPP

Tiribulus
10-17-2002, 05:38 AM
You know what i'm sayin:rolleyes: ...pretty late last night. Not raid, wadda bonehead I am. I meant lan and sound. You probably looked at my sig and thought "for a guy who hates onboard raid he sure is using it". I appreciate your response. You do seem to have a bit o hesitation. I've always gotten great results with Abit parts and they've been very abusable. Resilient as hell. I'd like to stick with them, but I am put off some by the onboard stuff. I can't help but wonder what it would do without it in the silicon. You can't even get a true hot rod board from anyone else either anymore anyway. The cap/mosfet thing is a bit of a concern because there's been reports of capacitors blowing with increased frequency lately and all that heat can't be helping prevent that. But I see you,re getting good performance out of it. If you or someone could point me to some of the problems that would be greatly appreciated though I'll probably buy one. By 200-202 I assume you mean the mem bus with the fsb divided down from there. I haven't worked with a bios newer that the KR7. Also are you still running the Samsung DDR? I remember you (and I) were converted a while back during the Samsung invasion @ Icrontic. Wondering if you still liked it or found something better. If this is all repetiton please forgive me, I just got here and figure it could be possible this is the 83rd time you're going over this. You're the only one I could think of offhand that has a KD7r and I respect your views. Thanks for the warm welcome BTW. I'm not a huge player over there but maybe you remember me from Icrontic.
Tiribulus

N8
10-17-2002, 06:01 AM
Tiribulus,

Welcome to Xtreme :)

Might care to do a search on that KD7 in these forums...between this OC forum and the AMD forum there is some very valuable info already posted ;)

TheDude
10-17-2002, 06:45 AM
Hi Tiribulus,

Welcome to the forum. I am running a KR7a-R, KX7-R and a KD7-R. There was not a huge jump from the KR7 to the KX7 or from the KX7 to the KD7. But I would think it's worth going from the KR7 to the KD7. As OPP stated, no volt mods are needed and the xp2200s and up are fully supported which is real nice. My first KD7 burned up within 5 hours. SB was very hot and others have reported same heat prob with caps. My swifty HS seems to have the added benefit of keeping my caps cool and I added a HS to my SB on my 2nd KD7 and it has been running Folding@home at 2100mhz (xp2400/15x140) all night without any problems. I have not had time yet to play with it more and am waiting on better cooling to really push it. I like the board a lot even tho I had to RMA the 1st one. You are the only one who can really decide if it's worth it to you, once you have all the available information.
:D

OPPAINTER
10-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Tiribulus, you have to get to Xtremesytems more often. Samsung is old news and Corsair C2 is the hot item now.

OPP

Tiribulus
10-17-2002, 01:06 PM
I saw Opps big thread earlier today and felt a bit silly seeing there was already a ton of stuff which i should have figured on anyway. Yeah, the no volt mod thing is a huge plus. Ithink I'll probably order one tonight. I ordered an XP 2400+ plus earlier today and figured it's probably time for a new board though the KR7r has been spectacular. Corsair C2 huh? I,ve been too busy with work lately and will definitely check it out, especially since I'll need ram so my daughter can use the KR7. Corsair is usually on the pricey side, but I have no problem paying for it if it's worth it.
Thanks again, I'll do some reading around the rest of the forum too.
Tiribulus

Tiribulus
10-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Email notificatin doesn't appear to be working for me. Hmm.
Tiribulus

TheDude
10-18-2002, 05:41 AM
Tiribulus,

If you are into Volt modding, I would give the KX7333 serious consideration over the KD7. The only reason I would go to KD7 is it already offers the voltage selection and the fact that it is fully compatable with xp2200 and above. Performance wise, so far I have not seen improvements over my modded KX7, but I haven't had the KD7 long enough yet to be sure. If I could combine the plus side of both boards, I would be very happy.:D

Tiribulus
10-18-2002, 06:33 AM
First off is that a picture of you in your av? That's pretty hysterical. Looks like Jeff Bridges though. Anyway I ordered a 2400+ yesterday so a KD7 would be the board of choice for that cpu i would think. Also yes, I've been known to mod some boards from time to time in fact the KR7a Raid I'm running now is volt modded, but the extra juice out of the box is quite nice.
Tiribulus:D

TheDude
10-18-2002, 11:26 AM
lol yeah that is Jeff from The Big Lowbowski in my avator..the guys at work bestowed that nick on me, so I started using it here. There is a resemblance in more than just appearance, I am told.:D Good luck with your new gear!

Tiribulus
10-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Can't wait to see what it can do.
Tiribulus:D

Marci
10-18-2002, 03:23 PM
I think the distinct advantage the KD7 has over a vmodded KX7 is that the fact that no voltmods are required on the KD7 means you don't have to suffer a major 5v drop when really hammering it. I have to admit now that i've had chance to run some 3DMark on the KD7 I'm feeling a lot more satisfied with it. If only there was a mod where you could add the aux power conn to a kx7 to keep the 5v steady (DDTUNG... this possible?? I wouldn't have the faintest clue!)... if that could be done I'd definitely go back to one...