PDA

View Full Version : Best Systems...

Svenn
10-16-2002, 09:31 AM
I've been using only AMD since I upgraded from my P450... But seeing these clocks from intel, I'm contemplating an intel chip... I am going to be getting a phase change setup (built by the hands of Punisher) within the next few months. I was planning on upgrading to the 2800+ when it came out, but I'm wondering if that'll perform as good as the highest P4s after overclocking. I'm at school right now, but I think when I get home, I'll check out the orb just to get a comparison of P4 vs Athlon scores. Anyway, just need opinions for my next rig with my first phase change setup... P4, 2800+, or wait for clawhammer?

N8
10-16-2002, 09:52 AM
Do your wallet a favor, stay AMD :)

If money's not at issue, buy a big ole P4. ;)

reupbert
10-16-2002, 12:12 PM
True that. Waiting for the clawhammer... don't hold your breath. Although P4's do have higher clock speeds, and probably clock higher OCing on average, AMD is the little alternative corporation that you want your money to support :D Besides, AMD makes smarter decisions about their processors - look at Intel and RDRAM - But what I find the most attractive besides price/performance ratio, is that AMD chips are still unlockable. This allows you to raise the FSB and drop the multiplier for improved performance within "specification"

gobbo
10-16-2002, 12:38 PM
Yeah, looking at the stats and early benchmark tests then the clawhammer will waste anything intel can throw at it. Something to do with the northbridge being part of the CPU??

Svenn
10-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Money is not the problem. I love AMD, I'm just wondering if a 2.8 Gig P4 will beat a 2800+ Athlon after Overclocking...

ExtremeAMD
10-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Well from the reveiws I've seen on the 2800, it beats the 2.8 at stock. I haven't seen o/cing reviews yet though. Allthough Intel will be coming out with a new CPU before AMD gets their 2800 on the shelf, so Pentium will have the faster CPU for now.

Svenn
10-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Argh, I'm seriously contemplating going Intel.... I love AMD, but the Orb shows how far behind they are falling. Let's hope the Clawhammers (or even 2800+s) are great O/Cers...